• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Question] Great Buildings for Chilling in HMA?

DeletedUser36880

I'm thinking of getting to the High Middle Ages and just staying there to chill. Looking for peaceful/trading gameplay, I've been getting BP's for the Lighthouse of Alexandria (LoA). Which GB's should I have, and which ones should I stay away from?

P.S. For GB recommendations, I'm only interested in any GB's around the HMA. I kinda want to keep the theme and not have a futuristic structure in a medieval civilization; yes, I'm aware I'll be missing out on quite a few benefits from this theme choice.

Captain Christian

I would DEFINITELY recomment the L.O.A. other than that and the T.o.R., I can not think of any other Up-To-That-Era G.B.s that are worth it.

Super Catanian

Anyways, as mentioned, the Lighthouse of Alexandria helps with getting more Supplies and HMA Goods. A Statue of Zeus and Cathedral of Aachen will help if you like fighting. A Hagia Sophia, once in a high level, provides a good amount of Forge Points and helps keep your people enthusiastic. Even a Saint Mark's Basilica will help with getting more Coins for buying FP. Those are your options if, as you say...
I kinda want to keep the theme and not have a futuristic structure in a medieval civilization

Last edited by a moderator:

WinnerGR

I'm thinking of getting to the High Middle Ages and just staying there to chill. Looking for peaceful/trading gameplay, I've been getting BP's for the Lighthouse of Alexandria (LoA). Which GB's should I have, and which ones should I stay away from?

P.S. For GB recommendations, I'm only interested in any GB's around the HMA. I kinda want to keep the theme and not have a futuristic structure in a medieval civilization; yes, I'm aware I'll be missing out on quite a few benefits from this theme choice.
Chill in LMA / I mean park in LMA .

Godly Luke

LoA, ToR, CDM, Zeus, CoA, Arc, TA, and Inno

AutomatedTeller

Castel is good, thought it's LMA. ToB is useful - gives you some pop and goods and is cheap, so levels easily. More pop means you can have fewer houses and more alchemists. Just a thought.

BruteForceAttack

LoA, SMB, Hagia and CDM, if you fight add Zeus/CoA/

If you do RQ consider adding Chateau (it kinda sorta fits with Hma Color scheme too..)

DevaCat

HMA is a good age to stay in for a while, build and level some GBs. All good suggestions already mentioned. But HMA is also one of the very good ages in which to do recurring quests (RQs); the HMA Alchemist has a small footprint and in pairs lets you do 24-hr RQs.

Take a look at the Chateau Frontenac. It multiplies the rewards from completing each RQ, and that multiplier grows with the levels you add. Take goods for example. The base reward from a RQ for goods is 5 and without the CF it stays at 5 regardless of what age/era you're in. With the CF that reward increases with each level you add to the GB. So, with a few levels on the CF, using Alchemists I was able to get rid of my goods buildings completely and also ditch the residentials that had supported them. Oh my, look at all that space! So of course I planted a few more Alchemists and had space for SoKs as I got them, adding FPs to my daily haul. Do some research, I think you'll like it.

As for looks, I've had one in EMA, HMA, and LMA and it blends in pretty well. Nowhere near as jarring as say an Arc or BG regarding aesthetics.

Agent327

Why do you need recommendations? You want a peaceful/trading game. You do not want to have GB's above your era, so the number to pick from is limited. 11 in total if you include those with No Age, but since they do not fit your player wishes it is 8. Of those 8, only 3 fit a trader. How hard is that to figure out?

DeletedUser36880

HMA is a good age to stay in for a while, build and level some GBs. All good suggestions already mentioned. But HMA is also one of the very good ages in which to do recurring quests (RQs); the HMA Alchemist has a small footprint and in pairs lets you do 24-hr RQs.

Take a look at the Chateau Frontenac. It multiplies the rewards from completing each RQ, and that multiplier grows with the levels you add. Take goods for example. The base reward from a RQ for goods is 5 and without the CF it stays at 5 regardless of what age/era you're in. With the CF that reward increases with each level you add to the GB. So, with a few levels on the CF, using Alchemists I was able to get rid of my goods buildings completely and also ditch the residentials that had supported them. Oh my, look at all that space! So of course I planted a few more Alchemists and had space for SoKs as I got them, adding FPs to my daily haul. Do some research, I think you'll like it.

As for looks, I've had one in EMA, HMA, and LMA and it blends in pretty well. Nowhere near as jarring as say an Arc or BG regarding aesthetics.

Thanks for the reply AND even more tips for HMA! I'll look into the Chateau Frontenac. It looks like a great addition.

Castel is good, thought it's LMA. ToB is useful - gives you some pop and goods and is cheap, so levels easily. More pop means you can have fewer houses and more alchemists. Just a thought.

That actually sounds like a pretty good plan! With the Chateau Frontenac above (and aiding daily), I think coin production can be managed with the lack of houses.

DeletedUser36880

LoA, SMB, Hagia and CDM, if you fight add Zeus/CoA/

If you do RQ consider adding Chateau (it kinda sorta fits with Hma Color scheme too..)

I agree on your point about the color scheme. Not to mention the architecture has a few hints of HMA in it.

Edit: I just mapped out my city on the old City Planner site, and I've got to say that at first sight, Chateau doesn't like like it's in PE at all. It fits perfectly!

Last edited by a moderator:

DevaCat

Thanks for the reply AND even more tips for HMA! I'll look into the Chateau Frontenac. It looks like a great addition.

That actually sounds like a pretty good plan! With the Chateau Frontenac above (and aiding daily), I think coin production can be managed with the lack of houses.
If you add a St Marks as @Super Catanian mentioned and you have the Chateau as well coins will no longer be an issue!

Bitter Lily

I applaud your attention to the aesthetics of your city! I've given myself the same constraint for my main city, and it's challenging. I'd ignore most of the GBs you might otherwise consider, sadly, because they're large & the Event buildings or sets have gotten so good. Hagia Sophia & St. Mark's Basilica have certainly ended up falling by the wayside for me. However, the Lighthouse was a must, and I like my Babel. Relics is a must if you do GE -- and if you do, you have a guild, and they deserve an Observatory (given no Arc). Zeus is easy to place and level; I figured that level 5 or so wouldn't hurt me none.

Moving beyond the early or no-Age GBs, the Castel del Monte is a "must have" source of FPs for me. The Chateau Frontenac is indeed exciting, and not too far beyond our theme, especially if we build Lord's Manors & Aviaries and similar architectural buildings; happily, I just built mine! I'm striving currently to get a complete set of prints for two more GBs I consider vital: the Frauenkirche of Dresden, for its goods, and an oft-overlooked GB from the far future that actually will meet our limits on architecture: The Statue of Gaea. I highly, highly recommend checking it out as a high-powered source of happiness and medals.

-Sebastian-

I don't have any advice that hasn't already been offered. But I did something similar when I camped in Iron Age, with one big exception - the Arc. I enjoyed how it looked when I had a city filled with rows and rows of tiny red-roofed cottages, and then this gigantic Lovecraftian monstrosity, bubbling out of the ground, right in the middle. There was a road leading straight down the center from my Town Hall to my Arc, and it seemed like the route they'd use to take human sacrifices to the altar of the Outer Gods. But I'm weird like that. :)

DeletedUser36880

I applaud your attention to the aesthetics of your city! I've given myself the same constraint for my main city, and it's challenging. I'd ignore most of the GBs you might otherwise consider, sadly, because they're large & the Event buildings or sets have gotten so good. Hagia Sophia & St. Mark's Basilica have certainly ended up falling by the wayside for me. However, the Lighthouse was a must, and I like my Babel. Relics is a must if you do GE -- and if you do, you have a guild, and they deserve an Observatory (given no Arc). Zeus is easy to place and level; I figured that level 5 or so wouldn't hurt me none.

Moving beyond the early or no-Age GBs, the Castel del Monte is a "must have" source of FPs for me. The Chateau Frontenac is indeed exciting, and not too far beyond our theme, especially if we build Lord's Manors & Aviaries and similar architectural buildings; happily, I just built mine! I'm striving currently to get a complete set of prints for two more GBs I consider vital: the Frauenkirche of Dresden, for its goods, and an oft-overlooked GB from the far future that actually will meet our limits on architecture: The Statue of Gaea. I highly, highly recommend checking it out as a high-powered source of happiness and medals.

Thank you for your input! I'm glad to the opinions of someone who is taking on the same challenge. :^)

I don't have any advice that hasn't already been offered. But I did something similar when I camped in Iron Age, with one big exception - the Arc. I enjoyed how it looked when I had a city filled with rows and rows of tiny red-roofed cottages, and then this gigantic Lovecraftian monstrosity, bubbling out of the ground, right in the middle. There was a road leading straight down the center from my Town Hall to my Arc, and it seemed like the route they'd use to take human sacrifices to the altar of the Outer Gods. But I'm weird like that. :)

I think that's an interesting choice in city planning, especially considering it's not just a giant, mangled mess like others'.

Bitter Lily

I love your concept! Adore it, in fact. Would rush to adopt it, if I hadn't already plunked a Black Tower in my city and developed a story line about the Black Wizard who rules the city -- and is in conflict with the del Monte family who moved to town and have been bringing new ideas of architecture . . . and a Church!