• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Guild Battlegrounds Improvements - League Points Feedback

DeletedUser28314

League points are coming to Guild battlegrounds on May 25th. Read all about it here and leave your feedback below!

planetofthehumans2

Can there be a limit on how many guilds can be in the same match at a time? Two turns now there have been 8 guilds in my GBG match and pretty much one of them dominates the rest and becomes a cluster of nonsense. Hard to look at visually.

I appreciate the LP column on the ranking window, though it does make the box seem cluttered....

RazorbackPirate

Thanks for showing us League Points. I appreciate it.

@planetofthehumans2, there is a limit to how many guilds can be in a match at the same time, that limit is 8. You may occasionally be in a match of 5-7 as well, but the normal number for most rounds will be 8.

DeletedUser39339

I like seeing the League Points posted. I don't have to calculate them myself anymore to see how we stand against other guilds in our League. What I don't understand is how guilds are assigned to groups when they have the same LP. For example, 24 guilds in Diamond League. 12 of them have LP of 1000. Obviously, 8 will be in group 1 and 4 will be in group 2. If my guild is one of the guilds with 1000 LP, will we be in group 1 or group 2? Are they randomly placed?

Aether7

I think the number of league points gained or lost needs to be reduced from 50 to 30 in order to provide better match ups with other guilds. The last 2 seasons my guild has been mismatched. We were in platinum league against a guild that dropped out of diamond and they sent us home. Now we fall to gold below several other guilds in the rankings and are controlling the map. So next season we will jump back up where we were when really where we should be matched is somewhere in the middle.

Here are the current LPs gained or lost:

Place8 Guilds7 Guilds6 Guilds5 Guilds
1st175150125100
2nd1251007550
3rd7550250
4th250-25-50
5th-25-50-75-100
6th-75-100-125-
7th-125-150--
8th-175---

Proposed LPs gained or lost:

Place8 Guilds7 Guilds6 Guilds5 Guilds
1st105907560
2nd75604530
3rd4530150
4th150-15-30
5th-15-30-45-60
6th-45-60-75-
7th-75-90--
8th-105---

In an 8 guild match up in diamond, this would still allow for the guild placing last to drop to platinum league.

Vger

I think the number of league points gained or lost needs to be reduced from 50 to 30 in order to provide better match ups with other guilds.
I think I agree with this idea. Not sure if 30 is the optimal number, maybe it's 40 or 35 or 25. But I've thought the same for a while now.

GBG sort of reminds me of the Peter Principal. Guilds eventually rise to the level of their own incompetence (except for the very top tier guilds).
Then they get a serious demotion because...incompetence.

I think the concept is sound, but there is too much hysteresis in the loop. I think it made sense when GBG was first introduced. The initial MMRs were wild guesses. For the bad guesses, you would want to quickly push the good GBG guilds up the ladder quickly, and the bad ones down, until everyone reached the level of their own competence, and GBG was always fair.

But now I tend to think the swings are a bit much, and tamping down the numbers a bit is probably a reasonable thing to do.

Algona

Then they get a serious demotion because...incompetence.

I suspect over the next few months some Guilds will realize they can both do the dance and control their finish to maintain position. I;d expect a fair number of Guilds that get shut out in Diamond will adopt this tactic to stay in Platinum where they can continue to garner a lot of individual Rewards.

Vger

I suspect over the next few months some Guilds will realize they can both do the dance and control their finish to maintain position. I;d expect a fair number of Guilds that get shut out in Diamond will adopt this tactic to stay in Platinum where they can continue to garner a lot of individual Rewards.
Yeah...probably right. The profits are insane. I've been on the right side of the dance for the last 2 seasons. But to me, it's just F*ng boring. Winning all the time is more boring than losing all the time. Especially if you really shouldn't be winning all the time in the first place.
Winning, but bored is my take on GBG right now. But stay tuned, I'll prolly be back to complain about how unfair GBG is some day. HI HO.

Aether7

I think I agree with this idea. Not sure if 30 is the optimal number, maybe it's 40 or 35 or 25. But I've thought the same for a while now.

I thought 25 also but sense its not evenly divisible by 2, I went with 30. I feel that will probably be optimal and 40 could work in transition.

But now I tend to think the swings are a bit much, and tamping down the numbers a bit is probably a reasonable thing to do.

The initial setting was good at the start to move guilds more quickly to "the level of their own competence".

-Sebastian-

There's at least one guild in Uceria that's deliberately trying to maintain a 901 LP. It seems to work nicely for them. :) But overall, I agree that there's too much yo-yo-ing (how does one spell that?).

Here's a question for people who support a lower value for the LP adjustment - do you think, on a map with all top guilds with 1000 LP, that the bottom guilds or guilds should go back to platinum? I'd previously thought that this was desirable, as it gives a motivation to do well. But now I'm leaning toward thinking it's a bad idea, partly because it's unfair to the other platinum guilds that they wind up stomping in the next season. Plus, if there's a lower adjustment, there should be fewer guilds with 1000.

On the other hand, a lower adjustment means it'll take longer to boost a new guild up to platinum or diamond. But is that a problem?

Aether7

Here's a question for people who support a lower value for the LP adjustment - do you think, on a map with all top guilds with 1000 LP, that the bottom guilds or guilds should go back to platinum?

I am fine with that but they would be at the very top of the league in group 1 or 2 with 895 LP instead of 825. It would be a better match up and not as easy to go right back to 1000 LP or bounce between leagues.

On the other hand, a lower adjustment means it'll take longer to boost a new guild up to platinum or diamond. But is that a problem?

I don't see a problem with that at all! I have heard of players that start new guilds, boost them up really quick and then sell them... It would take a little more effort for them to profit.:)

DeletedUser17367

is little strange for guilds to fight over who get 3rd or 4th instead of who take 1st & 2nd

WinnerGR

This is working really well as far as my guild can see because we can use it to see who is the easiest target to pick on GbG more easily.

Tony 85 the Generous

I'm not sure if this feedback is leagues, league points, or a combination of the two. Our guild is getting really tired of alternating between Platinum and Diamond. Literally moved down this season and will move up for next season, and back down the season after. We crush platinum, get promoted to diamond and get crushed, then go back to platinum, crush it, go back to diamond and get crushed. It shows to me an issue with the league divisions, league points, or an issue with the promotion/demotion between leagues.

How many other leagues are in this boat? How can the league points, league divisions, or promotion/demotion between league be adjusted to stop this?

AwesomeAadi10

I'm not sure if this feedback is leagues, league points, or a combination of the two. Our guild is getting really tired of alternating between Platinum and Diamond. Literally moved down this season and will move up for next season, and back down the season after. We crush platinum, get promoted to diamond and get crushed, then go back to platinum, crush it, go back to diamond and get crushed. It shows to me an issue with the league divisions, league points, or an issue with the promotion/demotion between leagues.

How many other leagues are in this boat? How can the league points, league divisions, or promotion/demotion between league be adjusted to stop this?
Sounds to me that you should just get more active and experienced player so you can have more activity and progress in GbG.

Tony 85 the Generous

Sounds to me that you should just get more active and experienced player so you can have more activity and progress in GbG.
Working on it. But I cannot imagine that we are the only one of thousands of guilds experiencing this. Some seasons the diamond guilds we are pitted against are so far out of our class we cannot/don't even participate.

AwesomeAadi10

Working on it. But I cannot imagine that we are the only one of thousands of guilds experiencing this. Some seasons the diamond guilds we are pitted against are so far out of our class we cannot/don't even participate.
Yeah my guild is having the same problem but it’s just cause the guilds you compete against in diamond league mostly have been around for ages so are more experienced and more active.

Nicholas002

Adjusting league points would only move the problem to another guild, rather than solving it.

a workaround for guilds in your situation is to be strategic so as to not move up to diamond. Just place 3rd or 5th or whatever it takes to stay in platinum. That way you will probably get more overall rewards than getting slightly more one week, and nothing the next week. (More personal rewards that is, and probably slightly less guild rewards)

Tony 85 the Generous

Adjusting league points would only move the problem to another guild, rather than solving it.
I am not speaking of just changing the numbers. You are correct, that would only move not solve the problem. The points system would have to be revisited and revised. My first simple suggestion would be another league (or two) between platinum and diamond as there seems (to me) to be too big of a step. Additionally it seems too easy to be booted out of diamond (current situation as an example, one bad week and you are out).