• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Question] Guilds w/o GE or GvG?

DeletedUser30943

Okay, so, I'm still fairly new and I really have no significant interest in combat. GvG is just something I'm not going to get involved in at all.

GE is quickly losing its appeal as well. I either waste a lot of resources or lose most of my troops after a single battle, much less all of them. Sometimes, I make it into the last quarter of the first level, but what I've lost along the way usually is more than what I've gained in rewards. I mean, really, whoop-dee-doo, I've gained a new unit I could make on my own except it dies permanently unless I put it in city defence, supplies or gold I could make on my own, a building I could make on my own...you get the idea. Sure, if I'm lucky, I might get diamonds or a blueprint, but those are rare and small enough that I'd rather just rely on random reward quests for diamonds, and the various other methods of getting blueprints. I've read lots of posts with negotiation or combat tips, but I get negotiation just fine already, and most of the combat tips seem to mention spies, GBs, or what have you...things I don't have and largely have no access to at this point in my game. Don't get me wrong, I'm not actually trying to trash GE, honest. :) I'm just saying that at a low level, when you don't have a lot of supplies and little interest in combat, it seems to take more than it gives to the player who mostly focusses on city building and trading.

So, my question is: what does one do with a guild that actually benefits the new player without draining them dry? I'm sort of getting into GB point-swapping a bit, and when I can find a decent trade, it's nice not to have to pay the extra FP for it, but apart from that, I'm at a loss as to what guilds really do for me (edit: I mean in terms of interesting things to do...I understand the basic passive benefits). Is there some interesting way that I can contribute to my guild and get rewards for it that doesn't involve GvG or GE? Am I missing something?

Last edited by a moderator:

Algona

A guild that is organized, pursues GE and GvG can grow, gain Power. That Power eventually raises the Guild's level, netting some Rewards for the Guild. Daily FPs, cheaper and faster troop recruiting, cheaper buildings. But it does take a lot of effort to ramp a Guild inro the 20s, a hell of a lot to get into the 40s and insane effort and time to go beyond that. The very best of these Fuilds work gard, play hard, and help each other grow. They cooperate on common goals. Social interaction and xommunication have to run high.

There's also a comforting feeling knowing your helping a Guild grow, that you're not just playing ProgressQuest.

If you don't want to work hard towards the Goals and Requirements of a Guild you are right to NOT join that Guild that demands players work towards those goals.

Try out a bunch of different Guilds, find one that supports the parts of the game you enjoy. If you;re diligent in your search you will find what you seek.

Heh. That sounded kinda zen, eh?

DeletedUser26120

As for your own game personally, it sounds like you need to work on getting the attack GBs and leveling them up - Statue of Zeus, Cathedral of Aachen, and Castel del Monte.

The higher your bonus gets, the easier battles will be for you. I have all mine at 10 and I can fight 63 out of the 64 encounters in GE in Contemporary Era. My average troop loss in the first 48 encounters is less than ten, and I lose about 25-30 rogues on level 4.

Rogues are another important thing to get if you haven't yet - there was the summer event recently that offered Rogue Hideouts. If you missed that, they will likely be in the upcoming Fall event - not sure which month that is (Sept or Oct).

I find GE very worthwhile in the rewards I get.

DeletedUser30943

Yeah, at this point in my games, I've only got a level 2 Zeus in one city, nothing else. I first discovered the game during the summer event, but didn't really understand what they were about at the time, so didn't get into it too much. I had one rogue at one point, but it died. Never even saw a hideout.

Oh and coincidentally, shortly after I posted here, one of my guild-mates posted about organizing Observatory building and levelling, which seems like a good way to contribute until I've got more stuff to work with, and will eventually lead to the bonuses Algona mentioned.

And yeah, to Algona's points, I've already been guild-shopping and found some guilds that are good fits for me. I was just wondering what I'm supposed to be doing at this stage when I don't like GvG and can't complete a full GE level. Maybe it's just me, but it feels like Inno needs to add something for us guild newbs. I'm just not sure what to suggest.

DeletedUser27184

Guilds gives you:
* Allow you to swap FP safely within the guild with guild-members. You will need to have GB's in this game, and you will need to up them. The easiest and best way is swapping. Which can be pretty hard outside of a guild. You can try through friends and such, but that takes a long time and hazardous. A guild will allow you to grow your GB's from day 1.
* Lots of buffs in a guild. For example it gives you FP on your main hall (some 2-8 FP depends on guild level). Building will cost less (can be up to 15% or so), and more.
* It allow you to swap goods easily and cheap. And more importantly, when you do have an advance era BP's and miss some goods to build it up, the guild will help you with that too. The deals for advance goods (AF goods are always super hot) are much easier to get within the guild + sometimes they will sell it to you cheaper then outside the guild (for example say 500 FP for an Arc instead of 1000 FP).
* Its a social place. People usually answer your questions without trolling (as opposed to chats). The guild leaders usually have some experience in the game and can help a lot.

DeletedUser27184

Also, learn to GE.
GE is a MINEGOLD - (not for gold, but for...) FP, goods and such. The issue, as you wrote, is not losing much in the process.
The start can be a bit hard. You need to learn the tactics, and have the barrakes in the city to support the death toll.
Recruiting new troops is rather cheap, so you waste a few hundred on the troops, but earn back FP's, Goods, multiple buildings and usualy you get back more gold and supplies to even the money.
DONT negotiate. Thats a big waste. Learn to fight.
I did GE up to level 3 without Traz and Rogue Hideout for months. I build up the ToR before I put the Traz for double earning from GE.

DeletedUser30943

Just to clarify, I understand at least the basic benefits of a guild, I was more wondering what there is to *do* when you don't want to do GvG and can't finish a GE level.

DeletedUser30943

DONT negotiate. Thats a big waste. Learn to fight.

This right here is what's turning me off of GE. I prefer the negotation to the fighting, and I despise the fact that if I lose a battle or surrender, I get absolutely nothing, plus I have to wait several hours to rebuild any lost units. I don't mind the occasional fight, and I understand basic tactics of fighting on preferred ground or with units that are good against your opponent, but I don't consider myself terribly skilled at it, and I'm not interested in becoming skilled at it or devoting large swaths of my city to create huge armies. This game just isn't about that for me. Heck, I've considered the possibility of going army-free and devoting the space to goods buildings.

DeletedUser26120

I was more wondering what there is to *do* when you don't want to do GvG and can't finish a GE level.
Try quest looping. https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/cosmic-ravens-version-of-heavy-questing.15777/

Good way to accumulate goods, supplies, coins, blueprints, and fp while you level up otherwise.

Try to do the events, most give remarkable prizes at the end. And big ones like spring, summer, fall, winter you can win a bunch of stuff.

One piece of advice - take it easy on the continent map, don't get too far ahead. Most quests require you to conquer a province in the end so if you get far ahead you're in trouble trying to complete them.

You can go army-free and do just goods. I've seen people play that way and they can still get good ranks.

DeletedUser27848

^ Dude everybody starts out with pretty much the same frustration in the battles, and GE fighting-negotiating.

When I first got into GE, I mainly just negotiated. Eventually my combat GBs started giving me an edge, but it was when I got Rogue Hideouts that GE really started to get fun and rewarding.

When the next event comes, that offers a chance at the REAL prizes, which are Shrine of Knowledge, Rogue Hideouts, Champions Retreats, Wishing Wells, try to win as many of those SoKs and Rogue Hideouts as you can.

Also, collect those Temple of Relic blueprints and build the ToR as soon as you can. It pays immediate dividends.

And btw, I have 5 established cities, all LMA, multiple Rogue Hideouts in each, and I have a pretty good idea of the fighting strategy in this game.
But I just started a new city, and I'm in the early part of the game; Iron Age. In that, I have zero Rogues, only a level 3 Zeus, and I really have no shot at winning battles.

The game is a marathon, not a sprint.

Do not rush through Tech.

Do not rush through Eras.

Gain boosts with Great Buildings.

Get Rogue Hideouts and Shrines of Knowledge.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser30943

Thanks! Lots of good, practical advice in those last two posts. It's reassuring to know that I'm not alone in having these issues or considering a military-free playstyle. I'm trying it in one of my cities to see how it works out.

Quick side-question: what's "LMA"? I'm sure I'll kick myself when someone tells me. :p

DeletedUser

Sounds like you would rather be a goods trader. Fighting is the fastest way to improve score but having lots of goods makes you popular. I take "trade for profit" from others because I know I can always go to them in a pinch. Kinda like paying too much at a convenience store.
If you take this route "collect on time". Can't stress it enough. Plunderers have a friends network and communicate to others as to whats available and when. Or build a solid defense, sell the goods for FP's on your great buildings.
Good luck and the cool thing about the game is there is no one way one to play it. Have fun!

DeletedUser26965

If you don't want to GvG, GE or PvP then you can socialize, do events, quests and make a city oh and soon wonder around and look for stuff all day.

DeletedUser30312

Guild give you free trading, so you can take trades without spending FP. Many of them insist on particular trade ratios as well, so there's fewer trades that will rip you off. Better guild will have FPs swap on GBs that'll help you build them up and get bps for new ones. Guilds with higher levels gain more benefits, for you the main benefit here is daily bonus fps that guilds start getting once they hit level 10.

You probably want a guild that's at least moderately active that'll be good for trading and leveling GBs, but not one that's really hardcore into GE or GvG. If you're playing the browser version, ask around in the global chat for recommendations unless you're happy where you are.

This right here is what's turning me off of GE. I prefer the negotation to the fighting, and I despise the fact that if I lose a battle or surrender, I get absolutely nothing, plus I have to wait several hours to rebuild any lost units. I don't mind the occasional fight, and I understand basic tactics of fighting on preferred ground or with units that are good against your opponent, but I don't consider myself terribly skilled at it, and I'm not interested in becoming skilled at it or devoting large swaths of my city to create huge armies. This game just isn't about that for me. Heck, I've considered the possibility of going army-free and devoting the space to goods buildings.

It's possible to go this route, though it's kind of the exact opposite of how I play. Some of the players in my guild negotiate heavily through the GE and get to the end of level 3 (or 4 when we unlock it), so it can be done. You just need to build yourself up, but fighting requires this too. Don't get rid of your barracks just yet, you need units to defend your city. GE will give you unattached units however, so put them on defense and don't risk them in fighting until you've got more than enough to defend. After that you can largely eschew an army if you want.

I suggest you go for the Lighthouse and Babel for your next GBs, since both produce goods. That will help you a lot, and the LoA will increase your supply production. The Hagia may a good fit for your city, since fp production is always good, and it'll probably end up being a significant source of happiness. St Mark's is another goods producer and it will give you a big increase to your coin production. There's a lot of discussion on GBs over in this thread https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/which-gbs-not-to-build-and-why.19217/ so if you haven't read it take a look through it.

But yes, take your time and build up your city rather than rushing through the tech tree. Get a good foundation now, and it'll serve you well later.

DeletedUser29395

Try quest looping. https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/cosmic-ravens-version-of-heavy-questing.15777/

Good way to accumulate goods, supplies, coins, blueprints, and fp while you level up otherwise.

Try to do the events, most give remarkable prizes at the end. And big ones like spring, summer, fall, winter you can win a bunch of stuff.

One piece of advice - take it easy on the continent map, don't get too far ahead. Most quests require you to conquer a province in the end so if you get far ahead you're in trouble trying to complete them.

You can go army-free and do just goods. I've seen people play that way and they can still get good ranks.
+100% this advice.
Once I started heavy questing, I had no problems negotiating GE all the way through. It has definitely been worth it, and I finish level 4 every week. I'm now to where I can fight at least 1/2 way through GE level 2 and I'm in HMA, but o often negotiate for speed's sake.

Algona

I first discovered the game during the summer event,

My apologies, I didn't realize you were this new to the game.

Bad Guilds want new players to contribute.

Good Guilds ask new players not to do anything except learn and grow.

Great Guilds help new players grow. They teach them fundamentals and help them learn effective game techniques.

You'll want an established Guild with a wide varity of Eras represented. As you are Guild shopping talk to the Leaders of perspective Guilds. Ask about your interests and if the Guild supports that style of play. Ask how they manage new players. Good luck.

DeletedUser29395

There are other ways to help your guild without doing gvg, and I'm mainly thinking of the GBs that help your guild. You can always donate to your guild treasury, and be a solid fp trade partner. GE really helps, though. My suggestion is to do heavy questing, negotiate GE as far as you want to, build GBs that help your guild, and just be a good guild mate. It's more fulfiling than you might think. :)

DeletedUser26965

Bad Guilds want new players to contribute.

Good Guilds ask new players not to do anything except learn and grow.
Can't say I agree with Algona on that, I think every competitive guild I've ever seen has some sort of requirements that require all members to do something with goods and or fp's among other things despite being new to the game, that doesn't make them bad in any sense, and it doesn't mean they won't help new players learn and grow. Though since it seems the OP is looking for a causal guild so it wouldn't be a problem anyway as most don't have any structure, rules, requirements etc.

DeletedUser

Just saying...without doing GE via fighting or negotiations your top guilds may not accept you. GE is valuable for added guild levels and benefits.