• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Guide] Higher Age Units Guide v2.20

UBERhelp1

Ok thanks. I do believe you do need to be a bit more clear about that during that part. Just a suggestion.
Which parts did you find confusing specifically, or do you think the whole thing should be reworked a little? I haven't done that much with the TE section, so I'm genuinely curious.

mineseA

If you want TE troops, then do the following:
  1. Scout Torrinhos and abort an RQ. Then complete an RQ or side quest that is NOT Truth or Dare.
  2. Then scout and take Villariba to the North (do not scout Bajatai).
  3. Finally, scout Rio Roxo and abort an RQ to start the TE Story on "Meet Miguel Mantos", and follow the story from there.
See the TE troops section further down to learn which troops you can receive.

Thanks to @KingJMobile for helping figure this out.

This part. I was reading the part about getting TE units. It says don't scout Bajatai, but I'm forced to, as said earlier. Also, I wasn't sure whether I could scout Villabaja and Sierra Torrido because it wasn't specifically stated in it.

xivarmy

If you want TE troops then you're fine taking anything on the TE map.

To be clear, it's a bit more complicated than this... If you're skipping the CE blocker, the first part of TE story does not exist. TE story can restart in 3 parts as far as I'm aware.

1) After scouting, but before taking Rio Roxo: If you take Rio Roxo before you "Meet Miguel Mantos", you will miss out on most of the TE troops - this is a prerequisite for the bulk of the Miranda line.
2) After scouting Bajatai (not sure if there's also the "before taking" condition on this one) - this will trigger a short line where you re-meet Escovar. It will not enable you to do any more than the quests that pertain to Bajatai (gets you combat drones) - i.e. if you missed 1, story will vanish again afterwards.
3) After finishing Miranda's last province - too late to get troops, but in time to catch the extra tech requirement.

Once you've restarted story I would be careful about doing more than the story asks you to do just in case you somehow break it.

Advice sought. I want to go for AF-OF troops while aging up no higher than InA. Currently I'm in LMA, working through Colonial map provinces, strictly following the story-line. I've already acquired all the CA troops possible.
Two questions.
1) Is it better to negotiate or attack Colonial provinces, or does it matter for when I advance on the map ? So far I've negotiated everything, to keep options open. (Currently doing "The Extravagant Emperor")
2) Should I continue to work on the story line while in LMA as long as possible? I wanted to save as many techs as I can by only advancing an age when required. However, I am not sure if being in LMA somehow impacts what troops I am able to go for once I do age up to Colonial (and eventually to InA).
Thank you!

Ben Trovato

Awesome response. Thank you. I have a separate question, how do I get all the goods needed to progress all the way to FE when I'm in InA. I got some help from a guild mate to get SAJM goods and I was planning to trade down one level at a time. But it seems pretty hard to trade down and find people to buy higher level goods. Would you have some tips for that?
Let me add one other thing to xivarmy's point about fighting (and if you get the higher-aged troops as you go in PE/ME/PME/TE on the way to the FE map, you'll be able to fight through with relatively low bonuses). A medium to high level Chateau Frontenac will maximise the goods you get from the questline, enough to help to negotiate on the Indy and PE maps for sure, but it will bulk up your treasury at the higher ages too as you go through the storyline. You will need some goods for the storyline quests.

You'll also still need some other goods for negotiation for a couple of map provinces later on. I'd look at those and trade down in multiple ages at a time. You don't have to fair trade all the way down! There's the first province you should negotiate on the PME map for the Che quests which eventually get you MG Teams, as well as Agadar, the first sector in FE, but otherwise I think you are good to fight through to the hovers — just follow the guide.

Last edited:

Ben Trovato

Advice sought. I want to go for AF-OF troops while aging up no higher than InA. Currently I'm in LMA, working through Colonial map provinces, strictly following the story-line. I've already acquired all the CA troops possible.
Two questions.
1) Is it better to negotiate or attack Colonial provinces, or does it matter for when I advance on the map ? So far I've negotiated everything, to keep options open. (Currently doing "The Extravagant Emperor")
2) Should I continue to work on the story line while in LMA as long as possible? I wanted to save as many techs as I can by only advancing an age when required. However, I am not sure if being in LMA somehow impacts what troops I am able to go for once I do age up to Colonial (and eventually to InA).
Thank you!
For both the Colonial story questline and the LMA/Colonial bonus questline, fighting and negotiating give the same troops so CA provinces are your choice.

Yes to the storyline. You can only get as far as Varseilles Beauty which needs Colonial decorations, but it's a good idea to get that far while still in LMA. This doesn't impact on what troops you can go for in a higher level. You don't save techs by staying in a lower age beyond when you get stuck on the storyline, as you want to reach IndA and that means you'll have to reach the end of the LMA and CA tech trees before that point. You'll save techs by looking at all the techs in the tree you don't need to take to reach the end (So for LMA: Metal Working, Aristocracy, Optics and Pest Control).

Just be careful not to move on to the Indy Map without reading the guide first. What you fight and negotiate there definitely matters.

Last edited:
For both the Colonial story questline and the LMA/Colonial bonus questline, fighting and negotiating give the same troops so CA provinces are your choice.

Yes to the storyline. You can only get as far as Varseilles Beauty which needs Colonial decorations, but it's a good idea to get that far while still in LMA. This doesn't impact on what troops you can go for in a higher level. You don't save techs by staying in a lower age beyond when you get stuck on the storyline, as you want to reach IndA and that means you'll have to reach the end of the LMA and CA tech trees before that point. You'll save techs by looking at all the techs in the tree you don't need to take to reach the end (So for LMA: Metal Working, Aristocracy, Optics and Pest Control).

Just be careful not to move on to the Indy Map without reading the guide first. What you fight and negotiate there definitely matters.
Thank you so much for this detailed response! Super helpful.

I did LMA bonus quests today and got all the CA troops explained in the article. However, I have fought through all the LMA and some of CA maps when I was in HMA. The bonus quest line still triggered and I even got all 5 Granadiers despite fought all the maps ahead of time. Maybe the game logic changed recently. Just want to see if others have done the same and confirm this so maybe we can update the tutorial.

Last edited:

xivarmy

I did LMA bonus quests today and got all the CA troops explained in the article. However, I have fought through all the LMA and some of CA maps in HMA. The bonus quest line still triggered and I even got all 5 Granadiers despite fought all the maps ahead of time. Maybe the game logic changed recently. Just want to see if others have done the same and confirm this so maybe we can update the tutorial.

It's mostly precautionary to say "don't fight ahead" in parts where things might be sensitive. You're never quite sure what might break something so unless you *need* to break something (such as skipping PME/CE blockers) it's simplest to advise people to wait til quests can guide them through critical parts.

I do think there's some quests that get skipped in the bonus line if you fight ahead, but they may not be important ones.

Areas I have tested fighting ahead:

CA Continent from the point you get story-stuck in LMA -> First Province of Industrial: no issues, nothing skipped. I suspect you might be able to fight the desired path through Industrial in advance, but haven't dared test it as I wouldn't want to miss out on the indy troops in colonial.

PE Continent from the point where you get stuck at Peace Conference in Colonial -> ME continent fully scouted: no issues, nothing skipped. Wanted to make sure Guns Not Butter didn't get messed up, so I didn't fight those last provinces. But again, I suspect you could. And you do have to stop at the start of PME map until story catches up anyways to get your MG teams since the Che line *is* fragile and missable.

In both cases these were tested so that the scouting time could be absorbed into the previous era before I'd clear the story so I wouldn't have to spend as many 50 diamonds on scouting to get the new troops asap when I got into the era.

Still if I were writing a guide I'd skip those results because it's simpler and less risky to say "follow story".

Ben Trovato

It's mostly precautionary to say "don't fight ahead" in parts where things might be sensitive. You're never quite sure what might break something so unless you *need* to break something (such as skipping PME/CE blockers) it's simplest to advise people to wait til quests can guide them through critical parts.

I do think there's some quests that get skipped in the bonus line if you fight ahead, but they may not be important ones.

Areas I have tested fighting ahead:

CA Continent from the point you get story-stuck in LMA -> First Province of Industrial: no issues, nothing skipped. I suspect you might be able to fight the desired path through Industrial in advance, but haven't dared test it as I wouldn't want to miss out on the indy troops in colonial.

PE Continent from the point where you get stuck at Peace Conference in Colonial -> ME continent fully scouted: no issues, nothing skipped. Wanted to make sure Guns Not Butter didn't get messed up, so I didn't fight those last provinces. But again, I suspect you could. And you do have to stop at the start of PME map until story catches up anyways to get your MG teams since the Che line *is* fragile and missable.

In both cases these were tested so that the scouting time could be absorbed into the previous era before I'd clear the story so I wouldn't have to spend as many 50 diamonds on scouting to get the new troops asap when I got into the era.

Still if I were writing a guide I'd skip those results because it's simpler and less risky to say "follow story".

I finally got around to going through the Indy map in LMA [Okahe (neg), New Cragshire (fight), Rantford (fight), St Marque (fight) and Garrincton (fight)], like you, to move scouting times forward. I subsequently followed the Indy storyline in CA and it worked perfectly well. I have a guide which just as you say advises follow the map with the story, and for exactly your reasons. Also until I'd tried it myself, I couldn't be sure. You can't attack the South until the questline is complete, but that route through to the Progressive map is doable without losing Indy units.

Last edited:

mineseA

To be clear, it's a bit more complicated than this... If you're skipping the CE blocker, the first part of TE story does not exist. TE story can restart in 3 parts as far as I'm aware.

1) After scouting, but before taking Rio Roxo: If you take Rio Roxo before you "Meet Miguel Mantos", you will miss out on most of the TE troops - this is a prerequisite for the bulk of the Miranda line.
2) After scouting Bajatai (not sure if there's also the "before taking" condition on this one) - this will trigger a short line where you re-meet Escovar. It will not enable you to do any more than the quests that pertain to Bajatai (gets you combat drones) - i.e. if you missed 1, story will vanish again afterwards.
3) After finishing Miranda's last province - too late to get troops, but in time to catch the extra tech requirement.

Once you've restarted story I would be careful about doing more than the story asks you to do just in case you somehow break it.
Done, done, and nearly done. THanks for the advice!

Ben Trovato

1 bronze, 7 EMA, 8 HMA, 4 LMA techs saved so far. I think I should be OK for at least AF troops in InA, maybe the OF units as well.
I think you are already okay for everything currently known to be possible, and with a significant number to spare. In my latest city I saved one more than you in BA, but I took Conservation in HMA and Aristocracy in LMA so you total one more than me up to CA.

Last edited:

Phelan.Wolf

Ok, relatively new player here and I have a question. I'm currently in LMA and managed to get the CE troops from the side quests. BUT what good do they do if you use them and lose them? Since the Traz only generates troops based on what you can currently generate, how do you generate more advanced aged troops?

UBERhelp1

Ok, relatively new player here and I have a question. I'm currently in LMA and managed to get the CE troops from the side quests. BUT what good do they do if you use them and lose them? Since the Traz only generates troops based on what you can currently generate, how do you generate more advanced aged troops?
1664664835857.png
If you lose them, they're gone. You have to protect them when you have them. Use your Traz to produce rogues to use alongside your higher age units, and you'll be alright. There's only a limited amount you can get from each questline, so you have to be careful and not lose them.

xivarmy

LMA isn't the best age for them - because Colonial units don't have *that* much of an advantage over LMA units. So they're still in danger of dying in any fight where you might need an edge.

I usually don't worry about rushing for the Colonial units in LMA - get em when I get em.

Industrial, PE, PME, FE, OF units can be *huge* upgrades over current age ones though - so there you pair em with rogues and plan on them not dying. And if they do rarely, you revive them with diamonds.

KingJMobile

If you do lose them, I think you might be able to get them back by contacting support, though this is not guaranteed since Inno is rather sketchy when it comes to higher-era units. Also if you play on a PC, be sure to have the FoEhelper tool on as it can warn you to revive a dead higher-era unit before exiting the battle result screen.