• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Guide] Higher Age Units Guide v2.20

xivarmy

As far as I can tell so far, you can't get TE story after you've taken rio roxo without having gotten story yet. (with the exception of the short arc in Bajatai).

Story can't resume at any old quest - there's specific points in CE+ where it'll resume without another prerequisite quest - but most quests do still also have another quest as prerequisite I think.

"Meet Miguel Mantos" (or something after it) seems so far to be a prereq for all the northern chain of the story; it also seems like it & "An Old Acquaintance" are the only two quests without a quest prereq in TE. So 2 Combat Drones may be all you can get in TE if you skipped story (but you can get those 2 combat drones before you get to FE map at least if doing so).

Update: "Miranda Meets Her Maker" it resumed at it seems. So too late to get the rest of the troops, but in time to have to pay the additional tech. So perhaps a little tricky to get the combat drones while saving a tech.

KeenWise

Actually that Surveillance Nexus quest can be triggered while the player is still in Industrial Age. I have it built in my InA city just because I think it looks cool :)
OMG! I just triggered it by taking Rio Roxo while in Colonial Age! And thank you to @ODragon, too -- his careful documentation of the first Rio-Roxo triggered quest, Gadgeteer, has saved me so much grief! I had not seen a single side quest in ages, literally and figuratively, so I aborted Gadgeteer before I realized I was looking at a side quest instead of an RQ, lol. I had even written to Uber for help, and then I searched the Forum (noobish folk like me end up searching after we post somewhere, lol) and found ODragon's post. #HappyDays!

A little sad that I am not on the brink of some higher age troop stash, but so glad to see something other than an RQ!

KingJMobile

@UBERhelp1 Okay, so about a world where I'm in PME, I finally completed the PME blocker, and now I've whizzed through the Story and nipped up some side quests (I got 2 Assault Tanks and 3 AAVs, but aargh I was an idiot for aborting the quest that gave me missiles). Now I've reached the point where I've lost the Story and I've scouted and taken one sector of Torrinhos (which was way before). I'm not sure when the story will come back, but I'm assuming Rio Roxo once more. In your guide, it does say you can receive the entire TE Questline, but I don't know how to get it. Any ideas?

KingJMobile

OMG! I just triggered it by taking Rio Roxo while in Colonial Age! And thank you to @ODragon, too -- his careful documentation of the first Rio-Roxo triggered quest, Gadgeteer, has saved me so much grief! I had not seen a single side quest in ages, literally and figuratively, so I aborted Gadgeteer before I realized I was looking at a side quest instead of an RQ, lol. I had even written to Uber for help, and then I searched the Forum (noobish folk like me end up searching after we post somewhere, lol) and found ODragon's post. #HappyDays!

A little sad that I am not on the brink of some higher age troop stash, but so glad to see something other than an RQ!

Wait did you get any TE Units?

UBERhelp1

@UBERhelp1 Okay, so about a world where I'm in PME, I finally completed the PME blocker, and now I've whizzed through the Story and nipped up some side quests (I got 2 Assault Tanks and 3 AAVs, but aargh I was an idiot for aborting the quest that gave me missiles). Now I've reached the point where I've lost the Story and I've scouted and taken one sector of Torrinhos (which was way before). I'm not sure when the story will come back, but I'm assuming Rio Roxo once more. In your guide, it does say you can receive the entire TE Questline, but I don't know how to get it. Any ideas?
Ok so it looks like it might be only combat drones but I haven't had time to really sit down and look at this. I have a lot on my plate right now.

KingJMobile

no... at least not yet :) but while i am still moving on tank treads through TE, the good news is that quests can still be triggered... and i still hope a troop quest might be triggered by the time i am ready to take the first FE province.

I reckon you should trigger the TE Story and maybe get those in Colonial. I'm curious, what Story quest are you on rn?

Vikrum

Hello hello- I am in Colonial Age and on the Industrial map. I've completed the south and north provinces as instructed with the exception of Las Penas, which has been scouted but not touched. There are also additional provinces not mentioned in the guide on the map to the north and south and an additional ship, all of which still not scouted. My current story quest is "New Challenges, New Dangers" and unfortunately I didn't save the techs necessary to complete it without jumping to InA, and I don't think I have any quests that will produce the InA troops needed (though I could be wrong if they come through the provinces on the board).

Is it still possible for me to get PE troops while in Colonial, or do I have to age up now? And am I still in good shape to follow the guide beyond this point? I'm also uncertain if I should try to advance the map as much as possible while in Colonial, but answers to the above might clear that up. Thanks!

UBERhelp1

Hello hello- I am in Colonial Age and on the Industrial map. I've completed the south and north provinces as instructed with the exception of Las Penas, which has been scouted but not touched. There are also additional provinces not mentioned in the guide on the map to the north and south and an additional ship, all of which still not scouted. My current story quest is "New Challenges, New Dangers" and unfortunately I didn't save the techs necessary to complete it without jumping to InA, and I don't think I have any quests that will produce the InA troops needed (though I could be wrong if they come through the provinces on the board).

Is it still possible for me to get PE troops while in Colonial, or do I have to age up now? And am I still in good shape to follow the guide beyond this point? I'm also uncertain if I should try to advance the map as much as possible while in Colonial, but answers to the above might clear that up. Thanks!
If you don't have the techs you can't get advance the story quests. Unfortunately you'll have to move up to InA to get anything else.

Vikrum

Thanks! Is it generally okay to keep progressing through the map as able before then, or should I be holding at a certain point?

UBERhelp1

Thanks! Is it generally okay to keep progressing through the map as able before then, or should I be holding at a certain point?
Pushing the PE map before the story could change which units you receive (since you took all the sectors so you aren't necessarily supporting one side). And if you take the PME provinces first you won't get MG teams.

KeenWise

I reckon you should trigger the TE Story and maybe get those in Colonial. I'm curious, what Story quest are you on rn?
Thank you for asking. :) My story quest is "The Peace Conference." I have 2 RQ slots. Only a few TE provinces left, and I am slowing down because I want to generate a table, if one does not exist already. @UBERhelp1 is there a table showing each achievable higher age troop and whether that troop is earned by (1) story quest, (2) side quest, or (3) bonus quest and maybe (4) triggers for that quest?

If not, I think I will sit down again with the guide and try to make one. Since I began this journey with my Progressive tank rolling along with a Colonial driver, I saw only RQs until Gadgeteer and the quest that yielded my Surveillance Nexus. To me that suggests that troop-yielding quests with Gadgeteer type triggers are what I need to find. So when I construct (or find) the table, I will also ask what kind of triggers are known. Because if the triggers are all ones that I cannot hit in Colonial, then I may need to rethink what I am doing.

Maryjomaryjo

Uber ….this gal just wants to say Thank you!! Im in PME and got my hovers …your plan is perfect … I was is PME for a while so had plenty of MG to fight (except for required negot and a few sectors near the end) I really think it is so kind of you to take the huge amount of time to put this together!!! I only have 2 techs left so will go on a little farther … Thank You Thank You!

UBERhelp1

Thank you for asking. :) My story quest is "The Peace Conference." I have 2 RQ slots. Only a few TE provinces left, and I am slowing down because I want to generate a table, if one does not exist already. @UBERhelp1 is there a table showing each achievable higher age troop and whether that troop is earned by (1) story quest, (2) side quest, or (3) bonus quest and maybe (4) triggers for that quest?

If not, I think I will sit down again with the guide and try to make one. Since I began this journey with my Progressive tank rolling along with a Colonial driver, I saw only RQs until Gadgeteer and the quest that yielded my Surveillance Nexus. To me that suggests that troop-yielding quests with Gadgeteer type triggers are what I need to find. So when I construct (or find) the table, I will also ask what kind of triggers are known. Because if the triggers are all ones that I cannot hit in Colonial, then I may need to rethink what I am doing.
That's not a bad idea. I could set that up though, you don't have to. But basically all the troops are from story quests past CA except for the PME MG Teams and CE troops. The triggers part would be the tricky bit.

As for Gadgeteer, idk if you can get any unit side quests like that. It seems like there's four types of side quest triggers: story quest, tech tree, cmap, and player age in there as well. I think in a lower age, the only quests you'll get are those only triggered by the story, but many side quests seem to have a tech tree requirement or player age requirement. And some side quests we just have no idea how are triggered.

UBERhelp1

Uber ….this gal just wants to say Thank you!! Im in PME and got my hovers …your plan is perfect … I was is PME for a while so had plenty of MG to fight (except for required negot and a few sectors near the end) I really think it is so kind of you to take the huge amount of time to put this together!!! I only have 2 techs left so will go on a little farther … Thank You Thank You!
I'm glad to hear that! Thanks for the feedback :)

xivarmy

I'm pretty sure all unit side-quests are triggered by story or tech. I've heard speculation on getting CE helicopters many eras early from Derelict Dictator, but I don't know if anyone's put together a proof of concept for it yet.

The only side quests you'll be able to trigger without story are triggered by map position & peace/war status with leaders.

Ben Trovato

Update: "Miranda Meets Her Maker" it resumed at it seems. So too late to get the rest of the troops, but in time to have to pay the additional tech. So perhaps a little tricky to get the combat drones while saving a tech.
No Stealth Tanks for me then. Thanks for this work. I was just ready to try it myself, but it hardly seems worth it now. I may still play around on the "you never know" basis.

KeenWise

That's not a bad idea. I could set that up though, you don't have to. But basically all the troops are from story quests past CA except for the PME MG Teams and CE troops. The triggers part would be the tricky bit.

As for Gadgeteer, idk if you can get any unit side quests like that. It seems like there's four types of side quest triggers: story quest, tech tree, cmap, and player age in there as well. I think in a lower age, the only quests you'll get are those only triggered by the story, but many side quests seem to have a tech tree requirement or player age requirement. And some side quests we just have no idea how are triggered.
As for the chart, I did not want to add to all the work you already do for us :) But your summary paints the picture pretty well. One or two questions, though:

UBERhelp1 said:
Also, if the player receives the quest "An Old Acquaintance," they will receive an additional 3 Exoskeleton Soldier (light units). It is not quite known how this quest can exactly be triggered, or what causes it not to be triggered. I got this quest when negotiating all the FE provinces.

That's from the guide section on FE troops. Is "Old Acquaintance" a story quest? Exoskeletons are not as cool as hovers, of course, but I would not mind Exos in Colonial, lol. But... if the only way to get FE (or even TE troops) is via story quest, then my hope for those troops while I am in CA is that I can trigger a story quest to take one of my RQs, something only reported for folk in Indy and above.

Last edited:

UBERhelp1

As for the chart, I did not want to add to all the work you already do for us :) But your summary paints the picture pretty well. One or two questions, though:

That's from the guide section on FE troops. Is "Old Acquaintance" a story quest? Exoskeletons are not as cool as hovers, of course, but I would not mind Exos in Colonial, lol. But... if the only way to get FE (or even TE troops) is via story quest, then my hope for those troops while I am in CA is that I can trigger a story quest to take one of my RQs, something only reported for folk in Indy and above.
Yes. It's a story quest.

jeffj2

Nice guide. But burying the "don't complete Your Choice: Truth or Dare " near the end of the guide is useless. That tip should be moved earlier into the guide where the person will be doing the Progressive tree.