• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Guild Leader Tips

Do any guild leaders have an innovative technique, tip, or trick they are willing to share? Any new programs you have introduced that helped improve your guild? Or guild members... what do you see as characteristics of a successful guild leader? Also, any tips for recruiting? New members have been few and far between for the last couple of months. Thanks for your help.

DeletedUser31440

We were having some issues with a guild I'm on the leadership of. We merged with another guild and over the next three weeks lost maybe six or seven people so I started a discussion thread to air grievances and see what was happening in the guild that people didn't like. We talked about a few different things but it mostly just came down to people not feeling like they were actively involved in guild decisions and what direction we were moving. Somehow or another out of that I got asked to be the PR rep for guild leadership to the rest of the guild, horrible friggin idea in my estimation.

So I've started a new thread and post a weekly update on what has happened over the past week. I cover any discussions we've had in the guild council thread and any decisions we've made about those things, how we did in GE for the week, if anyone has failed to meet requirements and whether council has decided to give them a pass or a boot. After that another guild leader will chime in with GvG updates for the past week and let people know which maps we might focus on for the next week to help out with getting DA's ready to fill anything we take. Along with that we just are also making a concerted effort to be more gentle with letting people know when they have done something against guild rules or are misusing any threads.

For recruitment I'm not really sure, we're at a top 10 guild so we get people that just randomly apply occasionally or a guild member will ask to let one of their friends in. We should be doing more on that front though, especially for getting new GvG fighters, but that's not something we've spent much time looking into yet.

Thanks Agent. I didn't think to post on this forum. I do approach players not in guilds. Most (at least the ones who respond to a pm) seem gun-shy about joining another guild. Seems there are many terrible guilds out there terrorizing players. o_O

UBERhelp1

Personally, I'm not a guild leader. Tried it once... but we don't talk about that.

As a member looking out, I'd recommend:
  • FP swaps (3,5,10,20,30,50,)
  • a program to get Obs or Arcs
  • good participation in GE.
Depending on the number of members in your guild, people may not join. More members usually means a higher amount of people join. You need to market your guild to make it look as good as possible. A higher level guild is usually going to be better than a lower level one.

Talking about members of your guild, you want some requirements:
  1. Active players only. Not notifying guild leaders of inactivity longer than a week or being inactive for longer than a week can result in a temporary ban (send a message to them saying such)
  2. At least complete level 1 of GE. As more goods enter the treasury, this requirement can increase to level 2. Be sure to try and open at least level 2 of GE, the more the better.
  3. Mopo at least 2-3 times a week (keeps them active)
  4. Above a certain age (EMA?) all members should have an Obs or Arc to support the treasury. If they don't, they should pay the cost of unlocking level 2 of GE for themselves.
  5. All members should donate 1 FP to all GB in the sticks. Helps new GB level faster.
  6. And finally, be respectful of other players.
You don't have to follow these exact rules, these are just suggestions, but they work well in the guild I'm in. If someone decides the rules aren't for them, you as the leader have to step up and enforce them. It can be hard, especially with people that have been in the guild for a long time, but if you keep everyone in line then it gets easier.

Now, you may think that I'm not really answering the question. You want more members. The above strategies help make your guild a more respectable establishment and will make players want to join more. It helps to have higher-level players in your guild to get better GB faster.

Basically, if you put effort in to make the guild better the guild will improve. It takes time.

UBERhelp1

Thanks Ozy. I like the idea of a "guild business" thread. I usually just make those type of comments on the main thread. They can easily get buried, however.
In the guild I'm in, we use the main thread for 'official' announcements. We have a separate thread to chat about anything. It helps keep announcements from getting buried.

As well, it helps every once in a while to send out a survey to ask what people think about what the guild/guild leaders are doing and what can be improved. It's important that everyone's on the same page.

Algona

I ran a top 30 Guild for a couple years, we're currently ranked 12 in our world, they seem to be doing fine without me as boss. I've also spent 6 months of the last year Peddling, traveling from Guild to Guild, spending a week in various Guilds. I'm a pretty good visitor to have. CE so 3 of thetop 5 GB Goods for sale, lvl 80 Arc for Treasury, 15 CE HoFs for Power. ;v; 64 GE every week, and dirt cheap prices on Goods. Hey, I am a Peddler after all.

A note on the majority of Guilds. They suck. Every Sunday I'd start looking for another Guild to spend the next week if I hadn't been invited to a Guild. I'd look at all Guilds with Auto Join and more then 20 members. Most Guilds don't have 20 members. Of those that do over 90% still suck. I got to the point i could tell in 2 minutes after joining if I wanted to be there.

Drones. No activity in their market in GE or GvG. No chatter in their Guild thread for days or weeks except an occasional trade posted with lots of Player X joined the Guild followed by Player X left the Guild.

Srep 1 to finding recruits: Be an active Guild.

For the Guilds I'd stop in for the week, I'd always introduce myself in the Guild thread, then start chatting, asking for jokes, stories of the Guild. I'd slip in that since I'm asked frequently for recommendations for Guilds (I still am) what is special about their Guild and what kind of players should I refer to their Guild?

Step 2: Identify the real strengths and goals of your Guild then use those to advertise for recruits that fit those strengths and goals.

Of course as the week went on and folk got used to me they'd be a lot more willing to chat. And inevitably some of the folk who were not quite happy in their current Guild would ask about other Guilds. I'd take the time to get to know them, then put them in touch with the leader of the Guild that I thought was the best fit.

Step 3: Understand that a Guild and a pair of shoes are remarkably similar: One size does not fit all. A good player may languish in a good Guild that isn't quite right for their play style.

Step 4: Find and work with other Guild Leaders to find the right Guilds for your players that don't seem to fit right in your Guild. They will do the same for you. Everybody wins.

Step 5: Be aggressive about advertising in the main game forum. Don't be afraid to go head hunting, turn your Guild over to your co-Founder (you have given someone in your Guild Founder status so that if you are not available they can carry on? RIGHT????) and run from Guild to Guild recruiting.

Remember all those drone Guilds glutting every world? There are thousands of potentially good players in those drone Guilds who had the misfortune of joining that Guild as their first Guild and have no idea that there are good Guilds out there. You'll be doing them and youa favor by rescuing them.

Enough for now. Any other specific topic you'd like me to talk on? Telling me stfu is also a viable option...

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses, Uber. Maybe a little background on our guild will help. We are almost a year and a half old. Level 33. We average around 35 members. We have all the basics, several swap threads, fp donations to gbs in the mud, a very successful Obs program, 90%+ completion in GE, active players, some limited success in GvG, respectful but fun atmosphere. Im very happy with the direction we are going. I guess I'm just always looking for ways to improve. Something new to keep it fresh. I don't want myself or the guild to become bored or complacent. I want us to do better. :)

UBERhelp1

Thanks for the responses, Uber. Maybe a little background on our guild will help. We are almost a year and a half old. Level 33. We average around 35 members. We have all the basics, several swap threads, fp donations to gbs in the mud, a very successful Obs program, 90%+ completion in GE, active players, some limited success in GvG, respectful but fun atmosphere. Im very happy with the direction we are going. I guess I'm just always looking for ways to improve. Something new to keep it fresh. I don't want myself or the guild to become bored or complacent. I want us to do better. :)
It might be time to start an Arc program to get everyone arcs that don't already have them. Other than that, the guild itself sounds pretty good.

Algona, keep talking. I'm listening and learning. I like to learn. I have step 1-3. Step 4 is a new concept for me, but I like it. I will do what i can ti accomplish it. Step 5 I have been dragging my feet on this one. But if it helps me to achieve our goals, I can adjust my attitude. And yes, I am 1 of 2 founders...so they can carry on without me. ;)

Bruadhin

I will say, if the guild profile says to contact people about the guild, they better be in the guild.

I just looked at one profile and it listed two people to contact, although neither about joining the guild, and I couldn't find either in the list of members.

NEXT!

It might be time to start an Arc program

We have a program to get our members Arcs and then another to help them get them to level 11.

Our guild gives a lot of help to our members. If they succeed, we succeed. We have a couple of interesting programs that contribute successfully to this ideal.

Last edited:

DeletedUser

Here's a tip to help avoid a specific problem in swap threads.

First the problem: Simultaneous posting. When two members post at the same time on a swap thread, resulting in the member before them getting a double donation and one of them not getting their GB donated to. Example: Player A has previously posted his Traz. Players B and C both donate to his Traz and then post their GBs at the same time. Player D comes along after a while and donates to player C, because that's who is listed last. Player B receives no donation.

How to avoid the problem: Very simple process, institute this procedure for the swap threads.
1. Attach your GB.
2. Close the thread. If on PC, go back to first page of message center if thread is on page 2 or beyond. If on mobile or if thread is already on first page on PC, thread will automatically go to top when closed.
3. If thread does not go to the top of first page of message center, then close and re-open the message center.
4. Re-open thread.
5. Donate to GB listed directly before yours.

Closing and re-opening thread will result in any (almost) simultaneously posted GBs being put in proper order, and enable members to see which GB they should actually be donating to.

Last edited by a moderator: