• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

how many have gotten the covid vaccine yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oswyn the noble

iam excited to say i just received the johnson & johnson vax today. only mild soreness in arm thats about it. but i will continue to follow the original CDC guidelines up until there is no more covid in the world.

Zatrikon

That's not actually true, and shows either that you haven't looked into it for yourself, or you lack understanding of what you've found.
What isn't true? Polio and measles and all the other viruses still exist in the world, despite the existence of vaccines for them, and despite the fact that the vast majority of people have received them. And if a vaccine works, then you can no longer get the disease, once you've been vaccinated. If you get the disease anyway, then the vaccine didn't work. That's just logic.

Ironrooster

What isn't true? Polio and measles and all the other viruses still exist in the world, despite the existence of vaccines for them, and despite the fact that the vast majority of people have received them. And if a vaccine works, then you can no longer get the disease, once you've been vaccinated. If you get the disease anyway, then the vaccine didn't work. That's just logic.
No vaccine is 100%. Moderna which I have is rated 94-95%, so I have a 5-6% chance of getting it.

However since most people are protected, the more people who get the vaccine the less the virus is present in the community since the supply of hosts is decreased. So those who are not protected by the vaccine at least benefit from less virus in the community. This also reduces the chance of mutation to a variant for which the vaccine is not as effective.

Continuing to wear a mask further reduces the chance of spread and of getting it. The mask can also protect against other viruses like flu.

Zatrikon

No vaccine is 100%. Moderna which I have is rated 94-95%, so I have a 5-6% chance of getting it.
Not quite. You only have a 5-6% chance of getting it if the virus actually enters your body. And since you only get it from someone else who has it, then that 5-6% has to be multiplied by the % of coming into contact with someone who has it, and that contact is sufficient to transmit it to you. I don't know what that % is, but let's say that it's 1%. That would mean only a 0.05-0.06% chance of getting it. And then there's your own body's natural immune system, prior to the vaccine. Most people who are young (and even not-so-young) and healthy fight it off naturally, some without even manifesting symptoms.

Johnny B. Goode

guys come on here, why do you guys all have to fight about every little thing? just try and chill and have a friendly convo,
Probably because some people make statements that aren't true, and some of us feel it an ethical obligation not to let misinformation go unchallenged. It wouldn't be necessary if most people used their brains, but too many people believe something just because they saw it in writing.

plinker2

Polio and measles were both almost extinct in the U.S. UNTIL (1) people didn't get the shot, (2) Sad to say that illegals coming into the U.S. and never having the vaccines in their countries brought it into the U.S. This also applies to TB. It is returning and get a BIG foothold, especially in prisons and other such places where people are in close together. Been there-seen it.

Zatrikon

Polio and measles were both almost extinct in the U.S. UNTIL (1) people didn't get the shot, (2) Sad to say that illegals coming into the U.S. and never having the vaccines in their countries brought it into the U.S. This also applies to TB. It is returning and get a BIG foothold, especially in prisons and other such places where people are in close together. Been there-seen it.
Exactly. And people who are vaccinated against polio, measles, and TB don't have have to fear getting these diseases from these people who haven't. But for some reason, some people don't follow this logic - and science - with regard to COVID.

Zatrikon

you can come up with 1 million reasons to not having the shots, doesn't change the fact that you chose to stay being a problem instead of the solution
That's a bit overwrought. They're not a problem if they never get infected, and even if they do, they're not a problem to anyone who has been vaccinated. They're only potentially a problem to themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.