• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Question] how do you feel about plundering?

DeletedUser8152

Then perhaps it make sense for you. I can say with some certainty that the people I find with 2 spears are not in that position.

DeletedUser10415

Then perhaps it make sense for you. I can say with some certainty that the people I find with 2 spears are not in that position.

Ah, but people with 2 spears are rarely (if ever) my competitors.

Last edited by a moderator:

cbalto1927

I am one of those people who has Traz which cranks out units on daily basis, So fighting then plundering my hoods becomes so easy. It is one of the major advantages of having Traz in your cities.

DeletedUser10415

I fought my 'hood as much before I had a 'traz. 2/3 of my city was barracks. :eek:

DeletedUser14197

If you are ambitious, you change your city defense occasionally to keep your neighbors guessing. Put in 2 spearsman, than after awhile, put in the best you have, etc.... Than they never know what they are going to be up against. I used to attack my neighbors and I actually took notes. I knew what people had and I knew what I could beat them with and I participated in more than one tower. I didn't plunder as I am really not into that and had no need for anyone elses goods at the time anyway as I produced my own in abundance. However, I got BORED with attacking neighbors. It was not a challenge. I didn't attack those who could turn around and beat me. I could win against a large numbers of my neighbors. At any rate, it was boring. I put it on auto fight most the time and only fought myself when I was up against a city that was challenging, which wasn't very often.

DeletedUser9433

Last shuffle placed me in the strangest neighborhood yet. 5 of us in FE and the remaining 76 players in LMA or lower! Talk about a cakewalk in the majority of the towers plus am able to fill some holes in my lower age goods. Thank you Inno. please keep this neighborhood in tact.

DeletedUser25815

I would not be playing this game if it did not include plundering.

I was surprised by folks who said they did not know it was a war game. I actually went looking for advertising to see what INNO was selling. The answer is they are advertising this game as different things to different demographics. I play on-line combat based games. There are obviously enough "cookies" in my profile that INNO advertised this as a war game to me. For folks who don't have that in their internet profile, INNO seems to advertise it as some kind of Sim-Civilization game.

That said, here is the text of the game blurb in Google Play:

"Come and play Forge of Empires! Take control over a city and become the leader of an aspiring kingdom. Guide it through the ages, research new technologies, expand your empire and live through an epic story. Battle other players and prove your skills as king and warlord."

If you downloaded this game and were surprised that it included combat, I would suggest you read more closely. "Battle other players..." and "... warlord." are pretty clear descriptions IMHO.

Regarding the "plunder" aspect of the game, it simply is a must that there is a reward for successful combat. Without it, there will be no motivation for players to fight and then no battles or warlords. An essential part of the game (by description) would be missing. Does the loot have to come from the target? If it did not, there would be no incentive to defend. Without an incentive to defend, the game again stops having any kind of meaningful combat.

So, for the folks who don't like to be plundered or have a moral / ethical issue with it, I suggest you work on your reading comprehension skills while you go in search of a game that does not include "battle" or "warlord" in it's description. If you plan to stay, I recommend you spend some effort figuring out how to minimize your losses when I attack and plunder you. I will continue to do so, every 24 hours, until you are no longer in my neighborhood or I can no longer gain a profit by plundering you. Nothing personal, just playing the game the way it is designed to be played.

DeletedUser25895

I haven't read through this thread, but from the title this is a good place to post my observations on plundering.

Plundering is an integral part of the game by design.
It appeals to a fairly large subset of players that practice it regularly.
Fact of life in FoE, learn to deal with it or move on.
You have no other choice.
Whining and crying about it will get you nothing, ... deal with it.

I've only been here a very few weeks and my observations so far:
Those that make their living on FoE by plundering use the Aid function to scout the neighborhood for potential plunder resources.
Then, they'll make an attack to assess the defense setup of their potential victims.
If they get in on the first try, great.
If not, they'll tailor their attack force to defeat your defense setup on the next try.
Being as they don't need them, because plundering is their main source of income, they usually do not have much in the line of resources for retaliation by plundering them.
The only defense against being plundered, that I can see, is to make plundering you cost ineffective.
Make them have high losses and small returns.
They should move on to easier pickings.
Although, they will probably come back and check you out every so often.
Eternal vigilance is your best defense.

Algona

My advice is to temper the previous post with the knowledge that the poster is new in game. 'Twill be funny to read their posts after a few bad hood shuffles.

As always, the best way to handle being plundered:

(sing it with me my sisters and brothers!)

Collect On Time.

DeletedUser25895

Collecting on time and changing your defense, especially after the repeat plunderer has Aided you again, are obviously the best places to start [high losses and small returns], both of which come under the heading of eternal vigilance. That's how you make it cost ineffective.

DeletedUser14197

I would not be playing this game if it did not include plundering.

I was surprised by folks who said they did not know it was a war game. I actually went looking for advertising to see what INNO was selling. The answer is they are advertising this game as different things to different demographics. I play on-line combat based games. There are obviously enough "cookies" in my profile that INNO advertised this as a war game to me. For folks who don't have that in their internet profile, INNO seems to advertise it as some kind of Sim-Civilization game.

That said, here is the text of the game blurb in Google Play:

"Come and play Forge of Empires! Take control over a city and become the leader of an aspiring kingdom. Guide it through the ages, research new technologies, expand your empire and live through an epic story. Battle other players and prove your skills as king and warlord."

If you downloaded this game and were surprised that it included combat, I would suggest you read more closely. "Battle other players..." and "... warlord." are pretty clear descriptions IMHO.

Regarding the "plunder" aspect of the game, it simply is a must that there is a reward for successful combat. Without it, there will be no motivation for players to fight and then no battles or warlords. An essential part of the game (by description) would be missing. Does the loot have to come from the target? If it did not, there would be no incentive to defend. Without an incentive to defend, the game again stops having any kind of meaningful combat.

So, for the folks who don't like to be plundered or have a moral / ethical issue with it, I suggest you work on your reading comprehension skills while you go in search of a game that does not include "battle" or "warlord" in it's description. If you plan to stay, I recommend you spend some effort figuring out how to minimize your losses when I attack and plunder you. I will continue to do so, every 24 hours, until you are no longer in my neighborhood or I can no longer gain a profit by plundering you. Nothing personal, just playing the game the way it is designed to be played.

I don't think this is the total issue. I hate it when people say take it or quit. Are you sure FOE wants everyone who gets aggravated with the plundering to quit? No, you can play and enjoy the game even if it didn't involve plundering. Yes, the game does include plundering an it is not going to go away. Perhaps they minimized the aspect in their ads about plundering cause they didn't want to discourage anyone from trying the game. So if they didn't come right out and say, come play this game and get plundered, maybe many didn't realize that it would be an issue. PERHAPS, people thought they would be on equal ground with those attacking them. Perhaps they didn't realize that they might get put into a nieghborhood with people AGES higher than they were who there was NO HOPE of doing anything about it, and believe me I have been in the same neighborhood for ages in some of my cities, at least the main attackers have stayed the same. And personally, it would be nice if the game had something to help people who can't plan their life around a game. Say the baby gets sick or your aging parents need you. You can't put your buildings on hold even though you know you won't be back in time to collect. Just because the day before, you think you can be back in time to collect, doesn't mean it will exactly work out that way. Remember, when you die, your kids are not going to say, my mom did great in FOE. They are going to be more concerned with how you related to them, and that does not include, "sorry, kids I have a game to play and need to collect or I may get plundered." So,yes, the game is enjoyable to many people, including me. Yes, I like it enough to keep playing it though there is plundering, though becaus eof the plundering, I did quit playing actively 5 of my 6 cities. So, yes, I am still playing, and No, I do not plan on totally quitting right now, but, yes, I will still voice my opinions on the unequal neighborhoods, and the people who pretty much tell others they are whining and complaining about plundering when the forum is exactly for this purpose, voicing ones opinion, positive and negative and no one should be called a complainer or a whinner just because they do what the forum is for and no one should be told to quit

cbalto1927

I don't think this is the total issue. I hate it when people say take it or quit. Are you sure FOE wants everyone who gets aggravated with the plundering to quit? No, you can play and enjoy the game even if it didn't involve plundering. Yes, the game does include plundering an it is not going to go away. Perhaps they minimized the aspect in their ads about plundering cause they didn't want to discourage anyone from trying the game. So if they didn't come right out and say, come play this game and get plundered, maybe many didn't realize that it would be an issue. PERHAPS, people thought they would be on equal ground with those attacking them. Perhaps they didn't realize that they might get put into a nieghborhood with people AGES higher than they were who there was NO HOPE of doing anything about it, and believe me I have been in the same neighborhood for ages in some of my cities, at least the main attackers have stayed the same. And personally, it would be nice if the game had something to help people who can't plan their life around a game. Say the baby gets sick or your aging parents need you. You can't put your buildings on hold even though you know you won't be back in time to collect. Just because the day before, you think you can be back in time to collect, doesn't mean it will exactly work out that way. Remember, when you die, your kids are not going to say, my mom did great in FOE. They are going to be more concerned with how you related to them, and that does not include, "sorry, kids I have a game to play and need to collect or I may get plundered." So,yes, the game is enjoyable to many people, including me. Yes, I like it enough to keep playing it though there is plundering, though becaus eof the plundering, I did quit playing actively 5 of my 6 cities. So, yes, I am still playing, and No, I do not plan on totally quitting right now, but, yes, I will still voice my opinions on the unequal neighborhoods, and the people who pretty much tell others they are whining and complaining about plundering when the forum is exactly for this purpose, voicing ones opinion, positive and negative and no one should be called a complainer or a whinner just because they do what the forum is for and no one should be told to quit

Just a reminder that INNO is not interested into changing the neighborhood issue. It has been 3 years and nothing is being done. The best thing you can do besides collect on-time is to build up defenses. Level up 2 Defensive GB's to the max if you have to. If a player is ages beyond you, then you could put all your FP into research tech's until you match the age of the player. Special Events such as Easter or Christmas offered watchfires, Defensive buildings such as Lion's Den also helps. If you see a Diamond sale that includes watchfires, grab it while you can. Bottom line is there is nothing anyone can do in this forum to get INNO to change the neighborhood issue. I don't mean to be harsh but it is time to accept the fact that plundering/neighborhood issue isn't going away. We long time players are getting tired of helping newer players every time they complain about plundering or unfair neighborhoods. I was a new player once, and after a year i learned and adapt to the game.

DeletedUser

I plunder whenever I get the chance, and I attack the hood often. The reason is I am basically getting goods for free. My boosts and armies are significantly higher than the majority of my hood. I mow through 40 of them in my spare time. The goods I get from CA and above are all useful for making higher age goods, and saves me space/time/resources producing those goods if I plunder the same good types often enough. The stuff below CA can all be traded to people in guild who are still advancing through low tech and getting early great buildings. Maps can require a very wide range of goods to negotiate as well, having a nice stock that your hood made for you makes that easier.
Anything not used goes into the treasury, which the guild uses to GvG and earn more points.

I laugh at anyone who tried to make a moral argument about not doing this. Not only is it totally illogical NOT to plunder, having your goods plundered is 100% avoidable. You simply do the 24 hour productions for when you can log on and collect them. If you stay within 10 min of that, anyone in your hood who wanted to plunder you would have to be EXTREMELY lucky to catch your productions up. Its even easier to handle this with the game being on phones now. If you wanna gripe about people defaming players or sending hate mail or using spies to spend an enemies treasury, those are things I could agree are morally wrong even in a game. But preventable plunder? No

DeletedUser14197

Just a reminder that INNO is not interested into changing the neighborhood issue. It has been 3 years and nothing is being done. The best thing you can do besides collect on-time is to build up defenses. Level up 2 Defensive GB's to the max if you have to. If a player is ages beyond you, then you could put all your FP into research tech's until you match the age of the player. Special Events such as Easter or Christmas offered watchfires, Defensive buildings such as Lion's Den also helps. If you see a Diamond sale that includes watchfires, grab it while you can. Bottom line is there is nothing anyone can do in this forum to get INNO to change the neighborhood issue. I don't mean to be harsh but it is time to accept the fact that plundering/neighborhood issue isn't going away. We long time players are getting tired of helping newer players every time they complain about plundering or unfair neighborhoods. I was a new player once, and after a year i learned and adapt to the game.

You don't have to remind me of this. I know this very well.

This is part of the problem. For some reason people can't seem to understand that one can complain (forums are for positive and negative comments) and not like one aspect of the game and stll enjoy the game. I adapted. I quit playing seriously 5 of my cities, leaving only 1 that I produce goods on. It is a lot easier to collect on time if one is only doing one city. Also, if I think there is a chance I can't, I simply don't produce. I still play. I still think the neighborhood system is ridiculous. In one of my cities, there were players ages higher than me Your suggestions don't work. You have an Industrial age player up against someone who is future age. The future age persons gbs are already way over level 10 and they have tons of watchfires. Tell me, do you really think that person is going to stand still while you progress? Not likely. Not only that, they are getting more fps a day than the lower level player. I wanted watchfires and wasn't able to get that many at the past event, no way could I catch up to some higher level player who have tons of them. Why should I give them points for fighting me when there is no way to catch up and no way to retaliate? I simply quit the city. If they had changed my neighborhood in a reasonable amount of time, that would have been different. At any rate, there is a rather simple solution if you are here when a new city comes out. Start a city in the new one where you will be one of the first ones there. Than you can be the one doing the attacking and plundering. Go for it!

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser14197

I plunder whenever I get the chance, and I attack the hood often. The reason is I am basically getting goods for free. My boosts and armies are significantly higher than the majority of my hood. I mow through 40 of them in my spare time. The goods I get from CA and above are all useful for making higher age goods, and saves me space/time/resources producing those goods if I plunder the same good types often enough. The stuff below CA can all be traded to people in guild who are still advancing through low tech and getting early great buildings. Maps can require a very wide range of goods to negotiate as well, having a nice stock that your hood made for you makes that easier.
Anything not used goes into the treasury, which the guild uses to GvG and earn more points.

I laugh at anyone who tried to make a moral argument about not doing this. Not only is it totally illogical NOT to plunder, having your goods plundered is 100% avoidable. You simply do the 24 hour productions for when you can log on and collect them. If you stay within 10 min of that, anyone in your hood who wanted to plunder you would have to be EXTREMELY lucky to catch your productions up. Its even easier to handle this with the game being on phones now. If you wanna gripe about people defaming players or sending hate mail or using spies to spend an enemies treasury, those are things I could agree are morally wrong even in a game. But preventable plunder? No

I am pretty sure I was plundered once within 10 minutes and I have heard complaints more than once of people saying they were plundered while they were collecting. I remember thinking it seemed like the person knew when my goods were ready, but perhaps they simply got lucky, like you said. Some people can change their collection times, but some can't change them all that much.

DeletedUser

I plunder and am plundered as well, just a part of the game. Have played other similar war games where buildings in your city get destroyed when you get defeated in addition to the loss of defenders. I like the FOE approach much better.

Czari

If you are ambitious, you change your city defense occasionally to keep your neighbors guessing. Put in 2 spearsman, than after awhile, put in the best you have, etc.... Than they never know what they are going to be up against. I used to attack my neighbors and I actually took notes. I knew what people had and I knew what I could beat them with and I participated in more than one tower.

I do the same thing - I have a list of the neighbors I attack (I don't attack anyone who aids my city) and their defense. Each time I attack the same city, I first check to see if it has advanced in age, any updated military buildings, etc. If not, I am prepared for what the defense was the previous time and 99.9% of the time the defense never changes...and I'm talking like for two months!! Makes selecting my offense VERY easy! For those who want to set a good defense, and I highly recommend that, mix it up at least every couple of weeks, but once a week is better and, if you're getting attacked daily, mix it up daily.

cbalto1927

I do the same thing - I have a list of the neighbors I attack (I don't attack anyone who aids my city) and their defense. Each time I attack the same city, I first check to see if it has advanced in age, any updated military buildings, etc. If not, I am prepared for what the defense was the previous time and 99.9% of the time the defense never changes...and I'm talking like for two months!! Makes selecting my offense VERY easy! For those who want to set a good defense, and I highly recommend that, mix it up at least every couple of weeks, but once a week is better and, if you're getting attacked daily, mix it up daily.

Simply put, i choose the best defense with the most current armies with my era. The reason i see no reasons to change up the defense because nobody in my neighborhood gets passed my defense. I attack and plunder the hell out of all the neighborhood regardless they aid me or not. I knew they never could get passed of my defense.