• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Guide] Higher Age Units Guide v2.20

Is it possible to get Police Station in the upcoming 2022 Fall Event?
If my goal is to get Hover tank in PE, should I just research police station for simplicity?

Last edited:

xivarmy

Is it possible to get Police Station in the upcoming 2022 Fall Event?
If my goal is to get Hover tank in PE, should I just research police station for simplicity?
I'm unsure if Fall will be any good for Police Stations - some events lock to specific cultural buildings in their chests. Regardless, yes I'd just research to Police Stations if you're not tight for techs (which either just hovers, or PE target age both make simple enough)

Ben Trovato

You get a Police Station from one of the quests. DO NOT RESEARCH!
Which quest? The Peace Conference requires we have two Police Stations not that we build two, so you can't use the store and rebuild trick. I didn't see any cultural buildings on the Pirate's Wheel in the summer event this year, and I'd be pleasantly surprised if there was an alternative to GE or the researches.

Last edited:

KingJMobile

Which quest? The Peace Conference requires we have two Police Stations not that we build two, so you can't use the store and rebuild trick. I didn't see any cultural buildings on the Pirate's Wheel in the summer event this year, and I'd be pleasantly surprised if there was an alternative to GE or the researches.
I believe the Fall Event will have Police Stations like it did last year. I'm taking my chances.

I started in HMA with 9M supplies, and now I'm fighting in PA with only 5M supplies left. If I buy and sell a lot of buildings to get through the story quests, it gets more and more expensive. How much supplies would I need to progress to FE, is it worth to build a Himeji Castle if the goal is to settle in InA or PA?

UBERhelp1

I started in HMA with 9M supplies, and now I'm fighting in PA with only 5M supplies left. If I buy and sell a lot of buildings to get through the story quests, it gets more and more expensive. How much supplies would I need to progress to FE, is it worth to build a Himeji Castle if the goal is to settle in InA or PA?
If you're going to be fighting (regardless of age) it's worth getting an HC. You're just going to have to either slow down your progress or do something like building an HC though. No real quick way to get tons of supplies othere than that.

xivarmy

It's coins you're most likely to run out of in the long run. Supplies start covering themselves after a while because building and selling lower age buildings gets funded by high age province rewards easily. But high age scouting costs are another matter. The world I did it from the start on without sitting around banking up I realized I wanted a SMB around the time the first of our group was going through TE map.

ME map is probably the biggest stress on supplies (mostly gather quests; but if you solve those through building and selling it can get spendy)

Ben Trovato

I believe the Fall Event will have Police Stations like it did last year. I'm taking my chances.
Thank you. I've just moved up to Indy this evening and am waiting on Police Stations to move forward (well that and about half the Progressive map). I will keep a look out. Although I have plenty saved and getting the harvest fields will dicate the day I move, it could be really useful for another in my guild.

mineseA

I know that taking Villaraba isn't required, but can I take it because it makes the entire continent map whole? Thanks.

UBERhelp1

I know that taking Villaraba isn't required, but can I take it because it makes the entire continent map whole? Thanks.
I'm feeling lazy today SO. Assuming you wanted TE troops and are in the TE story, go for it. If you didn't want TE troops, no takey just in case.

To skip PME blocker, I should not take any quests including story quests, side quests, recurring quests while working on CE map. But should I also avoid Daily quests and Event quests, or those don't matter?

UBERhelp1

To skip PME blocker, I should not take any quests including story quests, side quests, recurring quests while working on CE map. But should I also avoid Daily quests and Event quests, or those don't matter?
Those don't matter. Just don't complete Truth or Dare. The reason you don't want to do side quests is that will cause the story to jump to that slot, and the story can get lost there.

KeenWise

New world... new tower ruin quest. #resumeresearch...fast.

Hey! I could, just maybe, win a tower ruin in the last days of the current event, right? I have not seen anyone mention it in this thread, but I can hope, right? :) If people win police stations.... why not ruins?

Last edited:

KingJMobile

New world... new tower ruin quest. #resumeresearch...fast.

Hey! I could, just maybe, win a tower ruin in the last days of the current event, right? I have not seen anyone mention it in this thread, but I can hope, right? :) If people win police stations.... why not ruins?
That would be difficult since the tower ruin is a normal decoration and only premium decorations are available in events.

Ben Trovato

Seeking after higher-age units is "more useful for campers than tech-tree chasers" we are told in the intro to this excellent guide, and I agree, being by nature a camping kind of player. However this feels a bit like a challenge. Shouldn't higher-age units be advantageous irrespective of playing style? So inspired, I tried a little experiment. I took a relatively young city, two and a half months old, Iron Age, with attack bonuses around 200/100, and did a bit of tech-tree chasing to see if higher age units could get me to the hovers without crashing and burning.

When timed right, aging up can give a temporary advantage in battlegrounds and expeditions, fighting against lower age competition. The following season the advantage is wiped out, unless the player ages again. This can't continue indefinitely and can leave the city in an Age the player can't compete in and without the resources to climb out of the hole they've dug. However, what if higher age troops could come to the rescue? What if, when the music stops the player is left with hover tanks, or at least a clear path to get them?

I wanted to reach a stable Industrial Age city within six weeks, without faltering along the journey. That meant always doing 64 podiums in GE and being competitive in battlegrounds. I intended to report on how it went after 6 weeks, but instead I thought I'd let people know after a month, as I'm not sure I'll have time over the next two weeks to complete the experiment. To cut a long story short, it works.

I planned to age up every week on alternate Thursdays and Tuesdays until I hit Industrial, starting with a double to HMA. I hoped to hit the MG Teams after a month and the hovers not long after, allowing myself diamonds for scouting PE and higher maps, and “fair trade” to get missing goods (no begging the guild for favours). I had no idea whether, without a Chateau, the goods for Okahe and the Progressive and Postmodern sectors would be an issue or if I could fight the Industrial map with the bonuses I had. Not to mention goods for Agadir.

The aging up itself went without a hitch, other than delaying Industrial by a day because it otherwise coincided with the start of an event. Today, after 31 days, I've finished the PME map, and have a path to the hovers. I've cleared Expeditions every week and am showing reasonably well in battlegrounds, semi-autoing to over 40 attrition with Industrial opposition. The goods have not proven problematic, given plenty of space in the city. My main reservation is that my lack of defensive bonuses for the attacking army made things more difficult. I've now reached about 375/250, but to counter the loss of rogues on the way, I had to level my Traz higher than I'd originally planned. Another issue was that I didn't have the coins to infiltrate or at one point even to scout. My city still has many Gambrel Roof Houses left over from Colonial Era that I've kept for the coins.

While the defence bonus was a little low to embark on this, the principle is sound. Tech-tree chasers, take note!

UBERhelp1

Seeking after higher-age units is "more useful for campers than tech-tree chasers" we are told in the intro to this excellent guide, and I agree, being by nature a camping kind of player. However this feels a bit like a challenge. Shouldn't higher-age units be advantageous irrespective of playing style? So inspired, I tried a little experiment. I took a relatively young city, two and a half months old, Iron Age, with attack bonuses around 200/100, and did a bit of tech-tree chasing to see if higher age units could get me to the hovers without crashing and burning.

When timed right, aging up can give a temporary advantage in battlegrounds and expeditions, fighting against lower age competition. The following season the advantage is wiped out, unless the player ages again. This can't continue indefinitely and can leave the city in an Age the player can't compete in and without the resources to climb out of the hole they've dug. However, what if higher age troops could come to the rescue? What if, when the music stops the player is left with hover tanks, or at least a clear path to get them?

I wanted to reach a stable Industrial Age city within six weeks, without faltering along the journey. That meant always doing 64 podiums in GE and being competitive in battlegrounds. I intended to report on how it went after 6 weeks, but instead I thought I'd let people know after a month, as I'm not sure I'll have time over the next two weeks to complete the experiment. To cut a long story short, it works.

I planned to age up every week on alternate Thursdays and Tuesdays until I hit Industrial, starting with a double to HMA. I hoped to hit the MG Teams after a month and the hovers not long after, allowing myself diamonds for scouting PE and higher maps, and “fair trade” to get missing goods (no begging the guild for favours). I had no idea whether, without a Chateau, the goods for Okahe and the Progressive and Postmodern sectors would be an issue or if I could fight the Industrial map with the bonuses I had. Not to mention goods for Agadir.

The aging up itself went without a hitch, other than delaying Industrial by a day because it otherwise coincided with the start of an event. Today, after 31 days, I've finished the PME map, and have a path to the hovers. I've cleared Expeditions every week and am showing reasonably well in battlegrounds, semi-autoing to over 40 attrition with Industrial opposition. The goods have not proven problematic, given plenty of space in the city. My main reservation is that my lack of defensive bonuses for the attacking army made things more difficult. I've now reached about 375/250, but to counter the loss of rogues on the way, I had to level my Traz higher than I'd originally planned. Another issue was that I didn't have the coins to infiltrate or at one point even to scout. My city still has many Gambrel Roof Houses left over from Colonial Era that I've kept for the coins.

While the defence bonus was a little low to embark on this, the principle is sound. Tech-tree chasers, take note!
I meant more that once you have the units, they're more useful if you're planning on staying in a lower age, and that if you keep moving up in age, they'll become less powerful relatively. So if you got the hovers, but moved up to PME, then you're investment in getting the hovers will be less valuable. But if you're planning on staying in InA or PE, they will be a lot more powerful, relatively.

When getting the units, aging up quickly can be really helpful both in getting lots of value from the units though, as you've pointed out!