• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Guild Expedition - Feedback

DeletedUser7289

Ah, lemur, you do love to argue, don't you?
Guild Expeditions are not a "special event", but rather a new ongoing part of the game. They will run on a weekly schedule.
The continental map has a province that rewards goods, and one that rewards diamonds, on every age ME and above. Those are not quests.
There is no "quest button" for GE. Rather, it is a menu button like the Continental Map, Trades, Messages, etc.
And, simply, INNO made it a part of the game that they don't consider a 'quest', so it is not a quest. Call it 'semantics' if you wish, but they get to label what is and what is not a 'quest'.
Feel free to post a dozen messages arguing with me, but it is what it is.

DeletedUser23444

Okay, I bashed the Inno Game developers pretty hard when they first implemented the new message system. So I must take equal effort in applauding the new Guild Expeditions. They finally have added something that is very well thought out.

I've read through this feedback thread and want to make some comments.

1. I am THE heavy quester among all heavy questers in FoE on any world. What that means is that I have parked in: the Bronze Age, HMA, and Colonial Age for months at-a-time worked recurring quests like a mad man and unlocked obscene levels to all my GBs and make extensive use of the Chateau Frontenac bonus doing it. So I am the greediest ****** <self-censored> player out there. With all of that being said Guild Expeditions are not a quest. Quests are given by a quest giver, and have an icon along the left side of the game screen. Guild Expeditions are more akin to a guild-wide equivalent of Continental Map; and as such, a CF bonus should not apply.

2. I agree it would have been better for players if Inno Games had rolled out the non-combat means by which players may solve each encounter at the same time as the combat option. But seriously people, come on! The Inno Games devs knew that they would still need to tweak the balance of Expeditions, and the encounter difficulty levels, from only a combat perspective, based on player feedback. They also need to address any issues that arise, and they need to see how the massive player base takes advantage of everything. And the devs clearly haven't forgotten or ignored our farmville friends. That feature is clearly planned and coming soon. And I'm okay with the devs eating the elephant one-bite-at-a-time and getting each function correct, before they implement the whole new package of features. And just to clarify for everyone, negotiation (or whatever other non-combat puzzle the devs implement) is a different function than fighting on a battle map is (as opposed to Guild Expeditions as a whole being one function—it isn't). So not having the non-combat option today is really: "no harm = no foul", and: "stay tuned for further developments".

3. My one criticism of the whole Guild Expedition roll out is the confusion on how and when Guild Power is scored and during which Daily Calculation(s) it gets applied. When a player opens up GE and hovers his mouse over the Crown to the right of the green progress bar, he sees two numbers:

A. Next check point: +2,249 power
B. Reached: X,XXX power (depends on your guild's current progress)

This is not at all clear to players how many of the X,XXX power has already been applied to the guild's current level progress, or when any of that guild power will be applied. There is no mention in the Help when a player clicks the "?" icon either. And the official announcement does not include an example that clarifies things. Inno Games must do better in this regard to dispel the justifiable confusion that a massive base of players will have.

IMO to keep things simple, it should work exactly like PvP towers do—no guild should score any additional guild power until after the current week's Guild Expeditions conclude, the same way no player scores any medals until after the current week's PvP tower contests conclude. This would have been simplest way to implement when guild power was applied. And it would be much more intuitive to explain, since players already had an example in PvP towers.

As GE stands right now, no one knows exactly when guild power is applied to their guild, and therefore no one can check the math to ensure it is being applied correctly to report any bugs.

4. I also notice that the Inno Game devs added a small place to spend some medals within the context of Guild Expeditions—a player may pay an exponentially escalating medals cost to buy more encounter attempts. This isn't bad, but I think the devs really missed an opportunity here. GE provides a means by which players can score many valuable prizes, which can include:

• Premium buildings
• Special buildings
• Diamonds
• unattached units (and boy can you score a lot of these in GE)

It can cost a guild 1,000s of valuable goods to unlock each difficulty level. The larger your guild, and the more advanced your guild members, the more exorbitant the cost of goods is.

So why not implement a means by which guilds can unlock difficulty levels using medals donated the guild's Treasury, in place of missing goods, or in place of goods a guild would rather use for GvG? For correct game balance scaling, the devs could simply use the same goods↔medals ratio that they use in random quest rewards. For those who are not aware, random quest rewards scale by age. The base amount (before any CF bonus) is always 5 of one random good from that age (the scaling part here is the age of the goods, which change to those of each age you advance to). However, the amount of medals paid out by quests outright scales by age. For example, an HMA quest pays 30 medals per quest reward, while a Colonial Age quest pays 70 medals per quest reward. Therefore in GE, let a guild pay medals in these same ratios from their treasury, in place of missing goods to unlock GE difficulty levels. this would give players a perfect place to make use of excess medals after they have purchased all possible victory expansions. And it would maintain a perfect game balance of how many medals to charge for each member of a guild.

And before anyone brings up the new GvG map, which still in beta, as a place to spend medals. No, just no. That new map is nothing more than a second FE map (possibly TE) , since the NPCs defending it by-default only use FE units. The idea that "you can use any units you want" is complete hogwash, since you are not going to capture sectors from the NPCs using anything below TE units. And no guild in their right mind is going to defend with anything less than FE units. So that new map is nothing more than "FE-lite".

By contrast, Guild Expeditions has been perfectly game balanced to include players of all time periods (except Bronze Age which makes sense to me), and will soon be balanced to include combat-minded players as well as non-combat players (unlike the new Beta GvG map). All that is missing from GE is a balanced way to spend more medals in it. Being able to spend medals on more encounter attempts is nice, but this is not really required, or valuable. Being able to spend medals in place of guild goods is both required (from a player's perspective) and very valuable.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser12391

And before anyone brings up the new GvG map, which still in beta, as a place to spend medals. No, just no. That new map is nothing more than a second FE map (possibly TE) , since the NPCs defending it by-default only use FE units. The idea that "you can use any units you want" is complete hogwash, since you are not going to capture sectors from the NPCs using anything below TE units. And no guild in their right mind is going to defend with anything less than FE units. So that new map is nothing more than "FE-lite".

More than anything, I just see that being the next era map, that will continue to update as more eras are release. So next the artic-future, so it essentially becomes GvG for that era, then the era after, etc. Mostly since that map is out of room, it could keep it less complicated I guess. But at the same time, a guild can take a cluster of sectors and wipe a defended one, put in some older troops and let lower age players fight without having to move in on older maps.

I can see its uses I guess.

lemur

Interesting comments ... Thanks for posting at length.

I have ... worked recurring quests like a mad man and unlocked obscene levels to all my GBs and make extensive use of the Chateau Frontenac bonus doing it. So I am the greediest ****** <self-censored> player out there.

Wow ... using a Château boost makes a player greedy? Who knew? :eek:

Quests are given by a quest giver ...

Always? That's a prerequisite for what makes a quest? Who was the quest giver during the Leap Year Event? I see no mention of one on the announcement for the event. Was there a quest giver for the Martin Luther King event? What about the Columbus event?

As GE stands right now, no one knows exactly when guild power is applied to their guild, and therefore no one can check the math to ensure it is being applied correctly to report any bugs.

That's an important point.

DeletedUser25427

One thing that people have not mentioned here is the impact on the PvP tournaments. It is now possible to get thousands of points with minimal effort. There are now many more battles to fight with Stages 1 and 2 very easy to win. This will seriously affect the rankings if some players do not participate in these expeditions and lose out on medals. In fact not only are the battles too easy but the rewards are too generous so it is no longer worth the effort fighting neighbours. This will change the whole nature of the game.

DeletedUser13838

One thing that people have not mentioned here is the impact on the PvP tournaments. It is now possible to get thousands of points with minimal effort. There are now many more battles to fight with Stages 1 and 2 very easy to win. This will seriously affect the rankings if some players do not participate in these expeditions and lose out on medals. In fact not only are the battles too easy but the rewards are too generous so it is no longer worth the effort fighting neighbours. This will change the whole nature of the game.
I'm assuming you're only going to fight with your current era troops in GE so any effect is limited to that one tower. The major impact on pvp is from gvg since you can get points from any age.

I can only speak for myself in that anyone competing with me for top spots in the tower is also going to fight in GE and unlike me also fights in gvg in lower ages. If someone wants to fight in GE and can't then they have the option of joining a different guild.

DeletedUser23444

Wow ... using a Château boost makes a player greedy? Who knew? :eek:

No my play style makes me greedy, and using a CF bonus helps feed my greed.

Always? That's a prerequisite for what makes a quest? Who was the quest giver during the Leap Year Event? I see no mention of one on the announcement for the event. Was there a quest giver for the Martin Luther King event? What about the Columbus event?

The quest giver for MLK event was none other than the good DR. Martin Luther King Jr. himself. His icon was featured twice along the left edge of the game screen (at least in the browser version, I cannot speak for the ipad or mobile apps). A similar quest giver is used for each and every special event. And for many special events we get not one but 2 quest givers—one for each daily quest, and another (sometimes another copy of the same portrait) that covers completing the entire special event quest line to score whatever the overall event prize was. I'm sorry you don't know, or more likely don't remember, what each special event's quest giver was. But trust me, they were always right there along the left edge of your game screen (at least in the browser version, I cannot speak for the ipad or mobile apps).

DeletedUser7289

Every on of the "events" you list had a quest giver, and they all were "events". Guild Expeditions is not an "event", but rather a new part of the game. You've refuted your own complaint.

DeletedUser23548

I think perhaps the battles start too easy and finish too hard.
If we could replace lost and damaged units between waves for the cost of an additional attempt voucher, it would make the late battles beatable.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser10415

I think perhaps the battles start too easy and finish too hard.
If we could replace lost and damaged units between waves for the cost of an additional attempt voucher, it would make the late battles beatable.

I think perhaps you have a mistaken perception of what Inno had in mind when they developed Expeditions. They're in the business of selling diamonds. Ergo...

DeletedUser13360

Terrific job INNO! Guild Expeditions is fun and the rewards are great. I believe this is one of the BEST additions to the game I have seen. Very enjoyable to play. I have won diamonds, tons of troops, tons of goods, forge point packages, a premium culture building, among other things. This is GREAT, and players of all eras can benefit personally with some nice rewards, while helping the guild attain the goals.
Perhaps, the one concern, as others echoed here, is the cost in goods for large, more advanced guilds. GVG is a goods HOG, and we don't need another. Maybe an adjustment to the method goods cost is calculated to unlock the 2/3 levels, but otherwise GREAT Job. Our folks LOVE it.

DeletedUser13838

This assumption is incorrect. You can use any age troops in any combination on the GE map.

I realize you can use lower era troops, but my presumption is that people would use current era troops. I suppose there could be exceptions in certain situations.

cbalto1927

I did the level 3, and oh boy it very hard than i thought it was. I usually would use one age higher troops to beat those 2 wave attacks. Make sure your Attack GB's are to the max at 10 to make it beatable. On third level the attack percentage with same age troops are at 65 percent. To provide minimum losses, it would be better to have Attack GB's at least higher than 65 percent combined. Finally INNO gives me a challenging fight, Rewards are well worth it at level 3.

Darkbox

I did the level 3, and oh boy it very hard than i thought it was. I usually would use one age higher troops to beat those 2 wave attacks. Make sure your Attack GB's are to the max at 10 to make it beatable. On third level the attack percentage with same age troops are at 65 percent. To provide minimum losses, it would be better to have Attack GB's at least higher than 65 percent combined. Finally INNO gives me a challenging fight, Rewards are well worth it at level 3.

It seems like the boost percentage varies, based on the player's age. For FE, I have seen 85, 90 and 100%...

And yeah, just leave GE as it is now. If goods are an issue, start a special thread for donation dedicated for GE and you'll be surprised. I tried and in 2 days I had more donations there than for GvG :eek::eek:.

After sending a post explaining why level 2 and 3 might not be unlocked next week, I saw people donate 3 weeks worth of goods for some era (published the requirements for each level and they did the math)

DeletedUser13838

I'm not sure the rewards are worth it at least from what I've seen. In level 2 I could have gotten a bazaar, a victory tower and a tigers den (or a premium deco/residential)- I got the tigers den but didn't really want it. In level 3 I didn't see any event buildings, just a chance at a premium residential or cultural in the last fight. Maybe it's different for everyone and will change each week?

Returning to this, something I've noticed is there is a lot more activity in the towers. In my relatively new hood, I usually compete for top spots in PME-FE. With guild expeditions it's going to be a lot harder to compete for top spots in multiple eras. I suppose it depends if the increased activity lasts or will fade away after the newness wears off. While there has always been activity from gvg, gvg doesn't give personal rewards other than battle points so I think it will stay at some level.

DeletedUser10076

After completing lvl 3 on my main world and struggling through on my second I have to say I agree cbalto. This has the perfect amount of difficulty, is fun(way better than gvg), and the rewards are more than fair. I really don't think it needs any tweaking at all. Excellent job INNO you deserve every bit praise you get for this new feature.

DeletedUser20367

After completing lvl 3 on my main world and struggling through on my second I have to say I agree cbalto. This has the perfect amount of difficulty, is fun(way better than gvg), and the rewards are more than fair. I really don't think it needs any tweaking at all. Excellent job INNO you deserve every bit praise you get for this new feature.

I agree 100%. GvG has become (at least on the older worlds) a contest of who can click the fastest. This is an actual fighting challenge. Well done Inno!

DeletedUser25683

I'm in Iron Age in both worlds and working though lv 1. Even though it's interesting I'm not seeing the big rewards you guys mention. I lose 1/2 to 2/3 of my troops ( mostly Iron Age but i have some bronze still. I'm a farmer so I don't build all the troop buildings for space. ( I have four out of 5 ). Anyway all I've seen so far is a small amt of coins, supplies, one each of my ages goods and a mounted rider. I've past the first two wave for reference.

Also a small nitpic. Random is NOT random. I get the exact same reward at every point in both worlds. I noticed it was the same during the May Day quest. I could see some marching by coincidence but.not EVERY time. I mean sometimes I should see coins for one world and supplies on the other if it were TRULY a random reward

I believe that the rewards are set ahead of time ( Amt should vary let age of course ) and the correct term should really be HIDDEN. Not random. Though reading the replies it seems some may be somewhat random if there is a chance to get one of three buildings.

I hope that's not level 3 because the way going lv 2 may be too hard. I only can do one or two encounters at a time before needing to retrain.

Still I am enjoining it and looking forward to peaceful paths as well. As long as I don't end up spending 20 goods for 120 coins that is.