• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

GVG was half dead and now need to compete with the new kid on the block(GBG)

icarusethan

First of all, I decided to come back to the game after one and half years break. Even though the forum deleted my account due to inactive, I'm here again as one of the proud members of plunder representatives in the forum:)
Jokes aside, I was a fan of gvg and still love it. And I like gbg too. But why Inno didn't put the same reward system into gvg when they introduced their new product? From a company perspective ain't that make more sense? People spent diamonds fighting gvg too, why drive them to leave one to another instead of letting them stay on both at the same time. PS: I'm fully aware the amount of GVG player is way lower compared to GBG, but it's still a way to make people spend diamond, right?

RazorbackPirate

But why Inno didn't put the same reward system into gvg when they introduced their new product? From a company perspective ain't that make more sense? People spent diamonds fighting gvg too, why drive them to leave one to another instead of letting them stay on both at the same time. PS: I'm fully aware the amount of GVG player is way lower compared to GBG, but it's still a way to make people spend diamond, right?
To add a reward system to GvG would have required extensive programming. Extensive programming that only 5% of the user base would have ever seen. It's all about ROI. Adding a reward system to GvG would not have increased the number of players, and likely have not increased the number of diamonds spent in GvG.

Why would they invest in something that's dying on the vine being completely inaccessible to the majority of the user base? This is also the reason Inno has made it clear there will be no further changes/enhancements to GvG. They'll leave it unchanged and in the game as long as folks still play it, but when the number drops below whatever number makes sense for Inno to continue to maintain the code, it will disappear.

I don't know what that number is, or when GvG will hit it, but it will at some point, then GvG will be a thing of the past.

Welcome back.

icarusethan

Welcome back.
Thx

To add a reward system to GvG would have required extensive programming. Extensive programming that only 5% of the user base would have ever seen. It's all about ROI. Adding a reward system to GvG would not have increased the number of players, and likely have not increased the number of diamonds spent in GvG.
I don't know what that number is, or when GvG will hit it, but it will at some point, then GvG will be a thing of the past.
Welcome back.
At least from the guild I'm in right now, we encourage people to use pc to play gbg because its tiny bit faster, thus open a door to convince them to do gvg at the same time. Also, just because its a small portion income revenue doesn't mean you should just watch it dry on its own. It could be extra 5% player on GBG and play GVG the same time if they spent time put those coding in is my point

RazorbackPirate

Also, just because its a small portion income revenue doesn't mean you should just watch it dry on its own. It could be extra 5% player on GBG and play GVG the same time if they spent time put those coding in is my point
As we both know, Inno tracks everything in the game and can slice that data 8 ways to Sunday. Had they felt investing in GvG would have increased profits, they would have done so. That they did not means that whatever investment changes would have required, they could not find a return on that investment that made financial sense.

Encourage PC use all you want, but your guild's efforts won't make much difference. Of those in my RL world, I am an aberration that I even own a PC. Most folks I know don't, including my sister 59, my nephew 28, and my niece 26. Their smart phones and iPads more than handle what they need to do online, none of them have any intention to buy a PC anytime soon, if ever. Over half my friends are exactly the same. No PC and no need for one.

No amount of encouragement would get any of them to buy a PC, especially to just play one small aspect of a game that gives them nothing more than bagging rights. For me, even though I've always played on PC, I live in a time zone that makes fighting at recalc inconvenient, so PC or not, I've never played GvG and never will.

While I know there's folks who will be sad/mad when GvG finally goes away, for the vast majority of users, 95% according to Inno, GvG could disappear tomorrow leaving most players completely unaffected and unaware.

It is what is is.

Ricardoso83

MEn, GvG has a lot of strategy, they "only" need to lower the ridiculous "costs" of doing something there, is very expensive anything in GvG....

RazorbackPirate

MEn, GvG has a lot of strategy, they "only" need to lower the ridiculous "costs" of doing something there, is very expensive anything in GvG....
And that overcomes the fact that the majority of FoE players play on mobile, how? That overcomes the issue that 1/20th of the world is asleep or working during recalc, how?

No amount of futzing with the 'cost' or code will make one bit of difference. It will never be ported to mobile, meaning GvG will eventually wither and die for lack of use and interest. No point in rearranging the deck chairs.

Pumbaa the Great

With all the inputs (and not just from this thread) for this feature (GvG), it sounds like they (inno) should get rid of this feature instead of the PvP towers.

wiserpenny

GvG could disappear tomorrow leaving most players completely unaffected and unaware.
Except in the massive change in ranks. Id personally love to see what would happen to ranking if GvG went away. It’d be nuts

i also expect GBG would change.Instead of just being happy to stay 1,000 diamond top guilds may actually care about rank placement. Swap seasons may not be as frequent and real battles may ensue... maybe inno wants that. Maybe not.

True592

I think that speaking only about Inno's net diamonds inflow is a very limited view.
It is a part of the interest of players who pay diams in the other place (even GBG). So, it is a part of package.
Otherwise, it is a thinking of a low-cost airline.

The other thing, I suspect that Inno also collects clicks (not only money). If not, there are too many moves in the game that are hard to explain.

Iggy112

I wonder what the economics of FOE is for Inno these days. Is this a growing profitable business, or a mature profitable business that has kinda leveled off? Is it possibly a shrinking profitable business, and needs to be milked u til dry?

Do they view FOE as primarily a mobile game now with small legacy desktop population?

All these questions would affect how they could evaluate the GvG question (e.g. don’t drop GvG if we lose x% of the players on desktop, just let it run off)

RazorbackPirate

I wonder what the economics of FOE is for Inno these days. Is this a growing profitable business, or a mature profitable business that has kinda leveled off? Is it possibly a shrinking profitable business, and needs to be milked u til dry?

Do they view FOE as primarily a mobile game now with small legacy desktop population?

All these questions would affect how they could evaluate the GvG question (e.g. don’t drop GvG if we lose x% of the players on desktop, just let it run off)
And all the answers to these questions are out there. You might want to start by looking at the press releases on the Innogames website then go from there.

Why is it those who come here prognosticating the imminent demise of the company are the same ones who don't bother to actually research the company?

Johnny B. Goode

What everybody is ignoring (or doesn't know if they're newer) is that the game designer that championed the fighting aspect, which GvG is the epitome of, died a couple of years after the game started. That's why GvG development hasn't progressed in the last several years. It may have a little to do with the shift to mobile, but to ignore the root cause of Inno's lack of interest in developing GvG further leads to silly discussions like this. Bottom line is that after Anwar's passing, no one at Inno cared enough about GvG to do more than the barest maintenance of it.

littlegoat

If you added some love to GvG, maybe more than 5% would play it. Example...in battle grounds, forge points fall from the sky. In GvG...nothing. Maybe make some kind of anything fall from the sky for GvG. GvG really is what keeps long time players excited year after year....

Johnny B. Goode

GvG really is what keeps long time players excited year after year....
Really? You know this better than Inno? With no data except limited anecdotal accounts from the relatively few players you personally are acquainted with? If what you say were true, they would not have basically abandoned it (except for bug fixes) 5+ years ago. For a tiny minority of players, you might be right, but I've been playing 6 years and almost never touch GvG. If GvG were the highlight of this game, I would have been gone back in 2015. FYI: That 5% number was first reported by Inno years ago. It is probably much less now with all the other things to do.