• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Guild Battlegrounds Arrival Feedback

• Thread starter DeletedUser4770
  • Start date

DeletedUser25171

Number of members in a guild is not relevant for Battlegrounds, other than if there are more members participating, it makes it easier to win.
You are wrong. I'm in a guild with 3 people. In the initial matchup, we were pitted against a guild with 26 people. Even with all of us doing as much as we possibly could, we stood no chance against a third of them playing casually.

DeletedUser25171

Currently, if one purchases an extra turn in negotiations, it applies only to GE. I propose that this purchase apply to both GE and the new GBG, and to any future negotiations which do NOT have the number of turns automatically managed (e.g. Daily Challenges).

DeletedUser37581

You are wrong. I'm in a guild with 3 people. In the initial matchup, we were pitted against a guild with 26 people. Even with all of us doing as much as we possibly could, we stood no chance against a third of them playing casually.
So you are saying that if they have more members participating, then they can beat you. That's what I said too. But just because a guild has more members doesn't mean all of those members are participating. The size of the guild is irrelevant. What matters is participation. If one guild has 3 members participating and another guild has 10 members participating, then the outcome is probably predictable (regardless of how many members each guild has in total).

RazorbackPirate

As it has been explained ad nauseum throughout this thread, Initial match ups were based on the initial MMR assigned to your guild. The initial MMR was based on your guilds previous performance in GE and GvG. The guild size that lead to that performance was not a consideration, because it's irrelevant. Consistent with Battlegrounds. That one time MMR allocation is now behind us, never to be repeated.

Moving forward, only your guild's actual performance in GBG will adjust your MMR, positively, or negatively. The size of the guild that lead to that performance is irrelevant. Also, just as GE has no bearing on GvG standings and GvG standing has no effect on GE placement, achievements in GE or GvG will have no effect on your rank and league in Battlegrounds.

Good news - It sounds like your guild's initial MMR was much higher than most guilds your size. In fact, it was close to the MMR of a guild with 26 people. Pretty darn good.

Bad news - The next few rounds will be tough for you as you see larger guilds pass you to higher leagues while you sink to lower ones. Size * Participation * Quality = Performance. Sounds like you've got 2 of the three. That should keep you competing with guild's larger than you, but it will relegate you to a lower league. Participation and quality will get you far, but in the end, size matters.

Algona

Currently, if one purchases an extra turn in negotiations, it applies only to GE. I propose that this purchase apply to both GE and the new GBG, and to any future negotiations which do NOT have the number of turns automatically managed (e.g. Daily Challenges).

Awful idea. GE negotiations go up to 10 Choices, GBG only 6. You really wanna do 10 Choice negotiations with a 10x+ multiplier?

Or are you just asking for a free ride on GBG negotiations?

DeletedUser

As it has been explained ad nauseum throughout this thread, Initial match ups were based on the initial MMR assigned to your guild. The initial MMR was based on your guilds previous performance in GE and GvG. The guild size that lead to that performance was not a consideration, because it's irrelevant. Consistent with Battlegrounds. That one time MMR allocation is now behind us, never to be repeated.

Moving forward, only your guild's actual performance in GBG will adjust your MMR, positively, or negatively. The size of the guild that lead to that performance is irrelevant. Also, just as GE has no bearing on GvG standings and GvG standing has no effect on GE placement, achievements in GE or GvG will have no effect on your rank and league in Battlegrounds.

Good news - It sounds like your guild's initial MMR was much higher than most guilds your size. In fact, it was close to the MMR of a guild with 26 people. Pretty darn good.

Bad news - The next few rounds will be tough for you as you see larger guilds pass you to higher leagues while you sink to lower ones. Size * Participation * Quality = Performance. Sounds like you've got 2 of the three. That should keep you competing with guild's larger than you, but it will relegate you to a lower league. Participation and quality will get you far, but in the end, size matters.
Although I am not privy to the actual numbers, it is taken into account the number of active members a guild has participating.

DeletedUser25171

So you are saying that if they have more members participating, then they can beat you. That's what I said too. But just because a guild has more members doesn't mean all of those members are participating. The size of the guild is irrelevant. What matters is participation. If one guild has 3 members participating and another guild has 10 members participating, then the outcome is probably predictable (regardless of how many members each guild has in total).
Oh, bull. I said no such thing. I said "even with" the three of us doing our best we would have stood no chance against them half-stepping. I didn't say we all WERE. Fact is, one of our guys left the game months ago, and he's only kept around because we need three minimum for GE. The other guy who's still there is a very casual player because he's in school. I don't think he's gone beyond GE level 1 in months. And there's no way you are going to convince me that I alone am the equivalent of 26 players. The fact is, because the difficulty scales up the same for everyone, regardless of guild size, a guild with 26 people who each do 2 encounters in GBG per day will have no trouble staying ahead of a guild with 1 player attempting to do 52 (and yeah, on another world, I'm in a solo guild, and was pitted against another guild with two digits worth of players. There is no way you are going to convince me that the size of your guild doesn't matter at all. That's preposterous.

DeletedUser25171

Awful idea. GE negotiations go up to 10 Choices, GBG only 6. You really wanna do 10 Choice negotiations with a 10x+ multiplier?

Or are you just asking for a free ride on GBG negotiations?
What are you talking about? You can only purchase ONE extra choice in the Tavern, for a maximum total of four. Right now, if you purcxhase it, you only will get the four chances in GE. I just think they should apply to GBG negotiations, as well.

Graviton

What are you talking about? You can only purchase ONE extra choice in the Tavern, for a maximum total of four.

The point he's making is that GE negotiations can involve up to 10 different goods options, whereas GBG only goes up to six; and if Inno allows us to buy extra turns for GBG they'll likely change it to use up to 10 goods per negotiation as well. So, a bad thing. Unless you want even more people complaining about "having to" spend diamonds.

DeletedUser25171

Participation and quality will get you far, but in the end, size matters.
"In the end, size matters." Yeah. Kind of my point, since I was disagreeing with the guy who said "number of members in a guild is not relevant." Like heck it ain't."

DeletedUser25171

The point he's making is that GE negotiations can involve up to 10 different goods options, whereas GBG only goes up to six; and if Inno allows us to buy extra turns for GBG they'll likely change it to use up to 10 goods per negotiation as well. So, a bad thing. Unless you want even more people complaining about "having to" spend diamonds.
Then the point he's making has absolutely nothing to do with what I said. "Currently, if one purchases an extra turn in negotiations, it applies only to GE. I propose that this purchase apply to both GE and the new GBG, and to any future negotiations which do NOT have the number of turns automatically managed (e.g. Daily Challenges)." How does that have anything to do with the number of items you have to choose from in a given negotiation??? I'm CLEARLY talking about applying the extra turn you purchased in the Friends Tavern to both GE AND GBG. In other words, getting the 4th guess in GBG as well.

DeletedUser37581

Oh, bull. I said no such thing. I said "even with" the three of us doing our best we would have stood no chance against them half-stepping. I didn't say we all WERE. Fact is, one of our guys left the game months ago, and he's only kept around because we need three minimum for GE. The other guy who's still there is a very casual player because he's in school. I don't think he's gone beyond GE level 1 in months. And there's no way you are going to convince me that I alone am the equivalent of 26 players. The fact is, because the difficulty scales up the same for everyone, regardless of guild size, a guild with 26 people who each do 2 encounters in GBG per day will have no trouble staying ahead of a guild with 1 player attempting to do 52 (and yeah, on another world, I'm in a solo guild, and was pitted against another guild with two digits worth of players. There is no way you are going to convince me that the size of your guild doesn't matter at all. That's preposterous.
Then perhaps you could explain why a guild of 5 is kicking the snot out of a guild of 74.

DeletedUser25171

Then perhaps you could explain why a guild of 5 is kicking the snot out of a guild of 74.
HOW MANY guilds of 5 are kicking the snot out of guilds of 74? What's the percentage of that? Because if it doesn't matter AT ALL . . .
Yeah, a hundred pound guy with a pipe wrench can take out a 250-pound guy with a glass jaw. But when you hear that a 100-pound guy is going to fight a 250-pound guy, generally, do you have much doubt as to who has the advantage?

RazorbackPirate

Then the point he's making has absolutely nothing to do with what I said. "Currently, if one purchases an extra turn in negotiations, it applies only to GE. I propose that this purchase apply to both GE and the new GBG, and to any future negotiations which do NOT have the number of turns automatically managed (e.g. Daily Challenges)." How does that have anything to do with the number of items you have to choose from in a given negotiation??? I'm CLEARLY talking about applying the extra turn you purchased in the Friends Tavern to both GE AND GBG. In other words, getting the 4th guess in GBG as well.
It matters because the more initial choices you have, the harder it is to solve the negotiation. In GE, with up to 10 goods choices in a negotiation, without the option for a 4th turn Tavern boost, you'd never be able to solve them. However in GBG, the initial choice of goods are 4, 5, or 6. All solvable without the boost.

The point being made is that the reason the Extra Turn boost works in GE and nowhere else, is that nowhere else are we presented with more than 6 initial goods choices without a 4th turn. In the Daily Challenge negotiations, when the initial choice of goods is below 6, we're only given 3 turns. The 4th turn is only given once the choices go beyond that.

Your ask was well understood, but the question back to you is, are you willing to have up to 10 initial goods choices? That's why we have the Tavern boost that works in GE, that's why we get a 4th turn in DC. The reason we don't get a 4th turn in GBG or in Settlements is we never get more than 6 initial goods choices. You want the two to not be linked, but they are. Asking for the Extra Turn boost to work in GBG then makes negotiations in GBG too easy to complete with only 6 choices. To balance that, Inno will add more choices. Do you want that?

BTW - The number of choices in both GBG and Settlements are automatically managed. We automatically get 3 turns.

DeletedUser37581

HOW MANY guilds of 5 are kicking the snot out of guilds of 74? What's the percentage of that? Because if it doesn't matter AT ALL . . .
Yeah, a hundred pound guy with a pipe wrench can take out a 250-pound guy with a glass jaw. But when you hear that a 100-pound guy is going to fight a 250-pound guy, generally, do you have much doubt as to who has the advantage?
If you were in a guild of 50, but were the only person participating in GBG, would you be able to beat that guild of 20?

Halgar

Number of members in a guild is not relevant for Battlegrounds, other than if there are more members participating, it makes it easier to win.

Salary is not relevant when choosing a new job, other than the fact that a higher salary may make it easier to pay your bills.

The second half of your sentence illustrates why the first half of your sentence is problematic.

Clearly the more members that you have participating, the better your chances of success are. But when a guild has 100% participation and still can't even hope to compete with a guild that has 50% participation, then the match ups are not equitable. The guy with a guild of 3 should not be matched up with guilds that have double digit memberships. My guild has 33 members, and we are matched up this week with guilds of 80, 73, and 56.

If 43% of the 80 guild did their best, and 100% of my guild did their best, then we'd still lose. That's obviously not a fair fight. It makes plenty of sense to match up similar sized guilds with each other.

DeletedUser37581

Salary is not relevant when choosing a new job, other than the fact that a higher salary may make it easier to pay your bills.

The second half of your sentence illustrates why the first half of your sentence is problematic.

Clearly the more members that you have participating, the better your chances of success are. But when a guild has 100% participation and still can't even hope to compete with a guild that has 50% participation, then the match ups are not equitable. The guy with a guild of 3 should not be matched up with guilds that have double digit memberships. My guild has 33 members, and we are matched up this week with guilds of 80, 73, and 56.

If 43% of the 80 guild did their best, and 100% of my guild did their best, then we'd still lose. That's obviously not a fair fight. It makes plenty of sense to match up similar sized guilds with each other.
But I wasn't talking about percent participation. I was talking about the number of members who participate.

The percent participation would be the participation rate or rate of participation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Halgar

But I wasn't talking about percent participation. I was talking about the number of members who participate.

The percent participation would be the participation rate or rate of participation.

Then allow me to rephrase and omit percentage. If 34 members of an 80 member guild try their hardest, then they will beat a guild that has 33 members total, no matter what that guild does. The fact that more than half of the guild could take a vacation and still win means that it's not a balanced game.

We won the first week, so now we're in a higher league with other winners. That makes sense. However, you wouldn't take a winning high school team, college team, and professional team and put them all in the same league just because they are all winners. The high school teams need to play against other high school winners, and so forth.

I agree that guild size is not the ONLY thing that matters. But a winning team of 80 is going to beat a winning team of 30 every time. And matching teams up like this means that a smaller guilds only hope is that the other team doesn't play.

DeletedUser37581

Then allow me to rephrase and omit percentage. If 34 members of an 80 member guild try their hardest, then they will beat a guild that has 33 members total, no matter what that guild does. The fact that more than half of the guild could take a vacation and still win means that it's not a balanced game.

We won the first week, so now we're in a higher league with other winners. That makes sense. However, you wouldn't take a winning high school team, college team, and professional team and put them all in the same league just because they are all winners. The high school teams need to play against other high school winners, and so forth.

I agree that guild size is not the ONLY thing that matters. But a winning team of 80 is going to beat a winning team of 30 every time. And matching teams up like this means that a smaller guilds only hope is that the other team doesn't play.
Yes, there is no doubt that 80 participating members will likely defeat 30 participating members. However, such matchups are not going to be the norm. That strong 80 member guild will win and move up the ladder. And that strong 30 member guild might come in 2nd or 3rd and also move up the ladder, just not as far. Unless something happens with number of participating members in the 80 member guild, it is most likely that those two guilds will never see each other again.