• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Great Ideas for Great Buildings

Super Catanian

There's also a need to have a GB to boost the productions of the cultural settlement coins and Notre Dame fits perfectly for that role.
If you're worried about running out of Coins in the Cultural Settlements, you're doing something seriously wrong. Therefore there is no need to boost that.

Triopoly Champion

If you're worried about running out of Coins in the Cultural Settlements, you're doing something seriously wrong. Therefore there is no need to boost that.
I'm not running out of cultural coins for the time limit reasons, it's just the better option than boost coins and supplies of the main city. Nobody will need more than 2 GBs to give you additional coins and supplies for the event or recurring quests in the main city.

Therefore time to ditch the "Capitol" GB because it's way too useless and corrupted.

Super Catanian

Nobody will need more than 2 GBs to give you additional coins and supplies for the event or recurring quests.
When Quests are active telling me to gather a fixed amount of Coins or Supplies, that 300%-ish Supply boost I have helps reduce the time needed.

Super Catanian

Then, the GB that boosts the cultural coins will reduce the time required to complete the cultural settlements.
What will happen if I sell it while I'm working on one?
Plus, it throws off the balance. The fact that the time it takes to complete shrinks is countered by the fact that the ×4 multiplier for Cultural Goods increases. If the time shrinks even more while giving me more of something I don't need more of is useless.

Triopoly Champion

Just consider which GB is more useless, Capitol or the GB that offers the cultural coin boost?

As far as how the balance of the game mechanic goes, The Arc is way too strong compare to other higher era GBs, so not balanced at all, Time to reduce the strength of The Arc.

Algona

Just consider which GB is more useless, Capitol or the GB that offers the cultural coin boost?

The GB that offers Cultural Coin boost. As SC notes, it distorts what is a well designed part of the game.

Capitol is the worst of the Pop GBs but for newer cities and unsophisticated players it's not horrible.

As far as how the balance of the game mechanic goes, The Arc is way too strong compare to other higher era GBs, so not balanced at all, Time to reduce the strength of The Arc.

Yeah. You complain about a GB that effects (Good ol' Arc, warps everything it touches.) or if you prefer distorts the game.

You want to introduce a GB to one of the few aspects of the game, Cultural Settlements, that are not directly affected by GBs? Knowing that any GB will be warped by Arc?

Poor thinkery.

----------

Silly concept to say the game isn't balanced. It is, just at a far different balance point then if Arc was not so powerful.

Wishing for Arc to be rebalanced is indeed wishful dreaming. We're way too far down the road, too many players have put too much time, effort, money into developing Arc and with Arc for INNO to attempt to change Arc.

Instead, INNO has been doing some engineering at the other end, developments that are not quite so submissive to Arc's strengths. Look close at the few areas of the game that are not directly influenced by Arc and you can see both complete, err, shall we say, innovations and subtle changes over the last 18 months or so. Cultural Settlements as an example of the former, the most recent Eras of the Tech Tree as an example of the latter.

I doubt that FoE can ever come within a country mile of getting back to the pre-Arc pristine state, but I am curious to see what INNO comes up with next. I'd look towards new aspects that are not directly affected by GBs.

Triopoly Champion

The GB that offers Cultural Coin boost.

Yeah. You complain about a GB that effects (Good ol' Arc, warps everything it touches.) or if you prefer distorts the game.

You want to introduce a GB to one of the few aspects of the game, Cultural Settlements, that are not directly affected by GBs? Knowing that any GB will be warped by Arc?
I already not playing any cultural settlements because my Arc reached level 80+, I no longer need fps, medals or goods, thus I believe The Arc should be re-balanced to only around +60% boost. The Arc is the only GB that boosts 4 different categories (fps, medals, blueprints, guild treasury goods).

This game is too Arc-based, consider the strength of the other FE GB -> Rain Forest Project.

Use medals not fps to gain levels of a GB can be good too.

DeletedUser

The Arc is the only GB that boosts 4 different categories (fps, medals, blueprints, guild treasury goods).
I guess technically you're right, but the Chateau Frontenac boosts 5 different categories. Coins, Supplies, Medals, Goods and Diamonds.

Algona

I already not playing any cultural settlements because my Arc reached level 80+

That you don't do something is not an indictment of whatever it is you don't do, it's merely a choice you make in game. That you don;t see value in game aspects does not mean they are valuless, it means you have a different viewpoint.

Alabaster, Champions, now Arc. How long before you start agitating to get rid of everything post IndA?

You've spent years telling us how good you are at the game, why is it that you keep wanting changes that support your play style regardless of the impact on the game?

You need to outgrow your tuckercentric view of this game that you have had since day one. Just as Arc warps the game, your tuckercentrism warps your view of the game.

----------

If you don't like Arc, why do you keep it?

Coincidence that you don't do Cultural Settlements? Or is it that you can't do them because you don't have the help of the GBs you built up with your Arc?

Of course you don't need anything from Cultural Settlements. You've convinced yourself to stay in IndA. Lotus eaters never need more then the lotus.

BTW, Arc giving a 60% bonus would have the same long term effect as 100% bonus, it would just take longer to get there. We'd be using 1,5 and 1.6 threads...

Nor only does tuckercentrism warp your view, it apparently clouds your thinking.

Last edited:

qaccy

Welp, even a thread spitballing ideas for new GBs ended up turning into a debate about the Arc. It's affected the game so much, it's outgrown it and is now spreading into things that don't even exist!

Anyway, I don't think a GB that boosts cultural settlements in some way is necessarily a bad idea. Sure, settlements are pretty self-contained and generally unaffected by the city, but couldn't it be argued that the city itself is also balanced around not having GBs? Aren't all GBs just bonus effects intended to alleviate or help overcome some of the challenges of city design? Something like the Lighthouse has a fairly 'disruptive' effect on balance, doesn't it? How about Alcatraz? If Alcatraz didn't exist and was proposed by players as a GB, how many would strike it down as being 'overpowered'? The fact is a lot of GBs are similar to this, if you take a step back and examine them a little more closely. In that regard, I don't think settlements necessarily have to be 'off limits' regarding whether or not a GB can have an effect on them, since I don't see it as too different from any of the other GBs, especially the ones that made large impacts of their own.

Last edited:

mamboking053

I already not playing any cultural settlements because my Arc reached level 80+, I no longer need fps, medals or goods, thus I believe The Arc should be re-balanced to only around +60% boost. The Arc is the only GB that boosts 4 different categories (fps, medals, blueprints, guild treasury goods).

This game is too Arc-based, consider the strength of the other FE GB -> Rain Forest Project.

Use medals not fps to gain levels of a GB can be good too.

That's actually a pretty interesting idea- using medals to raise GB's rather than FP. It would mean that a person grows stronger based on how active they are in the game rather than simply collecting FP. FP could have been used to gain tech.

If you are going to nerf the Arc, I would say get rid of it completely. However, I wonder how this would effect Inno's business model. I wasn't around for the pre-Arc days so I don't know what changed, but the game seems to be rising in popularity and those people who complain about it are still playing so it can't be that bad, though I suspect the slog of raising the Arc as a necessary requirement to competing at a higher level sends some types running. (it was near apathy for me leveling that thing and I can't explain it. Leveling other GB's was fun, but the Arc from 0 to 80...ugh)

Triopoly Champion

That's actually a pretty interesting idea- using medals to raise GB's rather than FP. It would mean that a person grows stronger based on how active they are in the game rather than simply collecting FP. FP could have been used to gain tech.

If you are going to nerf the Arc, I would say get rid of it completely. However, I wonder how this would effect Inno's business model. I wasn't around for the pre-Arc days so I don't know what changed, but the game seems to be rising in popularity and those people who complain about it are still playing so it can't be that bad, though I suspect the slog of raising the Arc as a necessary requirement to competing at a higher level sends some types running. (it was near apathy for me leveling that thing and I can't explain it. Leveling other GB's was fun, but the Arc from 0 to 80...ugh)
Keep the existing rules and sets for the worlds already opened, so the current Inno business won't be disturbed.

I just want a new world that uses medals to level up all the GBs except The Arc(using fps) and everyone starts with a level 0 The Arc in the mud at the beginning of Iron Age. Every world should be slightly different because every planet was created in the not-so-same way.

mamboking053

Keep the existing rules and sets for the worlds already opened, so the current Inno business won't be disturbed.

I just want a new world that uses medals to level up all the GBs except The Arc(using fps) and everyone starts with a level 0 The Arc in the mud at the beginning of Iron Age.

That's an even more interesting idea. Different worlds with different mechanics. Always wanted there to be some distinction between the worlds. Maybe Inno might one day make a "hard-core" world as one of them where you face harder challenges with less stuff. Be interesting to see how it affects game play in all the theaters like GvG and GbG.

Not bad, Tuck :)

DeletedUser34743

I wouldn't mind seeing a great building that ties into achievements somehow. ( You know, the achievements you can see in your profile. ) For example,

0.01% chance for units to dodge an attack in combat for each achievement you have earned (at level 1 GB).

Counting platinum level achievements as four achievements, etc., I've got around 100 achievements. I'm sure there's players with many more.

Also, what about a a building which when collected spends FP directly into a random GB of yours? It would have to be significantly more FP than are collected into the bar, due to the lack of choice.

Super Catanian

0.01% chance for units to dodge an attack in combat for each achievement you have earned (at level 1 GB).
I dunno about this. I like the idea, but take out achievements out of it, and simply have the bonus, which of course increases with each level. If it is too powerful, it will have a penalty of reducing the attack and defense of your army.

qaccy

Also, what about a a building which when collected spends FP directly into a random GB of yours? It would have to be significantly more FP than are collected into the bar, due to the lack of choice.

Hm...this one's not too great of an idea for me. :(Even if it was donated at random, it's easy to influence. Just disconnect everything except for the desired GB(s), keep extra levels locked until you're ready to work on them, etc. That being said, it sounds like it could lead to a lot of waste if the donation is more than necessary to finish a level. That, and it'd be somewhat of a hassle for owners to collect from, having to wait for the right time in order to avoid creating great opportunities for snipers. It could be argued that this would all be part of the balancing for it, but ultimately it doesn't sound too 'fun' to me. Too much micromanaging compared to other GBs which kinda just work in the background and don't have to be thought about too much.

I do think the achievement GB is pretty neat though! Sounds like it'd be really hard to balance though, having to scale both with GB level and amount of achievements obtained.

Algona

I can't understand how you can make this comment

Welp, even a thread spitballing ideas for new GBs ended up turning into a debate about the Arc. It's affected the game so much, it's outgrown it and is now spreading into things that don't even exist!

and then follow up wanting GBs affecting Cultural Settlements.

I don't think a GB that boosts cultural settlements in some way is necessarily a bad idea. Sure, settlements are pretty self-contained and generally unaffected by the city, but couldn't it be argued that the city itself is also balanced around not having GBs? Aren't all GBs just bonus effects intended to alleviate or help overcome some of the challenges of city design? Something like the Lighthouse has a fairly 'disruptive' effect on balance, doesn't it? How about Alcatraz? If Alcatraz didn't exist and was proposed by players as a GB, how many would strike it down as being 'overpowered'? The fact is a lot of GBs are similar to this, if you take a step back and examine them a little more closely. In that regard, I don't think settlements necessarily have to be 'off limits' regarding whether or not a GB can have an effect on them, since I don't see it as too different from any of the other GBs, especially the ones that made large impacts of their own.

Your argument for adding GBs to CS boils down to saying that because current GBs heavily influence / warp / change game play in most aspects of the game that we should have GBs everywhere.

I can;t even begin to understand the desire to introduce GBs into Cultural Settlements.

As they stand the CS is isolated, it;s just you and the CS, your abilities to plan, remodel, produce versus limited time and limited area. Either you can do it or you can't, it's all on you.

Oh. Wait. Now I get it. I understand why you might want GBs sticking their nose into CS.

Nevermind.

Triopoly Champion

Both the Tactician's Tower and it's exact opposite version were on the DNSL when I first proposed them, they are coming out of the production lines now.

According the Inno Game Developers' rules, as long as I have reported the in-game unbalance mechanics to them, then I can take the advantage as much as possible before they fix those(especially when it's already on the DNSL list), that's why I use Colonial Champions(unusual high defense for the attacking army against the same age enemy units) all the time and earn more diamonds this way. Inno Developers eventually decided to change the game mechanics to prevent Colonial players from outpacing the Indy and Tomorrow players.

Colonial Champions were legal, are legal and will be legitimate.

Just think how majority of the high Arc players taking advantage of the Arc GB, and it's way too late for Inno developers to tune down the Arc powers according to @Algona's explanations from the early post.

Those DNSL stuffs benefit me way too much because I'm an Arc 80+ player now, thus the game starts to be boring. Just log in online and I'm on the top 5 of my Colonial hood all the time. If the game is indeed very balanced and I'm a weaker FoE player like what @Algona said, I should be on the bottom half of my Colonial hood, however my Arc defied his well-thought plans.