• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Guide] Higher Age Units Guide v2.20

KeenWise

Am scouting the second of three PE provinces. :)
Which gives me time to think... :|
About the future of higher age units fighting. :(

Just as I am the verge of accomplishing what had been impossible for me in FoE :) (thanks Ube!) I have noticed that the PVP tourney has gone from being like GBG, where rogues plus one higher age troop can be very effective, to being the same as the campaign map, where lower age troops will concentrate fire on any available higher age troop ignoring rogues.

I have 97000 PVP points on the world I play for higher age troops. I got most of those points using advanced troops with rogues. But today I spent over 600 diamonds on resuscitating troops -- once for an ill-timed autobattle, and once because the lower age troops decimated my rogues (young world, so still a low level traz), and nearly killed off my jaeger too.

my plan to park in CA for a while might be in jeopardy. i might have to forge on for hovers, but just give up on pvp for all the goods, troops, fps, it had given me so far. and even hovers can be beaten... will i want to spend that many extra diamonds? and if Inno decides to balls-up gbg the same way? hence the upside down smile. :(

xivarmy

Am scouting the second of three PE provinces. :)
Which gives me time to think... :|
About the future of higher age units fighting. :(

Just as I am the verge of accomplishing what had been impossible for me in FoE :) (thanks Ube!) I have noticed that the PVP tourney has gone from being like GBG, where rogues plus one higher age troop can be very effective, to being the same as the campaign map, where lower age troops will concentrate fire on any available higher age troop ignoring rogues.

I have 97000 PVP points on the world I play for higher age troops. I got most of those points using advanced troops with rogues. But today I spent over 600 diamonds on resuscitating troops -- once for an ill-timed autobattle, and once because the lower age troops decimated my rogues (young world, so still a low level traz), and nearly killed off my jaeger too.

my plan to park in CA for a while might be in jeopardy. i might have to forge on for hovers, but just give up on pvp for all the goods, troops, fps, it had given me so far. and even hovers can be beaten... will i want to spend that many extra diamonds? and if Inno decides to balls-up gbg the same way? hence the upside down smile. :(

PvP Arena has always focused on whatever's closest instead of rogues - it's just in very low ages rogues are somewhat fast I guess so sometimes it still works out? Either way, 1-2 + rogues is not the normal way in Arena.

But... Once you get hovers, it goes back to mostly turning rogues on you again - since they can't see the hover without getting closer, they tend to turn all the rogues instead. The exception being if they have things like railguns in the defense you're trying to beat up.

KeenWise

PvP Arena has always focused on whatever's closest instead of rogues - it's just in very low ages rogues are somewhat fast I guess so sometimes it still works out? Either way, 1-2 + rogues is not the normal way in Arena.

But... Once you get hovers, it goes back to mostly turning rogues on you again - since they can't see the hover without getting closer, they tend to turn all the rogues instead. The exception being if they have things like railguns in the defense you're trying to beat up.
Are you sure? My other worlds where I PVP are SAV and FE. In FE I have never had a problem using rogues with hovers on the highest battles, usually against higher ages. But they are hovers.

But I have one world with this quest for higher age troops, and I have been PVP'ing there since October. The change for me has been dramatic. And it occurred while I had been in CA for some time. Using rogues suddenly lost all value to me. And there is really no other way to explain how I accumulated 97k points in under two months when my city has been so rogue reliant, no way other than that my rogues were not being ignored earlier but are now.

[edit: unless... maybe all my opponents suddenly were exclusively people who had spent the max on diamonds and other upgrades, meaning that the defenses I faced were what has suddenly changed. but that would have to be a dramatic and across-the-board change, so much so that CA troops i had been facing off against before friday went from not scratching my units to decimating them. i guess that is within the wide world of possibility, but i have experienced this issue against all pvp opponents, new ones and old alike]

Last edited:
small note on getting PME troops in InA. Not sure why, but I never got the "the Road is clear" quest.
Right after I completed Schledorf, but before collecting it, I collected my 2 RQs.
That got me a “Secrete Knowledge” side Quest, which I completed for medium FP pack and a BP.
Then collected on "defeat Schledorf," and went straight to "Defeat Kaiser JF"

xivarmy

Are you sure? My other worlds where I PVP are SAV and FE. In FE I have never had a problem using rogues with hovers on the highest battles, usually against higher ages. But they are hovers.

But I have one world with this quest for higher age troops, and I have been PVP'ing there since October. The change for me has been dramatic. And it occurred while I had been in CA for some time. Using rogues suddenly lost all value to me. And there is really no other way to explain how I accumulated 97k points in under two months when my city has been so rogue reliant, no way other than that my rogues were not being ignored earlier but are now.

[edit: unless... maybe all my opponents suddenly were exclusively people who had spent the max on diamonds and other upgrades, meaning that the defenses I faced were what has suddenly changed. but that would have to be a dramatic and across-the-board change, so much so that CA troops i had been facing off against before friday went from not scratching my units to decimating them. i guess that is within the wide world of possibility, but i have experienced this issue against all pvp opponents, new ones and old alike]

It's been like that from the start. Sometimes rogues work out if you're way ahead in stats or by luck, but they're not the best option usually except in very low ages (and there, not against artillery). SAV it's usually either 8 energy cannons or 8 power dragons - and sometimes when I forget that and use armies like 4 power dragons + 4 rogues that I would use elsewhere, I lose there unexpectedly and go "crap, Arena, right".

PvP Arena from the start has basically behaved like continent map AI rather than the GBG/GE/Hood Combat AI.

Hovers would be an exception that should work save for a few pesky units because of stealth (which the rogues don't share and therefore they *usually* wind up targeted first)

KeenWise

It's been like that from the start. Sometimes rogues work out if you're way ahead in stats or by luck, but they're not the best option usually except in very low ages (and there, not against artillery). SAV it's usually either 8 energy cannons or 8 power dragons - and sometimes when I forget that and use armies like 4 power dragons + 4 rogues that I would use elsewhere, I lose there unexpectedly and go "crap, Arena, right".

PvP Arena from the start has basically behaved like continent map AI rather than the GBG/GE/Hood Combat AI.

Hovers would be an exception that should work save for a few pesky units because of stealth (which the rogues don't share and therefore they *usually* wind up targeted first)
Well good news for me is that I used medals to get the fights I could win. Claimed my crystal, and will probably just do bare minimum each week till I get hovers. But I think today confirms the Tank choice for me in CA. I had been thinking of taking advantage of the conscript close combat against CA fast and light. But if I can only use that in GBG, then I think I am better off with the Tank's 60-base defense. Should save me diamonds except against all artillery or all range.

Question for Uber, does the Story Quest relate directly to the FE Map progress?
If so, could a player that moved the SQ to the FE map halt on quests but advance on the Map to skip certain SQs? If so, players could potentially skip certain quests requiring 1 tech research i.e. Even More Cyber Attacks, and or Down the Rabbit Hole, iffy on this last one even for this wild possibility.

UBERhelp1

Question for Uber, does the Story Quest relate directly to the FE Map progress?
If so, could a player that moved the SQ to the FE map halt on quests but advance on the Map to skip certain SQs? If so, players could potentially skip certain quests requiring 1 tech research i.e. Even More Cyber Attacks, and or Down the Rabbit Hole, iffy on this last one even for this wild possibility.
The story quests use your progress on the campaign map to figure out where in the story you are, but unless you reach certain points it's unlikely you'll skip ahead. For example, the CE story will skip ahead if you are already on a higher map. I don't know if you'd be able to make such a short jump in the same age's story.

classick59

So I have Ocean age troops in indy. I use them for defense in pvp and base. I use hovers solely for attacking with one exception. Level 4 GE I do have to send it to the corner or I have to skip it from advancing prior to sending the rogues. The Howitzers ignore stealth so they sometimes get a hit in on it. Auto Pvp isn't a problem as I am able to overcome the next few ages up.
217/384% Att
25/113% Def

KeenWise

I am not classick yet ;) (no envy, no envy, no envy, lol) but as of a few moments ago, i am a colonial tank driver, lol.

rumble rumble, make those colonials crumble ;)

can't get anything else till I go to Indy, huh?

can't get anything else till I go to Indy, huh?
Yep, the furthest PE quest that will block you is The Peace Conference; need police stations (InA Cultural Building)

If you have enough techs saved up, you can ignore the next few lines
I recommend that you go to Indy during winter event, that way you can get the police stations via events; can't get them from InA GE.
Doing this could save you a whopping 7 techs, not counting the Worker's Houses tech line; you'll need the decoration that tech offers later.

Hey Uber, someone on the wiki made a suggestion (a while back) as how the AF SQ fight/negotiate paths function.

He said, "Wether it is war path or peace path depends on the very last "Acquire province(s)" quest (the very last ONE quest) ONLY and has nothing to do with your historical actions (whether you fought or nego in the past)." -BewilderedZeratul 10/28/2020

What are your thoughts about this? I might test it out when I get to AF map; currently on FE map.

KeenWise

Yep, the furthest PE quest that will block you is The Peace Conference; need police stations (InA Cultural Building)

If you have enough techs saved up, you can ignore the next few lines
I recommend that you go to Indy during winter event, that way you can get the police stations via events; can't get them from InA GE.
Doing this could save you a whopping 7 techs, not counting the Worker's Houses tech line; you'll need the decoration that tech offers later.
i feel like i have a bajillion techs saved... :) but i should count. right now i am enjoying tanks so much in CA!! rumble rumble, watch the colonials crumble. :) that would be the only thing to keep me in CA. i might wait till i get to sleighs or another great daily though.

thanks for the police station tip! if not winter then by forge bowl for sure i will find hovers too cool to resist.

UBERhelp1

Hey Uber, someone on the wiki made a suggestion (a while back) as how the AF SQ fight/negotiate paths function.

He said, "Wether it is war path or peace path depends on the very last "Acquire province(s)" quest (the very last ONE quest) ONLY and has nothing to do with your historical actions (whether you fought or nego in the past)." -BewilderedZeratul 10/28/2020

What are your thoughts about this? I might test it out when I get to AF map; currently on FE map.
It's possible. If you want to try it out you could.

The story quests use your progress on the campaign map to figure out where in the story you are, but unless you reach certain points it's unlikely you'll skip ahead. For example, the CE story will skip ahead if you are already on a higher map. I don't know if you'd be able to make such a short jump in the same age's story.

So, I tried jumping ahead anyway (advancing on cMap but not SQ) and it led to mixed results. On one hand I skipped More Cyber Attacks (Research 1) but got Down the Rabbit Hole (research 1 alternate). If I were to try making a jump again, I would capture Jak & Pala. Then Scout Kolaburg, and start the SQs again. If this worked out nicely, I might skip More Cyber Attack~ 1 less research. :cool:

In summary, I still need to research the same # of techs for FE map :(

By the way I missed the Truth or Dare trick, so I'm in PME fully researched and need 1 Research for the "Investigations" SQ.

After taking the first FE province, you can finish the PME story. Then, follow the story through the CE storyline. It will ask you to scout one of the CE provinces that you skipped (scout it once it asks you to) ...The CE story will need 1 tech to be researched.

Got tripped up by the SQ "Madman's Mayhem" from CE; didn't know I needed 3 techs for Hovers :eek:

Last edited:

UBERhelp1

So, I tried jumping ahead anyway (advancing on cMap but not SQ) and it led to mixed results. On one hand I skipped More Cyber Attacks (Research 1) but got Down the Rabbit Hole (research 1 alternate). If I were to try making a jump again, I would capture Jak & Pala. Then Scout Kolaburg, and start the SQs again. If this worked out nicely, I might skip More Cyber Attack~ 1 less research. :cool:

In summary, I still need to research the same # of techs for FE map :(

By the way I missed the Truth or Dare trick, so I'm in PME fully researched and need 1 Research for the "Investigations" SQ.

Got tripped up by the SQ "Madman's Mayhem" form CE; didn't know I needed 3 techs for Hovers :eek:
Looks like that might actually work then! Thanks for testing it!!

UBERhelp1

What are the Odds that someone, like Fluffy Pheonix, is able to skip the SQs of BA-CA, InA & ME simply by moving the scout to a Higher era MAP?
My guess is a low possibility, but that's why we have people trying. And technically, we only need to be able to skip past the PE story.