• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Guild advantages of Guild Expedition vs. BattleGrounds

Victoria and Albert

I run a fairly low key and small guild (25 members) and I would like to establish a some kind of criteria for guild focus each week.
So many of us have limited time to play and I was wondering how to maximize that time and minimize cost of good and armies.

On the surface, it looks like Battlegrounds offers a substantial guild reward even if a guild ranks low at the end of the tournament. I understand the guild does not get the total amount of crowns quoted but some amount based on prestige points etc. Our problem is that a few of us stretch out over the tournament time and go through a lot of goods and armies to maintain our spot on the map.

Prior to Battlegrounds, our guild focused on Guild Expedition and accumulated some nice gold trophies., but the crowns seem so minimal compared to BG. We got a gold trophy last week which gained us 18980 crowns vs the 273,500 crowns we could receive
from Battlegrounds.

In the end, I think it depends on player for which tournament is preferred. Limited time? GE Want more battle ranking points? BG Have a high level TOR? GE Like getting a prize for every encounter? GE Like the Statue of Honor? BG Like seeing your name on the leaderboard even if you are a low ranking player? BG
It's all a personal decision, right?

I am starting to hear people justify their own personal preference with "what is good for the guild" and I am wondering if you much more seasoned players have opinions on which is actually "good for the guild".

Plain Red Justice

You think about this too much. No amount of crowns and prestige would make your guild stronger and more attractive to join. If you have so few members and limited time to play, fixing either of these fundamental issues first is sure to be a step in the right direction

For starters, getting more members would surely make up for the lack of activity in your guild, whether active or semi-active. Sure, it may mess up your GE ratios but who cares? If you can camp Platinum or low Diamond league with a lot of scarecrows that unironically do 10 advances in 1 season, I would take it because it would level the guild's GBs faster.

mike888

I play both. Other people have pointed out that one should play these in a sustainable level of participation. GBG is better for the guild. (Temple of Relics helps the individual here.) GE is better for the individual. In my opinion.

Victoria and Albert

Guild gets the total amount. Prestige points have nothing to do with it.
Holy cow! The descriptor on the treasure chest you are "eligible" to get the following rewards, with a little + sign
before the number of crowns. I thought it meant we would bet some number below that.
Does that mean that if a guild does nothing or very little, it still gets the treasure from that ranking?

RazorbackPirate

Does that mean that if a guild does nothing or very little, it still gets the treasure from that ranking?
There is a minimum number of advances that a guild needs to do to get the chest rewards. I believe it is 40 for the round. However, the chest rewards pale in comparison to what can be gained from an SoH, or the personal rewards accrued for playing.

Honestly, if you're at all concerned about the chest rewards from GBG, you're missing the point of GBG, as is your entire guild.

Nicholas002

There is a minimum number of advances that a guild needs to do to get the chest rewards. I believe it is 40 for the round.
correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the minimum number of advances is the number of advances needed to conquer a single province (different for each league), so for example, in diamond, it would be 160 advances, not sure about the other leagues...

Farfle the smelly

You think about this too much. No amount of crowns and prestige would make your guild stronger and more attractive to join. If you have so few members and limited time to play, fixing either of these fundamental issues first is sure to be a step in the right direction

For starters, getting more members would surely make up for the lack of activity in your guild, whether active or semi-active. Sure, it may mess up your GE ratios but who cares? If you can camp Platinum or low Diamond league with a lot of scarecrows that unironically do 10 advances in 1 season, I would take it because it would level the guild's GBs faster.
For me, as a new player in Iron and camping there for a while purposefully, I can tell you that I love one of my guilds far more because there’s a lot of communication/interaction. I would literally do whatever they told me, GE or BG, because I respect them as guild mates. So maybe ask your guildies what their expectations are for their guild experience? You can even do an anonymous survey to gather feedback if you find that your folks are timid to speak up. You might also have folks that are just happy with things as they are and don’t want anything to change or have things forced on them, despite your best intentions. So I’d start by asking them what they want, and then go from there.

Also, my guild isn’t huge, maybe 30 folks. So I don’t think size is really the issue, more like aligning goals.

(Edited for typos and clarity)

Victoria and Albert

Thanks everyone for all the feedback. I've got a great guild, half of whom have been with me for the whole 3 years,
so I wanted to go into an open discussion knowing some of the important details. We have all done well with GE
but seem unfocused on how to proceed in GBG so I wanted to understand what would make for the best experience.
Thanks!

DeletedUser34480

They purposely killed both GvG and GE, GBG provides something like 14x points. The only thing, if you drop in the lower part of GBG tournament, you would get negative ranking points and move down in overall guild standings.

DeletedUser31499

They purposely killed both GvG and GE, GBG provides something like 14x points. The only thing, if you drop in the lower part of GBG tournament, you would get negative ranking points and move down in overall guild standings.

I’m totally missing how GBG killed GE. The two are independent from one another. You just need to produce enough troops and or goods to do both. Inno has stated that GvG is staying but will not be improved so I can see that withering on the vine of time.

Victoria and Albert

Another question: does FOE give a guild the option of not participating in GBG?
It strikes me that in GE, a guild could not do it and nothing is gained or lost but a guild in 8th place i through miminum activity or inactivity will always lose those 125 points in GBG

BruteForceAttack

Another question: does FOE give a guild the option of not participating in GBG?
It strikes me that in GE, a guild could not do it and nothing is gained or lost but a guild in 8th place i through miminum activity or inactivity will always lose those 125 points in GBG

Yes, you can opt out of gbg. But first in your current gbg season your guild should not make any advances at all...i.e 0 fights/negotiations full season. Then in the next season your guild will automatically be opted out and your guild leaders have to opt in if they want to play in the gbg season after that*.

Regarding points, the first/current season you sit out, yes you will lose points and don't get any fragments. Then if your guild doesn't opt-in they will continuously lose LP (not sure if the loss is linear or exponential, but I think it will probably be exponentially more and more till your guild hits 0). E.G Let's say a guild has 1000 LP and 5 on the map and decides to sit out current season. They will get 5th place and lose 175 LP. So with 825 LP if the guild decides not to opt-in for next season they will lose some LP (let's say 25). Then with 800 if they decide to not to opt in again they will lose more LP (not sure how much it will be let say 50)....it will go on this way till they hit 0.

* I'm not 100% sure if the guild leaders can opt-in the very next season or they have to sit out of a season.

Edit:...not exponentially but lose more and more :)

Last edited:

Nicholas002

. Then if your guild doesn't opt-in they will continuously lose LP (not sure if the loss is linear or exponential, but I think it will probably be exponentially till your guild hits 0). E.G Let's say a guild has 1000 LP and 5 on the map and decides to sit out current season. They will get 8th place and lose 175 LP. So with 825 LP if the guild decides not to opt-in for next season they will lose some LP (let's say 25). Then with 800 if they decide to not to opt in again they will lose more LP (not sure how much it will be let say 50)....it will go on this way till they hit 0.
If it was exponential, they would lose less and less each season they sit out. (Exponential decay curve is concave up, not down)

Victoria and Albert

If you do not participate in GBG anymore, does it matter if you lose points?
My question is will we lose prestige points in our ranking if we do not do GBG.
I am just doing research, folks, trying to see the whole picture. I am not advocating for a guild not doing GBG but wondering what the consequences would be.

Victoria and Albert

Yes, you can opt out of gbg. But first in your current gbg season your guild should not make any advances at all...i.e 0 fights/negotiations full season. Then in the next season your guild will automatically be opted out and your guild leaders have to opt in if they want to play in the gbg season after that*.

Regarding points, the first/current season you sit out, yes you will lose points and don't get any fragments. Then if your guild doesn't opt-in they will continuously lose LP (not sure if the loss is linear or exponential, but I think it will probably be exponentially more and more till your guild hits 0). E.G Let's say a guild has 1000 LP and 5 on the map and decides to sit out current season. They will get 8th place and lose 175 LP. So with 825 LP if the guild decides not to opt-in for next season they will lose some LP (let's say 25). Then with 800 if they decide to not to opt in again they will lose more LP (not sure how much it will be let say 50)....it will go on this way till they hit 0.

* I'm not 100% sure if the guild leaders can opt-in the very next season or they have to sit out of a season.

Edit:...not exponentially but lose more and more :)
Thank you, that was very well explained! I appreciate you taking the time!