• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Question] Guilds w/o GE or GvG?

DeletedUser30312

And yeah, I'd really love to get some rogues going. I had one in the very early days and didn't understand the value of it, so lost it pretty quickly. I came across someone the other day who had only a rogue hideout for defence (or maybe it was you, for all I know). Seems like an interesting strategy...now all I need is a Rogue Hideout in every city. And yes, I find combat incredibly boring. Good for a change of pace once in a blue moon, but I really don't feel a need for it.

Rogues are an attack unit, not a defense one. One or two on defense isn't bad, but you don't want more than that. The real value of the rogue isn't that 100 attack value, it's the secret identity ability. Players use them when attacking to soak hits because the AI is stupid and targets them first. People who use a lot of them on defense are easy targets because experienced fighters know to destroy everything else first, and when only rogues are left they die in one hit.

DeletedUser29623

Rogues are an attack unit, not a defense one. One or two on defense isn't bad, but you don't want more than that. The real value of the rogue isn't that 100 attack value, it's the secret identity ability. Players use them when attacking to soak hits because the AI is stupid and targets them first. People who use a lot of them on defense are easy targets because experienced fighters know to destroy everything else first, and when only rogues are left they die in one hit.

This is what my guild leader informed me, so I just use one or two.

DeletedUser

I would go even further and say not to use even 1 on defense. I attack all the way through GE, and I attack almost my entire hood regularly. When I see even 1 Rogue in defense, it means 1 less hit my troops are going to take, because I won't target that/those Rogues until last. They will never hit my troops. Never. At the same time, the hits from the regular troops will also be at least one less, because all 7 of them will hit a Rogue on their first shot, and won't get a second shot unless they have reactive armor. This is based on CE, but holds true to some extent in pretty much every age. A Rogue on defense is little better than a Drummer Boy or Color Guard, and maybe not even as good because the other troops don't get any boost from it.

DeletedUser30312

It depends on age to some degree. That 100 attack can be pretty potent in an early age unless the rogue gets transformed first. It depends on what that rogue is being mixed with on the defense though, and how the attacker attacks if he doesn't just AI the battle. 1 or 2 defending rogues in the defense makes me wary with some units like heavies, because of the possibility of the rogue getting transformed into a hard to kill unit before I can eliminate said units from the battle. OTOH, seeing a rogue get transformed into a ranged or artillery unit is amusing.

DeletedUser27184

It depends on age to some degree. That 100 attack can be pretty potent in an early age unless the rogue gets transformed first. It depends on what that rogue is being mixed with on the defense though, and how the attacker attacks if he doesn't just AI the battle. 1 or 2 defending rogues in the defense makes me wary with some units like heavies, because of the possibility of the rogue getting transformed into a hard to kill unit before I can eliminate said units from the battle. OTOH, seeing a rogue get transformed into a ranged or artillery unit is amusing.
Also in the earlier age the range of most of the troops is 1, which allow the rogue to come to hit. As the ages get older, the range grow larger, and then the rogues become absolute (in defense. They are still the best on offense).

DeletedUser29623

This is good to know, thanks. So would you guys advise just saving the rogues for retaliatory attacks? That's the only kind of attack I can see needing to do, though I have yet to do it.

DeletedUser26120

So would you guys advise just saving the rogues for retaliatory attacks?
Generally speaking you go in with 1 or 2 units and 6 or 7 rogues. You keep your original unit in the back and move the rogues forward to be transformed.

After that you fight like normal, but I do prioritize putting the rogues in danger before the original unit(s) yes - if that's part of what you were asking.

DeletedUser30312

Generally speaking you go in with 1 or 2 units and 6 or 7 rogues. You keep your original unit in the back and move the rogues forward to be transformed.

After that you fight like normal, but I do prioritize putting the rogues in danger before the original unit(s) yes - if that's part of what you were asking.

And at least in the early ages, where the fast/light/heavy units have an attack range of only 1, I take advantage of counterattacks. Fast, light, and heavy units will counter 1 close range attack per round, and when you put down the rogue spam, the attacks play like this: first an AI unit hits the rogue. Then the rogue transforms and the transformed unit counters if it isn't ranged or artillery. The result is the attacking unit is now hurt, while the rogue is now a different unit that's at full health. This is very effective when you match up a unit against the AI's weaknesses.

DeletedUser29623

Hmmm. i only have the two Rogues and since I've yet to need to attack anyone, I don't think I want to invest in more. Also, realistically, I'm not going to be bothered to learn how to conduct the fight myself. It's too boring. So it would have to be an arrangement that works with auto battle.

If I don't really need the Rogue or Rogues on city defense, though, then I don't really care if they win or die. I have more unattached troops than I know what to do with, including a dozen unused berserkers. The point would be to discourage further attacks, that's all.

DeletedUser29623

I just got a bunch of rogues in a relic, so I'll be taking this advice should I need to attack anyone, thanks!

DeletedUser29390

I have been playing a little under a year on a mobile. Just learned about the GvG, bummed can't do it with a mobile :) You could join a guild like mine with no rules or requirements. A guild can be really beneficial the higher the level. Slow and steady while you go. The more great buildings you have the more easy you have it. Good Luck buddy. ..

Okay, so, I'm still fairly new and I really have no significant interest in combat. GvG is just something I'm not going to get involved in at all.

GE is quickly losing its appeal as well. I either waste a lot of resources or lose most of my troops after a single battle, much less all of them. Sometimes, I make it into the last quarter of the first level, but what I've lost along the way usually is more than what I've gained in rewards. I mean, really, whoop-dee-doo, I've gained a new unit I could make on my own except it dies permanently unless I put it in city defence, supplies or gold I could make on my own, a building I could make on my own...you get the idea. Sure, if I'm lucky, I might get diamonds or a blueprint, but those are rare and small enough that I'd rather just rely on random reward quests for diamonds, and the various other methods of getting blueprints. I've read lots of posts with negotiation or combat tips, but I get negotiation just fine already, and most of the combat tips seem to mention spies, GBs, or what have you...things I don't have and largely have no access to at this point in my game. Don't get me wrong, I'm not actually trying to trash GE, honest. :) I'm just saying that at a low level, when you don't have a lot of supplies and little interest in combat, it seems to take more than it gives to the player who mostly focusses on city building and trading.

So, my question is: what does one do with a guild that actually benefits the new player without draining them dry? I'm sort of getting into GB point-swapping a bit, and when I can find a decent trade, it's nice not to have to pay the extra FP for it, but apart from that, I'm at a loss as to what guilds really do for me (edit: I mean in terms of interesting things to do...I understand the basic passive benefits). Is there some interesting way that I can contribute to my guild and get rewards for it that doesn't involve GvG or GE? Am I missing something?

DeletedUser31403

Also, learn to GE.
GE is a MINEGOLD - (not for gold, but for...) FP, goods and such. The issue, as you wrote, is not losing much in the process.
The start can be a bit hard. You need to learn the tactics, and have the barrakes in the city to support the death toll.
Recruiting new troops is rather cheap, so you waste a few hundred on the troops, but earn back FP's, Goods, multiple buildings and usualy you get back more gold and supplies to even the money.
DONT negotiate. Thats a big waste. Learn to fight.
I did GE up to level 3 without Traz and Rogue Hideout for months. I build up the ToR before I put the Traz for double earning from GE.
I can't figure out how to recruit units?

DeletedUser30943

I can't figure out how to recruit units?
Basic recruiting is covered in the tutorial, but the short version is:
  • Put down some military buildings and then click on them.
  • Click Train for one unit.
  • Come back whenever the timer has elapsed and "collect" the unit like any other building.
  • Optionally, Train more units.
  • Optionally, Unlock more units.
If you need more units of a given type than the building provides, put down another building (or several) of the same type.

You can also get what are called "Unattached" units, which normally come from quests, the Treasure Hunt, or Guild Expeditions. These units don't require any buildings, but by the same token, once they're dead, there's no way to train more. (Although you do have the option to resurrect them for diamonds at the end of combat.)