• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

How do members progress without advancing their age?

grampa52

I have noticed that there are members who have multimillions of points and built 20+ GBs yet haven't advanced their age past EMA or HMA. How do they do that, and more importantly, Why?

grampa52

I would think that there are more disadvantages to doing that, but there are a lot of members who have done that.

BruteForceAttack

I have noticed that there are members who have multimillions of points and built 20+ GBs yet haven't advanced their age past EMA or HMA. How do they do that, and more importantly, Why?

Players can play on multiple servers, many folks have 1-2 main worlds are rest are used for farming diamonds. In diamond world they focus only of getting as many wishing wells/foy and completing GE. So they park is one of the lower/easy age where they can do GE all levels easily.

Reese7990

The longer a player stays (or camps as it is popularly referred too) the more powerful they become. With the help of a guild with advanced players, events, GE and now Gbg one can accumulate quite the stock of gbs, fp producing buildings, and even future era units by working the map. The player will be hindered by points, higher eras = more points for everything. But a player can comfortably build a strong city, with a strong infrastructure this makes advancing eras easier. I wait till I have enough goods, fps and strength to advance several eras at once to the next ideal era to camp. I play this way for my own strategy. I do not bother my neighbors unless they choose to bother me.

Oh and the biggest challenge is size. Have too maximize those expansions.

OutlawDon

Players can play on multiple servers, many folks have 1-2 main worlds are rest are used for farming diamonds. In diamond world they focus only of getting as many wishing wells/foy and completing GE. So they park is one of the lower/easy age where they can do GE all levels easily.
Thanks. I had realized that you could concentrate on wishing wells, but had not thought about GE.

Reese7990

You do not need Diamonds or multiple servers to suceed in this method. I only play in one server, and may occasionally puchase diamonds during events when they offer the event currency as well. But for the most part F2P. What you certainly need to play this way is patience, perseverance and a plan. A great guild is a huge help as well. As you will have to trade/purchase with fps future era goods to build gbs that are far more advanced then your city.

Why I like this method..? As I have advanced in eras it always strikes me how many of my fellow hoodmates seemingly advanced far to fast, got stuck, finding they did not possess the infastructure to succeed in their era, struggle to get to lvl 3 and especially lvl 4 in GE where the best prizes are. What they leave behind are struggling abandoned cities, unable to unlock the games full potential. These cities are the majority, not the minority.

I often teach new players the Mantra that this game is a marathon not a sprint. You go too far too fast you will surely get stuck. Find yourself a small low powered city in a hood with players 100+ million points ahead of you. This is not only discouraging but each era becomes more difficult, so its far more difficult and expensive to try to grow your city further in the game. To me this is the equivalence of learning to ride a bike one day and then going to the stunt park the next day. You will fail..miserably. First become an expert at the basics then advance to the tricks!

DeletedUser36572

Why ...

It’s the opposite of finding yourself in Colonial Age, with nothing more than an Oracle of Delphi ... Wondering why you never have enough space for your plethora of Houses, countless Production Buildings, abundance of Goods or Troop Buildings, and all the garbage you need to add to keep your bloated and poorly managed city Happy ... While you cannot seem to do 64 encounters of Guild Expeditions, suck at Challenges and Battlegrounds, never seem to have enough stuff to complete all the Event Quests, and wonder why other players don’t have the same problems.

Duh ... There’s a reason Great Buildings such as the Tower of Babel and Cathedral of Aachen are added and available to level when they are offered ... Chasing rainbows is good, but knowing where to look for the pot of gold, and what to do with it when you find it ... Is Better.

Run Forrest Run

Emberguard

To me this is the equivalence of learning to ride a bike one day and then going to the stunt park the next day. You will fail..miserably. First become an expert at the basics then advance to the tricks!
To me becoming a expert at the basics means starting with never using advanced GBs, never buying diamonds and always improving your city layout skills. If you can thrive without a crutch to make things easier then you’ll never have a deficit problem once you decide to switch to advanced GBs and buy diamonds.

If on the other hand you only know how to play with advanced GBs and lots of diamonds you’re going to struggle unless you planned ahead sufficiently. The moment you reach a point where diamonds won’t help you and the advanced GBs are no longer advanced you’ll know whether you have to relearn the entire game or if your city can still survive. (But I’d rather learn it properly the first time)

I do agree on what you said about players advancing without being prepared though. For my first city where I chose to play without advanced GBs I got the same impression when people kept coming to me saying they ran out of goods. Meanwhile my city had thousands in each age and producing more

DeletedUser36572

I do agree on what you said about players advancing without being prepared though. For my first city where I chose to play without advanced GBs I got the same impression when people kept coming to me saying they ran out of goods. Meanwhile my city had thousands in each age and producing more

Thirty weeks ago, I got roped into helping a Guild full of players, who were spread out between Early Middle Ages and Colonial Age. They had nothing more than Oracles of Delphi and maybe a Statue of Zeus here and there. They also had large, bloated and inefficient cities.

They didn’t have the Goods or Troops necessary to really compete, or even complete Guild Expeditions. They didn’t have all the support mechanisms that provide the ability to recognize sufficient gains in Challenges or Events. Battlegrounds was a complete wash for them with little resources to draw on.

With a little redirection, they slowly started to recognize the importance of paying attention to short-term actions that provide long-term gains (like the regular grind to gather prints and then level a Lighthouse of Alexandria).

Since the introduction of “better practices”, the Guild has never placed below 2nd in Guild Expeditions, and in 30 weeks will have gone from level 1 to level 30 (after Battlegrounds ... Currently competing strong in Gold League).

The Members weren’t enjoying the game, because they thought there was some kind of significance in Aging your city up ... Didn’t understand that building a foundation that supports enjoying all the opportunities the game offers, was far more important ... And that as their foundation grows, it compounds in nature, making everything in every aspect of the game both easier and more enjoyable.

There Is No ‘End’ or ‘Finish Line‘
In Forge of Empires

Emberguard

Yeah learning how to run your city no matter what the circumstances are is far more important then just ageing up. This game is basically anticipating your needs ahead of time and adapting using whatever you have available

Reese7990

If you haplessly follow the storylines and questlines, you will quickly f8nd yourself in the above scenarios. The quests do not stress the importance of great buildings and the roll they play in your cities.

@Ember. Perhaps you missread my post. I do not purchase diamonds with the exception of 3 puchases over 2 years of playing during events. My city has been developed through free2play means. I do possess 2 charcoal expresses though in part to my purchase.

Great buildings are not a crutch. They are part of the game, and utilization of them is key to unlocking the full potential of the game. Unlocking a lvl 80 Arc opens up paths unavailable to players who have not achieved this. Unlocking lvl 10 of zeus, Cdm and CoA changes GE drastically. Unlocking the Traz even more so.

Almost as important is utilizing events and the antique shop to pinpoint your cities purpose. Are you a goods producer? A fighter? A merchant with a plethora of fps? Or balanced. Its vital to decide your purpose then get the gbs, event buildings and other special buildings to help you. Per example as a fighter, I removed my Terrace Farms. costing me a little in fp production, but replaced the space with Checkmate squares, botanical rotundas, and carousels. I earn far more fp rewards now in Guild Battlegrounds than my Terrace Farms could have given me.

Emberguard

Great buildings are not a crutch. They are part of the game, and utilization of them is key to unlocking the full potential of the game.
I meant advanced GBs were the crutch, not GBs in general. If you use advanced GBs from the start then you’ll never get a feel for how each age was balanced for the tools available to that age.

Edit: For example: If you get a Himeji in Iron Age you’ll never have a supply problem in Iron Age. But then you don’t really get to learn how to balance your supply production if a single GB is already providing several months or maybe even a years worth every day. I love advanced GBs and what they offer. But I’d never suggest someone should go straight for it until they know the game well enough that doing so wouldn’t set them up to fail later on if those advanced GBs are no longer enough on their own.

A lighthouse on the other hand would be perfectly reasonable for a beginner in Iron Age to get. The game was balanced with that in mind

Last edited:

DeletedUser40777

My first city I advanced too quickly in order to have the military to compete on the Continent Map to earn expansions. (I realized too late that there will always be armies from the next age). I added a second city and joined a great guild. Lots of communication, swaps, trades within guild. Focus is on building guild strength. Everyone is LMA or lower but we’re in GBG platinum and always in top 3 GE. My city produces lots of FPs, coins & supplies but I never seem able to have large supply inventory like others who have 2000-3000 from some ages.
I have kept goods buildings all but the earliest ages but negotiations deplete them quickly.

DeletedUser40777

Cont- I have all current age military buildings, bonus of 90 but against next age mil I never win so have to negotiate to get expansions.
Guild has helped me get most useful GBs from ages close to my own.
How the heck do you get such a large goods inventory? I really am baffled.
I don’t plunder. I’d like to get rid of most goods buildings but until I have another way to collect goods, I can’t. Advice? Tips?

UBERhelp1

Cont- I have all current age military buildings, bonus of 90 but against next age mil I never win so have to negotiate to get expansions.
Guild has helped me get most useful GBs from ages close to my own.
How the heck do you get such a large goods inventory? I really am baffled.
I don’t plunder. I’d like to get rid of most goods buildings but until I have another way to collect goods, I can’t. Advice? Tips?
The easiest way to not have to deal with goods is to fight. Build up your attack power, get a Traz, use rogues. Manually battle as much as possible, if losing units is your problem. The beginning of the game can be tricky, but eventually it begins to get easier.

Nicholas002

Doing Recurring Quests can be a very efficient way to get goods, if your city is set up for it, (having a Chateau sure helps as well).
This Strategy is certainly not for everyone, and it is slightly outdated, but its concepts can still be applied, and for me at least, it made me see the game differently.