• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

How do You handle Unwanted Donations?

Volodya

What he said. ^^

Some people try to find self-levelers and gain awards that way; I personally don't have that much patience. I've also noticed that there are people who place 1 FP on many GBs; the same name/s show up on my GBs, my guildmates' GBs, sometimes my friends and neighborhood GBs. I dub this the "shotgun method." I wonder how many times the 1 FP on a kazillion GBs actually pays off.
I do this sometimes, although not so much hoping for a reward for my one point investment. I do it mostly as a place-holder/reminder or to reserve a spot on a GB that may rotate out of my neighborhood. All that said, I'm constantly amazed how often one or two points does pay off with a nice reward.

DeletedUser32389

When I relentlessly plunder someone I usually drop at least one point on a building so they remember me. These players have either straight stopped on that building to deny me a return, or they continue to self level and I make a profit. Very few are smart enough (or in a active guild) to put the building up on the threads and push me off the podium. #ColdBlooded

DeletedUser34538

I’m constantly searching for BP and yes I put 1 FP on A LOT of GBs just to have them on my list for easy reference. When I see someone start leveling that GB up is when I ask if it is ok that I can jump in or set something up with them. Seems to be working out ok. And I never would think that I’d make someone feel bad about a free FP and if they never level the GB it’s not that big of a loss. I hope that would’ve been ok with people. I’m not doing it maliciously that’s for sure.

DeletedUser31592

Just noticed that someone on W world in my friend's list has spent 1307 fp's on my Arc over the last 8 levels. Haven't heard a peep from him about it, I just hope he keeps it up.

My CF has been leveled three levels now by a combination of friends and guildmates. I LOVE it.
My OBS in Yorktown is at 6 or 7. I don't think I contributed 100 FPs to the thing. People still slowly add to it.

DeletedUser31440

My CF has been leveled three levels now by a combination of friends and guildmates. I LOVE it.
My OBS in Yorktown is at 6 or 7. I don't think I contributed 100 FPs to the thing. People still slowly add to it.

I got on the Obs train on Y the first day they started showing up, have spent 453 fp's on it out of the 1470 fp's to get it up to level 7. Definitely worth the diamonds spent on the bp's that first day.

DeletedUser29623

While I ordinarily am happy to get any FP donations, people in my hood seem to be leveling up my Inno Tower and I will not have the happiness to maintain enthusiasm if they do. So I’m going to have to put two more levels on my FoD to offset it.

DeletedUser30312

Getting population buildings leveled when you're unprepared is the only real downside, especially if it's the Hab or Inno.

DeletedUser26532

Just noticed that someone on W world in my friend's list has spent 1307 fp's on my Arc over the last 8 levels. Haven't heard a peep from him about it, I just hope he keeps it up.

I think I can do you one better.

I put up the Blue Galaxy when it came out to test it.

Excluding 60 Fp to get it to level 1, I'm on level 7 and half-way to level 8 without spending more than 10 FP to double dip at each level.

Man. If only every GB was that easy to level

DeletedUser34517

a) Technically, there are no 'game' rules, just etiquette. Every now and then, some people debate on if a GB owner should have control over the level up portion, but that's about it. You wouldn't ever get in trouble with the game devs for leveling up a GB.

b) Popular protocol/etiquette is exactly as the 'friendly' hoodie suggested. Don't level a GB that has a collection reward so the owner can maximize their gains from it. Temple of Relics and Statue of Zues are exceptions, because they are GBs without a collection. This protocol could be enforced in guilds, so make sure to be aware of how your guild leadership handles it.

So, if you want to follow that protocol, make sure to calculate your sniping for contribution rewards around leaving the final FP up to the owner to place. Or, since the game allows for it, you can purposely flip others GBs in your hood to maximize your salt collection.

DeletedUser34517

I am now a year older, wiser, and much more experienced in FOE. So, I would offer this reply.

Although, as you say, "sniping for contribution rewards" may cause the recipient to miss the critical timing of the "last" FP and the subsequent collection, I would argue that by contributing (or "sniping") many more FP's, I am actually affording the recipient the opportunity to avail him/herself with many more and much earlier collections, by accelerating the leveling of the GB. So, although this may be the accepted "etiquette" in the purest sense, it seems somewhat short-sighted by the recipient. Now, if the recipient is saving their GB for their guild/friends, that's a different argument and one that can be satisfied by mutual agreement on timing/scheduling/rotations, etc., which my guild does.

During the past four years, I confess that I have only committed this sin, twice. The second person to complain (a friend), has, several times in the past, swooped down on my GB's at the last moment, capturing the "pole position" and profiting to the tune of several hundred if not thousands of FPs', usually edging out my guild members. I have never been offended by this, in fact, I have been grateful, since it has allowed me to put my GB into service and start collecting sooner rather than later. And, since I don't consider FOE to be a "game of inches", I have to ask myself, what is the big deal? Can't we just enjoy the game without concocting a collection of unwritten chicken rules/taboos and tribal "etiquette"?

I have thoroughly enjoyed FOE during the past four years. I have been fortunate to be a member of an excellent guild with a nice group of people. But, there are two things that have brought me to the point of dropping the game (a) the parasitic looters, and (b) unnecessary recriminations from other members by daring to cross into their imaginary and protective bubbles.

DeletedUser26488

Manipulate it to your advantage, keep an eye on it, do the maths, and when the time is right put some fp on and stick it in your guild 1.9 thread and get it levelled cheap, apart from if you have a happiness shortage, and it's a population GB, there's never a disadvantage to levelling a GB.

Freshmeboy

Its still a misnomer...:Unwanted donations. The value of a fp is 50 diamonds according to INNO...how can anyone say 500 diamonds worth of fps is unwanted...? Or 5000...? Would you say no to 5K in diamonds...? Maybe the fps are not needed at that point in time but no fp donation should be unwanted, turned away or disdained. It is the fundamental building block of the game and comes at a price so the less you pay for leveling the better....

DeletedUser30312

It's a problem if you've got a guild that's trying to help lower level players get established and a sniper comes by knocks the all the low guys out. It seems the usual way of dealing with that though is to have some heavy hitters lock down the first two, maybe three spots, and then leave the rest for the low guys. Though big GBs aren't always best for the new people because of the costs anyway, I've found when going for that first set of prints on a lower level city that GBs from about levels 3-6 were the best bets because they didn't need as much FP.

Czari

And our point is that there is no reason at all to feel bad about it. I might understand if someone put FP on a GB of mine, and then asked nicely about it, or if they had messaged asking which GB I was working on before donating. But totally unsolicited donations without any indication that they expect help from you, or even worse a message demanding that you help or complaining that you aren't helping them? No logical or ethical reason at all to feel bad about that.

Edited: Of course, I remember when you first got on the Forum and were looking for goods. I tried to basically give you the goods you wanted for free and you wouldn't take them because you said you would "feel bad" about it. Despite the fact that I explained that I wasn't actively playing that world, and the goods would do nothing but sit there (they're still there) if you didn't take them. So, at least you're consistent in having illogical emotional reactions to game occurrences. ;)

This. ^^ I used to feel badly if someone placed FPs on one of my GBs on which I wasn't leveling but that was maybe 2 years ago. Most of the FPs are a handful at most. Recently someone new to the game posted in these forums they needed BPs on xyz GB which I happened to be actively self-leveling in the same world. I posted a response that the person could get BPs from my GB if they wanted to place FPs on it, then sent a friend request to the person. The person placed 5ish FPs on the GB and got a decent number of BPs as they took either first or second.

The same person began placing FPs on another of my GBs that I am not leveling and didn't ask if I was planning on leveling it. After placing 90 FPs on it, I received a message from the person saying they were happy to place FPs on my GB but would like the same in return and to ask my friends to donate to their GB. I checked the person's city - they have a St. Mark's (iirc) and an Oracle. The person is the type that sends a message then immediately leaves the conversation so I placed some FPs on the St. Marks and let it go at that.