• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Guide] Higher Age Units Guide v2.20

Prutz

Hey,

thanks for the guide, it's just great!

I have although an issue - I am in Modern era, and followed the guide step by step, got the Postmodern troops, avoided the Postmodern tech blocker and scouted the CE Map avoiding the two marked provinces. However once I reached the first TE province all of a sudden a major quest popped up "Dictator's Death", the follow-up of which will tech-block me in CE.

Am I blocked forever in CE? Could I do something to unblock myself or it is final?

What did I wrong?

Thanks a lot!

UBERhelp1

Hey,

thanks for the guide, it's just great!

I have although an issue - I am in Modern era, and followed the guide step by step, got the Postmodern troops, avoided the Postmodern tech blocker and scouted the CE Map avoiding the two marked provinces. However once I reached the first TE province all of a sudden a major quest popped up "Dictator's Death", the follow-up of which will tech-block me in CE.

Am I blocked forever in CE? Could I do something to unblock myself or it is final?

What did I wrong?

Thanks a lot!
Did you wait to push the story until getting to TE? Other than that, it sounds like you did everything right. Worst comes to worst, you'll just have to bite the bullet and either be happy with PME troops in ME or age up to CE to get anything higher.

KingJMobile

Did you wait to push the story until getting to TE? Other than that, it sounds like you did everything right. Worst comes to worst, you'll just have to bite the bullet and either be happy with PME troops in ME or age up to CE to get anything higher.
@UBERhelp1 I think you should definitely mention the quest "Dictator's Death" being part of the story jump in emphasis. It definitely scares a few peeps into thinking they are tech blocked.

KingJMobile

Need a step by step guide on how to get through Natsuishu. Can't seem to get past it no matter what I do.
My advice will be pretty bland, but here goes: Apply the rogue in, unit out strategy with a PE unit and 7 rogues. Increase your A/D, and level up your traz. Or negotiate if you need to.

The rogue in, unit out strategy is simple. Place untransformed rogues in the front and shove the transformed ones out. When most rogues are transformed, you go all in.

Prutz

@UBERhelp1 I think you should definitely mention the quest "Dictator's Death" being part of the story jump in emphasis. It definitely scares a few peeps into thinking they are tech blocked.
So if I understand you correct, I'm not tech blocked and still have a chance to get the hover tanks?

I was trying to get the TE troops but didn't get the "Meet Miguel Mantos", probably messed up the aborting and completing RQs... So I just continue to FE map?

KingJMobile

So if I understand you correct, I'm not tech blocked and still have a chance to get the hover tanks?

I was trying to get the TE troops but didn't get the "Meet Miguel Mantos", probably messed up the aborting and completing RQs... So I just continue to FE map?
Yep, as of now you’re not tech blocked as long as Truth or Dare isn’t aborted/completed.

You still have a chance of starting the TE Story as long as you haven’t scouted Bajatai. If you scout Rio Roxo (NO SECTORS TAKEN) you should be able to start the story and get TE units.

KingJMobile

If you’ve already passed Rio Roxo, you should stop doing RQs until you have negotiated Agadar, or you’ll face another tech on the TE story.

KingJMobile

Yeah, you're right. Fix coming soon :)

Also, thanks for chipping in a lot with answering questions. It really helps out!
No probs Uber. I have way too much expertise and time checking the forum. I literally remember every single step I took getting these units. I’m about to do it again on my second world, in Industrial Age and do a comparison. Meanwhile I’m chilling in the VF Map for expansions.

FluffyPhoenix

The results and aftermath of my experiments are amusing. I'm in LMA with an IA hood and use CA units and an 11% stat boost when the tavern is running. I have millions of supplies and am always running out of coins.
This is weird.

Need a step by step guide on how to get through Natsuishu. Can't seem to get past it no matter what I do.
What I sometimes do, is to keep one unit in the back. Then shove the other ones forward. If you're lucky, a few rogues make it to the other side untransformed and they can one hit kill a lot of units.

.Xav.

Hello! I'm in Industrial age and almost reaching the FE map. I chose not to have TE troops.

I'm afraid of doing something stupid and mess up everything, so could someone clarify one small point for me please? When should I abort or complete an RQ to start the FE quests? After taking the first sector of FE or after taking the full first province? The part of the guide under the 'No TE Troops' spoiler first mentions the province and just later the sector, so I'm not sure when to best do it, if it matters at all.

Thank you, and thanks so much for your awesome work, Uber!

UBERhelp1

Hello! I'm in Industrial age and almost reaching the FE map. I chose not to have TE troops.

I'm afraid of doing something stupid and mess up everything, so could someone clarify one small point for me please? When should I abort or complete an RQ to start the FE quests? After taking the first sector of FE or after taking the full first province? The part of the guide under the 'No TE Troops' spoiler first mentions the province and just later the sector, so I'm not sure when to best do it, if it matters at all.

Thank you, and thanks so much for your awesome work, Uber!
I'd do it after the province. It should be able to work after the first sector iirc, but to be safe the whole province won't hurt.

Hambone the Great

Part 4: Contemporary to Future Era Troops

This section covers the ability of the player to get up to Future Era troops in all ages InA and above. It is still possible to get even higher troops in these ages, but that information can be found in the next part.

Skipping the PME Tech Blocker
Despite there being a PME tech blocker at the end of the PME story, it is possible to skip this blocker to get units higher than PME while still in InA (or higher). To do this, there's a couple of short steps to follow.

First, don't complete the PME story. Stop the questline at the abortable quest "Your Choice: Truth or Dare." If at any point past this you collect or abort this quest, your next story quest will take you back to PME and you will be tech blocked. After you get tech blocked, you are stuck on the story until you age up to PME with no way around it.

Next, scout the CE map as shown in the spoiler below. Specific provinces must be skipped, or you will get tech blocked on the CE story.
Skip the provinces that are red.
z70aYfp.png

Then, you have to choose whether you want TE troops or not. Receiving them will cost an extra technology to research, but they can help you fight the map easier. If you are limited on the technologies you have available to you, I would recommend avoiding TE troops and instead using that tech to receive even higher troops, such as AF or OF ones that will be more powerful. Each path is described below.
If you want TE troops, then do the following:
  1. Scout Torrinhos and abort an RQ. Then complete an RQ or side quest that is NOT Truth or Dare.
  2. Then scout and take Villariba to the North (do not scout Bajatai).
  3. Finally, scout Rio Roxo and abort an RQ to start the TE Story on "Meet Miguel Mantos", and follow the story from there.
See the TE troops section further down to learn which troops you can receive.

Thanks to @KingJMobile for helping figure this out.
If you don't want TE troops, then scout the TE map as shown below, skipping the three provinces marked in red.
yIQX9Pi.png

In this case, take up to and including the first FE province, Agadar, and then complete an RQ or side quest that is not "Truth or Dare" and complete what CE story quest(s) you are given. The story should then jump to FE. Make sure that you complete Agadar via negotiation, however, or you'll miss out on 3 extra FE Hover Tanks (heavy units).

When taking provinces from CE until the first province of FE, DO NOT complete any RQ or side quests. That will cause the story quest to jump to CE, and immediately after that either to CE or TE. Only after taking the first FE sector is it safe to complete a RQ or side quest.

CE Troops (PME only)
If you are in PME, you will receive the full CE questline, which includes the CE tech blocker quests. To avoid this, you must scout the cMap as shown below, skipping two of the provinces.
Skip the provinces that are marked in red.
z70aYfp.png

After doing so, if you want TE troops complete the CE story and continue onto the TE map. If you want to skip the TE troops to save an extra tech, scout the TE map as shown below and take the first FE provinces before completing the CE story.
Skip the provinces marked in red.
yIQX9Pi.png

The CE story will ask you to scout one of the skipped provinces, but this is fine. Just don't take it! Make sure to abort through recurring quests as you progress through the story, since there are a good amount of CE side quests that give units that can trigger as you move through the story. You can get 2 Missile Artillery (artillery units), 2 Attack Helicopters, (fast units), 2 Assault Tanks (heavy units), and 3 Anti-Aircraft Vehicles (ranged units). The CE story will need 1 tech to be researched.

After the CE story, if you didn't scout the TE map you will receive the TE story questline. If you instead scouted the TE map as shown above, you will skip to the FE story line.

Also, note that by negotiating all 4 of the Sheik's provinces (Amaryah City, Khail, Batif, and Hafar Al Karak), you will receive more diamonds from the CE storyline.

It is possible to receive the 2 Attack Helicopters (fast units) side quest in ages as early as ME, but the conditions to trigger this quest are unknown.

TE Troops
If you chose to receive the TE troops in an age lower than PME, you should be able to receive 2 Combat Drones (fast units), 2 Stealth Tanks (heavy units), 2 Anti Materiel Snipers (ranged units), and 1 TE Champion (heavy unit). Special thanks goes to @Xivarmy and KingJMobile for figuring this out.

If you chose to skip over the TE questline to go for Hover Tanks first and want to go back to receive TE troops, you can do so. After finishing the FE storyline (or further, as long as you do not reach the quest Persuasion in OF that will tech block you), scout and take the first skipped province in TE, and the questline should jump to TE. Take the remaining TE skipped provinces as well and complete the questline. You should get the units described in the paragraph above.

If you are in PME or CE, you should be able to receive the entire TE questline and all the troops. On the TE cMap, be sure to fight sectors of Torrinhos. This will yield additional troops, namely 2 Anti-Materiel Snipers (ranged units) and 2 Ultra AP (light units). In total, the player can gain 4 Microwave Blaster (artillery units), 4 Anti-Materiel Snipers (ranged units), 2 Ultra AP (light units), 4 Stealth Tank (heavy units), and 2 Combat Drones (fast units), and 1 Champion (heavy units).

No matter what age the player is in, the TE story requires one technology to be researched.

Also, as a side note, a TE cultural building, the Surveillance Nexus, can be given from a side quest after taking Rio Roxo in ages as early as InA!

FE Troops (Hover Tanks)
Once you start the FE story, to get the extra 3 Hover Tanks, be sure to negotiate Agadar, the first province owned by Joy Danba. Then, later on the cMap, be sure to negotiate in Kalabuye (the second province owned by Joy Danba) and to not completely take either Bisoraba or Kalabuye before receiving the 3 Hover Tanks quest "Greetings from a Friend." Once you get the Hover Tanks, it no longer matters whether you fight or negotiate the rest of Kalabuye. Danba's provinces are marked in green on the map below.
Make sure to negotiate these to get extra hover tanks!
OhVDKIU.png

Only take sectors as requested by the FE storyline. Especially, do not take the province Kolaburg completely until the quest "Down the Rabbit Hole," as otherwise you will have to research an additional technology. Also, be sure to take sectors of Fort Buntu by force, since this will yield 2 Rail Gun (artillery units) and 2 Satellite Spotter (ranged units).

Also, if the player receives the quest "An Old Acquaintance," they will receive an additional 3 Exoskeleton Soldier (light units). It is not quite known how this quest can exactly be triggered, or what causes it not to be triggered. I got this quest when negotiating all the FE provinces.

In total, the player can gain 4 Hover Tanks (heavy units), 6 Exoskeleton Soldier (light units), 2 Drone Swarm (fast units), 2 Rail Gun (artillery units), and 2 Satellite Spotter (ranged units). The FE story requires 3 techs to be researched, 4 if the player takes Kolaburg completely before the quest "Down the Rabbit Hole."

After the story quests jump to FE, the story follows along normally. The player is not tech blocked after they skip the CE blocker until they reach the end of the OF story. To see more information on the AF and OF stories, troops, and cMaps, see Part 5. The only real limiter past this point is the number of techs the player has left to research for quests.
I'm trying to follow the guide, but not sure I'm doing it correctly. I'm in INA and have earned the PME troops. I have the "Truth or Dare" and 2 RQ quests open. I've just started taking over the CE map (scouting Batif now). At what point will the Story Quest return? Have I messed up somehow? Thanks!

UBERhelp1

I'm trying to follow the guide, but not sure I'm doing it correctly. I'm in INA and have earned the PME troops. I have the "Truth or Dare" and 2 RQ quests open. I've just started taking over the CE map (scouting Batif now). At what point will the Story Quest return? Have I messed up somehow? Thanks!
You'll get the story quests back after you abort an RQ/side quest after reaching the TE or FE map (depending on if you want TE troops or not). So far it sounds like you're doing it right :)

Cyrus the Adequate

Question:

I'm in Industrial. I got the Rapid Fire Cannon, and have cleared the map through Natsuishu, currently fighting in Kyushima.

I seem to be blocked in Story Quest at "Peace Conference". How do I get PE resi buildings? I have no resi building tech left to unlock in IA.....am I stuck permanently, or is there a way out?