• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

How to entice players to trade lower age good for future Goods?

• Thread starter DeletedUser38613
  • Start date

RazorbackPirate

wow, well ok then. Didn't know learning strategies meant looking for handouts. I'll choose my words better next time on this game.

Most people here are saying you gotta pay for for Future goods, then fine by me. I'll just have to make it work and see about any installment plans or simply save up. I'm willing to do so. The game doesn't run out of goods,it just makes people work for it, so no skin off my nose. I'm down with dealings.
Very good then. Sorry that I misinterpreted your words. Let me revise my answer to say simply this.
I got my CF and Traz goods from a guildmate. I did my research and found the going rate on my world was 200 FPs for a set. I emailed a couple guildmates in PE asking if anyone wanted to sell me PE goods. One guild member responded. I told him what I needed and what the going rate was, saying I'd rather buy them in guild to keep the FPs in guild, instead of paying for goods to someone outside.

They came back saying they would sell them for 100 FPs. I was thankful to be offered a deal and happy to accept. I got 2 full sets for the price of one.
I was able to pay in installments, I stopped all research and all my spare FPs went to my guildmate's CdM. Everything I got from GE, DC, Incidents, whatever. 5 or 10 FPs at a time. I just kept track in a message thread, once I paid 100 FPs, we traded the first set for me to build CF. Then I asked if they were willing to do it a second time for Traz goods, they were, so we did. In little installments over a few weeks time.

Graviton

I disagree. There's no reason why anyone should have an expectation that guild members will take a loss on goods, 'just because.' While I'm always willing to throw a guildmate or friend a deal, if I'm selling goods for FPs, I'm not giving away my stuff to anyone, guildmate or not. Just like everyone else, the OP should be buying their Arc goods for FPs. They should not be trying to 'guilt' their guildmates into taking their bad trades.

Please don't perpetuate the attitude that just because a player is more advanced, they somehow owe others something for free, whether that player is inside the guild or not. I've gotten a ton of help from others by never asking for it, or expecting it. That attitude is not only presumptuous, but kind of offensive.

I got my CF and Traz goods from a guildmate. I did my research and found the going rate on my world was 200 FPs for a set. I emailed a couple guildmates in PE asking if anyone wanted to sell me PE goods. One guild member responded. I told him what I needed and what the going rate was, saying I'd rather buy them in guild to keep the FPs in guild, instead of paying for goods to someone outside. They came back saying they would sell them for 100 FPs.

I was thankful to be offered a deal and happy to accept. I got 2 full sets for the price of one. But I still paid. Deal or no deal, I was willing to pay a guildmate the going rate for the goods I needed just to keep the 'love' inside the guild. No reason why the OP shouldn't be willing to do the same. The OP is not asking for help, they're looking for a handout.

It's not a bad guild just because no one wants to give handouts to a needy player who can't pull their weight.

I tend to agree with most of that, except for the part characterizing the OP's motivation. I didn't get the impression he was asking for a handout, he's just a new player trying to figure out how to get those sweet sweet Future goods. It was Godly's response that I think most of us disagree with, not the OP's question.

DeletedUser

wow, well ok then. Didn't know learning strategies meant looking for handouts. I'll choose my words better next time on this game.
Don't fret about it. Many players do come here and post looking for the game to be made easier for them, and most of us long-time Forum regulars are a little jaded at times. At least you didn't stomp off in a huff at the first negative reaction, that puts you ahead of most newbies that post here.
Most people here are saying you gotta pay for for Future goods, then fine by me. I'll just have to make it work and see about any installment plans or simply save up. I'm willing to do so. The game doesn't run out of goods,it just makes people work for it, so no skin off my nose. I'm down with dealings.
Yes, unless you are lucky enough to find someone willing to be generous, you will have to pay FPs (in the form of donations to one or more GBs that the seller will specify) to get Future (or any higher era) goods. You will have to make sure the terms are spelled out before starting the actual transaction. Such as:
Goods you can trade (usually Bronze, but a seller will usually work with what you have in quantity. It's the FP that are the important thing to them.)
Goods trade ratio (generally 1:2, meaning one of your goods for every two of the higher era goods. Some might reduce the price if you trade 1:1 with a lower age good they are wanting.)
Timing of donations/trades (it is generally smart to do part at a time to protect both seller and buyer, if you don't know the seller. For example, if the price is 250 FP you might pay 50 FP and then get one of the goods traded to you, then do the next good and so on)
Whether any rewards you might get from your donations are relevant to the price (sometimes you will run into a buyer who wants you to pay a certain net amount, meaning if you agree to pay 250 FP and you get 50 FP from being in a reward position due to those donations, they expect you to pay them the 50 FP in addition to the original 250. This should be spelled out in advance, if someone tries to pull this on you after you've already started the transaction, don't go along with it.)

DreadfulCadillac

I'm going with @Godly Luke on this one. The OP is not looking for a handout, he is looking for help. And all his guild mates with their Arcs aren't helping him by teaching him how you go about getting Arc goods. So he came here asking for help in figuring it out. I know those of us that have been playing a while can't relate very well, but not all players absorb all this extraneous info in the natural course of things. Some players probably feel like they're wandering around in the dark, especially if they are unlucky enough to be in a bad guild that doesn't teach newbies anything, which seems to be the case here.

That is interesting. I believe I would leave a guild with that rule. And I am one who refuses to take FP from guild mates for goods transactions. But to say that no one can sell goods for FPs, even at a discount seems a bit over the top. I could see setting a maximum that could be charged, but to forbid it altogether is too draconian for me.
agree.usually i refuse to take fp from guildies(or like more then 50 fp from em) if im not in a inbetween going to a guuild guild..
i give guildies goods for free when i can and they need them..

Salsuero

Didn't know learning strategies meant looking for handouts.

Not your fault. Your intention isn't the issue and you came to the right place.

I'll choose my words better next time on this game.

Probably this more than anything else. People can be very fickle about how things are presented here. A small misunderstanding can lead to an all out verbal brawl!

Mustapha00

While I am in great sympathy with your goal to drop and level and Arc as early as possible- it certainly makes the game, if not easier, then less hard- I think you're setting your sights too high too quickly.

If you're producing only around 30fp a day, even if you do build up enough FP to make the sorts of FP-for-Goods trade others have mentioned, progress on levelling it will be painfully, frustratingly, maddeningly s-l-o-w. At some point, players will begin to donate large amounts of FP to your Arc because players with high level Arcs can actually make a profit from their donations, but that "sweet spot" is in the mid-30s, and even that level Arc takes tens of thousands of FP to reach.

My first suggestion would be to increase the number of FP you earn each day. Almost every Event building awards FP these days. I think the chance to win a building which produces FP (think Shrines of Knowledge and Wishing Wells) is present in every Event, usually as a Daily Reward or in some other fashion. Nothing wrong with continuing to try for the remaining BPs you need while you build your FP production.

By way of comparison, I think I dropped an Arc on the world on which I am in the earliest Age in.....Colonial Era. I was producing roughly 110 FP a day then. And it's still a slow process.

I agree that a Guild generally and advanced players specifically "owe" you nothing. That said, every single Guild of which I am a member has an unofficial policy of generosity towards less advanced players. With the exception of the newest GBs, you'll probably find multiple players who are willing to trade Goods for FPs at a lower going rate than the general player base if it's for a very important GB like an Arc. I've had Guildmates trade Goods for an Alcatraz or a Chateau Frontie-thingy for Goods of my Age and whatever FP I care to donate to them. All that's ever been asked of me is to return the generosity once I'm in a position to do so, which I am glad to do because it helps all the Guild.

Salsuero

While I am in great sympathy with your goal to drop and level and Arc as early as possible- it certainly makes the game, if not easier, then less hard- I think you're setting your sights too high too quickly.

If you're producing only around 30fp a day, even if you do build up enough FP to make the sorts of FP-for-Goods trade others have mentioned, progress on levelling it will be painfully, frustratingly, maddeningly s-l-o-w. At some point, players will begin to donate large amounts of FP to your Arc because players with high level Arcs can actually make a profit from their donations, but that "sweet spot" is in the mid-30s, and even that level Arc takes tens of thousands of FP to reach.

I built my Arc when I was just leaving the Iron Age and wasn't producing many FPs at all yet... maybe around 10 at collection plus the 24 I was given for free daily. I saved up to buy the goods (a lot of targeted sniping back then -- which is why I'm up to over 42k in inventory now)... but I actually bought AF goods (I think the highest age at the time) and traded down so I only needed to buy half of them and they weren't as expensive because most people were trying to buy Future goods, not AF goods. It was a goal to complete and it didn't matter how hard it would be. I can appreciate the point you're trying to make, but people kept telling me "you're shooting too high" back then. They kept trying to convince me to build the Observatory. I told them the Arc was worth more to me AND the guild and I'm here to play! I joined my guild back then as the only Iron Age member and at the very bottom of the list. They all underestimated me. I told them I would one day be on the council... they mostly laughed. I'm now a founder. I was one of the first in my guild to even own an Arc... I think I was beat by a few days by one other member. I disagree that you're ever aiming too high!

My first suggestion would be to increase the number of FP you earn each day. Almost every Event building awards FP these days. I think the chance to win a building which produces FP (think Shrines of Knowledge and Wishing Wells) is present in every Event, usually as a Daily Reward or in some other fashion. Nothing wrong with continuing to try for the remaining BPs you need while you build your FP production.

By way of comparison, I think I dropped an Arc on the world on which I am in the earliest Age in.....Colonial Era. I was producing roughly 110 FP a day then. And it's still a slow process.

Nothing wrong with your suggestion, but I hit level 80 when I was in HMA. It can be done.

Last edited:

DreadfulCadillac

WOW..one of my guild founders gave me a free AO set..then again i do a significant amount of colonial age gvg, and i excpect this will significatnly improve my performance..reallyu great guild that im in..:)

DeletedUser38613

Don't fret about it. Many players do come here and post looking for the game to be made easier for them, and most of us long-time Forum regulars are a little jaded at times. At least you didn't stomp off in a huff at the first negative reaction, that puts you ahead of most newbies that post here.

Yes, unless you are lucky enough to find someone willing to be generous, you will have to pay FPs (in the form of donations to one or more GBs that the seller will specify) to get Future (or any higher era) goods. You will have to make sure the terms are spelled out before starting the actual transaction. Such as:
Goods you can trade (usually Bronze, but a seller will usually work with what you have in quantity. It's the FP that are the important thing to them.)
Goods trade ratio (generally 1:2, meaning one of your goods for every two of the higher era goods. Some might reduce the price if you trade 1:1 with a lower age good they are wanting.)
Timing of donations/trades (it is generally smart to do part at a time to protect both seller and buyer, if you don't know the seller. For example, if the price is 250 FP you might pay 50 FP and then get one of the goods traded to you, then do the next good and so on)
Whether any rewards you might get from your donations are relevant to the price (sometimes you will run into a buyer who wants you to pay a certain net amount, meaning if you agree to pay 250 FP and you get 50 FP from being in a reward position due to those donations, they expect you to pay them the 50 FP in addition to the original 250. This should be spelled out in advance, if someone tries to pull this on you after you've already started the transaction, don't go along with it.)
Ok, that last one sounds like their just hammering me unfairly. That would be totally unethical to scrape off the miniscule (in comparison) reward I get in ADDITION to the agreed price. That's like saying "you pay me $10 for the goods, also a $5 transaction fee for me actually having to make an effort to trade". Is that really a common thing?

DreadfulCadillac

Ok, that last one sounds like their just hammering me unfairly. That would be totally unethical to scrape off the miniscule (in comparison) reward I get in ADDITION to the agreed price. That's like saying "you pay me $10 for the goods, also a $5 transaction fee for me actually having to make an effort to trade". Is that really a common thing?
no, the last one ensures that the seller keeps all the profit..when i sell goods, i look at it like a buissness.my ad owns a buissness tho, so i geuss i already have a sense of how parts of the buissness world works ahead of time?:)

DeletedUser

I don't know that it's common, but I know it's not rare. I would never even consider doing it, but I just wanted you to be aware of as many pitfalls as possible.
no, the last one ensures that the seller keeps all the profit..when i sell goods, i look at it like a buissness.my ad owns a buissness tho, so i geuss i already have a sense of how parts of the buissness world works ahead of time?:)
The rewards are irrelevant to the seller's profit. Our grocery store has a frequent customer program that allows you to save money on certain sale items, while also earning cents off on gas purchases. By your logic, I should send them a check equal to the amount of money I save on gas. And your dad owning a business gives you no edge on people that have been participating in the economy for decades.

DreadfulCadillac

I don't know that it's common, but I know it's not rare. I would never even consider doing it, but I just wanted you to be aware of as many pitfalls as possible.

The rewards are irrelevant to the seller's profit. Our grocery store has a frequent customer program that allows you to save money on certain sale items, while also earning cents off on gas purchases. By your logic, I should send them a check equal to the amount of money I save on gas. And your dad owning a business gives you no edge on people that have been participating in the economy for decades.
no because if u make 50 fp from the building the seller told u to put the fp on for your goods, and the seller demands 50 fp cause u made 50 fp off the building they added to, the seller keeps everything

DeletedUser33179

no because if u make 50 fp from the building the seller told u to put the fp on for your goods, and the seller demands 50 fp cause u made 50 fp off the building they added to, the seller keeps everything

That's having your cake & eating it too. Greedy, really.

The seller got paid in full, putting the fps on the GBs you specified. Sellers aren't ever entitled to donators' GBs winnings - they always belong to the donator. I'd never, ever use a seller who demanded that extra payment beyond the standard payment.

If a seller is bothered that a buyer could win anything from their GB donation payments, then the seller needs to instruct buyers in making payments in such a way that buyers could never secure a 1-5 donation spot. As an aside, many buyers won't go to such a seller as is rather nitpicky, etc. I admit I have gotten a couple GB goods sets from such a player, but he appeared to be routinely saving all his GB 1-5 spots on all his GBs for his Arc 1.9x donation groups buddies - he has quite an impressive system established. Couldn't blame him for being able to level all GBs massively quickly with his setup. He did offer very good prices & good to deal with overall.

DreadfulCadillac

That's having your cake & eating it too. Greedy, really.

The seller got paid in full, putting the fps on the GBs you specified. Sellers aren't ever entitled to donators' GBs winnings - they always belong to the donator. I'd never, ever use a seller who demanded that extra payment beyond the standard payment.

If a seller is bothered that a buyer could win anything from their GB donation payments, then the seller needs to instruct buyers in making payments in such a way that buyers could never secure a 1-5 donation spot. As an aside, many buyers won't go to such a seller as is rather nitpicky, etc. I admit I have gotten a couple GB goods sets from such a player, but he appeared to be routinely saving all his GB 1-5 spots on all his GBs for his Arc 1.9x donation groups buddies - he has quite an impressive system established. Couldn't blame him for being able to level all GBs massively quickly with his setup. He did offer very good prices & good to deal with overall.
i dont do it lol, just saying that some people do.somebody was trying to get me to do that one time, and i eneded the deal

DeletedUser

The flaw in your logic is that the seller never gets the rewards off his own GBs, so there is no justification for demanding them from the buyer. Say you agree on a price of 250 FP, and the GB he instructs you to put them on ends up returning 25 FP in rewards. Now, if you give him the 25 FP reward, you've actually paid 275 FP instead of 250. How is that right?

DreadfulCadillac

The flaw in your logic is that the seller never gets the rewards off his own GBs, so there is no justification for demanding them from the buyer. Say you agree on a price of 250 FP, and the GB he instructs you to put them on ends up returning 25 FP in rewards. Now, if you give him the 25 FP reward, you've actually paid 275 FP instead of 250. How is that right?
its NOT..thats what i was pointing out.some sellers do that tho.which in a way does make sense

DeletedUser

its NOT..thats what i was pointing out.some sellers do that tho.which in a way does make sense
No, it does not make sense, that's what I'm trying to tell you. It only makes sense in the seller's mind, because they are looking at the buyer's net cost as somehow affecting them when it has nothing to do with them. There is no rational justification for the seller to make such a demand.