• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

GVG is crap

wolfhoundtoo

That's the thing with me. I have seen recalc on a high competition server. Still don't like it. I understand that if you are in a large guild with many fighters it might be fun for a while, but only if you're available at 7 PM Central time, which I am usually not. Also, from what I've seen in Forum posts, it seems that a lot of the top guilds concentrate on the AA map, which is only really playable if you're in the top era. So if you're not in SAV, and the guild isn't active in the era you're currently in, then you have to produce lower era troops to participate, assuming they are active in a lower age. Or resign yourself to be a supporting player providing goods, and maybe DAs for any maps at or below your era. And what fun is that? None, and I speak from experience. Even if you're able to be a fighter, it becomes boring really quick, at least it did for me. Too much work for literally no rewards. And if you haven't noticed, a lot of players really care about tangible rewards. A lot.

I actually agree with you on this. If it were up to me, I would just remove the ability to block off landing zones. If a sector is a landing zone, it should always be open to attack. The fact that they can be blocked off is one of the most unrealistic aspects of the fighting in this game. (Not that I'm claiming there is a lot of realism, you can revive dead soldiers after all, but still.)

Well part of the concentration on AA would be that it doesn't actually need goods but medals for that map. Given the sheer number of high Arcs out there, I'd expect that some of those guilds can more easily generate the medals to hold large amounts of territory than they could in other ages (or they are using the goods for GBG instead). The AA map also gives the most power of course so that makes it more desirable too. I used to play GVG but you are correct the vast amount of the time it is reset that matters and that's 5 pm my time which doesn't work well.

The Lady Redneck

Okay, so the top 3 eras can fight. Whoopee! That only leaves 15 eras out of the fun.
I am in AF. But been playing GvG for a long time. So I have troops for every Era up to OF. and so do many in my guild, even those in SAV. We are not AA only snobs. So we can enjoy GvG in all ages/Eras if we wish. And FE Hovers do quite well in AA still. LOL I have even won battles in AA with troops from PE and up when there has been a call to AA and I have forgotten to change to Hovers before jumping into the fight. OK that does not happen often but when it does I got bragging rights :cool: :D

Last edited:

Flavius Belisarius

Making all sectors landing zone and eliminating positions is a poorly thought-out idea. At that point, it would simply become a game of burning up everyone's resources and making holding completely unsustainable.

Guilds should be rewarded for securing premium positions on maps, just like any other combat game. Changing up the landing zone so that certain areas of the map cannot be blocked off (AA in particular) would be a huge benefit to the game.

Something more dynamic like a moving landing spot would be more balanced while still rewarding guilds for securing premium strategic real estate.. Sort of like a "Drop zone" type of deal where somewhere that's not normally a landing zone would open up to be landed for several hours during a random time of day.
1) it would give off-hours players something meaningful to do since the current state of GVG is 95% around recalc.
2) it would create a way for small guilds or less dominant guilds to break into dominant guild's holdings (while)
3) Still rewarding and incentivizing guilds to have optimal positioning/real estate.
4) it would make using alts/ghost guilds to block access points significantly less effective.
5) it would force guilds to secure/fill inland sectors that are usually just left empty since they aren't likely to be attacked.

It's really a "minor" change that would completely tweak the entire balance/strategy/dynamics of gvg.
I get the point that this a pointless discussion because many of the long time well=known members feel it is.......but
what if there was a way to assault a non-LZ province? Yes it would change the current dynamic of the game and cause Guilds to re-think there strategy.
My success in GVG has been by attacking/raiding well before or after RECAL. Guild group fighting at RECAL is intense and does require Guild commitment.
The current Guild I serve really got our newish players energized with the game with a couple of RECAL Battles. The use of Rogues as DAs in non AF ERA is related to the cost of defending with DAs, recently in Tuulech more Guilds are starting to put more full unit (non-Rogue) DAs.

Attachments

• gvgmaster.png
    gvgmaster.png
    52.8 KB · Views: 3

RazorbackPirate

I get the point that this a pointless discussion because many of the long time well=known members feel it is...
This is incorrect. I know this is a pointless discussion because Inno has stated publicly, multiple times, that there will be no further changes to GvG. Ever.

Any ideas you may have will always be DNSL, meaning Inno will never even see the idea. Discuss away, but know it goes no further than this thread, no matter how great anyone's idea might be.

Then again, I guess their “fix” for bottling is to have everyone lock up and have to reload the game any time two players try to set a siege or DA an army at the same time. Happens at least half a dozen times to each of our players EVERY NIGHT during the 30 minutes after calc.
They are aware and do nothing, even though this does nothing to stop bottling since once a bot is set it won’t conflict with itself. I think the Inno programmers must have used to work for the US Government.

DreadfulCadillac

Almost no Guilds do GvG, you are not missing out on a lot.
Well, I'm slightly late too the party here by a year or more, but that is just flat out wrong.
The best solution to the GvG issue would be to seriously devalue its impact on guild ranking. Then it could die a natural death at long last. It's been on life support for over 5 years.
Johnny, Why? GvG is a great activity that brings guilds together, and helps craft this game into the wargame that it truly is. Every feature needs to bring something unique to the table, and what GvG brings to the table is ranking. Not only does it bring ranking, but for many (including myself), it's the best feature in the game. Let GvG have it's benifit that allows guilds to justify the expense, while also having fun. After our guild left our alliance and attacked the #3 guild that wasn't fighting anyone in a war atm and had tons of land everywhere, we brought them down to #11. Point being, GvG is the best part of the game where Alliances can be made and broken, where friendships over the nightly recalc can be made, and where true war can happen. Besides, for a player that doesn't care about ranking like yourself, there is no reason to remove the benifit, since it doesn't hurt you in any way.

Always a new member? who happens to be paranoid about bots.. Hmmm... something suspociously fishy there. LOL
I’m a new member on the forums because I got tired of bumping my head against the ticket wall. I’ve been in game for years and I’m tired of watching the game I enjoy being eroded away.
Let me guess, you’re in a bottling guild (Shhh…wait, Inno doesn’t care…).

Ebeondi Asi

I’m a new member on the forums because I got tired of bumping my head against the ticket wall. I’ve been in game for years and I’m tired of watching the game I enjoy being eroded away.
Let me guess, you’re in a bottling guild (Shhh…wait, Inno doesn’t care…).
So based merely on my not agreeing with you you have decided I also must be botting? Psycho conspiracy dude, you are almost funny except not. though it is a bit funny in a sad way.

Flavius Belisarius

I see that as leading to a few bully boy guilds (or even a few allied smaller ones with experienced GVG leaders), working to take tiles in a way that blanks out the beaches so that no-one can land. Then they would sit and farm each others tiles to gain even more battle points.
Which now occurs on the AF Continent.

Flavius Belisarius

There is no AF map in GvG, just Iron through Future and then the All Ages map.
You are correct. I should have said AA. However, in Tuulech it is overwhelmed by the Large Space Age Guilds.
AA could/should be converted to AF/OF/VF and SPACE AGEs could/should battle on a large moon (TITAN?HYPERION/TETHYS)
Yes I know INNO is probably not interested.

MJ Artisan of War

When INNO released AA they stated that there would be no further changes/updates to GVG...
Don't hold Your breath on that changing...

Johnny B. Goode

You are correct. I should have said AA. However, in Tuulech it is overwhelmed by the Large Space Age Guilds.
AA could/should be converted to AF/OF/VF and SPACE AGEs could/should battle on a large moon (TITAN?HYPERION/TETHYS)
Yes I know INNO is probably not interested.
And the reason they're not interested is because only a tiny minority of players even bother with GvG. It makes no economic sense to waste resources updating/upgrading a feature that is ignored by over 95% of active players and unavailable on the most used platform.