• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

GVG is crap

Flavius Belisarius

I donated over 15,000 rogues and several other thousands of units as Defense Armies in just a few months with absolutely nothing to show for it. They never stopped or slowed our enemies. It just gave our enemies many fights to prosper from. We receive ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for filling DAs. So what good is GVG anyway? Bragging rights doesn't cut it for me anymore.
You did receive prestige which DID increase these abilities and rewards

Which is why they should remove the prestige...
Then wait six months and remove GvG...
All in the holy quest to reduce server loads at re-set...
I am rather sick of people wanting to remove the ability for other people to do things just because they don't like or agree with it. Got enough of that crap in the real world right now, don't need it in a game as well.

It would be nice if they could fix GvG and bring points better in line with other activities if it gives more than them, but it makes sense to me that a guild that participates in all aspects of a game should get more than one that does only some things. I would love it if mobile players could participate as well, but unfortunately this probably will never happen.

Pretty sure the PC version of this game was around a lot longer than the mobile version, so if it wasn't for GvG which probably got a lot of people to stick with the game and spend money, mobile players probably wouldn't even have a game to play.

Johnny B. Goode

Pretty sure the PC version of this game was around a lot longer than the mobile version, so if it wasn't for GvG which probably got a lot of people to stick with the game and spend money, mobile players probably wouldn't even have a game to play.
The PC version came first, but GvG was not in the original game. It came along shortly before the mobile version came out. There was a small window where GvG was the main feature of the game, but its further development was abandoned less than two years after it was introduced. Mobile came along so soon after GvG (a matter of weeks or a few months at most) that it had to have been well along in development before GvG even came out. So your wishful thinking on GvG's importance to the game's existence is in conflict with the actual facts of the game's history.

The PC version came first, but GvG was not in the original game. It came along shortly before the mobile version came out. There was a small window where GvG was the main feature of the game, but its further development was abandoned less than two years after it was introduced. Mobile came along so soon after GvG (a matter of weeks or a few months at most) that it had to have been well along in development before GvG even came out. So your wishful thinking on GvG's importance to the game's existence is in conflict with the actual facts of the game's history.
I don't care or pay attention to mobile anything so was unaware of the timing on this. Thanks for the clarification.

Flavius Belisarius

Yes, GvG was in play before mobile access. Then mobile access began with no access to GvG. We were told that GvG could not be supported in mobile world. The developer for GvG died. He was honored with the Speaker's Corner quest. GbG was implemented to provide an alternative approach to GvG with rewards available for fighting which GvG did not provide, only increases to Guild prestige and guild advantages. FOE is still a great venue and like any media-entertainment venue, if you don't enjoy it, there are other places to go.
I like the forum where you can express wishes or coulda/shoulda's as long as I understand that I am only one voice and that my comments do not require action. If others, have the same comments, that may be something that INNO may consider.

Johnny B. Goode

If others, have the same comments, that may be something that INNO may consider.
Except that in the case of GvG, they have made it abundantly clear that they will not consider it. There won't be any updating/upgrading/porting of GvG. I get that some few players enjoy it immensely, and they should be thankful that it is still around, but improving it is not in the plans for FoE's future.

The Lady Redneck

OK I am kinda sorry for all the players who have never had the chance to decide for themselves about GvG. But INNO did the right thing when they stepped up and admitted they did not have the skills to fix it. So would leave it as is. Now after 3 - 4 years of comparing it to the disaster of the supposed replacement (GBG) I am very glad they are leaving GVG alone as it is at least playable and a load of fun. GBG on the other hand is like a mind numbing 27/7 unpaid job that people seem to fast becoming sick fed up of, despite the rewards.

I wonder if INNO will every have the decency to step up like they did with GvG and admit they cannot correct the in built programming flaws inherent in GBG and say they will do no more to develop it. Or will they just keep trying yet one more patch that will do nothing.

Johnny B. Goode

OK I am kinda sorry for all the players who have never had the chance to decide for themselves about GvG. But INNO did the right thing when they stepped up and admitted they did not have the skills to fix it. So would leave it as is. Now after 3 - 4 years of comparing it to the disaster of the supposed replacement (GBG) I am very glad they are leaving GVG alone as it is at least playable and a load of fun. GBG on the other hand is like a mind numbing 27/7 unpaid job that people seem to fast becoming sick fed up of, despite the rewards.

I wonder if INNO will every have the decency to step up like they did with GvG and admit they cannot correct the in built programming flaws inherent in GBG and say they will do no more to develop it. Or will they just keep trying yet one more patch that will do nothing.
I seriously doubt that it was lack of skills that caused them not to port GvG to mobile. In development it was probably due to the fact that there wasn't a mobile platform yet, and after that it might have been a little lack of foresight. Then the lead game designer (who was reportedly the driving force behind GvG) died. Apparently, GvG's future development died with him. At least that seems to make the most sense, given the game's history.

As far as GBG, the simplest cure would be to take the cap off LP. That way the top guilds would be paired up in the top leagues, instead of the way it is now with lesser guilds constantly being pushed into Diamond. With no patsies to conspire against, maybe the top guilds would actually battle rather than play checkers like they do now.

Johnny B. Goode

You receive Prestige from filling DAs?? I never heard that before!
Probably because it's not true. I was going to let his/her remark go, but since you mentioned it...
You did receive prestige which DID increase these abilities and rewards
No, he didn't receive Prestige. Neither did his guild. They received Prestige from owning the sector, but that was a result of the attackers, not those filling the DAs. You might argue that filling the DAs helps a guild hold onto a sector, but anyone familiar at all with the dynamics of GvG knows that's not true. DAs aren't even a speed bump to an attacker. They are the most worthless things in FoE, even worse than the Colosseum, because at least friends will tell you not to bother with the Colosseum.

And as far as the "abilities and rewards" you get from that Prestige, they are worth more than the Colosseum, but not by much. Slightly shorter training times? Who cares when you've got thousands of Rogues and preferred units? FP? Not enough to make a dent in any GB's level past the first couple. Seriously, the guild benefits from higher guild levels are not even worth enough to be viewed as gravy. At most they are a small incentive to a brand new player in their first few weeks, after that they are superfluous to a well run city. Certainly not worth the cost of doing GvG.

Emberguard

It would be nice if they could fix GvG and bring points better in line with other activities if it gives more than them
It doesn't except for absolute extreme cases, and if you remove GvG from the equation it doesn't change the ranking by much anyway. GvG does still effect things, but that more to do with it being an additional source of Prestige other Guilds aren't doing rather than the amount of Prestige. That and Guild Battlegrounds has a max cap on the amount it can give

This is a screenshot from Sept 2021 when I sat down to work out what kind of difference GvG is actually making.

#3 Guild was at 975 LP, while all other Guilds were at 1,000 LP.

This is what the order would look like if you completely removed GvG points from the equation:

unknown.png

The thing is, all Guilds except #1 actually earned more Prestige from GBG than they did from GvG, and it didn't even change the ranking order for the #1 Guild.

Original Image showing the breakdown of Prestige from GBG, GvG and Level (1,000 LP = 18k Prestige):
unknown.png

Last edited: