• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Guild Admin - Applications versus Invite Only

Manumiter

Perhaps asked already, but I'm not finding it, does anyone comprehend why the game has an "application" method versus the "invite only" method of guild potential member entrance? I've noted that almost nowhere is it clearly explained that one must not be a member of any guild to be able to make an "application" to join another guild. After pondering, I am unable to think of any valid reasons for having both an "application" method and an "invite only" method. Maybe someone can explain the pros and cons of each of the methods?

wolfhoundtoo

Invites generally require you to be known by someone in the guild who has the ability to invite you to the guild. Applications allow you to try and get in a guild without knowing anyone. It gives you a shot at applying without having to find the member list and guess which person you should be messaging.

As for not being able to apply presumably the makers felt that it would only make sense for you to be able to apply when not in a guild. Since you can only be in one guild at a time it's not an unreasonable position.

Also you should try not to assume that whatever method you would choose is the correct one. You could spin your wheels trying to get in the heads of the developers or you can accept the features as they are and play accordingly or to put it another way perhaps you should explain your reasoning as to why there is no valid reason to have both?

RazorbackPirate

Also you should try not to assume that whatever method you would choose is the correct one. You could spin your wheels trying to get in the heads of the developers or you can accept the features as they are and play accordingly or to put it another way perhaps you should explain your reasoning as to why there is no valid reason to have both?
Better yet, what are you trying to achieve? Are you setting up a guild and want to know which setting is best?

Pericles the Lion

An irrelevant factoid to the issue being raised by the OP. Do you have anything relevant to add?
OMG! Replies are supposed to add something relevant to the discussion? All along I've been following your example....based on your typical reply it's never occurred to me that replies needed to be relevant. I'll keep this in mind going forward. Thanks for the tip!

The Lady Redneck

Guilds can chose whichever method they wish to gain members.
By Application method is kinda like a job application. And it normally has the name of the guild leader or founder you must address your application to. You look at the guild profile to see what that guild is looking for in its members. If you think you will fit in you then send in your written application stating why you want to join that guild. That way the guild leaders can judge your suitability.

By Invitation usually mean that the guild in only accepting people that existing members can vouch for and are friends with. Or, They are scouting for members they think would improve their guilds performance. If the guild leadership think someone will suit then they get in touch with that person to see if they would be interested and if so will send an invitation.

The reason that guilds chose either of those to options instead of the "Join" option is that they want members who are going to be active in the guild. With the Join option chances are you may get one or two who are active, but will more than likely end up with a guild full of members who neither help each other or themselves and make no effort at all to communicate with the guild founders.

wolfhoundtoo

Better yet, what are you trying to achieve? Are you setting up a guild and want to know which setting is best?

I don't care if he's setting up a guild or not which is why i didn't ask that question. My advice to him in fact would be NOT to set up a guild at this point. If he's worrying about the why's of the mechanics of guild admission rather than asking what's the best method of recruiting or even what should be a ton of other questions (mechanic wise) I see no point in expanding the conversation beyond what he posted. You are free to actually ask him that I suppose rather than posting it to me but your point wasn't really to him now was it?

Arya66

Guilds can chose whichever method they wish to gain members.
By Application method is kinda like a job application. And it normally has the name of the guild leader or founder you must address your application to. You look at the guild profile to see what that guild is looking for in its members. If you think you will fit in you then send in your written application stating why you want to join that guild. That way the guild leaders can judge your suitability.

Not really true. You can "apply" without sending a written application. But it would show you really want in. and is recommended.

The Lady Redneck

But it would show you really want in. and is recommended.
But surely the guild founders and leaders want to know what sort of person is applying to join their guild before they accept them,. A blank application means nothing, tells you nothing. It means someone from the guild has to then ask the applicant why they have chosen their guild and what they have to offer. Surely it is more polite to , introduce yourself when you apply and let the guild know your experience is and why you think you will fit in. Although if a guild is serious about getting suitable members they usually do have a questionnaire they can send out to people who do Apply.

Ironrooster

Application only also allows you to have a solo guild. (Or, you could leave it open to anyone to join and just kick anyone that does.)
That's true. But I think it's nicer to not have people spending their time trying to join a guild that won't accept them or abruptly kicking them out of a guild for no fault of theirs.

Johnny B. Goode

That's true. But I think it's nicer to not have people spending their time trying to join a guild that won't accept them or abruptly kicking them out of a guild for no fault of theirs.
Maybe, but I was just correcting the implied misinformation in your post that I was quoting. You can have a solo guild regardless of how you allow people to join.