• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Guild Leader Tips

Woody*

Every GB that goes up is dominated by players who drop 30+ in

One option is to explain the issue to the FP train-dominating players and ask them to take a week off, abstain from the FP trains altogether, or just abstain from the insert number here FP thread.

Another option is to create duplicate FP threads without the thread stalkers.

Woody*

To the OP, some other quick thoughts:
  1. Recruiting is paramount in this game (and any game like it). Turnover is inevitable, always be recruiting.
  2. Most players look for easy to identify benefits like; the most FPs from the town hall, the most players to aid, 1.9 donation programs, sticks-to-bricks and FP trains. Have as many of those things as possible
  3. Value your members! This can be reward programs, or just connecting with them (something I strive to do more of, but there's never enough time)
  4. Set clear rules and expectations and enforce them.

Woody*

Also, here are some self-assessment questions for your leaders to consider:
  1. How well do we recruit?
  2. How well do we retain members?
  3. How well do we communicate with members?
  4. How well do we mentor new members?
  5. How well do we take advantage of special events?
  6. Are our requirements clear, concise, and being enforced?
  7. Admin
    1. Are permissions good
    2. Are FP and trade threads updated
    3. Is GvG guidance up to date
    4. Is our Guild Info up-to-date

Emberguard

Who can build the worst looking city?
I think I'd lose that one depending on what we're measuring as "worst"

New contest: Who can re-arrange the winners worst city in foemanager to free up the most space? Has to have all the same buildings - no adding or subtracting anything that is not a road. Roads you can delete but have all buildings either connected or functional (eg: victory towers wouldn't need a road)

DreadfulCadillac

One option is to explain the issue to the FP train-dominating players and ask them to take a week off, abstain from the FP trains altogether, or just abstain from the insert number here FP thread.

Another option is to create duplicate FP threads without the thread stalkers.
so having a seprate swap thread for players who make lots of fp a day?

DreadfulCadillac

In-guild sniping? This is not allowed in our guild. If a gb is on the swap threads, you try for a top spot that way. You can also make a side deal with the owner to secure your spot before the gb goes on the threads. But once there, we don't take advantage of each other.
come -on..we have to agree to dissagree..because i dissagree.

Woody*

I mean a swap thread for the folks that don't make a ton of FPs per day...it would exclude the huge FP producers and high level Arc owners who "hawk" the threads and dominate all the rewards

come -on..we have to agree to dissagree..because i dissagree

Of course...lets agree. :)

We still don't allow that in our guild. That's part of the beauty of so many options, choices, different styles of play. In a guild we get to determine our own rules and play with like-minded people. It's part of what makes joining the right guild so important.

Emberguard

That's actually something one of the guilds I'm in has - or rather the other way around. Originally it was players under 2 mil get their own 10 FP swap thread, then it was changed to 3 mil because we've grown so much since then.

Reason we needed it is the guild is a top guild. We all either had Arcs, or were in the process of getting them. Those who already had a lvl 80 were able to do swap after swap all day long, but those with lower lvl'd arcs (or no arc just yet) couldn't possibly compete. It'd have been no different from self lvl'ing

Woody*

Of course...lets agree. :) play with like-minded people.
I couldn't agree more. One thing that really sets people apart is the "fair" trade calculator. Some people insist upon it and others swear it off (with good reason). I recommend being clear in your guild info tab and recruiting about at least 3 things:
  1. what any/all the requirements are
  2. what kind of trade rules are followed
  3. whether sniping is allowed or not

Emberguard

With the swap threads one thing worth mentioning, even if we didn't have Arcs in the group the very fact we are regularly at 70 members in the guild would in itself lend to the majority not getting contribution rewards if everyone ends up swapping once onto every GB posted.

In addition to the points based Swap threads the guild has lots of private swap groups of 3-6 members. There's no rules about this, it just happens to be the most efficient and best way of growing a Arc. So once everyone wanted to get Arcs there ended up being lots of smaller swap groups that are in no regulated by the guild.

However if a player is unable to get contribution rewards, this would be a good suggestion to make to similar FP income / GB lvl'd players. To have a private swap group of just each other.

Given it'd be a small private group it doesn't have to be structured the same way official guild swaps are done. It just has to be done in a way that is fair to those involved. Anything you can think of that'd allow members to contribute to each other and not end up out of pocket of FPs would work

Some methods I've used across different worlds

Spreadsheet model:
A single GB is designated as the target GB. Everyone in the group dumps FPs into that GB. There is no set amount required, just whatever you are able and want to put in. The spreadsheet keeping track of who has contributed what only has to be updated whenever the GB has been lvl'd. The owner of the GB being lvl'd puts into the GB of whoever is next to be lvl'd. Order of who is lvl'd next is determined by whoever has made the highest contributions so far. Rewards are deducted from contribution amounts so everyone has a fair shot.

The spreadsheet would look something like this:
Name : Start : Put in : Reward : Total
A. 0 : 500 : -50 : 450
B. 0 : 450 : -40 : 410

note: even being a low lvl'd player in a spreadsheet swap of lvl 50-80 arcs, this method worked brilliantly as long as the group did not exceed 6 members. Didn't matter that I was regularly getting 5th or 4th depending on if a player took a break - it was still faster for me then using a normal swap thread and when the math was done in regards to how often everyone got a turn and what had been put in each time no one was losing out on FPs at all. However I'd only recommend putting low lvl'd players with high lvl'd ones providing there's enough high income players that can get through the bulk of the high lvl GBs. Otherwise instead of being faster, it'd take too long

Reward Rotation
Each player is assigned a contribution slot and puts in the exact amount needed to secure the spot
1st: 1/2
2nd: 1/4
3rd: 1/8
4th: 1/16
5th: 1/32
Owner: the remaining

This works best on same lvl or close lvl'd GBs so you can rotate whose GB is lvl'd in a specific order along with rotating which contribution spot to aim for. This would mean whoever has the smallest contribution amount on the current GB would have the highest amount on the next and can start working on aiming for 1st while the previous GB is being finished.

FP for FP
Each player would keep track of how much they put into a GB and report the amounts on the thread. It'd look something like this:
+10 Ember Zeus (20 behind)
+30 Amy Arc (even)
+5 Claire Chat Front (5 ahead)
0 Ozy (4 behind)

Last edited:
15 CE HoFs for Power

On a side note: I have to say this is very impressive! We are putting extra effort into encouraging all our players to try to win HoFs when possible, to make room for them in our cities, and to make the extra effort when aiding to make sure they are motivated. It is starting to pay off. The amounts of our daily crown collections are increasing.

Algona

On a side note: I have to say this is very impressive! We are putting extra effort into encouraging all our players to try to win HoFs when possible, to make room for them in our cities, and to make the extra effort when aiding to make sure they are motivated. It is starting to pay off. The amounts of our daily crown collections are increasing.

Don't do that. HoF is a high Era player building. It's nearly useless for Guild Power in low Era cities and takes up valuable space those low Era cities can use for something useful. The space can be used for Goods Buildings, Barracks or something else that can help with GE or DCs or Events.

In addition they suck down 1ups or RKs.

Also they suck down Aids or worse player time to manually motivate. Asking players to spend times on grindy tasks is not a good idea.

A side note ob that, Well designed cities should have a surfeit of Aids and never need manual motivation to assure HoFs which are priority Aid targets are always motivated.

Don't do that

All good points, Algona. Our guild just sees it a little differently. No one is expected to place a HoF to the detriment of their city. There is no requirement to get a HoF or to motivate them. No pressure to do so, either. Just encouragement, and thanks if you do. I, myself (I'm in Modern) have 6 HoFs in my city but 7 more still in inventory that I haven't been able to place. I find our members are happy to sacrifice 9 or 18 squares to helping the guild. They are glad to contribute, especially those who don't participate in GvG. Every crown helps, and certainly adds up over time. I also have been making an effort to manually aid. Not everyone all the time. 5 HoFs a day is my goal. And I post my results on the main thread every few days so members know I am working right along side of them. The effort is paying off.

I realize younger players make much fewer crowns with their HoFs. But they still do make crowns. I realize HoFs take space that could be used for other things. But that is true for any era. Also... no need to make room in your city later if you already have HoFs. I realize they require 1ups or rks. No matter when you place them, they will require those. And they are still producing crowns if you don't have a 1up available. 1up them as you can.

My side note... I have noticed from manually aiding that most younger players' Hofs are usually motivated. It's those of us with cities full of SoKs and SSWs that need help keeping our HoFs motivated.