• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

How to bring back the ascetic of the ages

grandmaster ubero

Innogames already have a solution partially introduced to this issue with SAM!
Your Mars colony can only use Mars specific buildings, like houses and goods buildings.

This wont resolve the issue for
earlier ages i agree, but its a compromise; u can keep your main city and change,,add or remove special and event buildings there as much u want,
while you cal also enjoy the current era theme in your colony with Mars background and their own unique buildings. Settlement provides further
new environments away from the city.

One mistake was not to make all the SAM buildings (GB excepted) colony exclusive and the supply /production buildings should have been producing mars credits not supply for main city and the mars houses should have produced just population or maybe coin and supply if just population isn't good enough.

Here are what i would do :

Make next eras like Mars but reduce the costs cause its getting to high, also make them colonies (that seem to be the plan) that saves land and saves performance,
also make all the age related stuff colony exclusive and prohibit use of any building except buildings of that age from usage in the colony, that way all
will have to use it for raw materials, goods, etc. Also maybe focus on colony people and have things like education and training for different skills and ways to combine them too be used to increase the colonies output (similar to the Ship and Harbour).

If people have to produce a good or ore to research and to unlock map and for goods for
Great Buildings they will use those buildings that can produce them, if those can only be used in colony and no event buildings can be used to produce
them and cant be used in colony, then you will have a colony with houses, production buildings, goods buildings etc.

You can even have decorations and
demand for happiness there or something different each new era, maybe a new type of building for each new era related to it, in the colony.
You could even have a mini game different for each new colony with awards that you cant produce or get anywhere else but there.

The best way about this is that it allows for maximal flexibility; main city wont be change and you can still enjoy events and add their items to it while you also can develop and use the eras specific own buildings for something useful in its own landscape, in a colony.

Finally change the backgrounds and have age specific weather; industrial could have more dark,gritty gray color and smoke and smog,for instance.
Clearly the game is moving away further from the main city, its still the foundation for productions and military, but for new challenges and new concepts to flourish i cant see that working in main city its gotta be in colony and settlements.

Last edited:

Algona

+1 Make regular buildings special again.

Go ahead, you can implement this right now in your city. Tear down all those beyond Era GBs, those anachronistic SBs, make tour city special! Then you can use your city as a shining example of how a city should look. You could start a movement that will sweep the FoE Multiverse!

Or more likely folk will keep building their cities they way they want, not the way you want.

Emberguard

It would, but the regular building would serve a purpose other than what players use before they get an event building to replace it.
Then how about it gets done in reverse? Give the techtree buildings something unique for X amount of special buildings?

That gives lower age premium buildings a purpose, but it still makes the new premium buildings pointless since players know better by then.
No they still have a purpose. You still get the premium buildings in GE and event prizes. They can still be used through the Antiques Dealer. Just because they've been re-purposed doesn't mean they don't have a purpose

Last edited:

qaccy

I agree with the premise, but not sure on how to make it happen, if it's even possible. Event buildings are great and all, but these days the only way you can tell the age of a city is by what the town hall looks like. It's not something that's a problem for everybody, but I do miss all the distinctive buildings from each age that used to make up the majority of each player's city.

Emberguard

I agree with the premise, but not sure on how to make it happen, if it's even possible. Event buildings are great and all, but these days the only way you can tell the age of a city is by what the town hall looks like. It's not something that's a problem for everybody, but I do miss all the distinctive buildings from each age that used to make up the majority of each player's city.
Possibly make each one apply something to the lowest value (after motivation values) building in the city?

So if you have 30 of X techtree building each would check for something to apply to individually. So if one adding its value changes which is the lowest then the next would add to a different building. If it still remained the lowest then the next would apply to the same building.

Something like that?

DeletedUser

Is there any chance this will ever get implemented ? ( to forum mods )
Personally I doubt it. However, only the Inno development team could answer that question with any certainty.

For myself, if event buildings only gave boosts to regular buildings, I wouldn't bother with them. I already avoid event buildings that give coin/supply boosts. If the main event building's final upgrade gives a choice of coin, supply or attack boost, I always go with the attack boost. Every time. To me it is a matter of space. In the limited room available in my city, a building must produce something substantial, not just a boost of another building. The other consideration for me is that coins and supplies are never an issue in any of my cities past the original couple of weeks. (And if I played them more seriously at the beginning, they wouldn't be an issue even then.) So a building merely giving a % boost to coins and/or supplies would be wasted space.

From Inno's business standpoint, would this proposal mean more Diamond purchases? Or fewer? I would venture to say definitely not more, and possibly fewer. Who in their right mind would buy/spend Diamonds for buildings that only give boosts to other buildings? For me personally, such buildings would reduce the slim chance that I would spend Diamonds to get them to zero chance.

And finally, the game used to revolve around wise use of regular buildings. It now revolves around acquiring and wisely using event buildings and GBs. It would be a huge readjustment, with lots of balancing issues, to reverse that. It took a few years to slowly change the focus from regular to event buildings/GBs, and it would take years, and more than this one change, to get it back. And would that change then mean an improved game or not? It would be an enormously bad business decision to undertake that retro change only to find out that it sank the game. Inno has to look at this from that business standpoint, and not from the limited perspective of nostalgia for the "good old days" of regular buildings being the main focus of the game.

WinnerGR

Personally I doubt it. However, only the Inno development team could answer that question with any certainty.

For myself, if event buildings only gave boosts to regular buildings, I wouldn't bother with them. I already avoid event buildings that give coin/supply boosts. If the main event building's final upgrade gives a choice of coin, supply or attack boost, I always go with the attack boost. Every time. To me it is a matter of space. In the limited room available in my city, a building must produce something substantial, not just a boost of another building. The other consideration for me is that coins and supplies are never an issue in any of my cities past the original couple of weeks. (And if I played them more seriously at the beginning, they wouldn't be an issue even then.) So a building merely giving a % boost to coins and/or supplies would be wasted space.

From Inno's business standpoint, would this proposal mean more Diamond purchases? Or fewer? I would venture to say definitely not more, and possibly fewer. Who in their right mind would buy/spend Diamonds for buildings that only give boosts to other buildings? For me personally, such buildings would reduce the slim chance that I would spend Diamonds to get them to zero chance.

And finally, the game used to revolve around wise use of regular buildings. It now revolves around acquiring and wisely using event buildings and GBs. It would be a huge readjustment, with lots of balancing issues, to reverse that. It took a few years to slowly change the focus from regular to event buildings/GBs, and it would take years, and more than this one change, to get it back. And would that change then mean an improved game or not? It would be an enormously bad business decision to undertake that retro change only to find out that it sank the game. Inno has to look at this from that business standpoint, and not from the limited perspective of nostalgia for the "good old days" of regular buildings being the main focus of the game.
OK

DeletedUser34743

So you want buildings that increase the production of other buildings. But this has to work in an environment that already has stuff like St. Mark's Basilica.

Level 10 St. Mark's gives +250% coins. So your generic house that makes 100 coins actually makes 350.
Your proposed event building gives maybe +9% (copying a Piazza Clock Tower). So now my generic house makes 359 coins.

Woo hoo!

For coin and supply bonuses to be relevent alongside St. Mark's and Lighthouse, etc., they need to be huge. But then everyone will be making +3000% coins and supplies, whether they want to or not, for the same reason we all have massive extra population. The game just isn't balanced for that sort of change.

Also:

When I go looking at my neighbours' cities, which I do a lot since I plunder, I see a lot of generic buildings, and I see people building cities with aesthetics in mind. I see broad tree-lined avenues, which are a total waste of space, but look nice. I've got a neighbour right now with a King and Queen (which require roads) fully surrounded by trees - presumably because the player thinks it looks nice. I see individual cities hosting a wide variety of generic and premium housing. So ... there's lots of people out there making cities that look the way you want them to. Why can't you?

Sheriff Of Rottingham

Go ahead, you can implement this right now in your city. Tear down all those beyond Era GBs, those anachronistic SBs, make tour city special! Then you can use your city as a shining example of how a city should look. You could start a movement that will sweep the FoE Multiverse!

Or more likely folk will keep building their cities they way they want, not the way you want.
A little defensive aren't you? Relax bruh. Anyway, if you bother to think about it and not just immediately decide you are against it, and therefor anyone else must be wrong...the OP said it wouldn't impact existing buildings. So your city wouldn't be affected anyway. Just a new feature of NEW BUILDINGS that might improve the value of standard researched buildings. Or using your words: "Go ahead, you can ignore these new buildings in your city. Then you can use your city as a shining example of resistance to change. You could start a movement of resistance that will sweep the FoE Multiverse!"

DeletedUser36572

Social engineering experiments that attempt to replace freedom and choice with idealistic garbage are a waste of time and resources.

Do What You Choose

Algona

A little defensive aren't you?

And you're trying to be patronizing, but you're not very good at it.

You're wrong. I'm a lot defensive about this.

You and the other folk who want this (and so many other changes) are trying to change the game to suit your parochial desires with no consideration for the good of the game.

INNO has demonstrated they know what they are doing with this years long shift from a game of mundane buildings to a game dominated ny GBs and SBs.

I've got no problem if you want to play FoE circa 2014, as noted you can do that today. Just quit trying to force the game itself to go back with you.

The Lady Redneck

I like things the way they are where we each have the freedom to build what we please when we please. And then change it if we please. I have some buildings simply because I like them, if they bring some sort of bonus so much the better. I even like the half finished EBs I have. After all every RL city has buildings in various stages of completion. And also buildings in architectural styles of different periods. So why not here?. If we start dictating what buildings we should have in our cities so they are in keeping with a given Age then does it follow that we should also only have the GBs for that age?. I know what my answer to THAT would be.

Agent327

A little defensive aren't you? Relax bruh. Anyway, if you bother to think about it and not just immediately decide you are against it, and therefor anyone else must be wrong...the OP said it wouldn't impact existing buildings. So your city wouldn't be affected anyway. Just a new feature of NEW BUILDINGS that might improve the value of standard researched buildings. Or using your words: "Go ahead, you can ignore these new buildings in your city. Then you can use your city as a shining example of resistance to change. You could start a movement of resistance that will sweep the FoE Multiverse!"

It will only lead to players skipping these "new" event buildings and going for the old ones.

time4coffee

You're never forced to build event building or event try to win them. Personally I love the look of the Halloween one and with the new auction house was able to get 2 black towers, which look great and gives great bonuses. I worked hard getting several of event building and they really bumped up my game - they made possible to get a Traz in LMA and be able to level it decently and more. I feel like it gives players who are just starting out a real boost.

I love the event buildings I because they give a big boost, I don't really care about the looks. I wasn't going to bother with the winter event because I didn't like their reindeer tease but I kept doing the quests and got highest level. I got addicted and put in a lot of work and money to do the quests to get the prize, so of course I'm building it.
The forge bowl is the first one I've really skipped. My city is really crowded anyway from event buildings (and the ones I bought in the auction)

WinnerGR

You're never forced to build event building or event try to win them. Personally I love the look of the Halloween one and with the new auction house was able to get 2 black towers, which look great and gives great bonuses. I worked hard getting several of event building and they really bumped up my game - they made possible to get a Traz in LMA and be able to level it decently and more. I feel like it gives players who are just starting out a real boost.

I love the event buildings I because they give a big boost, I don't really care about the looks. I wasn't going to bother with the winter event because I didn't like their reindeer tease but I kept doing the quests and got highest level. I got addicted and put in a lot of work and money to do the quests to get the prize, so of course I'm building it.
The forge bowl is the first one I've really skipped. My city is really crowded anyway from event buildings (and the ones I bought in the auction)
I hate all the halloween buildings and sold all of them to the AD , I also made a big mistake on Forge Bowl this year with the AD and selling everything ...

Super Catanian

I hate all the halloween buildings and sold all of them to the AD , I also made a big mistake on Forge Bowl this year with the AD and selling everything ...
The Abandoned Asylum provides a good attack boost and a greater FP efficiency than an SoK.