• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Guide to provinces enemy army and negotiation goods

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser3407

This is an awesome resource Valionor, thanks!
Thank You! Did you find it easy to use or was it too confusing?

My plans for how I want my city to go out are going to take me a little longer so if get more reliable info this week I will update it before I leave for good.

DeletedUser

It took a little while, until I found the last sheet that explained everything. I personally would have put that "Guide-Read First!" as the first sheet in the document. Other than that - awesome and easy to use.

DeletedUser3407

GoodsBeta 2.0- Improved formulas, corrected a few errors, and added the INDUSTRIAL AGE.

http://www.filedropper.com/goodsbeta20

I took your suggestion Arheus. Thanks for taking the time to look it over and give me rep.

Is filedropper ok? I had one person tell me they weren't able to access it, but he was the only one. If you know of a better free service please let me know.

DeletedUser

File dropper is fine, the other person may have been thrown off by their ad for premium accounts, but you don't need that to download a file.

DeletedUser4074

I had no problem with downloading it. It looks really useful. I'm even just getting to the place where the province information is incomplete, so I'll make sure to take extra notes.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I had no problem downloading it either, both then and now. Great effort adding the Industrial Age. Although by the time I get there you'll probably update it a few more times lol.

DeletedUser3407

Thanks! Yea, sorry about that Arheus. Province info -for the most part- can be copy pasted. Anything that deals with formulas can't. If I can get the rest of the province information shortly then there will only be one or two more updates.

Select the columns (research) and rows (negotiations) hold shift and use the arrow keys to select large areas to delete. That should make updating the worksheet to your current status faster.

I put a note in the 2.0 about the Industrial Age goods pictures. I am having trouble acquiring a clear pictures of them right now. Its something to work on but, what I have in place should serve as an ok place holder. If you are good at graphics I would appreciate the help.

I started working on this to simply get reacquainted with excel. There are a bunch of excel tutorials on youtube so I've been watching those. There is one thing that I have yet to figure out and that is conditional formatting. With conditional formatting I should be able to use the inventory numbers and compare them to the cost of research/negotiate/gb and have it show you whether you have enough to complete that task. Besides the province info that is the only other thing I wish to accomplish.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

What version of Excel do you have ? Let me know that and maybe how you'd like the conditional formatting to look, and I could help you with how it's done, if you want to of course.

DeletedUser3407

What version of Excel do you have ? Let me know that and maybe how you'd like the conditional formatting to look, and I could help you with how it's done, if you want to of course.

Sadly I am still working with 2003. I have access to 2007 and I have heard it is easier to use conditional formatting in 2007, but I haven't been able to try it yet.

I was trying to apply two formulas to the research portion of the spreadsheet. If inventory is >= than the cell would light up green if inventory is < than, the cell would light up red. Take for example the Militia tech in the iron age which requires wine. If I have enough wine in my inventory, which is inputted in the table worksheet, then the box would be green if not then red. Does that make sense? I believe though you can't do conditional formatting between worksheets...I might be wrong. If not then you might be able to make cells in the research worksheet (in a row across the bottom) equal the cells listed for the inventory and then base it off that. I'm not sure and am still working on it.

DeletedUser

Indeed, you can't do conditional formatting across worksheets. However there's a workaround :) If you don't mind duplicating your data a bit, that is. Insert three new columns at the beginning of the Research sheet (empty A-C now). Then make each cell in those columns point to the coresponding one in the Table sheet - for example in the B3 cell (of the Research sheet) you'd have =Table!B3 as the formula. Repeat rows 3-37. And now you can do the conditional formatting on the Research sheet by using the newly added cells. Excel won't mind that you conditionally reference cells THAT REFERENCE cells on other sheets ; just the first batch of cells needs to be on the same sheet. Hope I wasn't too unclear and you got the general idea.

DeletedUser3407

Indeed, you can't do conditional formatting across worksheets. However there's a workaround :)
See that is what I thought and tried to do, although I used an empty row under the research tree. It didn't work. The box stayed red. I'm not sure what was wrong. I can put in the inventory list in the research worksheet easy with the formula =Table!$C3 . Dragging that formula down will copy the entire inventory list. I couldn't get the formatting though. I'll attempt Excel 2007 tomorrow and see if I can do it on there.

DeletedUser

I tried it in my own Excel 2003 before my previous post and it worked as expected. I don't think Excel 2007 will make much of a difference, in the sense that it should work in both versions.
Ok, let's say I start with what you've done - in the Research sheet, in A27, put in =Table!$C3, drag it down to copy the entire inventory. Ok. So the amount of wine in my inventory would be in the first cell (in my case A27). Next I go to where the wine req. for the Militia is, B20, select the cell, Format -> Conditional Formatting. Condition 1: Cell Value is - less than or equal to - $A$27 - click Format... and choose some shade of green under Patterns. Click Add>> button below. Condition 2: Cell Value is - greater than - $A$27 - click Format... and choose some shade of red under Patterns. Click Ok.
Works as expected. Fiddled around with wine Inventory value on original page - background of A27 cell changes as expected.
Give it a try, it should work, maybe you accidentally missed a step somewhere.

DeletedUser3407

I was doing the same exact steps as you in excel 2003 and nothing. To be sure I read and followed each step you wrote and still nothing. I tried 2007 and it worked on that computer. I'm not sure what the issue is. Thanks for your help. I'm not sure when I'll have time to implement that, but If i can I'll post an updated version.

DeletedUser3407

Here are the provinces I still need:
LMA/CA- Narcien, Trouplope, Lombardeaux, Varseilles, Pisterrac
CA-Zaldon-on-Sea, Houndsmoor, Northcastle, Ashcrook, Queenshope

EXAMPLE:
Jamis (treasure):
200 Supplies, 25 Glass 15 Granite, 3 Crossbowman/5 Knight
etc..

I do have some of the information for those provinces and I'd appreciate any help on checking it for me and filling in the missing info.

Latest version of the worksheets can be found here:
Excel 2003 Version: http://www.filedropper.com/goodsbeta03
Excel 2007 Version: http://www.filedropper.com/goodsbeta07

I'd like to finish this up and possibly post it in its own thread with a Guide or Resource tag.

DeletedUser3407

Lathano, What do you mean by non-downloadable? This worksheet is more than just information and thus cannot be simply screenshot and posted. It utilizes formulas in excel to calculate the goods that you need to advance. I am open to posting it in another way however I need specifics as to how.

Are you referring to my first post in which I did utilize a screen shot of the cost of bronze age good negotiations? I don't have time anymore to make up the tables from the information I have gathered. I have however utilized that information in the worksheets I have posted.

DeletedUser2716

I am trying to view this but when i click the link it is just taking me to the File Dropper page.

DeletedUser3407

I am trying to view this but when i click the link it is just taking me to the File Dropper page.

After this weekend I'll post a new version with hopefully a better file host.

Looks like some of the units have changed so some of that info may be off. To my knowledge the negotiation cost will be correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.