• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Halloween Event 2018 Feedback

Dido 815 the Scourge

There were in fact three of them. The negotiation quests were all optional by choosing to fight instead. So, in effect, there were many folks, myself for one, that never had to spend any goods to negotiate. Of course there were many, such as yourself, who had to negotiate a little, a lot, or even entirely. Either way, it all balances out one way or another.

Some quests will be harder for some than others. That's pretty much the nature of the beast when you're not giving things away for free. Newer players will always be further behind in development than older ones and those new to an era will struggle more than those who have been there for awhile. You can't make it too easy just to satisfy those who may struggle... what would be the point to everyone else?

To be clearer, there were FAR more negotiate/fight portions of the event quests than there were goods collection portions of the event quests. That was my primary call out.

Remember, many if not most of the quests had multiple requirements. Out of 50+ multitask quests, to only have 3 of them (as you say) include goods collection tasks seems highly disproportionate when looking at the big picture.

Again, I’m not disagreeing with your comments. I’m just clarifying mine in light of the info you provided.

Salsuero

as you say

LOL -- not "as you say" -- just go back and read the list. It's not that hard. You present that as if it's my word against yours. LMFAO

https://forgeofempires.wikia.com/wiki/2018_Halloween_Event#Questline

when looking at the big picture.

If you were looking at the big picture, you wouldn't consider a quest that lasts a few weeks to be a big picture. Long-term, things balance out. We never had negotiate or fight before recently, but we've always had collect goods quests. Most people collect goods regularly, so having a quest that requires it is sort of "easy" compared to negotiations and fights. That's where the challenge is more the point. You want "easy" and I already made my point about that.

I’m not disagreeing with your comments.

You are disagreeing if you think they are disproportionate according to a "big picture". You think there should be an equal amount of collect goods quests compared to negotiate/fight quests. That's fine. You can have that opinion. But I disagree with you. I think gathering goods is super simple and the quests should at least offer something different and a bit challenging to the equation.

Salsuero

I am beginning my 10th month of play

When you're on your 5 years and 10 months of play, you might think differently about:
it sure does seem to take a long time

the quests themselves seem inordinately difficult to obtain a "piece" of something. Why make them so difficult? It shouldn't be a cake-walk but some of these are the ones that have 6 to 10 different things to do and some of them are just an "open and shut case" of "can't do that."

They aren't quests. They are challenges. And so, the point of them is not to be easy for everyone. Otherwise, they wouldn't be called Daily Challenges... they'd be called Daily Giveaways.

Fighting on the campaign map, for instance! How many people out there are NOT ahead on their maps and can barely hold their own much less fight?

That's a choice. The game (vis-a-vis the developers) is attempting to push you along the tech tree. You can choose to advance on the continental map at a faster pace than the tech tree, but that is not the preference of the game. All decisions have rewards AND consequences. You've chosen your path. The game would like you to take a different path.

and the graveyard? YAWN Even had I participated in this event before I would NEVER build something so huge for nothing but happy points! Just when it seems like Inno is getting the idea that smaller is better with the shrink kits they start coming up with kits to make things BIGGER??? Huh?? lol

You've been playing for 10 months. Do you know the history of the Graveyard? How can you make such a statement without even having played the last Halloween event, let alone the one several years ago... when upgrading was STILL a thing back then? This is a silly, noob statement.

My biggest beef with the event was that somewhere in the 2/3 of the way through range--sure enough, here comes the diamond special (2 days AFTER I buy the largest package because of a higher % of diamonds special) and IT has the extra bldgs I want: the mad scientist and that darned Black Tower! Argh! WHY couldn't we get credit for that if we'd just made a diamond purchase

Because Inno would like to, and more importantly NEEDS to make money to continue to fund the ongoing operation and future development of this game. Diamond sales are a major component to generating those funds. As a newcomer to the game and events specifically, you now know that it might benefit you to wait on those diamonds until a big sale hits. Lesson learned, I think.

more importantly why couldn't we EARN those through the questline?

We did... last year. They introduce a few new things, reintroduce (and even revamp in some cases) a few old things, and remove a few things just to offer them as pay-to-play rewards. This is nothing new. For the last couple years, I couldn't get a Mad Scientists Lab without a Diamond purchase. I refrained. I hoped it would eventually come back as a quest reward. And my patience was rewarded this year. That's how this game works.

Last edited:

RazorbackPirate

LOL -- not "as you say" -- just go back and read the list. It's not that hard. You present that as if it's my word against yours. LMFAO
LMFAO indeed. "As you say." "As you said." "As you have already mentioned." Sounds like agreement to me, but ok, whatever.
If you were looking at the big picture, you wouldn't consider a quest that lasts a few weeks to be a big picture.
If you understood the English language, you would understand that "when looking at the big picture." In context means "taking the event in it's entirety."
You are disagreeing if you think they are disproportionate according to a "big picture".
While you're disagreeing with something that wasn't even said.
You think there should be an equal amount of collect goods quests compared to negotiate/fight quests. That's fine. You can have that opinion. But I disagree with you. I think gathering goods is super simple and the quests should at least offer something different and a bit challenging to the equation.
Gathering goods is super simple for some, but you've been on this forum enough to know how much of a challenge gathering goods, especially in high amounts is a challenge for many people.

DeletedUser34800

That's a choice. The game (vis-a-vis the developers) is attempting to push you along the tech tree. You can choose to advance on the continental map at a faster pace than the tech tree, but that is not the preference of the game. All decisions have rewards AND consequences. You've chosen your path. The game would like you to take a different path.

I, for example, am quite far ahead on the C-Map. 3 ages above. I got my advanced age troops though, to defend my city, just like I wanted. But, now I have to be careful about any quest that asks me to acquire any sectors. Gotta make sure it's worth it. Or, if it offers and alternative (they don't always), I do that.

I made my choice though, and I play my game around it. Can't blame the developers for my choice, and certainly won't whine on the forums about it.

Salsuero

LMFAO indeed. "As you say." "As you said." "As you have already mentioned." Sounds like agreement to me, but ok, whatever.

If you understood the English language, you would understand that "when looking at the big picture." In context means "taking the event in it's entirety."

Really? LOL -- ok. You know exactly why you add "as you say" to a statement, but whatever... you claim to have better mastery over the English language... that's arguable. The big picture considering quests... right. There's a big picture there? One quest and we're already forgetting ALL other quests and how they have operated?

Gathering goods is super simple for some, but you've been on this forum enough to know how much of a challenge gathering goods, especially in high amounts is a challenge for many people.

And the quests shouldn't be easy for the sake of being easy. I think I've stated this before. We don't gather them in high amounts in the quests. Do you really have a problem with what we're being asked to do? Really? His point had nothing to do with that. His point was that he wanted MORE of them... or at least less of the others to make them relatively "on balance". Perhaps your English is the rusty one.

RazorbackPirate

Really? LOL -- ok. You know exactly why you add "as you say" to a statement, but whatever... you claim to have better mastery over the English language... that's arguable.
Now I know exactly why YOU would add it to a statement. Funny how my interpretation about what was said is completely different than yours. As we know, this is not the first time you've confused agreement with disagreement.
The big picture considering quests... right. There's a big picture there? One quest and we're already forgetting ALL other quests and how they have operated?
The 'big picture' considering this EVENT in it's entirety. After all, you were counting number of fight/negotiate tasks vs. the gather goods tasks in this EVENT weren't you? Are you intentionally this dense for effect, or are you typing while intoxicated?
And the quests shouldn't be easy for the sake of being easy. I think I've stated this before. We don't gather them in high amounts in the quests. Do you really have a problem with what we're being asked to do? Really?
I don't have a problem. I finished the event in 4 days. Not sure what that has to do with anything.
His point had nothing to do with that. His point was that he wanted MORE of them... or at least less of the others to make them relatively "on balance". Perhaps your English is the rusty one.
I understand exactly what his point was. I also understand that stating his opinion that he'd like the mix to be more balanced is not the same as asking for Inno to make the tasks or event easier.

But hey, you want to argue against stuff that's not there again, you go ahead.

Salsuero

you were counting number of fight/negotiate tasks

Actually, I never counted those. You appear to not read what I write.

I understand exactly what his point was. I also understand that stating his opinion that he'd like the mix to be more balanced is not the same as asking for Inno to make the tasks or event easier.

In my opinion, that's exactly what he's asking for. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. Or do you think I'm agreeing with you? I can't keep up with your version of how the English language is interpreted.

But hey, you want to argue against stuff that's not there again, you go ahead.

Thanks for your approval.

Salsuero

Isn't that what inno means ? The challenges are actually actuators...no?

They are apparently quite challenging for more than a handful of people as is shown by the many posts in the forums stating as much.

You're supposed to complete the challenge and get the prize ONLY at the expense of achieving an objective....whatever that may be

Yes, but you have to actually DO something to get that prize... not just show up and receive a free gift for doing nothing -- aka a giveaway.

I'm surprised DC is not used as an OR in events

Not sure what you mean there.

I myself never use the DC option of the game just as i do not GvG but it's nice knowing they're out there.... I'm sorry , i used to use GvG for additional battle points to win a PvP tournament a very long time ago

Not sure how GvG factors into an exclusivity with the Daily Challenges. In my opinion they are barely related unless it's only to complete a certain number of "generic" fights (meaning not specific to GE). I don't really see how ANY of the other challenges have much to do with GvG, if anything at all.

RazorbackPirate

Not sure how GvG factors into an exclusivity with the Daily Challenges. In my opinion they are barely related unless it's only to complete a certain number of "generic" fights (meaning not specific to GE). I don't really see how ANY of the other challenges have much to do with GvG, if anything at all.
He used GvG as another example of an optional part of the game, like DC, he doesn't do. Not sure why that was difficult for you to understand.
I myself never use the DC option of the game just as I do not GvG, but it's nice knowing they're out there.
Seems clear to me.
I'm surprised DC is not used as an OR in events
As in, 'Complete 5 negotiations in GE' OR 'Complete the Daily Challenge', kind of like 'Defeat this large army' OR 'Solve this complex negotiation'.

DeletedUser24719

Technically there are no quests in this game and so called challenges are nothing more then then same. They are all tasks!! Now INNO can define them anyway they choose but that doesn't change the facts!!

RazorbackPirate

Technically there are no quests in this game and so called challenges are nothing more then then same. They are all tasks!! Now INNO can define them anyway they choose but that doesn't change the facts!!
Quests / Challenges / Tasks, and that makes a difference how?

DeletedUser31882

Quests / Challenges / Tasks, and that makes a difference how?

Eh, Semantics. To be fair to part of their point, people do implicitly argue Challenges should be > Quests/Tasks.

So one could argue there is No difference between Quests / Challenges / Tasks / ETC. Which I think is the argument they haven't bothered to further other than the assertion.

I agree with that specific implicit argument that I assuming they are making... but I just wanted to do a drive-by pedantic & semantic argument because I have an itch they won't make it.

With that, I'll remove my Horse (which happens to a high one) from this race and ride off somewhere.

More On-Topic-ish:

Still disappointed that my Dark Doorway doesn't send a unique city denizen into my city. Here's hoping that Cultural settlements may add some of that back to the game. I wouldn't be surprised if that addition is abandoned though.

Oh well, I'm 150 diamonds & +3 daily FP richer. Winter event is coming and will probably be as lucrative as last year for me!

Kranyar the Mysterious

Still disappointed that my Dark Doorway doesn't send a unique city denizen into my city. Here's hoping that Cultural settlements may add some of that back to the game. I wouldn't be surprised if that addition is abandoned though.

So far we have only gotten unique denizen's from Historical Events, so I wasn't expecting one here. What would have been nice is if it had had an animation equivalent to the one that came with the Dark Tower (when it worked).

I agree that having some Vikings roaming your city (with additional different ones added each time you finish the settlement) would be fun! After there are lots of settlements available to play you could end up with an extremely multi-cultural crowd.