• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Question] Great Buildings for Chilling in HMA?

DeletedUser30312

I'll generally recommend the same things.

LoA at the top, it's a good GB for any city, and it makes goods if you're looking to trade. Same with the ToB, since it makes goods, although a smaller number.

Even though you want to play peaceful, you should still go for a Zeus and CdM. That'll help you if you need to fight for a DC or if you want to do a little GBG, and the CdM will provde extra FP. You can skip the CoA, if you're parking you won't need coins and the other two GBs are sufficient for limited fighting. My Parkog city has a low emphasis on fighting, and I manage well enough without the CoA.

The FoD should be useful for you since it makes goods and provides happiness, and it shouldn't clash with a medieval aesthetic. St Mark's if you really need the goods, but it's a relatively big 6x6. There's only so much space available, and you'll have plenty of coins from camping that you won't need a boost.

Maybe Basil if you feel a need for some defense, but it's optional, especially if you keep your plunder risk low.

Hagia's not bad if want to jack up FP production, but it has a pretty big footprint.

ToR definitely if you're doing any GE, but if you're not skip it.

If you feel it doesn't clash with to badly with your city, add the Chateau. If you're going to park, exploiting RQs will give you something to do, and HMA is a good age to do it with the Alchemists.

WinnerGR

I stayed in hma for around half a year to a year, my fave era to park chill and learn the game...
I spent 2 weeks in HMA but 3 months in BA !

I have been playing for 9 months so I spent a third of my time in BA !

I spent so long in BA because I only logged on twice a week !

Then 4 times a week in IA !

Then in EMA and onward seven days a week !

Then I created a forum account !

Then I was in HMA !

Last edited:

Agent327

I spent 2 weeks in HMA but 3 months in BA !

I have been playing for 9 months so I spent a third of my time in BA !

I spent so long in BA because I only logged on twice a week !

Then 4 times a week in IA !

Then in EMA and onward seven days a week !

Then I created a forum account !

Then I was in HMA !

You should have stayed in IA.

mamboking053

I'm thinking of getting to the High Middle Ages and just staying there to chill. Looking for peaceful/trading gameplay, I've been getting BP's for the Lighthouse of Alexandria (LoA). Which GB's should I have, and which ones should I stay away from?

P.S. For GB recommendations, I'm only interested in any GB's around the HMA. I kinda want to keep the theme and not have a futuristic structure in a medieval civilization; yes, I'm aware I'll be missing out on quite a few benefits from this theme choice.

The trading kinda sucks in HMA because no one really buys from those ages and the trading up process is very long. However...if this is the spot you've chosen, and you don't mind doing a lot of RQ's, then

Chateau, LoA, SmB is decent, but affordable. This will mean you have to farm a city full of alchemists every 24 hours, and it can take a bit of time out of your day.

Chateau, SmB, HC (LoA can be kept to supplement a low-level HC) is better. You will usually have more coins than supplies, but with the HC, you will have many more supplies to work with.

Arc, Chateau, and Active 1.9 thread is the best. Once you get your Arc to level 80 and find an active 1.9 thread, you will be able to gain coins and supplies for free. You will no longer need SmB or LoA or a city full of production buildings if you can do a good amount of 1.9 threads/day, but if your CF is still low level than you might need to supplement them with some of these buildings. This is a long-term strategy, but one you can carry well beyond HMA when you eventually get tired of it.

As a trader, I would also work on stacking up some sleigh-builders, which will help keep your current-age goods high and double as production buildings for quests.

I would also, then, be working on getting into a higher guild that can give you access to active 1.9 threads and higher age goods.

Last edited:

DreadfulCadillac

The trading kinda sucks in HMA because no one really buys from those ages and the trading up process is very long. However...if this is the spot you've chosen, and you don't mind doing a lot of RQ's, then

Chateau, LoA, SmB is decent, but affordable. This will mean you have to farm a city full of alchemists every 24 hours, and it can take a bit of time out of your day.

Chateau, SmB, HC (LoA can be kept to supplement a low-level HC) is better. You will usually have more coins than supplies, but with the HC, you will have many more supplies to work with.

Arc, Chateau, and Active 1.9 thread is the best. Once you get your Arc to level 80 and find an active 1.9 thread, you will be able to gain coins and supplies for free. You will no longer need SmB or LoA or a city full of production buildings if you can do a good amount of 1.9 threads/day, but if your CF is still low level than you might need to supplement them with some of these buildings. This is a long-term strategy, but one you can carry well beyond HMA when you eventually get tired of it.

As a trader, I would also work on stacking up some sleigh-builders, which will help keep your current-age goods high and double as production buildings for quests.

I would also, then, be working on getting into a higher guild that can give you access to active 1.9 threads and higher age goods.
thats a joke right? i somtimes try to buy hma or lower goods but its hard to find people who will swell them, so i end up having to do crazy things like offering indy or pe to get iron era, ema, and to a extent hma goods....

Bitter Lily

Why do I think you completely missed the point of the original poster's question? I hate it, I know, when I ask about options for my HMA city and carefully specify no Arc -- and get told, an Arc is the way to go. Sure, it's best. And when I opened a second city, it was my third GB. I want to try the power-city route just to see what it's like! But for my main city, like the OP's, it's out. That's out. OUT as an option.

As is the Himeji Castle, if that's what HC stands for. So you're saying, if I translate, that a Lighthouse will be very important, since the OP won't get a Himeji for a long time to come. (Until their city's Age can justify it.) Although others have recommended the Lighthouse already.

The only thing of value I find in your reply is the recommendation for Sleigh-Builders. I am taking note for my own city, and thank you for that one gem amidst the dross.

Bitter Lily

thats a joke right? i somtimes try to buy hma or lower goods but its hard to find people who will swell them, so i end up having to do crazy things like offering indy or pe to get iron era, ema, and to a extent hma goods....

I do think that Inno made a mistake in how they set up the Marketplace. Only your guildies, friends, & neighbors are in your personal Marketplace. If you are in the Progressive Era and need Iron Age goods, your neighbors will likely be of no help -- they'll be in the Progressive Era! So you need to (a) be in a guild with a wide spread of members or (b) have a wide spread of friends to counter-act this.

(Now that I've pointed this out, I'm going to change my policy of routinely kicking out friends who don't keep up with my development, LOL! And no, I don't mean interactive friends, I just mean Tavern & Visit -- and Trade -- friends.)

DreadfulCadillac

I do think that Inno made a mistake in how they set up the Marketplace. Only your guildies, friends, & neighbors are in your personal Marketplace. If you are in the Progressive Era and need Iron Age goods, your neighbors will likely be of no help -- they'll be in the Progressive Era! So you need to (a) be in a guild with a wide spread of members or (b) have a wide spread of friends to counter-act this.

(Now that I've pointed this out, I'm going to change my policy of routinely kicking out friends who don't keep up with my development, LOL! And no, I don't mean interactive friends, I just mean Tavern & Visit -- and Trade -- friends.)
Imagine if the marketplace was global, with everyones trades!the only trades you wouldnt get are trades from blocked people!it would be incredible.

DeletedUser36880

Why do I think you completely missed the point of the original poster's question? I hate it, I know, when I ask about options for my HMA city and carefully specify no Arc -- and get told, an Arc is the way to go. Sure, it's best. And when I opened a second city, it was my third GB. I want to try the power-city route just to see what it's like! But for my main city, like the OP's, it's out. That's out. OUT as an option.

As is the Himeji Castle, if that's what HC stands for. So you're saying, if I translate, that a Lighthouse will be very important, since the OP won't get a Himeji for a long time to come. (Until their city's Age can justify it.) Although others have recommended the Lighthouse already.

The only thing of value I find in your reply is the recommendation for Sleigh-Builders. I am taking note for my own city, and thank you for that one gem amidst the dross.

Exactly. :^(

Imagine if the marketplace was global, with everyones trades!the only trades you wouldnt get are trades from blocked people!it would be incredible.

At this point, we're dragging away from the main topic of the discussion, but yeah, I agree. I was surprised when I first found out that the marketplace was not global.

Algona

If you are in the Progressive Era and need Iron Age goods,..

...you are doing something unusual and you should have to work a little to get the Goods.

Just like you have to do something unusual o get advanced Era Goods.

You just gotta find a vendor. Although there is an alternative.

I'm in CE, needed a few thousand Gold. Built a bunch of Copper Mines and traded in lots of 200 of my Copper for 180 Gold. I eventually got all I needed.

Yeah, crazy, huh? Trading at a disadvantage. In a world where everyone else wants to trade to their advantage (A bit of foreshadowing. Ominous, eh?) it does assure fast turnover.

A worldwide marketplace though would make getting any Goods way too easy. It would actually allow fr players to do the the mythical buy 1000 advanced Era Goods and trade down to have 10,000,000 current Era Goods.

It would also lead to a lot more...

Inno made a mistake in how they set up the Marketplace.
Imagine if the marketplace was global,
I was surprised when I first found out that the marketplace was not global.

...trade spammers.

You don't have much experience with players who spam hundreds of bad trades.

A global marketplace assures more folk posting more bad trades.

A bit of a phone / PC / internet clog to download hundreds of thousand of trades every time you open the marketplace.

DreadfulCadillac

...you are doing something unusual and you should have to work a little to get the Goods.

Just like you have to do something unusual o get advanced Era Goods.

You just gotta find a vendor. Although there is an alternative.

I'm in CE, needed a few thousand Gold. Built a bunch of Copper Mines and traded in lots of 200 of my Copper for 180 Gold. I eventually got all I needed.

Yeah, crazy, huh? Trading at a disadvantage. In a world where everyone else wants to trade to their advantage (A bit of foreshadowing. Ominous, eh?) it does assure fast turnover.

A worldwide marketplace though would make getting any Goods way too easy. It would actually allow fr players to do the the mythical buy 1000 advanced Era Goods and trade down to have 10,000,000 current Era Goods.

It would also lead to a lot more...
...trade spammers.

You don't have much experience with players who spam hundreds of bad trades.

A global marketplace assures more folk posting more bad trades.

A bit of a phone / PC / internet clog to download hundreds of thousand of trades every time you open the marketplace.
I don't have much experience with myself then?
I've been the player who spams 200 trades before..i mighta went up to 300 at once before?

I agree with this, i trade at a disadvatage(jump multiple eras, harm myself) and get my trades picked up very fast..I know a few other players on Jaims who do the same,im sure there is many more.
It would actually allow fr players to do the the mythical buy 1000 advanced Era Goods and trade down to have 10,000,000 current Era Goods.
Somehow i can already do that huh? Easy...Just do a bunch of guild hopping in active guilds and if you really want to, there are ways to get whatever goods you need at any time.
---------------------------------
The internet lag point is very good though, so now i get why a global market might not be the best thing...

DreadfulCadillac

If you are in the Progressive Era and need Iron Age goods,
You trade down your progressive for industrial/colonial thenn offer that for IA goods or just straigt up trade PE for IA...dont worry there will be someone who has it.Or find a vendor to buy the goods from..SOMEHOW im in PE, and manage to keep a sizeable stock of ia.
Just 2 weeks ago Somebody gave me 2500 SAM(space age mars) for 5000 EMA, and 2500 AF for 5000 HMA....
TRUST ME.There are ways to get goods if you need them.

DeletedUser40883

I stayed in HMA for over a year. I had Arc, SoZ, CdM, CoA, CF, LoA, SMB, HS, and ToR. The rest of my base was Event buildings, SoK's and Alchemists. Shortly before I advanced in age I built HC, TA, BG, and CC.

I highly recommend CF/LoA/SMB. You will need the coin and supply boost from LoA and SMB. I had my CF lvl 20 but wish I had leveled it much higher while in HMA.

SoZ/CdM/CoA are all good. SoZ is tiny and cheap to level. CdM has the FP bonus. CoA is the least important because it gives coins. But get all three to lvl 10 and you can fight your way through most of GE. (you said you're not focusing on fighting, but these GBs can still save you a lot of goods if you fight through GE rather than negotiate)

If you do GE then you should have ToR.

HS for happiness. There are better ways to get happiness, but i liked the FP/happiness combo.

eventually I had HC, TA, BG, and CC... CC is another one that would have been nice to have earlier. TA is not at all necessary if you're just arriving in HMA. BG is really nice if you have completed many special events and have a lot of Unique buildings, but it's not for everybody, and definitely not for a young base. HC is good, but not one that you need to focus on for now

WinnerGR

I stayed in HMA for over a year. I had Arc, SoZ, CdM, CoA, CF, LoA, SMB, HS, and ToR. The rest of my base was Event buildings, SoK's and Alchemists. Shortly before I advanced in age I built HC, TA, BG, and CC.

I highly recommend CF/LoA/SMB. You will need the coin and supply boost from LoA and SMB. I had my CF lvl 20 but wish I had leveled it much higher while in HMA.

SoZ/CdM/CoA are all good. SoZ is tiny and cheap to level. CdM has the FP bonus. CoA is the least important because it gives coins. But get all three to lvl 10 and you can fight your way through most of GE. (you said you're not focusing on fighting, but these GBs can still save you a lot of goods if you fight through GE rather than negotiate)

If you do GE then you should have ToR.

HS for happiness. There are better ways to get happiness, but i liked the FP/happiness combo.

eventually I had HC, TA, BG, and CC... CC is another one that would have been nice to have earlier. TA is not at all necessary if you're just arriving in HMA. BG is really nice if you have completed many special events and have a lot of Unique buildings, but it's not for everybody, and definitely not for a young base. HC is good, but not one that you need to focus on for now
I recommend doing all this in LMA.