• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Question] Guilds w/o GE or GvG?

spnnr

This right here is what's turning me off of GE. I prefer the negotation to the fighting, and I despise the fact that if I lose a battle or surrender, I get absolutely nothing, plus I have to wait several hours to rebuild any lost units....

This game just isn't about that for me. Heck, I've considered the possibility of going army-free and devoting the space to goods buildings.

I also found GE to be pretty taxing early on especially when everyone was turning in large numbers. Here's the thing though its difficulty is scaled so gradually and slowly at first you will progress a bit further -a couple steps at a time then suddenly you will move faster and shoot to level 2 .. It can be a bit of a grind , but IF you have a decent level Zeus (helps battling) and a Temple of Relic (for hidden relics) to gain rewards its wont be as bad.

Negotiation is fine based on your playing style don't forget to use your tavern boost to get extra turn and stock up on goods.

DeletedUser

Just saying...without doing GE via fighting or negotiations your top guilds may not accept you. GE is valuable for added guild levels and benefits.
Even a lot of non-top guilds won't want someone that doesn't do GE, as that is a main way for non-GvG guilds to level up. I know the small guild I lead on Vingrid doesn't accept/keep players that don't commit to GE.

DeletedUser30943

Amusingly, I just completed my first GE...and it was in the test city where I just went military-free. :) Now that I'm starting to generate more goods, I figured I'd give it a shot and build up my unattached units. Mostly it was luck in the negotations on the intermediary levels that got me to the end, plus a couple of diamonds on the last level. That's not my primary city, so normally I don't spend diamonds on that world, but seeing as it was my first time, and it was only a small amount, I paid until I won. Got a Victory Tower out of it, which is kind of a slow medal generator, but hey, it's only one square.

Oh and thanks for the tip about the tavern boost. I'd come across it before, but had forgotten it was there. I'm mostly focussing on leveling up my taverns, but once they're fully decked out, I'll have to make use of the boost more often.

DeletedUser26120

Got a Victory Tower out of it, which is kind of a slow medal generator, but hey, it's only one square.
I love those. I have over 30 victory towers in my city, in Contemporary Era they are giving out 100 medals a week now. Have had 20+ in my city since HMA and it's helped a lot with medals. I keep adding victory towers every time I win one.

Most high era players have blocks of watchfires/ritual flames in their city. Mine will be like that, but with victory towers lol.

Glad you are getting the hang of the game and enjoying it! I started over a year ago and still learn new things. I would like to say it took over 6 months of playing before I considered myself halfway decent at this game.

DeletedUser

I love those. I have over 30 victory towers in my city, in Contemporary Era they are giving out 100 medals a week now.
Come on Dursland, 30 towers at 100 a week isn't jack for the space. Sure your city looks pretty but condense the space for something more powerfull.

DeletedUser26120

Come on Dursland, 30 towers at 100 a week isn't jack for the space. Sure your city looks pretty but condense the space for something more powerfull.
Like what? They are all over the place, look me up in city planner - Dursland on US21 vingrid.

The only thing I could really replace them with (in most places) are watchfires and I don't have any. I'd rather have VTs anyways. Weekly benefit that's worth more than 1st in pvp tower vs something that might defend me once, twice, three times a week at best.

No contest.

Edit: I see a 2x2 arrangement of VTs I could convert into a SoK as soon as I get one. I would be happy to! lol, otherwise they are all 1x__ spots that can't be converted into anything else save watchfires.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser30312

Victory Towers aren't bad, but real medal production comes from GB contributions, VTs can't even begin to compete there. They're still okay for filling in unused 1x1 spaces here and there in the city, though Watchfires are much better for that. I don't see myself using more than 5 or 6 of them for a little extra medal production, and I've already won more than that through the GE.

DeletedUser26120

Nobody will ever convince me watchfires are better than VTs, between the infrequency of being attacked and collecting on time.

DeletedUser

Nobody will ever convince me watchfires are better than VTs, between the infrequency of being attacked and collecting on time.
Part of my infrequency of being attacked is having over 300% defense boost. In fact, after the last hood shuffle, the new top guy attacked, then retreated, and has aided me every day since. If not for the Watchfires, he would undoubtedly be making me his...well, you know what I mean. ;)

Algona

Real medal production comes from a city in a serious HQS mode. All the rest are just imposters.

i earned 15K Medals in 4 weeks in my EMA city by donating to high Era GBs. (Yes, yes, I know HQS doesn't spend any time in EMA. I happen to like it here,)

Can you tell me how long you would expect to take to earn 15K Medals from the best HQS Eras? Say HMA and CA?

Last edited:

DeletedUser26965

i earned 15K Medals in 4 weeks in my EMA city by donating to high Era GBs. (Yes, yes, I know HQS doesn't spend any time in EMA. I happen to like it here,)

Can you tell me how long you would expect to take to earn 15K Medals from the best HQS Eras? Say HMA and CA?
Seems like 15 days in CA according to CR
I sat in Colonial age and scored about 1,000 medals per day and my city expanded like wild fire

In OF with a high CF it's like 4 hours
with this city:
http://prntscr.com/eycqo6
I can make 2k goods/75m coins/50m supply/50-80fp/100k medals/loads of bp/diamond is only once then it turned to medal.

DeletedUser27184

Currently, in ME, I do around 60-80k a month . 80k-100k including rewards. Level 10 CF (Which I finished just last month, therefore the numbers a bit wonky).

Algona

Currently, in ME, I do around 60-80k a month . 80k-100k including rewards. Level 10 CF (Which I finished just last month, therefore the numbers a bit wonky).

Not sure i understand, how many Medals a month do you get from RQs?

-----------

Thanks SJS. Love that final city screen shot.

Do you happen to have any idea how many RQs an HQS HMA city does in a day? I can do the math myself... Or not, I suddenly realized I don't know the Medals payout for HMA RQs. I suppose i could go look it up in the Book of HQS? Is it in there?

Silly me! of course it is! 30 Medals for HMA, 70 for CA RQs. Book of HQS Chapter 8, Verse 14: The Glories of Inno Tower.

CR did 1000 Medals per day in CA. 3/7 of 1000 = 428. Might not be able to do quite as many HMA RQs as a CA city
'cause it's smaller? So call it 400 Medals per day*, say 5 weeks to get 15K medals.

Not bad! Compares favorably with my run.

HQS in EMA would have taken 10 weeks, 2.5 times as long. (Yes, yes, I know HQS doesn't spend any time in EMA. I happen to like it here,) (Why do I get the feeling I'll be saying that a lot when comparing anything to HQS?) (And yes, I do realize it would be a hekuva lot longer, much bigger Prod bldngs, much smaller cuty, which is why HQS doesn't spend any time there. Really, I get it! I can also explain Amway 6-4-2 Me and You better then a DD, but I don't sell Amway either.)

HQS is sweet, unbelievably productive, and has a great answer for everything, just not necessarily the best answer for some things.

My point is anyone can contribute to high Era GBs who is out of BA, produces FPs, and understands how to assure a FB Contribution Reward, No special strategies. No recipes. No particular GBs.

*Assumes a lvl 10 CF. Which you should have if you are doing HMA HQS, n'est ce pas?

Mustapha00

I play on five servers and am in a Guild on each of them.

Of those five Guilds, two have a strict requirement on GE participation. One requires just the first four encounters on level 1 be completed, the other requires all of level 1 to be completed. Two of the other Guilds "lead by example": all of the top players complete all four levels each week and many more complete level 3. But those are not formal requirements as a condition of membership.

I'd say that it is crucial that you find a Guild which has a focus that largely agrees with what you want to do in the game. There are plenty of Guilds which ask, but not demand, that you participate in various aspects of the game. I find those to be the ones I strongly prefer.

DeletedUser27184

Not sure i understand, how many Medals a month do you get from RQs?
I parked in ME for the last 4 months. At that time I got between 60k-80k medals production from the HQS per month. Most of the growth (I think) is due to the CF going from level 4 to 10.

HQS is sweet, unbelievably productive, and has a great answer for everything, just not necessarily the best answer for some things.
Ya, I like the HQS and follow most of it. Up to the FP regulations. I LOVE FP. Some of the FP buildings that CR was against are proudly giving me tons of FP's.

DeletedUser29623

I love my guild because we have an active, communicative leader who helps out newer players. I have also not fought a single battle since BA, except once for a quest (incredibly, I won). I also love GEs. It's basically gambling. Double down on goods production -- two shops for each boost of the current age. Trade proactively, even up your stock of each good as you go along so you never have to spend FPs in the market. Don't rush up the tech tree. In my guild, if someone comes up short I can usually offer them a quick free trade for whatever they need. Save up for the GE and always buy the extra turn boost. It will last as long as your stack of attempts. If you stockpile enough goods you'll never need diamonds. Last GE we finally opened up level three and I got 125 diamonds total. Very lucky, yes, but I was really hoping for a one-up kit.

My city is entirely defended by unattached units won in GE, plus some rogues from a hideout I won. That's my only military building, but my defensive Army is pretty good, and I have several boosts. They can't be killed and I usually have a current Champion without having to update a retreat. Most of the players who attack me surrender. The only one who didn't lost all his units. But just in case I always collect on time. It's very possible to play without combat if, like me, you find it boring.

DeletedUser30943

Thanks for the advice, Lauramiller. Since someone pointed me to quest looping/heavy questing earlier in this thread, I've really started to get into it. It suits my preferred play-style and the role I'd want to take in a guild very nicely. Reading advice like yours really helps expand on what I've already learned and suggest alternatives or tweaks to play-styles outlined by others. The fact that it's succinct is also very helpful, if I'm being honest...I have certain cognitive issues, and reading something as massive as Cosmic Raven's post was...let's go with "challenging". ;) Still, I got the gist, and Glarg's much shorter post in a thread on GBs was also really helpful.

And yeah, I'd really love to get some rogues going. I had one in the very early days and didn't understand the value of it, so lost it pretty quickly. I came across someone the other day who had only a rogue hideout for defence (or maybe it was you, for all I know). Seems like an interesting strategy...now all I need is a Rogue Hideout in every city. And yes, I find combat incredibly boring. Good for a change of pace once in a blue moon, but I really don't feel a need for it.

DeletedUser29623

You're welcome! Cosmic Raven's method is very interesting, but also fairly advanced. It's something to try once you really get the hang of the game, I think, and can make better sense of his arguments. Personally, I want to try out most of the interesting features of the game before focusing in very narrowly on a very specific plan that involves not building any goods buildings, but I can certainly see trying it at some point. However, it is still good advice not to rush along the tech tree or continent map, and you can work the recurring quests even if you don't go for the full Heavy Questing method. I also get the most pleasure from winning prizes, even if I can't always use them, so I'm pretty keen on the Guild Expedition and the Temple of Ruins. It helps to know what makes the game fun for you in particular.