• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Guide] Higher Age Units Guide v2.20

FluffyPhoenix

All righty. I made it to the Indy boat. Here's a really crusty zoom out of everything that I skipped. I basically just went for the most expensive scout every time, which seemed to have worked pretty well.
Still working on getting a CF for coins. All my aiding and I got a bloody Traz print instead.

Attachments

• Skip it all.png
    Skip it all.png
    912.3 KB · Views: 23

UBERhelp1

All righty. I made it to the Indy boat. Here's a really crusty zoom out of everything that I skipped. I basically just went for the most expensive scout every time, which seemed to have worked pretty well.
Still working on getting a CF for coins. All my aiding and I got a bloody Traz print instead.
That is one crunchy screenshot! Looks good though, I don't think you could have skipped much else except the one IA province with the expansion. Good luck with InA as everything starts to slow down more and more while also getting crazy pricy

KeenWise

Quick update -- have taken Okahe by negotiations. Now, to avoid Las Penas as much as possible, I should turn North, which also means fighting those provinces...

Hmmm. I can't tell if I have messed up the chance at Progressive troops in CA. I negged Okahe, but I have been fighting the northern provinces... and I am getting Indy troops... About to get a Howitzer in the Bitter Defeat Story Quest...

And I still have both RQ's... which is a good thing, right? As long as the Indy troops I get are only from the Story Quests, then I can keep going?

The quests that require specific tech types have been the ones that force me to do additional techs just to unlock the "right" one. So after getting the Howitzer, I have to do a res tech, of which I have two saved up in earlier ages. But just to get to a production tech, I had to complete an additional CA tech... did not have any of prod-techs saved up, and not sure I could complete those ages without the prod techs in those ages. So it's not just the number of techs saved up... Have to keep an eye on which kinds I have left... Want to go for tanks :)

Last edited:

UBERhelp1

Hmmm. I can't tell if I have messed up the chance at Progressive troops in CA. I negged Okahe, but I have been fighting the northern provinces... and I am getting Indy troops... About to get a Howitzer in the Bitter Defeat Story Quest...

And I still have both RQ's... which is a good thing, right? As long as the Indy troops I get are only from the Story Quests, then I can keep going?
To get PE troops in CA, you can honestly go through the InA map however you want. The only thing is that if you trigger the bonus questline, you'll permanently lose an RQ slot until you move up to InA.

KeenWise

To get PE troops in CA, you can honestly go through the InA map however you want. The only thing is that if you trigger the bonus questline, you'll permanently lose an RQ slot until you move up to InA.

Okay that's a relief, thank you. :) The RQ's have been very helpful. No CF to multiply those rewards, but have gotten a lot of goods and fp packs (which don't get multiplied anyway).

KeenWise

So the quest that follows Bitter Defeat is March Out -- that one requires me to take Las Penas. I know I have been avoiding Las Penas... But I have to take Las Penas at some point, right? To get to the Progressive map?

Hmmm. I wonder if I have enough of the right techs left to get tanks in CA. Am thinking tanks in CA might be worth a pause to build up resources... And if I can't get the tanks for lack of resources, then wondering whether a different progressive unit in CA would be as good for me... Once I end up in Indy, I think I would just keep going till I get to Hovers.

For Bitter Defeat's prod tech, I will complete Plantations (CA). Then comes March Out, then New Lands New Dangers which requires yet another prod tech. So that one quest will require four CA techs: Trading Charters, Country Houses (satisfies the res tech req, but I had one saved in earlier age...), Imperialism, and then the Prod tech clockmaking.

That will leave me four CA techs at the end of the tree...

Last edited:

UBERhelp1

So the quest that follows Bitter Defeat is March Out -- that one requires me to take Las Penas. I know I have been avoiding Las Penas... But I have to take Las Penas at some point, right? To get to the Progressive map?

Hmmm. I wonder if I have enough of the right techs left to get tanks in CA. Am thinking tanks in CA might be worth a pause to build up resources... And if I can't get the tanks for lack of resources, then wondering whether a different progressive unit in CA would be as good for me... Once I end up in Indy, I think I would just keep going till I get to Hovers.

For Bitter Defeat's prod tech, I will complete Plantations (CA). Then comes March Out, then New Lands New Dangers which requires yet another prod tech. So that one quest will require four CA techs: Trading Charters, Country Houses (satisfies the res tech req, but I had one saved in earlier age...), Imperialism, and then the Prod tech clockmaking.

That will leave me four CA techs at the end of the tree...
You don't have to take Las Penas to get to PE. However, to get the PE story, you'll have to take Las Penas unless you negotiate the south/fight the north.

KeenWise

You don't have to take Las Penas to get to PE. However, to get the PE story, you'll have to take Las Penas unless you negotiate the south/fight the north.
Hmmm. I am not following... or I have missed something...

1) I am supposed to keep doing story quests, right? And right now I am in the Indy story.

2) North/South refers to the main "US" map and not the bonus "Canada/Mexico" portions of the map.

3) Las Penas is the far southwest portion on the US map, right? (Link: https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/f...st/scale-to-width-down/1000?cb=20140622030247)

4) I negged Okofe, and then I fought in the north, New Cragshire and Rantford, which is what brought up story quest Bitter Defeat, and that will trigger March Out... which is the quest that requires me to take Las Penas... isn't it? (Link: https://forgeofempires.fandom.com/wiki/Story_Quests#Industrial_Age)

5) Was I supposed to do something else? Can I still avoid March Out? I could neg Desperation (feeling a little desperate, lol)... And Las Penas is in the south... so hmmm. Still confused.

I feel like the crucial decision point may have been just after taking Okofe. The next quest had me scout Desperation and New Cragshire. And the very next quest locked me in -- take two sectors. And I fought two NC sectors. Perhaps I should have neg'd two Desperation instead? Oh well. I am going to complete "new lands new dangers..." which feels apt at the moment.

Okay... So the good news is what I missed -- I wrote above thinking I was already in the quest Bitter Defeat. But in fact, I am completing instead New Challenges New Dangers. OMG. So... next up should be Friendly Visit... Any advice welcome!!!

Update: Instead of A friendly visit, I got Calm Before the Storm. What the wiki calls version 2, scout west of Rantford...

Last edited:

FluffyPhoenix

That is one crunchy screenshot! Looks good though, I don't think you could have skipped much else except the one IA province with the expansion. Good luck with InA as everything starts to slow down more and more while also getting crazy pricy

You mean I didn't maximize efficiency?! Nooooo...!
Ha. Yeah, it's slowing down now with money. I'm trying to aid people to get a CF, but now have THREE Traz prints and no CF. I cry.

UBERhelp1

Hmmm. I am not following... or I have missed something...

1) I am supposed to keep doing story quests, right? And right now I am in the Indy story.

2) North/South refers to the main "US" map and not the bonus "Canada/Mexico" portions of the map.

3) Las Penas is the far southwest portion on the US map, right? (Link: https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/f...st/scale-to-width-down/1000?cb=20140622030247)

4) I negged Okofe, and then I fought in the north, New Cragshire and Rantford, which is what brought up story quest Bitter Defeat, and that will trigger March Out... which is the quest that requires me to take Las Penas... isn't it? (Link: https://forgeofempires.fandom.com/wiki/Story_Quests#Industrial_Age)

5) Was I supposed to do something else? Can I still avoid March Out? I could neg Desperation (feeling a little desperate, lol)... And Las Penas is in the south... so hmmm. Still confused.

I feel like the crucial decision point may have been just after taking Okofe. The next quest had me scout Desperation and New Cragshire. And the very next quest locked me in -- take two sectors. And I fought two NC sectors. Perhaps I should have neg'd two Desperation instead? Oh well. I am going to complete "new lands new dangers..." which feels apt at the moment.

Okay... So the good news is what I missed -- I wrote above thinking I was already in the quest Bitter Defeat. But in fact, I am completing instead New Challenges New Dangers. OMG. So... next up should be Friendly Visit... Any advice welcome!!!

Update: Instead of A friendly visit, I got Calm Before the Storm. What the wiki calls version 2, scout west of Rantford...
I think you should be good.

Gator54

In addition, while not confirmed on all the triggers yet, to trigger the quest "Che, Again" which yields 2 Commandos (light units), I took Trung Doi, while having taken only the sectors of Rung Chien Dau required by the questline. I left Day Du Ao alone.

I took Day Du Ao and left Trung Doi and took no sectors of Rung Chien Dau (Guerilla Warfare Side Quest still active)

KeenWise

I think you should be good.
Huzzah huzzah! I made the boat and never touched Las Penas!

Not just great advice, but honestly can't thank you enough for the coaching/life support, lol. Those wikis are a great resource, and I am glad they are there. But trying to decipher what came next by reading the Indy wikis... I nearly gave up. :) you're like the fairy-godfoe of higher age unit questors.

Now... I have never had advanced troops in CA before this world... Had been sure I would go for Tanks. I like armor. :) But I wonder if conscripts or snipers would be more effective in CA... conscripts with that bonus in close combat, so strong against fast and light... striking grenadiers before they get close enough for range. But weak against range... at least CA cant shoot as far as snipers. But how are they against cannon? Guess I have my Indy fast for heavy cannon groups... Snipers are only interesting to me for the extreme range... but when rogues are hit in close quarters, they wont retaliate if they're snipers, right? So I think in CA, tanks or conscripts are better. But I still love that defense stat on tanks... bring on all comers in CA, shouldn't they be able to mow everything down?

Last edited:
I've completed most of the TE map and am already very happy with the Stealth Tanks and Combat Drones.
I'm now at Deduction, which is not on the Fandom Wiki.
I've got a few questions:
What will exactly happen if I do scout or conquer one of the forbidden provinces on the CE or TE map? Will it blow my chances of getting higher age units entirely? For example by presenting me with a Tech Blocker? Or will I just miss out on a few units?
The second thing, I'm still a bit afraid of the 'King of the Desert' quest. Will what I've done be enough, e.a. reaching the TE map, to skip the Tech Blocker quest? I'm now at the choiche to finish the TE map entirely or to move straight to the FE map. Thanks in advance.

[...]

Now... I have never had advanced troops in CA before this world... Had been sure I would go for Tanks. I like armor. :) But I wonder if conscripts or snipers would be more effective in CA... conscripts with that bonus in close combat, so strong against fast and light... striking grenadiers before they get close enough for range. But weak against range... at least CA cant shoot as far as snipers. But how are they against cannon? Guess I have my Indy fast for heavy cannon groups... Snipers are only interesting to me for the extreme range... but when rogues are hit in close quarters, they wont retaliate if they're snipers, right? So I think in CA, tanks or conscripts are better. But I still love that defense stat on tanks... bring on all comers in CA, shouldn't they be able to mow everything down?

In my opinion, conscripts weren't much of a help to me when I had them in Ina. Might be when you have a higher attack boost. In my second world, I'm planning on getting the tanks in PE.

UBERhelp1

Not just great advice, but honestly can't thank you enough for the coaching/life support, lol. Those wikis are a great resource, and I am glad they are there. But trying to decipher what came next by reading the Indy wikis... I nearly gave up. :) you're like the fairy-godfoe of higher age unit questors.

Thanks! Just trying to put stuff together that is useful to everyone else.

I liked the snipers, so I never really got to mess around with tanks. I didn't autobattle with them, only manual, so I don't really know how good tanks/snipers are in autoing. When I pushed the rest of PE into ME after moving to InA, I found the armored car to be really nice for manual battles since I could rush in quickly. It could just be a matter of preference though.

I've completed most of the TE map and am already very happy with the Stealth Tanks and Combat Drones.
I'm now at Deduction, which is not on the Fandom Wiki.
I've got a few questions:
What will exactly happen if I do scout or conquer one of the forbidden provinces on the CE or TE map? Will it blow my chances of getting higher age units entirely? For example by presenting me with a Tech Blocker? Or will I just miss out on a few units?
The second thing, I'm still a bit afraid of the 'King of the Desert' quest. Will what I've done be enough, e.a. reaching the TE map, to skip the Tech Blocker quest? I'm now at the choiche to finish the TE map entirely or to move straight to the FE map. Thanks in advance.
Sorry, I have to ask again. Is reaching the TE map enough to skip the Tech Blocker Quest King of the Desert? Or do you have to reach the FE map?

UBERhelp1

Sorry, I have to ask again. Is reaching the TE map enough to skip the Tech Blocker Quest King of the Desert? Or do you have to reach the FE map?
You can get to the TE map and and skip the tech blocker. However, you might lose the story for a little while doing so. I'm not 100% sure on it yet.

In InA, going for PME units (I'd like to try for Oceanic, but I'm probably 1-2 techs short.). I’ve followed the fighting route, supporting Schledorf and got the 2 tanks.

I'm at "Get the King", which needs me to "acquire Sud". Does it matter if I negotiate or attack to complete this quest? Or, since I followed a fighting path to get here, is it best to stick with fighting unless in instructions specifically tell me to negotiate? (i.e. I know I have to "negotiate a sector for the quest "Don't Mention the War.")

In general, unless the instructions in the guide make a specific mention to fight or negotiate a province or sector, does it matter if I negotiate or attack as I work my way through the story-line?
Thank you for the guide and for any advice.

UBERhelp1

In InA, going for PME units (I'd like to try for Oceanic, but I'm probably 1-2 techs short.). I’ve followed the fighting route, supporting Schledorf and got the 2 tanks.

I'm at "Get the King", which needs me to "acquire Sud". Does it matter if I negotiate or attack to complete this quest? Or, since I followed a fighting path to get here, is it best to stick with fighting unless in instructions specifically tell me to negotiate? (i.e. I know I have to "negotiate a sector for the quest "Don't Mention the War.")

In general, unless the instructions in the guide make a specific mention to fight or negotiate a province or sector, does it matter if I negotiate or attack as I work my way through the story-line?
Thank you for the guide and for any advice.
You can probably just fight it. I don't think it matters really once you get the specific units for each side.