• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Guild Battlegrounds Arrival Feedback

• Thread starter DeletedUser4770
  • Start date

DeletedUser25874

Yes, I had fun chewing on one of those guilds in the opening season: :p

View attachment 14453

Here's how things played out on our map: Warriors started in the upper center, and quickly went for the center and grabbed as many of the provinces in rings 1 and 2 as they could, planting VP boosts all over them. We started in the lower left and went for the neighboring provinces at first, but then after the first day or so, focused on the center. Postmen started in the upper left, and grabbed much of the upper part of the map, while making plays for the center. After the first day or so, Postmen had Warriors mostly surrounded in rings 3 and 4, and made plays for the center. Warriors didn't bother to reclaim any of those provinces and spent most of the time trying to control as much of ring 1 and 2 as possible. We seized control of most of the lower left, and made plays for the center as well. Early, Warriors were earning a little over 1600 VP/hr, but after Postmen ate up their lower ranked provinces and we kept going for the center, their earning rate fell. Postmen's control of those lower ranked provinces gave them a steady income of VP, and there was a constant shift between us and them in 2nd and 3rd place as the center provinces changed hands. We managed a decent balance by holding onto lower ranked provinces while constantly grabbing the valuable center provinces. These top three guilds have around 20 players, so in terms of numbers the matchup was pretty even.

Nephilim was in the lower right, and while they never really managed to hold anything in the center, they controlled the lower right side of the map because their immediate neighbors weren't very active. UFOP was right above us in the center left, it's a level 20 guild with one guy in it that has 12M points, so I'm guessing it's a ghost. He had some low value provinces near his start and he occasionally sniped at us and Postmen, but there wasn't much he could do on his own. The other guilds were mostly small low ranked guilds that didn't really accomplish anything, but one of them (Knight I think) had something like 50 or so members.

We and Warriors got promoted to Gold, and the bottom three guild got a demotion to Bronze.

Negotiating isn't terribly difficult, but it's a bit too luck reliant when there are 6 choices. You can't directly stop a siege, but you can end one if you can capture all the provinces the besieger has bordering the province their sieging. I stopped two of Warriors' attacks on our provinces by leading a counter capture one of their provinces. So there's some definite strategy involved in taking a lower valued province for defensive reasons. We did lag a bit in GE early in the week, but yesterday we pulled ahead into first place while securing second on GBG, so it can be done. I can't speak for GvG since we really only have 3 players who dabble in it on occasion.

Another thing that kind of bugs me is that the difficulty is uniform across the whole map. It makes rings 3 and 4 less strategically valuable since the attrition and advancement costs are the same as rings 1 and 2, but the rewards are far less. On this map, the center provinces were worth around 200 each, but some of the provinces in ring 4 were less than 20. Yes, those more worthless provinces can generate a steady amount of VP income, but it's worth quite a bit less so you don't want to rely on it either. I think it might be worth increasing the difficulty and/or attrition costs in the center to better reflect the value.

A HoF can be plundered if it's not motivated. This is a case where players need to improve their social contacts. I'm not a big fan of the HoF since it does take up valuable production space. It does help the guild over the long run, but the Statue of Honor is a huge improvement since it provides both guild power and guild goods while giving the player a nice amount of FP.

Remember, the Statue of Honor produces a decent amount of guild goods when motivated, 50 at the maximum level, and the fragments for it are pretty plentiful. So the costs to the buildings might not seem so steep after a while. Then factor in Observatories, high-level Arcs and whatever players dump in from DC and event quest requirements. I think guilds with a lot of active mobile players are going to be at an advantage here since they're not spending the goods on GvG. There's also the guilds with a lot of AF+ players who do a lot of fighting on the AA map and have tens or hundreds of thousands of high age guild goods they weren't using too.

I do agree the attrition goes up too fast. One of the downsides to GvG is that it's not very accessible to newer players, you need to build up the combat GBs and Traz to be competitive at it. I think the fast attrition growth in fighting poses a similar problem; a newer players will probably be able to do only 5-10 advanced a day before hitting the wall, while the power fighters probably aren't getting slowed down until at least 40 or 50. I think having a shallow growth a bit longer, then a spike would be better here.

I don't really find the goods cost to be a big problem for me. I produce a decent amount of goods every day, but it might be a little harder for a lower player to keep up.

But there's also a long-term view to consider here, and the rewards for even a moderate success here are very good. The potential awards after a fight are really better than what GE offers, FP, units, goods, Statue fragments, and even diamonds. While most of that can be won from GE, there's a lot of coins and supplies, and it's hard for me to feel excited by that:

View attachment 14454

Getting tens of thousands of coins and supplies is a big meh for me when I'm in the hundreds of millions and the amount is little more than a rounding error. My city makes at least a million or so coins every day from normal collections and at least half that in supplies.

It's possible Inno will tweak the feature here and there too after some initial feedback.

I think it's fine the way it is and I'm in EST. First, it kind of balances out the advantage EST players have with GvG recalc timing. Second, attrition lasts 24 hours, so having everyone burn out on attrition right after midnight isn't necessarily the best approach. You might want to have a team of players that can respond to things later in the day.

We do have players available later in the day - although with work schedules it's not easy to coordinate (and we don't play GVG) but there was so much activity in our battleground at reset and only a few people available then so a few people trying to stay up until 1am every night is not sustainable. On the other hand, people are around 9, 10 or 11pm so any of those times would work better.

ODragon

I was very surprised that both of my diamond worlds where pvp/gbg isn't open still got a share of the rewards. That seems odd to me. They hinder (cost goods) and don't actually help. They shouldn't get rewarded.

DeletedUser37581

I was very surprised that both of my diamond worlds where pvp/gbg isn't open still got a share of the rewards. That seems odd to me. They hinder (cost goods) and don't actually help. They shouldn't get rewarded.
There is no cost to your guild for your non-participation in Battlegrounds.

RazorbackPirate

So I logged into the forums for the first time (Created account even) since I started playing this game just to post my feedback on Guild Battlegrounds (GBg).
Welcome to the forum. Hope you like it here. Thanks for well though out feedback. Just wanted to add another perspective to your thoughts. This is where things can sometimes get rowdy.:)
Overall it was fun at first and a great idea, but the risk is just not worth the rewards (IMHO). Having to think out things strategically was pretty cool once folks got into the swing of things, BUT it cost Diamonds to implement good strategy and that really pushed towards "Pay to Win" like model.
There will always be those players and guilds who can and will play to win. So what? That means we play for free. Let them play their money game. Just pay them no mind. Just because I'll never play in the NBA doesn't mean I can't have fun in the neighborhood pick-up game.
It's clearly made to drain the resources and give something to do for those with deep pockets of troops, goods and diamonds.
Absolutely! Especially the diamond part. The part that makes Inno money. So what? Diamonds are optional. Just don't spend them. I did spend some this round, less than I won, but more than I'll spend next round.

It's designed to have you slow down on progression. How do you excel in DC, GE, GBG, and Settlements? Ignore Tech, burn RQs, and grow GBs. Stay in your current age until you can perform at the level you want to. Build a huge inventory of goods to burn in negotiations when you age up. Even though I was well positioned for GBG, I can see room for improvement. Me and my city.
Me: I got ~120 frags so can't even buy the building at the end of this event after sinking tons of time and goods into, but limiting my burn after several attrition levels. Early on I was annoyed at myself when I spent some of my few diamonds thinking the rewards would be 100% each fight and not RNG (I got something every other time mostly).
I get the disappointment over the building, but you're more than halfway there. You'll have it after next round. Unless you quit. I also made a ton of mistakes, not to be repeated. Now we know the things not to do again, right?
For me: Gold League, Postmodern with most GB's Level 10 and I was more in the negotiation mode to play at higher attrition levels. Had to stay under 6x mostly to keep from going broke daily as the first couple of days burned most of my surplus of goods at that point I just stopped trying to keep up.
You found your burn rate. The rate you can burn each day and still progress. So now the task becomes how do you grow your city to burn more each day. Remember, burn more, win more. I can also say that PME with only level 10 GBs is a bit far on tech for such low GB development. For me: Gold league, on a platinum map, just moved to CA. Level 25-30 GBs. Newer built GBs level 10+. I started with 24k of each previous age good in inventory. I produce 750 current age goods per day, no goods buildings. I can burn a ton, but I'm still looking to produce more to burn. Troops, goods, higher level fight GBs, higher level CF, etc. Lot's of room to grow my city to excel in GBG.
Suggestions for improvement (based strictly on my level player perspective):
Rewards RNG removed and rewarded 100% of time - especially for higher attrition (Spending 100+ goods to get nothing is horrible)
I get that each successful Encounter in GE gives a reward, but I'm good with the frequency and quality of the reward in GBG. To me, they're a by product of participating, a 'thanks' for your help. I also see the higher rewards in higher leagues as great incentive for guilds and guild members to grow their cities and their guilds both in quality and quantity. That's a good thing.
Building cost should be dropped to 100 frags (I'm sure your stat's will show many didn't participate and even less that did got no building this cycle). Not saying had out participation trophies here, but if someone did hard work they should walk away with something. Coupled with the fact it would take two cycles to get a building (At my burn rate) plus 4 upgrades (We are talking 5+ months of playing to level up if moderately playing).
With what you're suggesting, you'd end up with 10 level 5 Statues of Honor in your city, which most likely means in your inventory. What's the point of more crap for the AD? What's wrong with working multiple rounds for the next upgrade, as we already do in Settlements? One level every other round, you're on the same track as settlements. Move up a league the rewards will be bigger and come faster.
Personal reward of Frags at the end seems low, and additional reward should be given to those by # of Neg/Att they have completed. This would encourage more participation during entire event. So person that did 400+ gets additional reward compared to someone who only did 20. Maybe every 100 events completed they get +20 frags?
In essence, this is exactly how it works. With 50% of the personal rewards being fragments, the more you do, the more fragments you get. For me, that means I got 184 fragments from participation, while everyone in the guild got 73 plus what they earned for their participation. I was one of 6 in our 54 person guild able to build a level 1 SoH after just this round. However, I blew through unsustainable levels of goods to do it. I expect an upgrade every other, every 3rd round from here on out. Many in my guild will need 2-3 more rounds before they'll plant theirs. Plus I got ll those other rewards on top of all those fragments. The more I do, the more I get, and everyone gets something. Those who don't do enough for management will eventually get booted. That works for me.
Negotiation Turn Bonus from Tavern - Can't be used in Feudal Japan merchant or GBg and just for GE? Why have bonus in game then?
Having the extra boost work in GBG or Settlements would make Negotiations essentially, 'Pay X amount of goods.' In other words, a gimme. Success every single time. Given the landscape, I've already adjusted my negotiations accordingly. In Settlements, GBG, and GE.
Leaders of Guild need to have ability to assign "Who" can attack a tile, but after that then everyone can attack that tile.
Debated ad nauseum., but in the end just growing pains. Guild members learning to work together in a new way on something new. Everyone will get there (or not) without the tools. In the end, everything will sort itself out just fine, no tools needed.
Balance - well that's been hashed to death already, but it will happen over time it sounds like (Help nudge it along if you can please)
The balance is all in your hands now. Kick ass, take names, punch above your weight. Cream rises to the top pretty quickly.
Again - this is just my viewpoint and I think it's fun in concept, but not likely going to participate next time.
And milk sinks. You know, the weak watery part. The part that can never be whipped to a stiff peak. By not playing, you've decided to lose. No kick ass and take names for you. So you'll drop in league, drop in prestige, until you drop out of Battlegrounds entirely. which sounds like, Thursday. Too bad. Too much work to rise to the occasion, so you'll just quit. Drop out. Okay. Your game.
I depleted most of my goods, troops and some diamonds to play and it came across as more "WORK" than being fun to play for not so great of rewards. We get better rewards doing other events in game than GBg and that is what should be looked at for a reality check on suggested rewards improvements.
Then you obviously pushed beyond your capacity to sustain. Makes sense. No one knew what to expect. Also sounds like you don't have many resources to burn. I pushed beyond my long term capacity too, but with 20K previous age goods in stock, and 5K current age, I've got a bit to burn. Just slow down on tech, work on raising your GBs especially Traz and CF. Produce more to, burn more, to win more.

I'm also going to have to back off quite a bit next round and I'm going to focus on raising my fight GBs and my CF. The plan moving forward is to improve my city to improve my GBG capabilities while working to distinguish myself as a strategic leader in GBG. Why? The rewards to both me and my guild. In that order. Plus it's a lot of fun to spank other guilds on the Battlefield. Especially ones larger than your own. I also like the strategy part, so I'm happy to lead battles once my ammunition is out.

Inno doesn't need to change GBG, you just need to improve your city, your guild, and the cities of those in your guild. Growing pains. Work together on a long term goal. "Let's get our Silver league guild into Gold league by the end of the year." Let me teach all of you how to do Spend FP loops so you can make goods and FPs while you use the guild 1.9 thread.
Happy Forging Everyone! Fun activity, but it needs some minor improvements (IMHO)
Improve your city to rise in GBG. Don't ask for GBG to be adjusted down for your city. Happy Forging to you as well. Stick around the forum. Ask questions. Lots of advice to improve your game around here. From those much more knowledgeable about the game than me.

DeletedUser40577

@Visionelle, @MikeJ916, and @athena9, good feedback.

One of the major reasons given for negotiations being 2x vs. battles being 1x, in a negotiation, you always, always, lose the goods. Even when you bail. In a battle, it's possible not to lose any units and retain units when you surrender. I also think the negotiations are well balanced among the 4, 5, and 6 choices, none demand diamonds to complete, unlike GE you have unlimited turns.

As far as the rest of your points, to me, they're all just growing pains. For the players, for the player's cities, for the guild and for the guild leaders. For the first time in a long time, players will have to reevaluate how they've built their cities in light of GBG competitions and adjust accordingly. Leaders will have to reevaluate how they've built their guilds and adjust accordingly as well.

I agree with you that resource costs, players in units and goods, buildings in guild goods is expensive and the current rate that established players and guilds are burning them is unsustainable. I think that's a good thing.

My guild got assigned to Gold league and placed on a Platinum battlefield with 4 other guilds. Within 30 minutes of opening, every sector was locked for the next 4 hours. From then on, it's been almost non stop turn over with building after building speed build and demolished over and over. Completely unsustainable on every level. Again, I think that's a good thing.

Once the toll becomes clear, instead of the entire map locking out in 30 minutes, it might take the first 2-3 days to advance into the #1 ring. Instead of virtually every sector changing hands every 4 hours, maybe after a sector unlocks, a guild will hold it for a few more hours, at least long enough for a premium building to be built without diamonds. Maybe instead of multiple Palaces being insta-built on the #1 ring then demolished right before losing it 4 hours later, Palaces won't get built on sectors with high turnover.

Both players and guilds having to judiciously use their resources to excel in GBG is a VERY good thing. That's when GBG becomes more of a game about strategy, as opposed to the brute force, full frontal, slug fest of attack excess this first round was. Then it might become an 11 day chess match instead of an 11 day checkers game. King me.;)
Or buy more diamonds and wa-la ... Reload complete. Some guilds will do that.
Our guild can sustain the play you're talking about indefinitely...and we don't purchase diamonds...

ODragon

You're joking, right? My guilds will both get over 100k GPP at the end of this first GBG. That's 3 levels or more for both of them. You cannot get anywhere near that with HoFs.

Actually, 100k is for 11 days, that is 9,091 per day. With a normal sized guild, I don't think that should be far off if everyone has a couple of HoFs.

DeletedUser37581

Are you sure? I thought goods used to buy buildings was determined by active members ages.
If you happen to be the only person of your age in your guild, then your age goods could be asked for province buildings (whereas your age goods wouldn't be asked if no one is of your age), but there is no requirement for a particular building to be built. Also, it is random as to whether goods of your age would be required anyway. In a lot of cases, your guild would be able to build without ever being asked for goods of your age.

Myrddindau

The whole point of attrition is to make this a guild versus guild competition. Without it, Battlegrounds would be dominated by the strongest players. This situation is somewhat overcome in GE because placement is based on percentage completion. Yes, larger guilds are favored, but that's not too surprising.

It almost sounds like you are looking for a feature that is completely different from Battlegrounds - no leagues, not guild versus guild but strong player versus strong player, ...

And where did I mention a guild of 1 versus a guild of 80?

I personally would rather wait a few seasons for the guilds to get matched by performance.
FoE already has a "guild versus guild" feature which is dominated by strong players. The difference with Battleground is that the sieges cannot be broken and sectors are held for only four hours. This more than offsets the map being dominated by a few strong players.

Let's deal with some solid numbers based on the initial Battleground...

We were paired against six other guilds (a total of seven including mine). My guild consists of 11 active players in which we fought every day and concentrated our limited fighting ability on certain sectors. We finished in sixth place (the last place guild did not really participate). However, based on a point per guild member, we had the second highest per player score at 5,100/member; the guild with the highest point per player total only finished in second because they only had 38 members and the first place guild had 50. Also, the guild that finished in fifth place (just above us) only generated ~1,100 points per member but had 65 members. Despite our very active participation, we were dropped to the Silver League which means that our reward will not be as good as finishing in sixth place in the Gold League. It appears Innogames simply looked at the total points scored to realign the leagues during this initial reshuffling in lieu of a more nuanced approach which accounts for activity/participation.

The bottom line is that the current structure of the Battleground is extremely biased toward larger guilds; it is just a math exercise at this point. The suggestion I have to fix this disparity is to eliminate attrition or embed the difficulty into the sectors (i.e. sectors become harder to conquer as one moves to the higher value sector) in lieu of penalizing active players by limiting their participation. Battleground needs to be adjusted to account for the disparity in the size of guilds - even you admit above that larger guilds have an advantage.

How would you propose to fix the overwhelming advantage larger guilds have in Battleground?

Volodya

How would you propose to fix the overwhelming advantage larger guilds have in Battleground?
Recruit more members to your guild, or expect to languish in silver. You needn't get huge--the 2nd place finisher in my gold league had 27 members-but 11 isn't likely to be competitive there. Why would you expect it to be?

Kranyar the Mysterious

One of my guilds that competed in gold league only got 2,852 prestige, but I read on the beta forum that the prestige range for gold league guild is 6,318 - 11,700, Did the prestige given for GBG on live change from the amount given on Beta?

DeletedUser37581

One of my guilds that competed in gold league only got 2,852 prestige, but I read on the beta forum that the prestige range for gold league guild is 6,318 - 11,700, Did the prestige given for GBG on live change from the amount given on Beta?
Beta has reverted to 1 GvG reset a day. Was your guild on the EN server? That is still using 3 GvG resets a day, but that changes soon.

DeletedUser40143

Just did the calc here also, we won the only platinum league and net 4610 prestige. Is this as intended? I had read that prestige from GBG would be on par with what a good GvG guild would be getting from GvG.

Kranyar the Mysterious

No, the numbers are from the US server.

The amount received really isn't anywhere close to on par with GvG, but I guess it really doesn't matter since what we got is on par with all the rest of the GBG guilds, so guild ranking is affected the same either way so long as a guild doesn't do GvG,. Since we don't do GvG we would likely have been ranked below those that do GvG anyways.

What this does seem to mean though is that a moderate amount of GvG may carry more weight than a lot of GBG, which I don't think is fair if I am reading this right.

DeletedUser37581

Just did the calc here also, we won the only platinum league and net 4610 prestige. Is this as intended? I had read that prestige from GBG would be on par with what a good GvG guild would be getting from GvG.
That would be on par with GvG having 3 recalcs a day. I would expect prestige numbers to be triple that. It may be that the lower prestige numbers are being used until the EN server reverts to 1 recalc a day. After the beta server reverted, it took a few days before the prestige values were corrected.

EDIT: What I mean is that all the servers may be using the lower prestige values until the EN server reverts.
EDIT: Or it may just be a bug.

DeletedUser29726

I expect it's just that the new beta numbers adjusted for 1 recalc a day haven't made it to live yet and will come in a future patch. Current ones appear to be the ones that were intended to go with 8 hour recalc.

*Arturis*

It was fun, our guild only had 55 members, we managed to win 1st and got our guild upgrade to Titanium. Burned loads of troops and goods, not sure if I want to keep that up next time around as my attack is only at 552% for the crazy attrition.

Last edited: