• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Guide] Higher Age Units Guide v2.20

FluffyPhoenix

Nope. Go for it! Once you reach the end and get all the troops, you can push as far as you want. You'll probably be able to reach up to SAM-ish with hovers, possibly further with turturrets if you're careful. Get all those expansions!
With Virgo, you can get pretty much all the way. I'm near the end of the SAJ map in TE. The downside is that I hyper focused on attack since defense there is useless.

Two more questions:
1. Do we really need Arctic Orangery after getting Hover tank? It seems not useful against InA or PE troops because it only works with units of same age.
2. Can we go back to take InA and CE maps and complete them all by fighting to get the expansions?
One thought. I usually use current age units for GE levels 1-3, and also start GBG with current age units until my attrition starts to slow me down. Then I switch to my higher age units. That makes AO still useful for the early fights, allowing me to save my higher age units for the harder battles, and saving some diamonds. I'm in InA, and largely use hovers once attrition hits 50 or so (att 819/822).

blahdad

Open to advice. Got Hovers in Ina, was on track to keep going but goofed up and got the PME tech blocker.

Currently fighting up to 100-115 attrition in Ina. Options -
1. Stay and rock it
1.a. Stay and rock it but push forward in the map to unlock expansions
2. Age up to PE, no units to detect stealth, may be able to hit higher attrition and drag 2 more expansions out of research. Any guess how high?
3. Age up to PME, clear tech blocker and push on to get turturrets. More better fighting?

xivarmy

Open to advice. Got Hovers in Ina, was on track to keep going but goofed up and got the PME tech blocker.

1. Stay and rock it
2. Age up to PE, no units to detect stealth, may be able to hit higher attrition and drag 2 more expansions out of research. Any guess how high?
3. Age up to PME, clear tech blocker and push on to get turturrets. More better fighting?
#2 is likely to get you the most satisfying fights at your point. I don't know that your attrition will really be higher, but you're likely to take scratches less often (well until your hover tank just starts dying in some fights).

PME troops are better enough that you're not likely to be stronger there than PE. You'll still be good, but probably not as good. Whether or not it's worth putting off doing more map for one day doing so is up to you.

Ben Trovato

1. Stay and rock it
I don't get a huge amount of use from my turturrets in PME. They are okay but it's not a significant step up like they are in Indy. They are mostly for the defensive city army.

KeenWise

Turturrets are better in industrial - turturrets look to exploit extreme range and the slowness of the indy units on the scaled-battlefield to destroy everything before taking a hit - you're best off using all 4 turturrets and less rogues - possibly supplemented with 2 rail guns or 4 indy artillery at times. Lancers + Jaegers are the limiting factors. But until the enemy has ridiculously high boost you can overcome them. Manual battles are capable of flawless victories even into some damn high boosts.

Hovers are better in PE. Hovers look to exploit decent range, easy stealth, and rogues. You're somewhat more likely to take scratches from a battle in indy than PE in my experience ; at low-ish boost (~200%) on full auto I usually have to take a heal-break around 40-50 attrition in indy while I could go to 60-70. Where in PE I could usually go to 60-70 directly. But either is easy enough for GE.
I had been wondering whether my next world would just be a well world... Well, maybe it will be an Indy Turturret world!!! Thanks, Xiv. :)

Still have to get the Hovers in this one, lol. Any opinions on when is the best time to age up to Indy? I do not want to short circuit any of the techs I need to get while in CA, but I also do not want to delay those police stations any longer than necessary.

xivarmy

I had been wondering whether my next world would just be a well world... Well, maybe it will be an Indy Turturret world!!! Thanks, Xiv. :)

Still have to get the Hovers in this one, lol. Any opinions on when is the best time to age up to Indy? I do not want to short circuit any of the techs I need to get while in CA, but I also do not want to delay those police stations any longer than necessary.
You can hit Peace Conference while in CA - you wind up with a metric ton of techs you have to take just to unlock police stations. Unless maybe you age up during an event where you can win them - winter event has been good for that in the past and may be conveniently timed.

KeenWise

You can hit Peace Conference while in CA - you wind up with a metric ton of techs you have to take just to unlock police stations. Unless maybe you age up during an event where you can win them - winter event has been good for that in the past and may be conveniently timed.
Yeah, tell me about it -- that's me on Carthage, lol. I decided to leave that world in CA -- CA is a lot more fun to me now than it ever was on other worlds because of the size of that city and all the attack boosts I filled it with. :)

But I do not want that at all on D2. I am at Win More Support there, and I am thinking of going as fast as I can to Indy. If I do that, @xivarmy or @UBERhelp1, or any of the great folks who follow this thread, will it cost me techs I need to get to Hovers while in Indy? (Still have 4 Bronze, 4 Iron, 6 EMA, 7 HMA, and 4 LMA techs available, and I would have the two goods techs from start of CA, too. (All the other CA get used up getting to Indy.)

UBERhelp1

Yeah, tell me about it -- that's me on Carthage, lol. I decided to leave that world in CA -- CA is a lot more fun to me now than it ever was on other worlds because of the size of that city and all the attack boosts I filled it with. :)

But I do not want that at all on D2. I am at Win More Support there, and I am thinking of going as fast as I can to Indy. If I do that, @xivarmy or @UBERhelp1, or any of the great folks who follow this thread, will it cost me techs I need to get to Hovers while in Indy? (Still have 4 Bronze, 4 Iron, 6 EMA, 7 HMA, and 4 LMA techs available, and I would have the two goods techs from start of CA, too. (All the other CA get used up getting to Indy.)
You've already got enough saved to be able to go straight through and win all the troops available if you wanted to. So, you could easily age up to InA, research for Police Stations, and keep on going.

KeenWise

Suggested route that avoids triggering the InA Bonus questline. You need 2 military, 1 residential, and 1 production technologies.
Assuming I do race to Indy and park at the start of it... :)
I could get the mil from the three options in Indy before/equal-to Police Station.
I could get the prod from the three options in Indy before/equal-to Police Station.
I could get res from HMA town houses.
Then to get regular Progressive Tanks, I could use any of my earlier age goods techs plus...
...one of the two decoration techs that are equal-to/after Police Station.
Am I right that the remaining 7-9 techs to get to FE or 16-18 techs to get to OF are all just any generic tech? Because in that case I think I would be safe.
Worst case, I get my Hovers in FE (which makes the rest of higher age troops less important).
Best case, I get the Police Stations early, during an event, and I have more flexibility with the Indy techs.

You've already got enough saved to be able to go straight through and win all the troops available if you wanted to. So, you could easily age up to InA, research for Police Stations, and keep on going.
Thanks so much, Uber! I composed that reply above while researching the guide (the guide literally gets better each time I read it, because you're always improving it, thanks!) so, just leaving it in place.

xivarmy

Assuming I do race to Indy and park at the start of it... :)
I could get the mil from the three options in Indy before/equal-to Police Station.
I could get the prod from the three options in Indy before/equal-to Police Station.
I could get res from HMA town houses.
Then to get regular Progressive Tanks, I could use any of my earlier age goods techs plus...
...one of the two decoration techs that are equal-to/after Police Station.
Am I right that the remaining 7-9 techs to get to FE or 16-18 techs to get to OF are all just any generic tech? Because in that case I think I would be safe.
Worst case, I get my Hovers in FE (which makes the rest of higher age troops less important).
Best case, I get the Police Stations early, during an event, and I have more flexibility with the Indy techs.

Thanks so much, Uber! I composed that reply above while researching the guide (the guide literally gets better each time I read it, because you're always improving it, thanks!) so, just leaving it in place.
Everything past PE is generic techs. If you plot a path that far you can just count for the rest.

I’m having trouble fighting OF second map. I’ve been using Hover tank with 7 rogues. But when enemy uses crab, plasma, turtle, rail gun, it gets very difficult even with manual fight. Any suggestions, videos to help these fights?

xivarmy

I’m having trouble fighting OF second map. I’ve been using Hover tank with 7 rogues. But when enemy uses crab, plasma, turtle, rail gun, it gets very difficult even with manual fight. Any suggestions, videos to help these fights?

Would need to see some specific armies you're struggling with. It could be a matter of target priority. Or just hiding the real hover in the corner and letting some rogues die. Or sometimes there's a better army to use.

Would need to see some specific armies you're struggling with. It could be a matter of target priority. Or just hiding the real hover in the corner and letting some rogues die. Or sometimes there's a better army to use.
I got some hints from this video.
Two scenarios includes
1. rush hover tank to cross the map because enemy can see invisible target anyway and stay put
2. hide in the left side of the map and wait for turtle and crab to come for you.

KingJMobile

You should try using Eels. It gets difficult with Hovers since they can be injured easily from splash and low movement which is problematic since plains are very rare past the starting tiles.

KeenWise

Part 6: The Video Guide

Welcome to the next stage of this guide! Instead of just a text/screenshot version, I'll be making videos for each age of units you can receive, with an in-depth description of how to receive the units. Also, besides just Higher Age Units Guide content, I'll be posting more Forge of Empires content. If you want to support me or be notified of new videos early, then be sure to subscribe! :)

EMA Units in IA
The first video! Here, I focus on how to get the EMA Armored Infantry while in BA or IA, as well as a quick rundown of all the rewards and requirements to do so.

CA Units in LMA
This video shows how to get all the CA units in LMA through the story and the LMA Bonus Questline, along with the extra rewards!

InA Units in CA
This third video covers how to get InA units in CA without triggering the InA Bonus Questline, as well as how to get extra diamonds by being nice to the natives!

???
Stay tuned for more coming soon!
This is wonderful!