• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

How to Start and Lead a Guild?

Flynn Carson

Hey guys, I've got an inquiry. I want to start and run a successful guild. I've always felt like a leader. I even grew up in a military family and spent years studying everything I could, from Hierarchy of military rankings, to responsibilities of each specific job position, etc. But for the life of me, I cannot seem to figure out a good way to start and run a guild on FoE. I ran a successful Alliance on the game War2Glory for years, but that only partially translates to FoE as it was a fighting strategy game with the option for trading resources. But things like global competitions like GE and GbG weren't really a thing. War2Glory had a concept called War Week, but there was often a Global Truce that was established, so War Week was essentially moot in the game. Can anyone give me some good tips for running a good guild? I know one important aspect is going to be planning out positions, and rules/regulations for the guild, but is there anything else i should be wary of?

WinnerGR

If your going to try and practise running and raising a guild I would reccomend doing it on a newer world and I think you would benifit most from joining a guild like Liberate, who would get your ark and traz 100 levels + , before you even consider starting a guild. Also the third party game that you have mentioned is nothing like FoE and I would say that any experience in that game would be of extremenly minimal use in FoE.

Be wary of opening yourself up for the knife.

Flynn Carson

If your going to try and practise running and raising a guild I would reccomend doing it on a newer world and I think you would benifit most from joining a guild like Liberate, who would get your ark and traz 100 levels + , before you even consider starting a guild. Also the third party game that you have mentioned is nothing like FoE and I would say that any experience in that game would be of extremenly minimal use in FoE.

Be wary of opening yourself up for the knife.
what world is Liberate on?

Flynn Carson

I never said that. I just wasn't sure if you were referring to Dunarsund's Liberate Guild, or if there was one on another world you were talking about.

Agent327

but is there anything else i should be wary of?

Yes. Game has stats and rankings. Anyone can look you up and see you are a beginning player. A player that has nothing to offer when it comes to game knowledge. Only players that are new themselves might be willing to join you and accept you as a leader. No experienced player will. Start playing, learn the game. Learn how Guilds work and what makes them succesful. Then maybe in a couple of years you might be able to start and run a succesful Guild by yourself.

Flynn Carson

Yes. Game has stats and rankings. Anyone can look you up and see you are a beginning player. A player that has nothing to offer when it comes to game knowledge. Only players that are new themselves might be willing to join you and accept you as a leader. No experienced player will. Start playing, learn the game. Learn how Guilds work and what makes them succesful. Then maybe in a couple of years you might be able to start and run a succesful Guild by yourself.
I've actually been playing the game since like 2015, I've just had life issues that have prevented me from being more immersed in the game. I stated under the name Black Knightmare, but eventually started a new account under the name Johnny Thunder, before switching names to Flynn Carson. I stayed in Dunarsund World because I'd made some good friends in that world.

Agent327

I've actually been playing the game since like 2015, I've just had life issues that have prevented me from being more immersed in the game. I stated under the name Black Knightmare, but eventually started a new account under the name Johnny Thunder, before switching names to Flynn Carson. I stayed in Dunarsund World because I'd made some good friends in that world.

Doesn't matter. People look at your stats and those are not something that makes them want to follow you.

WinnerGR

You sound to me like you do have something to me - I truly think you do but if you just send me a message asking me to join your guild I am gonna quickly check the guild stats and then that'll probably be the end of it however if I'v got some time or your sales pitch was good I'll look at your stats - what am I gonna find?

WinnerGR

Oh so @Flynn Carson your now going to take the miki out of my guild in-game . Ok OK we have SAM players with arks and trazs on hellish levels - what do you have?

Flavius Belisarius

Hey guys, I've got an inquiry. I want to start and run a successful guild. I've always felt like a leader. I even grew up in a military family and spent years studying everything I could, from Hierarchy of military rankings, to responsibilities of each specific job position, etc. But for the life of me, I cannot seem to figure out a good way to start and run a guild on FoE. I ran a successful Alliance on the game War2Glory for years, but that only partially translates to FoE as it was a fighting strategy game with the option for trading resources. But things like global competitions like GE and GbG weren't really a thing. War2Glory had a concept called War Week, but there was often a Global Truce that was established, so War Week was essentially moot in the game. Can anyone give me some good tips for running a good guild? I know one important aspect is going to be planning out positions, and rules/regulations for the guild, but is there anything else i should be wary of?
Ask yourself this question: "What would I get from joining your Guild?"

Algona

Agent is pretty much right, although Flavius Belisarius cuts to the crux of starting a new Guild:

Building a new Guild with a new Player as Founder will be really difficult.

Building a city from scratch is difficult. One of the best ways to accelerate nw city growth is to join a good helpful established rich Guild because of the help and guidance available.

Forgoing that help with your city and trying to learn Guild management on the fly and constructing a good Guild are three separate challenges each made much more difficult because you are trying to do all three at once.

Let me recommend an alternative.

Join a good (not necessarily great) growing Guild. If you need help figuring out what to look for, ask.

Work on your city as first priority, ask your Guild what you need to be doing growing your city to help the Guild.

That's your in. Active communication with Guild management is key to learning how that Guild runs and you seeing what you like and don;t like about that particular management style.

Study and learn about Guild management while building both your city and a network of friends and Friends.

There are some possible things that can occur during this period of learning. You may decide you don't like this particular Guild and move on. You may decide that you don't like the idea of running a Guild. Your Guild leadership and other players may start turning to you for help and advice and getting you involved in running the Guild.

Or in a year or two you may decide that you are ready for running a Guild.

----------

You do need to answer Flavius Belisarius' question. What can you offer players to make them want to join and stay with your Guild?

Can you give a sufficient answer to that and are still dead set on trying to start a new Guild right mow?

If so, I recommend we PM a bit so that I can point you towards some things that may be of use.

Tony 85 the Generous

Looking back, I would say that "access" is the biggest problem for new guilds. Access to knowledge, access to experience, access to blueprints, and access to efficient leveling means (1.9 thread).

In addition to:
also ask yourself how are you going to provide or get access to the those necessities.

The Lady Redneck

What Algona and Flavius say. Another thing to consider is after you have been in an establish guild and got to the point where you are in a position to be Founder of your own guild Is to talk it over with the Founder/ leader of the guild you are in. Tell them you are looking to start your own guild and would want to be an Ally. Maybe even be willing to train up players who might want to go on to that guild if they wished to. Often a good alliance means that top players will move between guilds for trading and such. And remember you cannot run a successful guild on your own. You need to have friends with the same ideas as to what makes a successful guild as you to fill leadership roles. And you need to value every member as part of the success of your guild, whether they are in SAV or IA.

Dude , you are over thinking this to the max. there is no mathematical formula, nor a plan of invasion the likes Eisenhower would approve of......i have run a successful guild for years in two worlds....i would credit my success to two things...1) the guild is a reflection of who i am 2) i brought 4 years of experience in the game as the Founder . So i agree with those who say get more experience. Note: there are no positions. The only thing i see in your treatise that i agree with is rules/regulations... make them clear, simple and post them in the guild profile. mine are simple, "Show respect to your fellow guildie" all else flows from this.... we have no requirements on how to play, cause i believe people came here to play "as they wish", not be following someone else's dictates on how to play. I do not lead, i facilitate.
CptDreadRoberts, Friendly Neighborhood Pirateman.