• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[FAQ] Help, I am being plundered!

• Thread starter DeletedUser8152
  • Start date

DeletedUser

As someone who agrees that violent video games normalize violence and thus should be used/viewed with caution, especially with young impressible children, I get very frustrated when people use said correlation studies to say "Violent video games cause violence". That is untrue and unscientific.
I agree with this wholeheartedly. And on top of that, who considers this a violent video game?!? Anyone who considers this a violent video game is in for a rude awakening if they ever actually see one of those. :eek:

Nighthawk28

What I don't agree with is that a player with 7 million plus points can attack and plunder me. I have 402K points on one world and they have to plunder one of my houses. Really?? Are they in desparate need of 1,056 coins?? I know that attacking is part of the game, for battle points...but really?? They absolutely have to take something??

DeletedUser28670

What I don't agree with is that a player with 7 million plus points can attack and plunder me. I have 402K points on one world and they have to plunder one of my houses. Really?? Are they in desparate need of 1,056 coins?? I know that attacking is part of the game, for battle points...but really?? They absolutely have to take something??
The guy with 7 million plus points I assume is a camper. That's their choice and you can make it as well.
If someone breaks your defence, yes, I believe they are entitled to 1,056 coins. You're lucky they're not stealing your precious Forge Points.
There should not be anything good to plunder if you have a good friends list and second, why are you complaining about someone taking just 1k coins? That's nothing at all.

DeletedUser12620

Yes, yes they do

Nighthawk28

The guy with 7 million plus points I assume is a camper. That's their choice and you can make it as well.
If someone breaks your defence, yes, I believe they are entitled to 1,056 coins. You're lucky they're not stealing your precious Forge Points.
There should not be anything good to plunder if you have a good friends list and second, why are you complaining about someone taking just 1k coins? That's nothing at all.
I am not complaining about it, I am just saying that with 7 mil points, you don't need to plunder...

mamboking053

*facepalm*

As someone who agrees that violent video games normalize violence and thus should be used/viewed with caution, especially with young impressible children, I get very frustrated when people use said correlation studies to say "Violent video games cause violence". That is untrue and unscientific. There are many more variables in play than 'I play 10 Hours of Call of Duty & Doom every week'. Parenting, Cultural norms, community, social economic status are just a few confounding variables to the 'Violent video games cause workplace violence & school shootings'. If you actually care about the issue, please do some more research into the topic. Don't fall into the 'Won't someone, please, Think of the children!' bandwagon.

Sorry to hear you don't like being pillaged. You could ask for advice instead of complaining about reading. Especially when the OP has 90% of the information you need to get started.

If that doesn't work, try Elvenar out.

I don't think you can claim for that to be untrue or unscientific. Rather, you don't agree with it. The official testimony from supposed experts is that there is no solid proof on the matter, but we have seen this said about many other things in the past that have not only been wrong, but clearly influenced by industry pressure or corruption. Like the link between cigarettes and cancer- among other things. Like some forms of food that we eat.

If anything, I would disagree more with a person who comes to a game called "Forge of Empires" and complains about being attacked. That's a head-scratcher.

DeletedUser30900

I am not complaining about it, I am just saying that with 7 mil points, you don't need to plunder...
That’s a wrongest statement in this game :) well, other than it’s good to have ND and Col in you city. Or having both capital and Tob in a hma city as a camper:p

mamboking053

It's not that he needs to, he wants to, and it's a part of the game. It would be unfair if there was no counter-play to this, but there is. Collect your stuff. Very simple. At that point, it does not matter if he has a trillion points. He can crush your defense than leave empty-handed and you can laugh about it over breakfast if you even care.

Nighthawk28

I'll say it again..... "I am not complaining about it, I am just saying that with 7 mil points, you don't need to plunder..."
Ok, whatever, not watching this thread anymore

mamboking053

I'll say it again..... "I am not complaining about it, I am just saying that with 7 mil points, you don't need to plunder..."

Do you play games like "Skyrim"? Have you ever been level 80 and attacked a bandit? Maybe you don't even think about it. It's just a force of habit at that point. You didn't need to. Chances are the bandit had nothing you needed, if they had anything at all. But attacking is just a part of the game.

I think you should rephrase your argument, maybe. For me, I would complain that while "unfair" would be strange word to use, it's certainly not going to help recruit people to the game when you can be attacked by someone who you have no hope of counterattacking. There's no skill in that, just take it till one day- perhaps a year from now- you can contend. At the moment I see this game more as a digital plant I come to a few times a day to water. It's a game of patience. A lot...of...patience. It IS boring, for the most part, but I kinda like it nonetheless. It's long term strategy.

DeletedUser

Say it however many times you want to. Won't make it true. You are most definitely complaining.

"com·plain
kəmˈplān/
verb
1. express dissatisfaction or annoyance about a state of affairs or an event."

Snarko

You're absolutely correct. You don't need to plunder at that point. Especially not some paltry coins.
Wanting to plunder because you enjoy it, that's another matter entirely and does not in any way depend on your points. In fact that player may have gained 7 mil points in their attempt to camp until they can plunder absolutely everyone. Not because they need to plunder but because they enjoy it.

The only problem I have with plunders is that I don't think Inno adequately inform people of how it works and the inevitability of it.

Agent327

Why not?

It is part of the game.

DeletedUser31882

I don't think you can claim for that to be untrue or unscientific. Rather, you don't agree with it. The official testimony from supposed experts is that there is no solid proof on the matter, but we have seen this said about many other things in the past that have not only been wrong, but clearly influenced by industry pressure or corruption. Like the link between cigarettes and cancer- among other things. Like some forms of food that we eat.

Good catch, it was a bit unscientific of me to declare an absolute. To put up a token defense of my stance, the untrue/unscientific was directed at the specific claim that 'video games cause violence, as current evidence shows us' that the other person appeared to be making. From my current understanding of the research & debate, there is correlation evidence of increased aggressive behavior from individuals who play violent, or more usually, highly competitive games. The question is if violent video games (objective definition needed) is the prime cause of an individual performing violence.

In my opinion; It is a 'safe' claim that video games do not cause violence, unless you are playing video games that injects you directly with some sort of steroid or 28 days later disease. At best, scientists will be able to show how the normalization of repetitive violent behaviors (or any behavior, really) will increase the likelihood that someone will act (or react) in a violent manner due to a shift in their brain chemistry. That shouldn't lead to any specific regulations on games, but hopefully will result in better health care for mental health issues. The claim of Columbine or other such tragedies being caused by a music genre or a video game is absurd, but I also find the claim that video games have zero effect on violent outbursts to be equally absurd. On the plus side, nobody is promoting video games (especially violent ones) as something 'healthy and cool' like cigarettes were, except maybe frat houses.

So yes, I don't agree with their argument, but I have enough training and knowledge that I can confidentially say that we should not worry that violent video games cause violence on the same level that cigarettes cause cancer, eggs may or may not be good for your cholesterol or how soy beans will destroy the patriarchy(That last one is satire, for the record). We already have a rating system that helps consumers make an informed decision on their purchases, so I'm not sure what else can be done other than promoting education and critical thinking.

To be fair, I can see how plundering can normalize the mentality to 'take others things and justify it' and I have enjoyed debating with fellow forum goers on the subject. I can also see how being plundered can create stress for a player. I don't think plundering causes the 'violent' outbursts we see on the forums, I believe it is the lack of a players ability to cope with the plundering system that leads them to stress, which leads to an outburst. Outbursts are met with ridicule, which is stressful, triggers a defensive response and the cycle continues.

*Looks at the length of the screed written this time* Well, that was a lot of unpacking.

@nighthawk28 Sorry to hear your residential got pillaged. Think of them like kleptomaniacs, the need to pillage is pathological!

Queen53

I understand about being attracted and plundered. One of my cities had 15 or more attacking at different times of the day. Could not make anything. I would set it for something they may not what. The question I have is about two great buildings : Cathedral of St Basil and
Deal Castle that are for defense. I have put them down leveled them but they seem to be no good for defense. Am I correct in thinking I have wasted my time with these buildings?

DeletedUser29404

I understand about being attracted and plundered. One of my cities had 15 or more attacking at different times of the day. Could not make anything. I would set it for something they may not what. The question I have is about two great buildings : Cathedral of St Basil and
Deal Castle that are for defense. I have put them down leveled them but they seem to be no good for defense. Am I correct in thinking I have wasted my time with these buildings?
No. Work on leveling them as high as possible. When both are level 10 or higher, coupled with other items, they add significantly to your overall city defense.

Queen53

Thanks for your reply. I am already pass 10. I have 5 cities with some of these GBs at level 13. I have looked at the stats when watching a playback. I sometimes work on ones I feel are good for offense. I have other things down that help. I just seems the best way is putting up the shield on the tavern. I think a lot of players do this. Again thanks I will work on them.

DeletedUser29404

Thanks for your reply. I am already pass 10. I have 5 cities with some of these GBs at level 13. I have looked at the stats when watching a playback. I sometimes work on ones I feel are good for offense. I have other things down that help. I just seems the best way is putting up the shield on the tavern. I think a lot of players do this. Again thanks I will work on them.
Odd as I dont see as many City Shields as is possible. The Best defense for serial plunderers (such as myself) is to collect your city on time. I reccommend using 24hour productions. Very little room for plunderers to "get lucky." Use the best units available and hope the returnees get tired of losing 1 or 2 units (Rouges) for what basically amounts to nothing. Pack defensive abilities. As many Rituals and Watchfires as possible coupled with high level GBs.

Graviton

Don't give up on the threads or the forum, there's lots of good info here. Most of the replies you've received are colored by the fact that, your denials that you're not complaining aside, many new players register complaints about being plundered. We've seen it too many times before, that's all. In fact one of my first posts on this forum was a whiny complaint (not that yours is). You just have to adjust your perspective, that's all.

As far as needing to plunder...nobody needs to plunder. But then nobody needs to play FoE to begin with.

DeletedUser

You should also place any Watchfires and/or Ritual Flames you can fit into unused space in your city.