• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

how many foe members here choose auto battle over manual attack?

DeletedUser40061

in battles i always choose auto battle. to place trust in the system..the fate of my soldiers rest in the foe system's hands. sometimes the outcome is dire where all my men are wiped out. and most of the time, they defeat the enemy. whether its on the continent map or in GE. today all my men were wiped out even though i gathered all who had good attack skills and the enemy whom i thought looked weak in their ranks defeated me in a bloody mess. i aim to win. and when i dont, thats the game..just have to wait till they are healed and try again.

BruteForceAttack

in battles i always choose auto battle. to place trust in the system..the fate of my soldiers rest in the foe system's hands. sometimes the outcome is dire where all my men are wiped out. and most of the time, they defeat the enemy. whether its on the continent map or in GE. today all my men were wiped out even though i gathered all who had good attack skills and the enemy whom i thought looked weak in their ranks defeated me in a bloody mess. i aim to win. and when i dont, thats the game..just have to wait till they are healed and try again.

You should manually fight GE/C-map and learn how each units work against others.

Worst thing for a new player is to do auto battle, mainly because the AI for auto battle is not great.

DeletedUser

It varies, sometimes it just depends on my mood. One time never to auto battle at the start is if you are using 7 Rogues and your regular unit moves before the enemy. Your regular unit will move towards the enemy and get wiped out before they go for the Rogues, who move last and are out of their range. Then the Rogues go down on one hit before they can do any damage. Fun times...not.

DeletedUser40061

Yesterday i tried doing it manually. Took a while..im one who doesnt have much patience..ill resume with the auto battle sequence. At least i earn some points for guild in GE even if die. Better to win, get chest rewards

Jern2017

It depends.

When I fight in the third and fourth difficulty of the GE, I use a unit above my age plus seven Rogues and I always start the battle manually. I will sometimes finish it with auto battle if it seems like I can do so without endangering the non-Rogue unit. I also fight like this against stronger neighbors.

I use units from my age against weaker neighbors (usually the first half of the neighborhood) and in the first two difficulties of the GE and fight automatically.

DeletedUser40061

i prayed..i said the next GE will produce successful battles won with very minimal deaths amongst my armies. i want more vctories, which in turn means more points for my guild. i need more recruitment of bow and arrow soldiers as well as heavy units.

i vow to not do anymore battles until i can get more heavy units...hopefully ready before the next GE event. and lets not forget the sectors in continent map!

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser30312

You're trusting the AI with auto-battle?!

Well, I often do too, BUT I've fought enough to know how to match up units and I have a very large attack bonus. From my experience, you'll need around at least a +50-70% bonus to start to auto safely depending on the opposing bonuses. You also need to take into account whether the defender has a bonus to attack as well, because that makes them more dangerous.

For now, stick with manual until you know you've won so you can learn how the units work. Here's a quick and dirty guide to help you:

https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/attacking-with-troops-basics.16670/

There are two things to keep in mind. First, that guide is accurate only up to Indy. In the Progressive Era, units relationships have a big shift and have different strengths and weaknesses. Second, as you progress through the ages, units gain special abilities that make their relationship with each other more complicated. But that guide works for the early ages, so use it to learn the basics of combat.

DeletedUser40061

My strategy is, build up a strong army. Replace old ones from previous age. I was going to keep bronze age army but then i changed mind, seeing they were too weak in GE battles. One whole section of city is dedicated for army buildings..it almost looks like i want to start a 100 year war.

DeletedUser40061

i can see the broad spectrum of manual attack...just did one in GE just now. positioning each solider at an advantage point, be it hills or bushes..getting the upper hand in attack while minimizing my army loss. teaches me to better my attacks be it on the field or in city. with auto battle, you dont see what is going on, thus it does not teach me the basics of military strategy. i always take the easy way.

DeletedUser30312

Exactly. Follow that guide I posted, do some manual fights, and eventually you'll learn how to match units up to auto-battle once your bonuses are high enough. Also, remember that the Traz is the key to having a big army, not spamming barracks. If you're going to go the heavy combat route, you'll probably need the Traz eventually to field a proper army. And rogues.

DeletedUser40061

If you look at my city...it is clogged with lots of barracks. I was thinking the more you have, the better i can do battles...but i think i may have too many?

DeletedUser30312

The main problem with using a lot of barracks is that barracks are big users of population. Lots of barracks can hurt your ability to produce supplies or goods. Also, the population will require more housing which will eat up room in your city. It's not a major problem if you want to focus on fighting and you have your city developed well, but it's something to keep in mind when planning.

Take into account the time it takes to produce units. Spearfighters are 20 seconds, other BA units 1 hour, IA units 2 hours, EMA and later units 4 hours, and special units 1 day. This time is reduced a little by your guild's level.

Early on, you'll need more barracks to produce enough units. As you develop your combat boosts and your units get stronger, they can take less damage, so you'll need fewer. The Traz produces unattached units, and those aren't limited by space like your attached units, so you can build up a big reserve of them. The GE also provides some amount of unattached units, and you can win them from DCs. Rogues are a very good way of building up your army since the Hideouts are small, and can be made into smaller Dens, and you typically use 6 or 7 Rogues with one or two units. Combined with the Traz, the usual practice is to make hundreds or even thousands of unattached Rogues so that you can just soak damage with them.

DeletedUser40061

i have reduced the number of barracks as of yesterday. iam also doing a lot more manual battles and find it very intriguing over the usual auto battle. i said to self, i need to keep this up if i want to hone my strategic skills in case one day iam attacked and have to fight for my life or attack a neighbor, win and plunder with greedy lust:D on the battle field you are presented with obstacles...which areas are good for ambush i ask self...the hills..the rocks...the bushes..of course the plains and swamp arent the best areas when staging surprise attack -right?

DeletedUser30312

The terrain affects your units stats. Rocks and hills boost the attack of your ranged and artillery units, while forests, bushes and plains give defense bonuses to your light and heavy units. Fast units don't have terrain bonuses in the early ages and instead benefit from a larger movement radius.

Later ages shake things up even more. Some of the terrain bonuses change, and units start gaining special abilities.

DeletedUser40061

my number one goal in battles is to win. and get the prize. and quoting from master & commander:

"
For England, for home, and for the prize!

Jack Aubrey"

DeletedUser13838

If you look at my city...it is clogged with lots of barracks. I was thinking the more you have, the better i can do battles...but i think i may have too many?
The way I look at it is: if I never run out of attached troops I have too many barracks but if I'm always out then I don't have enough. I look for a balance but the population requirements from the new age's barracks are going to require some changes to my city.