• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Horsemen, good or bad?

DeletedUser

Are horsemen good or bad? I personally think that they are worthless as they can only take two hits and then they're dead. So tell me what you think.

Kirk55

DeletedUser34

Not my personal preference, but that by no means means they suck.

DeletedUser34

depends on your playing style I guess.
If you are more into attacking first and you are attacking say, slingers...I can see where they might be ok....

DeletedUser

Yeah, I guess they could be useful for that, but they will promptly get kill by two other slingers that are there. Then you'll spend an hour or more and a lot of supplies and gold to train more of them who will get killed two hits later. Seems like a waste of supplies, gold, and time to me.

DeletedUser

One example where horseman will win is against all long range. It frustrates me when someone has 8 horsemen out there haha.

For example, if I send out a mixture of Trebuckets and Catapults then the opposing army of 8 Knights will win (I believe it typically takes at least 3 hits to kill a knight with long range and they will reach your back row realtively quick given certain terrain setups). It all depends on what the opponent has out there.

DeletedUser

But if your against mercenaries and armored infantry your dead.

DeletedUser

It's all in the nature of pros and cons of each troop. Sometimes you can scout the opponents neighborhood ahead of time and make an educated guess like domino hints at. Sometimes you can't.

Generally, my trebuckets will rip apart heavy infantry before they reach me. Heavy infantry will kill the horsemen. The horsemen will kill my trebuckets. Around and around it goes.

DeletedUser

See now i use mounted troops.. and i use at least 3 in defense along with siege engines (3) and to light melee.. the result is if someone attacks me with ranged troops which over 50% of ppl do because everyone keeps screaming its the best offense then guess what happens? they lose and i counter attack with my own mix. 4 heavy melee and 4 long range... and i slaughter them with 0-2 casualties.. and plunder their chit for trying me in the first place.

- - - Updated - - -

Edit: and since i countered their good range units are usually all dead from trying to attack me first.. now if i watch the vid and see they just retreated i use a different mix.. lol

DeletedUser

They are fun to play with if you know what the enemy have. But since most light troops got bonus against them. There most like suicide troops
Also the building takes more place. I think the spearman should get weaker and horsemen get stronger.

DeletedUser2699

long range is still the best offence.
I kill your long range in the first round, and kill your horse the second round.
zero casualty.
heavy melee for defense is a joke. I can kite them forever

DeletedUser

They are good to draw your opponent off to the side so you are not being attacked with the whole force. The horse can stay out of reach. But really this is so limited and the cost of having them is so great that I don't bother with them anymore.

They are also good to look for in the territorial battles as they are pretty easy to knock off even when they are the next level up.

DeletedUser2382

They are good against ranged units, both siege and archers. That being said, I've never bothered once making them, basically cause the they aren't good at anything else and the real estate is simply too valuable. Nice for defense, but there's other ways to defend. I'd rather just send my own ranged units and throw some light melee in there when i have to take out horsemen.

DeletedUser

Every troop is an excellent useful piece of the puzzle in your tactics. Always use a universal army, never just stick 8 troops of the same one in your army, use strategy! I mainly use horsemen type units to keep my enemies running around the map so they don't reach my catapults and archers. Horsemen type units are excellent for SUPPORT damage, (like a killing blow to an enemy you just hit) they should NEVER be used for main combat unless your opponent has a bunch of catapults and archers, as they do die very quickly. I have not tried heavy cavalry yet, but they look like they might be useful for combat. Hopefully.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser2382

I never build 'em. That being said I usually attack with ranged (especially trebuchets) so I reeeeally hate seeing horsemen. They're not a bad deterent when thrown on defense if you getting attacked by a lot of ranged units. Of course then those same players will just send melee units and take 'em out like that. Like I said, I never build 'em.

DeletedUser3364

Against an 8 Trebuchet attack? (Which seems to be the Lazy PvP auto-win generator, BTW)
4-8 Horse Archers _ Rule!_
Even if they Win (inevitably?) There is _SO_ much satisfaction
in watching 3-4 trebuchets evaporate during insta-replay...

DeletedUser

That's true but I think I'll stick with my no-horsemen policy. :)
Horsemen are a no-no. But as you progress in the game, horse-type units will become very vital. as i said, it is wise to have a UNIVERSAL army to work with.

DeletedUser

It looks like you guys never used heavy knights or dragoons yet. Maybe you'll change your mind when you use them.