• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

How is "Motivation" determind

ol man Rufus

I have recently built the Pirate Hideout event building for my Modern Era city and I would think it ranks reasonably high in terms of my other event buildings. However, collection after collection I have to "self-aid" that building as well as SoK's in the Modern era

Is "Motivation" by other members just a random act? Can I arrange my city so Motivation starts at my current era and then backwards?

Thank you,
RufusXZ

Agent327

Pirate Hideout doubles coins when motivated. That's it. Why on earth would you use self aid for it when collecting it?

Ebeondi Asi

Hah hah hah hah Hah hah hah hah Hah hah hah hah Hah hah hah hahHah hah hah hah
To clarify this is aimed at a certain agent, and not at the op.///

Last edited:

Agent327

Motivation is by Era. So your current Era is motivated first,
Then the next prior etc. it is complicated but has a solid set of rules.
The problem is not the motivation rules, the problem you have are lazy and useless Friends. I suggest finding some Friend swho actually play every day..
You can start with checking your Friends list. Ho wmany are played in within the past two days vs over 8 days since played.

Once again you are wrong and by that actually a bit insulting.

Motivation order:
1. Forge Points (for example Lord's Manor, Pillar of Heroes Level 7, SoK, Sundial Spire, etc.)
2. Random good (ex. Royal Cascade or Athlete Living Quarters)
3. Goods of age (for example Caravansary or Kiosk)
4. Units
5. Medals (for example Pole House or Shrine of Awe)
6. Blueprints (for example Shrine of Inspiration)
7. Crowns

After all of that age kicks in, so motivation is hardly by era!!!

Pericles the Lion

Once again you are wrong and by that actually a bit insulting.

Motivation order:
1. Forge Points (for example Lord's Manor, Pillar of Heroes Level 7, SoK, Sundial Spire, etc.)
2. Random good (ex. Royal Cascade or Athlete Living Quarters)
3. Goods of age (for example Caravansary or Kiosk)
4. Units
5. Medals (for example Pole House or Shrine of Awe)
6. Blueprints (for example Shrine of Inspiration)
7. Crowns

After all of that age kicks in, so motivation is hardly by era!!!
Another ad hominem reply from our Mod but that is beside the point. The order that you provided seems to come from an update from three years ago but it does not appear to be accurate. I just reviewed my city's event history since my last collection. It shows that my Hippo Sphendome (CA), several of my Winner's Plazas (InA/CA/PE), and all of my Captain's Anchorages (PE) were polivated before my Winter Train (EMA) was. WPs and CAs provide happiness, the Train provides FPs. By your order, the Winter Train should have been polivated before the Hippo/WP/CA (or a bunch of FOAs and Botanical Rotundas) but it wasn't.

EDIT: I checked all of my FP producing buildings. I have one IA Sleeping Car attached to the Winter train that remains unmotivated and all of the FP producing buildings in my Cherry Garden sets are unmotivated. Apparently set pieces that provide FPS are excluded from the #1 priority.

Last edited:

DevaCat

Obviously, I don't understand the Motivation/Polishing function. Nevertheless I would have appreciated a respectful reply and a direct answer to my questions rather than a character judgement

If AGENT 327 is an example of a "helpful attitude" then I apologize for using the "Question" forum for help.
Come on Rufus, you’ve been around long enough to know about Agent’s bedside manner :)

Ironrooster

@Pericles the Lion

The list is accurate. But there’s two separate lists at play:

1) If Motivated (this is highest priority and in the order Agent posted)
2) everything else (in order of age, only if there’s no “If Motivated“ buildings remaining)
The important point here is #1. This means your winter train and similar buildings fall to the bottom of the list because they do not need motivation to produce their goodies but can be plundered for them. If you want them to benefit from other players aiding you, you probably need to renovate/1 up them to your current age and eliminate/minimize residences and decorations for your current age. Note train cars count as decorations, so they compete with the locomotive for motivation/polishing if the same age.

Ebeondi Asi

Every question seems ever asked here is really about a different issue buried in the question.THe real issue is getting enough aid so the asked question never has to come up. Clearly the op doesn't get enough aid daily to get everything aided. The fact we all can now have140 Friends means not getting aided is a failure to clear out the deadwood in the Friends list.
I could happily go into a very long blah blah blah about how to fix that but I am certain our glorious leader here would find some flaw an get all obnoxious at me.

The Lady Redneck

It is not important what gets aided when. What is important is (as EA has said) getting enough aid coming in. First make sure your city is not cluttered up with a load of decos as they will take up a lot of the aid you get. You need to get your friends list set up properly and you need to be active in it by aiding everyone every day. A lot of people do just aid from their town hall so if you have not aided them you will not be in there for them to aid you. One good way to get active friends is to visit the tavern of someone who is sitting in your tavern. Send friends requests to any who are sitting in those taverns as the fact that they are there means they are active. You can also visit the global list of all players and starting from the #1 player send FRs to a few on every page as higher level players tend to be active. Aiding them will also give you the chance of FPs for high level GBs. You also need to clear out the dead wood in your FL at least once a month. Once you get between 80 - 140 people on your FL and work at keeping at maintaining it, then you will have no problems getting everything aided that can be aided.

Agent327

Another ad hominem reply from our Mod but that is beside the point. The order that you provided seems to come from an update from three years ago but it does not appear to be accurate. I just reviewed my city's event history since my last collection. It shows that my Hippo Sphendome (CA), several of my Winner's Plazas (InA/CA/PE), and all of my Captain's Anchorages (PE) were polivated before my Winter Train (EMA) was. WPs and CAs provide happiness, the Train provides FPs. By your order, the Winter Train should have been polivated before the Hippo/WP/CA (or a bunch of FOAs and Botanical Rotundas) but it wasn't.

EDIT: I checked all of my FP producing buildings. I have one IA Sleeping Car attached to the Winter train that remains unmotivated and all of the FP producing buildings in my Cherry Garden sets are unmotivated. Apparently set pieces that provide FPS are excluded from the #1 priority.

Hippo Spendome: Residential building that provides coins
Winner's Plaza: Cultural building
Captain's Anchorage: Decoration
Winter Train: Residential building

Base production of the Winter Train is coins. Only base production gets doubled when motivated. Coins have no priority, so after everything on the list has been motivated there is a 50/50 chance that the next item will be motivated or polished. After that selection has been made, age comes into play.

Your Sleeping Car is a decoration. That it gives fp's isn't relevant. It gives happiness and that is the only thing doubled when polished. Cherry Garden set buildings can't even be motivated or polished.

Come on Rufus, you’ve been around long enough to know about Agent’s bedside manner :)

He has also been around long enough to know that this has been discussed more than once.

Algona

Every question seems ever asked here is really about a different issue buried in the question.

Agreed almost completely.

The conclusions you and I have drawn from this understanding are vastly different.

I'm convinced that almost all complaints and questions are due to players not understanding some underlying aspect of the game and that once players understand how and why things work in this game, decisions on what to do become a simple matter of personal preferences.

In other words, I prefer to enable the player to figure out the solution to their problem that best fits their needs instead of a cookie cutter 'best' solution.

----------

This ties into a point I've been hammering on for years.

Players who master the current best technique for fastest game state advancement often give the 'best' answer for that particular technique with no regards for the actual situation, wants, or needs of the individual player.

Worse, all too often the player who has mastered whatever technique has done so without fully understanding the underlying principles of why that technique does work or remains ignorant of other game aspects not touching on the current technique, either of which leads to advice that is either too vague or inappropriate to the matter at hand.

THe real issue is getting enough aid so the asked question never has to come up.

It is not important what gets aided when.

Disagree with you both. I'm not sure it's ever a good idea to ignore, dismiss, or skip over game fundamentals.

In this exact case of not understanding the Aid priority list, it's why Plunderers love and get to plunder Trains. A lot of players just don't understand that Aid Priority is why their Trains (and some other massively productive SBs) never get Aided.

The OP did the right thing, they asked the right question. They just had the misfortune of getting bad answers.

----------

Any player can put time into assuring a full active Friends list and joining a full Guild with an active Aid Rule.*

That's a time commitment that some players don't need or want.

An understanding of how the Aid button works and what gets priority is critical to optimize the closely allied skills of city planning and assuring receiving Aids needed for the city This can substantially reduce time spent maintaining Aids received and reducing plundering of key vulnerable SBs.

*Play how you want. If you like taking the extra time to assure you have 140 Active Friends and your Guildies are Aiding you good for you.

Anyone who pays attention here knows that time spent on Aiding and Friends list is one of the most complained about aspects of the game.

Also noteowrthy, having 140 Active Friends and full Guild still doesn't assure that a poorly designed city will revieve all the Aid it needs.

Understanding Aid Priority gives players options in city design and determining Aids needed.

Which is true of understanding all fundamentals of the game. More knowledge, more play options, more better.

Last edited:

Emberguard

Apparently set pieces that provide FPS are excluded from the #1 priority
Set pieces never used to get motivation at all. It’s only more recently that set pieces have even gotten that function with the Bakery and Harvest Barn, both multi level hybrid sets

Your Cherry Set cannot be motivated

Players who master the current best technique for fastest game state advancement often give the 'best' answer for that particular technique with no regards for the actual situation, wants, or needs of the individual player.

Worse, all too often the player who has mastered whatever technique has done so without fully understanding the underlying principles of why that technique does work or remains ignorant of other game aspects not touching on the current technique, either of which leads to advice that is either too vague or inappropriate to the matter at hand.
This is precisely why I deliberately kept my first city with current age GBs. I wanted to see how the game was more or less originally balanced before I dive into advanced GBs

Last edited:

Emberguard

Disagree with you both. I'm not sure it's ever a good idea to ignore, dismiss, or skip over game fundamentals.

In this exact case of not understanding the Aid priority list, it's why Plunderers love and get to plunder Trains. A lot of players just don't understand that Aid Priority is why their Trains (and some other massively productive SBs) never get Aided.
Yeah. Knowing If Motivated has priority, and then knowing the next priority after that is Highest Age is a pretty big deal

It means if your If Motivated buildings aren’t getting aided then you’ll never get your Train etc motivated either. But it also means you can manipulate the Aid order by leaving certain buildings in lower ages and raising the ages of the buildings you want Aided.

Eg: Reno/1-Up the Train, keep carriages in a lower age and your train will be Aided before the Cars do.

Agent327

Every question seems ever asked here is really about a different issue buried in the question.THe real issue is getting enough aid so the asked question never has to come up. Clearly the op doesn't get enough aid daily to get everything aided. The fact we all can now have140 Friends means not getting aided is a failure to clear out the deadwood in the Friends list.
I could happily go into a very long blah blah blah about how to fix that but I am certain our glorious leader here would find some flaw an get all obnoxious at me.

There is no issue in the question. The question is clear.

"Is "Motivation" by other members just a random act? Can I arrange my city so Motivation starts at my current era and then backwards?""

No, motivation is not random when they use the aid button. It can be considered random if they do it manually, but only players with a Truce Tower might do so. Since age has very little to do with it and only becomes a factor when the priority list has been cleared. So arranging your city has no real influence. Best you can do is remove useless decorations.

Getting enough aid is not the real issue nor the question asked. That question he already asked before and you already did your blah blah

Lord Pest

Motivation…. If your Pirates hideout isn’t getting motivated you need better friends and guildmates. Motivation comes from when your friends guildmates and hoodies aid your town. If you have lots of good buildings that are not getting motivated you need to get better friends and guildmates.