• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Guide] Deleted

Jern2017

I know lots of players don't care about defense and I understand why. Having no defensive army, like two Spearfighters, one Rogue... makes no sense to me, though. Everyone can breach your defenses, even the least developed players.

As far as such a defense being a deterrent - I've seen it mentioned multiple times, but it's not true for most people who plunder. No defense means it will take the a dedicated player who regularly plunders his neighbors about five seconds to auto battle and check if you have anything that can be taken before moving on to the next neighbor. Sooner or later, that player will find something that can be plundered - collecting on time is a great defensive strategy, but we're not machines and few people can collect their city at the exact same time every single day due to real life situations.

Best defense I've found is collect on time - there will always be someone able to get through your defense and defensive buildings just take up space that could be used for attack or fp production. Keep your defensive army full and accept it as part of the game. You'll only get plundered by hoodies so - try making them friends, wait it out til the hood changes, vary your collection times or age up.

However being a big fish in your age certainly helps - tends to put people off just even thinking about it.

Emberguard

I know that I will get a couple "WAH'S" from this ;) but I only ever use it when the same player attacks and plunders several times...

I look at their Great Buildings and find one that has a nice payout... Then I add Forge Points if it will take a minute to level (to watch and flip later), or if it doesn't need many FP's...

I FLIP IT! They lose the double collection on it, and while it does not get what they plundered from you back... It feels OH SO Satisfying. I can't tell you how many times someone has messaged me whining about it...

But like it has been said... It's just a game and all is fair in love and war...:D
Nah I love it :D no point in signing upto a game if you’re not going to face the challenges in that game >=D nothing quite like an opponent that fights back =,D

StarEyed

I know lots of players don't care about defense and I understand why. Having no defensive army, like two Spearfighters, one Rogue... makes no sense to me, though. Everyone can breach your defenses, even the least developed players.

Hang on you guys - I've seen this little bit of condescending BS over and over again in this thread and every similar thread like it - and I have to disagree.
Sure - everyone is lazy to a certain extent - but not one thinking person consciously decide to ignore their defense.
Most of us come here to find out what works and how to set it up.
I read - "establish a Spear-fighters defense" so many times - but NOBODY botheres stating exactly how that's done.

I was driving myself nuts - watching one video after another showing the same 2 Spear-fighters getting whacked as my city was breached.
A totally unfair fight - 2 Spear-fighters facing 8 stronger and more powerful opponents.
Nothing I tried made a difference - thinking the limiting factor might be Spear-fighters - I built 2 new barracks for them.
When the next attack happened - I saw the same 2 Spear-fighters getting whacked again.

The problem had to be there - but not be the tired reason given.
Then I looked at the Army Management screen and as the mouse passed over the blue decoration - and a sub-menu popped up.
The blue decoration is really a button - and it activates which warriors are used for defense.
My Oh My - Silly Me - it's so obvious - but why aren't they all Defending the city - isn't that their job.

THIS is what makes this game so frustrating.

However being a big fish in your age certainly helps - tends to put people off just even thinking about it.

I wish all of that was TRUE - but regrettably - it doesn't seem to be.
The following should shed a little light on who was doing what - at least in 4 of the 5 worlds that I'm acquainted with.

I've used the Event History to look for Attacks and Plundering in my cities.

Where - (# of GBs the Attacker has) done by (1 Person or a group) & what they Plundered if anything
City 1 - (13GB) Attack (3 People) / (2GB) Attack (3 People) & Plundering a House / (1GB) Attack (Single)
City 2 - (5GB) Attack (Single) DEFEATED (while I was writing this) / (11GB) Attack (Single) / (8GB) Attack (3 People) / (1GB) Attack (3 People) & Plundering a House
City 3 - (8GB) Attack / (3GB) Attack / (5GB) Attack (3 People)
City 4 - (1GB) Attack (Single) DEFEATED (while I was writing this) / (4GB) Attack (1GB) Attack (3 People) & Plundering the Goats / (1GB) Attack & Plundering Jewelry / (1GB) Attack (3 People) - This guy hit me 3 times within 2 days
City 5 - No Attacks - Pre PvP

All of this happened in the last week. Fortunately - I can now put up a defense.
I came really close to ditching FoE because of this - I simply don't want to hurt someone because I loose perspective because of a game.
Sure - it's only a game - but it's the only thing I've done for a month or more.

As you can see - some of these people are fairly big fish - at least when compared to a newbie like me.
What's I find deplorable is that these people are allowed to TEACH to every low life they can find.

Now - what that little listing doesn't include was the first attack - the Event History only goes back so far.
My City 1 had an Enthusiastic Population at 120% - then my wife called me away - when I returned several hours later - my happy little city was at 50%. I've no idea what was done but nothing I tried was enough to bring it up again. To get room - I blew away most of my Bronze Age Military and my Oracle of Delphi. Imagine Dr. Frankenstein working on his monster - and a full day of shuffling stuff, deleting and rearranging things eventually - It's alive!

Maybe I made a mistake - but I did the same thing on each and every one of my cities - including killing all 5 Delphi Oracles.

Then again

Best defense I've found is collect on time - there will always be someone able to get through your defense and defensive buildings just take up space that could be used for attack or fp production. Keep your defensive army full and accept it as part of the game. You'll only get plundered by hoodies so - try making them friends, wait it out til the hood changes, vary your collection times or age up.

To further invalidate the entire "Be Friends" Idea - several of those people WERE on my friend's list!!!

You guys seem to forget how utterly HARD it is to finding anything you need to know on this site.
I've tried searching for things and most of the time I get distracted by something else - and that doesn't help.
So I try to be a nice guy but taking care of 5 cities means I spend a LOT of time just going through my Friends list.
5 X 80 (give or take) = 400 people - so do that 3 or 4 times a day.
Some of the people I've managed to attract - are bloody useless and I'd like to get rid of them.

My only question is - How do I move them into the Trash!

Emberguard

To further invalidate the entire "Be Friends" Idea - several of those people WERE on my friend's list!!!

You guys seem to forget how utterly HARD it is to finding anything you need to know on this site.
I've tried searching for things and most of the time I get distracted by something else - and that doesn't help.
So I try to be a nice guy but taking care of 5 cities means I spend a LOT of time just going through my Friends list.
Some of the people I've managed to attract - are bloody useless and I'd like to get rid of them.

Click on the username when looking at your friends list (desktop) / click on the player (mobile).

Graviton

The blue decoration is really a button - and it activates which warriors are used for defense.

At the risk of sounding condescending, I'm pretty sure that's covered in the Tutorial.

My City 1 had an Enthusiastic Population at 120% - then my wife called me away - when I returned several hours later - my happy little city was at 50%. I've no idea what was done but nothing I tried was enough to bring it up again.

Likely that motivations and polishes given to you by friends and guildmates expired. That I believe is also covered in the Tutorial.

People on your Friends List cannot attack you.

I don't think the search function is very good here either, but it's not completely useless. There are also two wikis out there, one official and one unofficial, which both have good information. And, as @Algona said, you can always post questions here.

I agree, that's way too much time. Stop aiding everybody every day. Aid people every other day or so, and then just go through your list once. If people have nothing to aid, don't worry about it.

On the PC, go to your FL and click on the player's name. A popup will appear with the option "Remove as Friend". Not sure how it works on mobile.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

DevaCat

Hang on you guys - I've seen this little bit of condescending BS over and over again in this thread and every similar thread like it - and I have to disagree.
Sure - everyone is lazy to a certain extent - but not one thinking person consciously decide to ignore their defense.
Most of us come here to find out what works and how to set it up.
I read - "establish a Spear-fighters defense" so many times - but NOBODY botheres stating exactly how that's done.

I was driving myself nuts - watching one video after another showing the same 2 Spear-fighters getting whacked as my city was breached.
A totally unfair fight - 2 Spear-fighters facing 8 stronger and more powerful opponents.
Nothing I tried made a difference - thinking the limiting factor might be Spear-fighters - I built 2 new barracks for them.
When the next attack happened - I saw the same 2 Spear-fighters getting whacked again.

The problem had to be there - but not be the tired reason given.
Then I looked at the Army Management screen and as the mouse passed over the blue decoration - and a sub-menu popped up.
My Oh My - Silly Me - it's so obvious - but why aren't they all Defending the city - isn't that their job.

I wish all of that was TRUE - but regrettably - it doesn't seem to be.
The following should shed a little light on who was doing what - at least in 4 of the 5 worlds that I'm acquainted with.

I've used the Event History to look for Attacks and Plundering in my cities.

Where - (# of GBs the Attacker has) done by (1 Person or a group) & what they Plundered if anything
City 1 - (13GB) Attack (3 People) / (2GB) Attack (3 People) & Plundering a House / (1GB) Attack (Single)
City 2 - (5GB) Attack (Single) DEFEATED (while I was writing this) / (11GB) Attack (Single) / (8GB) Attack (3 People) / (1GB) Attack (3 People) & Plundering a House
City 3 - (8GB) Attack / (3GB) Attack / (5GB) Attack (3 People)
City 4 - (1GB) Attack (Single) DEFEATED (while I was writing this) / (4GB) Attack (1GB) Attack (3 People) & Plundering the Goats / (1GB) Attack & Plundering Jewelry / (1GB) Attack (3 People) - This guy hit me 3 times within 2 days
City 5 - No Attacks - Pre PvP

All of this happened in the last week. Fortunately - I can now put up a defense.
I came really close to ditching FoE because of this - I simply don't want to hurt someone because I loose perspective because of a game.
Sure - it's only a game - but it's the only thing I've done for a month or more.

As you can see - some of these people are fairly big fish - at least when compared to a newbie like me.
What's I find deplorable is that these people are allowed to TEACH to every low life they can find.

Now - what that little listing doesn't include was the first attack - the Event History only goes back so far.
My City 1 had an Enthusiastic Population at 120% - then my wife called me away - when I returned several hours later - my happy little city was at 50%. I've no idea what was done but nothing I tried was enough to bring it up again. To get room - I blew away most of my Bronze Age Military and my Oracle of Delphi. Imagine Dr. Frankenstein working on his monster - and a full day of shuffling stuff, deleting and rearranging things eventually - It's alive!

Maybe I made a mistake - but I did the same thing on each and every one of my cities - including killing all 5 Delphi Oracles.

Then again

If it's any consolation, you aren't alone in having some trouble setting up a defense army (DA) -- others have had the same problem. The game defaults to the two-spear DA if you don't set one up (or if you forget to, as I must sheepishly confess to having once done in my youngest city).

Now, the discussion about the 2 spear fighter DA taking place here is because this DA setup has been recommended in this guide and elsewhere as a means to deter attackers/plunderers, and many (myself included) believe this is terrible advice.

You mentioned building spear-fighter barracks, yet in your event history the buildings are Iron Age, and you also mention that you had to delete some (all?) Bronze Age barracks and Oracles to make space. Your Bronze Age military are obsolete and should be replaced asap. Putting up a full 8 of last-age units is almost as bad as the default 2-spear DA imho. Put up the best units you have in your DA. When you acquire above-age units, your DA is an excellent place for them to reside -- nice surprise for the hood rats and the bonus is they don't get killed even when your DA is beaten.

Over a weeks time you had 2 houses, a goatyard and a jeweler plundered, over 4 cities? I'm surprised the number of attacks and plunders were that low. :) You can't get attacked by a group, just by one player at a time. Although one attacker may have told his friends about your 2-spear DA and said "Hey guys, the welcome mat's out!" Do check out the "plunder progress" thread for some eye-opening insights (and chuckles).

In your event history you list attackers by the number of GBs they own. A better way to look at them is their position in the neighborhood. Are they top 5? Top 10? So where in the neighborhood of 80 or so does your city fall? If the city falls in that second half it will be a target each time a quest calls for "win x battles", so getting your city into the top ten will greatly reduce the number of attacks on it. Not completely eliminate attacks, but greatly reduce them.

StarEyed

Greatings and Salutations

Now, the discussion about the 2 spear fighter DA taking place here is because this DA setup has been recommended in this guide and elsewhere as a means to deter attackers/plunderers, and many (myself included) believe this is terrible advice.
Personally - it's the SURPRISE that is terrible - not your advice. It does work - at least to a degree.
Since establishing the DA setup (which happened BEFORE I wrote anything here) I've only been attacked a couple time in any city and was only defeated once. Since then - I do get Attacked and occasionally Plundered - but it's now on a weekly basis - not 2 or 3 times a day.

You mentioned building spear-fighter barracks, yet in your event history the buildings are Iron Age, and you also mention that you had to delete some (all?) Bronze Age barracks and Oracles to make space. Your Bronze Age military are obsolete and should be replaced asap. Putting up a full 8 of last-age units is almost as bad as the default 2-spear DA imho. Put up the best units you have in your DA. When you acquire above-age units, your DA is an excellent place for them to reside -- nice surprise for the hood rats and the bonus is they don't get killed even when your DA is beaten.
A minor misunderstanding.
While reading this thread and others - I saw the term "Spear thrower Defense" given but I could not find a reference showing how it was done.
I didn't have any Spear throwers - but I saw them getting killed on the video.
As a last resort I decided to do exactly what the thread stated - no matter how silly it sounded.
So I add a couple cheap barracks for Spear throwers - didn't want them getting cold or lonely.
Again they died and there were only two of them - since nothing had changed - the barracks were quickly discarded.
Second Item - Deleting ALL of the Oracles was my biggest mistakes - justified only by my watching YouTube and listening to a Guild-mate.
Even then - deleting ALL of them was STUPID.

Over a weeks time you had 2 houses, a goatyard and a jeweler plundered, over 4 cities? I'm surprised the number of attacks and plunders were that low. :) You can't get attacked by a group, just by one player at a time. Although one attacker may have told his friends about your 2-spear DA and said "Hey guys, the welcome mat's out!" Do check out the "plunder progress" thread for some eye-opening insights (and chuckles).
As far as the "groups" go - I assumed they were a group - if not - then what was I seeing at the end of the Attack Video?
Attached are two cut down screen shots: the first "Not Defeat" was obviously the first time I didn't get a sucker-punch - and there are 3 people listed.
The second is "Friends" showing my Friends List with one of those guys on it.
"Plunder Progress" - I have read bits and pieces of this thread but not all of it - and you are right - it is an eye-opener. I wish I'd read even a portion of it before I started this - but then again - it's always that way.

In your event history you list attackers by the number of GBs they own. A better way to look at them is their position in the neighborhood. Are they top 5? Top 10? So where in the neighborhood of 80 or so does your city fall? If the city falls in that second half it will be a target each time a quest calls for "win x battles", so getting your city into the top ten will greatly reduce the number of attacks on it. Not completely eliminate attacks, but greatly reduce them.
I only looked at my first city (position 30) - most of the others are lower (2, 3, 5, 9, 10, 15, 16 & 24) but a few were higher (32, 35 & 46).
I assume you're reasoning is correct. :)

Attachments

• Not Defeat.png
    Not Defeat.png
    420.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Friends.png
    Friends.png
    168 KB · Views: 10

Alpha Persei

If you aid the attacker’s city or donate to one of their Great Buildings ...

DO NOT ASSUME YOU ARE IMPORTANT
ENOUGH THAT THEY EVEN NOTICE ... !!!!

You should be proactive defending your city, and if you message an attacker, think hard, use humor, and see if there is anything you can do to stop attacks.

DON’T PLAY THE HELPLESS VICTIM CARD

We are Forging Empires here, not making daisy chains ... :D

facts !

Witold17

It is very rare that a defending army can win, so it does not make sense to invest in defending. It looks like the war game was rigged against the defending side on purpose. The developers should put some minimum of intelligence into the defending army. The problem sis that the defending army is shooting at the assassins first, and any player, even the silliest one, knows to do the opposite. I have raised it several time - to no effect. So until it's changed, stop wasting efforts on defenses. Any army with 1 and 7 assassins of a sensible player will beat you. Two spear-men will do for the defense equally well..

BruteForceAttack

It is very rare that a defending army can win, so it does not make sense to invest in defending. It looks like the war game was rigged against the defending side on purpose. The developers should put some minimum of intelligence into the defending army. The problem sis that the defending army is shooting at the assassins first, and any player, even the silliest one, knows to do the opposite. I have raised it several time - to no effect. So until it's changed, stop wasting efforts on defenses. Any army with 1 and 7 assassins of a sensible player will beat you. Two spear-men will do for the defense equally well..

If ppl can defend easily then they login to the game often.

DevaCat

Greatings and Salutations

Personally - it's the SURPRISE that is terrible - not your advice. It does work - at least to a degree.
Since establishing the DA setup (which happened BEFORE I wrote anything here) I've only been attacked a couple time in any city and was only defeated once. Since then - I do get Attacked and occasionally Plundered - but it's now on a weekly basis - not 2 or 3 times a day.

A minor misunderstanding.
While reading this thread and others - I saw the term "Spear thrower Defense" given but I could not find a reference showing how it was done.
I didn't have any Spear throwers - but I saw them getting killed on the video.
As a last resort I decided to do exactly what the thread stated - no matter how silly it sounded.
So I add a couple cheap barracks for Spear throwers - didn't want them getting cold or lonely.
Again they died and there were only two of them - since nothing had changed - the barracks were quickly discarded.
Second Item - Deleting ALL of the Oracles was my biggest mistakes - justified only by my watching YouTube and listening to a Guild-mate.
Even then - deleting ALL of them was STUPID.

As far as the "groups" go - I assumed they were a group - if not - then what was I seeing at the end of the Attack Video?
Attached are two cut down screen shots: the first "Not Defeat" was obviously the first time I didn't get a sucker-punch - and there are 3 people listed.
The second is "Friends" showing my Friends List with one of those guys on it.
"Plunder Progress" - I have read bits and pieces of this thread but not all of it - and you are right - it is an eye-opener. I wish I'd read even a portion of it before I started this - but then again - it's always that way.

I only looked at my first city (position 30) - most of the others are lower (2, 3, 5, 9, 10, 15, 16 & 24) but a few were higher (32, 35 & 46).
I assume you're reasoning is correct. :)
The three people listed in the top half of the "Not Defeat" screen shot are people listed in the pvp Tower, not a gang that attacked your city. Your friend is shown there because he is fighting using troops of the age of that tower and has earned a position in that tower's list. Someone on your friend list can NOT attack you. Only one player can attack at a time, and to find out who it is you must go to the event history in your town hall.

You are misunderstanding neighborhood ranking I think. Number 1 is the strongest most developed city in the hood. If the hood was only 1 thru 46, then 46 is the weakest, and your city at 30 means it's down near the bottom.

Otherwise, since you're only getting hit about once a week now it sounds like an improvement. It gets better if you work at it. Good luck.

Plain Red Justice

Maybe deleting Tactician towers, Deal Castle, SBC and Watchfires would help improve the game. They serve no purpose since even 1000%s seems to be easily breachable while P2W'ing for TTowers is still bad since defense is left to an unreliable AI. Reducing the amount of noobtraps would help everyone as a whole (more city space = more Theaters) and I can stop unironically FP swapping to a random SBC/Deal Castle.

StarEyed

did you get your Booty plundered?:eek:

Yes - but not that often.
I got attacked a few times - not a big thing.
What did hurt - and most of that was the timing - was the Plundering.
Nobody seemed to be interested in Plundering when all I had was Lumber and Dye - but add a Jewelry suddenly you start wondering if you're ever going to be able to collect.

Plain Red Justice

One of the most memorable moments of plundering in FOE is coming across a city with a plunderable Gondola Dock Market, clicking on top of it only to get 2 (two) Victory Medals in the process. It is indeed true that the IQ of a person is inversely proportional to his total amount of battles

DevaCat

One of the most memorable moments of plundering in FOE is coming across a city with a plunderable Gondola Dock Market, clicking on top of it only to get 2 (two) Victory Medals in the process. It is indeed true that the IQ of a person is inversely proportional to his total amount of battles
Ah, but having seen your battle count, I'm not sure it's wise to make that IQ claim.

Some people will set productions to junk thinking it will deter plunderers. Some even advise doing this as a good strategy. In reality, it usually only irritates the attacker guaranteeing more visits.

Last edited: