• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Great Buildings with even greater potential?

I have a question on the GBs in the lower levels. It seems so many of the GBs in the lower levels are just dismissed as junk buildings, because they no longer produce in an amount that makes them desirable. My question is this: Would the developers consider this and perhaps redevelop the GBs to be something more desirable? I think that St. Basil's is beautiful, and the Colosseum, so beautiful, Sophia Hagia, so large but so nice graphic-wise. However every guild member says "Tear that thing down!" Its a waste of space. Sadly, I haven't built Notre Dame for the same reason. At least in my cities, everybody.... everybody wants an arc. The arc is great, but it is sad that these beautiful buildings cannot be worth more to build and to level up. I know, its a game, and its my decision to do what I want, but because of space requirements and guild desires, it becomes difficult to consider building these. Thanks for your thoughts. (No haters!). I enjoy this game very much. I wish Hagia Sophia would have the magical powers that its history suggests. I wish the Colosseum could have provided military guys as well as medals, or maybe some of the buildings getting into higher levels would add things more desirable. Maybe its too much trouble. Just a thought.

Agent327

Something like this has been suggested multiple times. This game is about making choices, also when it comes to GB's. Improve those you mention and others will ask for others to be improved and so on. You just need to accept that some GB's are just less usefull for some players and that will always be the case.

ExtraMile

Some GBs will always be better than others. Even if the devs reworked some of them to try and make them all “equally good”, there will always be GBs that are good to build and those that are not (depending on your play-style of course). Although I agree with you that some GBs suck, I don’t think that’s a bad thing. I think it’s good for the game to have different options, so that players can decide for themselves what is good or bad for their play-style. The choices of what GBs to build and level are an integral part of this game. I don’t think Inno should try to take this part of the game away, or dilute the importance of such decisions, by trying to make less popular GBs more powerful.

Falconwing

Just because they are called Great Buildings doesn't mean they will stay great. Some were good at the time and aged badly. Some stay really good for a while and then you phase them out when you don't need them anymore. Some stay important til the end of time. Some were never that great to begin with. The Colosseum was garbage when I started and that was a few years after the game came out. If someone were to tell me it used to be very useful, I wouldn't believe them.

While they might change something about a GB when they realize they made a terrible mistake, *cough* Oracle of Delphi *cough*, they aren't going to change a GB that's been in play for years.

Falconwing

As an addendum, my Hagia rocks. I had doubts every now and then, almost burned it down several times, but I always found something that I could delete that wasn't as quite as good. Now I'm in the early speed levels on it and should be in the 70's in a month or so giving me at least 42 fps/day for a 42 space building. Not too shabby.

Emberguard

The GBs are designed for the era they're meant for. Potentially there are some that could use a revamp because they're not useful for the era they're introduced in, but it'd be pointless to compare them with GBs from higher era's. Those GBs aren't meant to be competing with GBs in other era's and if you raised them to do so you'd make it pointless to build advanced GBs

Hagia Sophia is actually a very decent GB though its usefulness long term does depend on space taken up by events and whether you'll be able to hyper level it once you run out of space. It's still worth building and getting the benefit from it though. If you're not getting all your happiness requirements from event buildings already then Hagia along with Alcatraz will allow you to remove all your happiness buildings in their respective ages. It's also necessary to build it to keep up with events if you're not using advanced GBs and you're not staying for an extended period of time in a single age.

planetofthehumans2

The GBs are designed for the era they're meant for. Potentially there are some that could use a revamp because they're not useful for the era they're introduced in, but it'd be pointless to compare them with GBs from higher era's. Those GBs aren't meant to be competing with GBs in other era's and if you raised them to do so you'd make it pointless to build advanced GBs
I'd put a Zeus over a Gaia statue, Seed Vault, and both SAM GB's. Zeus vs TA is a tough one because zeus is so easy to level, but TA also gives defending army and defense bonus. I guess it's like comparing MS paint to Photoshop, you can get it done in paint but there's a steep curve for photoshop.

Farfle the smelly

I view those lower level buildings as training wheels for newer players, to learn patience and the intricacies of what type of player you’ll choose to be. If they’re were super maxed lower age players might not understand the importance of space and time.

For instance I just put out a LoA because I had it, but it’ll be toast as soon as I get any other good producing building up. The GBs function much like housing, I think in that over time they’re replaced with more efficient solutions. Or they’re just BP fodder for aiding, I dunno.

Agent327

I view those lower level buildings as training wheels for newer players, to learn patience and the intricacies of what type of player you’ll choose to be. If they’re were super maxed lower age players might not understand the importance of space and time.

For instance I just put out a LoA because I had it, but it’ll be toast as soon as I get any other good producing building up. The GBs function much like housing, I think in that over time they’re replaced with more efficient solutions. Or they’re just BP fodder for aiding, I dunno.

Everything in the game is balanced. When the game started those GB's were worth their value. The game developed however and because of that some buildings lost their value and sort of got out of sync. That happens to all buildings. Even the so highly praised SoK has become a lot less valuable.

On a side note, I would never toast that LoA. With that footprint it will remain very valuable.

DevaCat

It's not that Notre Dame and the Colosseum are completely horrible GBs, it's that they both are useful for just a very brief time and are outgrown so quickly that it's much more efficient to use the space and resources they would have taken and build something else rather than building, leveling and then razing them.

HS and LoA both can age well in comparison. I agree with Agent about the LoA footprint, and consider: what's a daily source of unplunderable goods worth to you?

Farfle the smelly

It's not that Notre Dame and the Colosseum are completely horrible GBs, it's that they both are useful for just a very brief time and are outgrown so quickly that it's much more efficient to use the space and resources they would have taken and build something else rather than building, leveling and then razing them.

HS and LoA both can age well in comparison. I agree with Agent about the LoA footprint, and consider: what's a daily source of unplunderable goods worth to you?
I didn’t realize it wasn’t plunderable! That changes things...

Mustapha00

There have been quite a few suggestions made by players to improve certain GBs, but Inno has not acted on any of the suggestions (at least not to the best of my knowledge).

The good news, if you want to call it that, is players can come here and ask these types of questions, seeking advice from players who might have made a mistake or six in the past and who are willing to offer advice aimed at preventing the newer players from making those mistakes. The beauty of Community.

On the issue of the Hagia Sophia.....in my first three Worlds, I planted it and have not regretted it. On my last two, I did not plant it and do not regret that either. There are presently plenty of other ways to generate the same number of FP daily from a Hagia (and, judging by Event buildings, forever going to be more), at least until your Hagia is producing high teens/low twenties FPs per day.

Agent327

There was a time when the way to go was built an Inno for population and compensate for happiness by building a Hagia and an Alca. That was win-win. With more special buildings that is no longer really needed, but those that followed that unwritten rule, now get 96 fp's from those buildings.

Something like this has been suggested multiple times. This game is about making choices, also when it comes to GB's. Improve those you mention and others will ask for others to be improved and so on. You just need to accept that some GB's are just less usefull for some players and that will always be the case.
You have a good point, but when it comes to Colosseum, Notre Dame, Sophia Hagia, they are relatively worthless, at least by popular opinion, it is no longer a choice when buildings are considered worthless altogether, because newer other buildings take precedence. So yes, it is a choice that is easy to make, but why not make these buildings more useful for their age? Why couldn't Colosseum produce champions along with fps on leveling? Why only medals? Why not make them more useful was my thought. Of course the choice is obvious at this point.