• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

GVG lag

DeletedUser32389

I'm so tired of making excuses for this company. The lag on GVG continues to make this game near unplayable. The HTML5 conversion looks like it's going to be even worse.

I HAVEN'T SEEN ANY REACTION OR EXPLANATION FOR THIS!!
Are there ANY fixes!? Clearing cache does nothing, and my internet speed is BLAZING
If this is to be another BS cow-counter then SO BE IT!!!

giphy.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser32389

@Snowbelle @Lancer @Sgt. Bothari
Can I get an arbiter? Just a voice? Somebody that tells me the packet density is just too much for the servers, and they can't afford better tech? Just a straight answer about ANY of this would be SOMETHING. Right now I'm trying to backward engineer all of this for no reason! WTF is going on?!?!

DeletedUser21322

Hi,
Please make sure you are using a flash friendly browser. I know this is what you guys are continually told. I am sorry for that. I personally like using Opera when fighting GVG. Please only open one world at a time as having multiple worlds can cause a lag, or slow in the game.

I am sorry I do not have any more information. Message me if you need anything else.

DeletedUser32389

Hi,
Please make sure you are using a flash friendly browser. I know this is what you guys are continually told. I am sorry for that. I personally like using Opera when fighting GVG. Please only open one world at a time as having multiple worlds can cause a lag, or slow in the game.

I am sorry I do not have any more information. Message me if you need anything else.
Thank you, I do use chrome. Opera as a FOE only browser must be my next step.
Most of you know more than I do about programming structure...
@Aprold I've was very impressed by your analysis of goods tracking to the treasury, and the oddities that arise when multiple commands hit the server at once... I felt when I read it that it was related to the lag in GVG. Curious from a tech standpoint.

DeletedUser29075

I was very impressed by your analysis of goods tracking to the treasury, and the oddities that arise when multiple commands hit the server at once... I felt when I read it that it was related to the lag in GVG. Curious from a tech standpoint.

The treasury log window display problem is related to incorrect ordering on data pagination and is therefore completely different issue. The amount of information that gets exchanged with the server during normal game play is not large and I'm sure the server can handle the load. However, I have not analyzed the traffic during GvG and I don't know if the lag is because of insufficient network bandwidth or long latency, or perhaps it's a Flash problem altogether.

DeletedUser25166

Hi,

Stop adding stuff to game to cause memory loss. I get white screen after 2 fights again. Still lose sound after a battle.
But hey I’ll clean my cache again per your constant response on support tickets.
And hey I’ll add a 5th browser and try that.

DeletedUser32389

The treasury log window display problem is related to incorrect ordering on data pagination and is therefore completely different issue. The amount of information that gets exchanged with the server during normal game play is not large and I'm sure the server can handle the load. However, I have not analyzed the traffic during GvG and I don't know if the lag is because of insufficient network bandwidth or long latency, or perhaps it's a Flash problem altogether.

How does one do this kind of analysis? I know it's gonna be in the weeds, and I wouldn't expect you to explain it per se, but maybe you have a web page that I can get started reading? So far people on beta are saying the HTML5 conversion is just as laggy in GVG, but's it's still in beta so it could get better. Like you say, normal demand of data exchanged to the server is low, but I think they become overwhelmed when everyone hops on GVG at 8:04 sharp

DeletedUser32065

Stop adding stuff to game to cause memory loss. Your last update sucked, and I get white screen after 2 fights again.
I totally agree, last weeks update was a very bad. All my game get much more slower and GvG is a pain now...
I use chrome in a computer with 12 GB of RAM, so it used to works fine until last week..
I try today again a fight in GvG and I have to wait a few seconds until the result shows up after I do a auto-battle.. I hope you fix it asap

qaccy

Based on my experience, the infamous GvG lag that most people would refer to has little to nothing to do with server communication. Screen freezes/choppy performance that are common during periods of high GvG activity aren't caused by poor connections. I'm not able to explain it very well but that's the kind of lag that would affect the whole game, and would make your commands take longer to go through, not slow down or freeze your screen. Many people here are mistaking a performance issue for something related to latency, and that's simply not the case. However, we can't really do much about it. The root cause of the problem is events that occur in GvG - each one has the same effect on performance, but when they're occurring rapidly as is the case during periods of high GvG activity, that's when problems start to arise. In a nutshell, the servers are fine and it's the game/code that needs some work.

Regarding performance on beta, HTML5 is still early enough in development that I wouldn't take anything happening with that as 'this is how it's going to be when it leaves beta' just yet. The one thing to be curious about regarding the HTML5 version and GvG is how events are handled. Even if overall performance is poor because the HTML5 client is still being worked on, if GvG events have no visible impact on performance (whereas they do on the Flash version) then it may end up that HTML5 does 'fix' GvG in the end once the client is ready for live release.

@stallion119 By all means, ignore my post above as you tend to do and skip right to the part where you call me an 'Inno stooge' again. I will say though, I experience none of the problems you mentioned so I'll ask: How come my (and surely others') game runs fine and yours doesn't? What could be the reason for that? Of course, you're not the only one who has issues come up either, but since it's not 100% of players in either direction there must be more to it than it simply being the game/Inno's fault.

DeletedUser32389

How come my (and surely others') game runs fine and yours doesn't?
Are you saying you get no GVG lag? I see you play on D, what level are you playing at? I have two members of my guild that are all but immune to GVG lag, and I can't for the life of me find a correlation. You mind telling me what time zone you're in?

DeletedUser29726

Are you saying you get no GVG lag? I see you play on D, what level are you playing at? I have two members of my guild that are all but immune to GVG lag, and I can't for the life of me find a correlation. You mind telling me what time zone you're in?

He's saying the "Lag" is directly related to the quality of your computer, not your internet connection. Upon moving from a 10 y/o rig with no dedicated graphics (because it died and i lived without replacing it as long as i could) to an i5-7400 with a decent graphics card GvG lag vanished mostly (apart from AA where the old loading process for thousands of unattached troops still took a few seconds - the new troop window fixed that though). I suspect it's mostly the CPU upgrade that mattered - the lag is more or less the process of your computer processing every update it gets from the server and those taking non-negligible amounts of time that becomes noticeable when it's happening multiple times per second. It could be that those updates require too much processing (like say it's the entire map being sent and rebuilt from scratch in the flash player), or it could be an inefficient update/redraw process that triggers multiple times per update (start an animation for the hit that caused the update, redraw, change the sector's HP, redraw, update the event log, redraw)

DeletedUser32389

He's saying the "Lag" is directly related to the quality of your computer, not your internet connection.
I'm running a Macbook Air, which I know is not a barn burner by any standard, but I can see the processor load through my activity monitor and my CPU isn't maxing out. It comes and goes without much rhyme or reason, but at it's worst I still lose up to 6 seconds in stutters. That may not sound like a lot but loosing 4 or 5 seconds out of 30 or less has a huge effect on my ability to fight or slip DAs in between sieges

DeletedUser29726

I'm running a Macbook Air, which I know is not a barn burner by any standard, but I can see the processor load through my activity monitor and my CPU isn't maxing out. It comes and goes without much rhyme or reason, but at it's worst I still lose up to 6 seconds in stutters. That may not sound like a lot but loosing 4 or 5 seconds out of 30 or less has a huge effect on my ability to fight or slip DAs in between sieges

Is a core maxing out is the question. Flash isn't parallel processed (and even if it were the game would have to be written to take advantage of it) so it can't use your entire cpu - so if you say have a quadcore running over 25% during the lag you probably ARE maxing out the cpu's ability to run the game.

DeletedUser32389

That's a good point, I was just going to look up multithreading, or specifically how (if) that applies here.
Most games come with a suggestion of what it takes to run them properly, they often have help for people that can't get it to run smooth enough. Maybe I'm just getting old, but I remember when companies offered more support on issues like this.

DeletedUser29726

That's a good point, I was just going to look up multithreading, or specifically how (if) that applies here.
Most games come with a suggestion of what it takes to run them properly, they often have help for people that can't get it to run smooth enough. Maybe I'm just getting old, but I remember when companies offered more support on issues like this.

As a web game the (reasonable) expectation is that FoE should run decently on a low end computer. You're not supposed to need a gaming rig to run web games. As such with web games, there's not really any listed requirements to run it properly beyond a recommended browser maybe. And for most of the game that holds up reasonably well - most players even on very low end computers are able to run everything that's not GvG well enough (especially after the army screen update). GvG is still very poorly optimised and requires more computer power than it reasonably should for a web game - and it's nothing intrinsic to the nature of how it works, just poorly written.

DeletedUser32389

GvG is still very poorly optimised and requires more computer power than it reasonably should for a web game - and it's nothing intrinsic to the nature of how it works, just poorly written.
Not being argumentative, just endlessly curious: Can you link to anything about this?

DeletedUser29726

Nothing official no. Just the similar direct experience you're having on my old computer (if two big guilds are fighting on the map at recalc it's almost unplayable) to the current experience on my computer (what lag?) combined with the feeling my current computer (a low end but legitimate gaming rig that can run current "real" games well on medium to high settings) should not be a requirement to run any web game.

DeletedUser13547

How you connent to the internet plays a big part. The "lag" is amplified when your internet is via satilite for obvious reasons. Running the best rig will not win you more points if you have to send and wait for signals to come back. ( As advised by satilite internet provider)
Battles are won or lost and I am still seeing swords crossed.
Notning I can do unless I move to a big city.