• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

I just microwaved my hand!

Farfle the smelly

@Nicholas002 - If you are like most guys, you won't -- but if you still have symptoms tomorrow you should get that checked by a dr. And get rid of the mal functioning microwave.

And among the funniest stupid things I did will get @gintama090 smiling. I had fake fingernails done for my wedding - ya kno long & pretty. Then that night for our honeymoon -- I used matches to light candles - romance, right? Well I accidentally caught those long fingernails on fire. And boy did that room get really stinky from toasted fingernails. :)
Beauty is pain, girl!

Zatrikon

The microwaves generated by a microwave oven have a wavelength equal to the length of a molecule of water*. So that any water molecules hit by the waves will vibrate along with the waves. This heats up the water and eventually boils it. The heat from the water heats up the rest of the food. But any substance with no water in it will likely not be affected by the microwaves. If you put a rock in a microwave, it won't heat up, because the rock has no water in it. If you wet down the surface of the rock and then microwave it, the water will boil away and heat up the surface of the rock, but chances are, the inside of the rock will remain the same temperature, since the water won't penetrate that far, and the heat won't transfer that quickly. Likewise, if you put a piece of hard candy or salt grains in a microwave - they won't heat up, because there's no water in them.

If you microwave your hand somehow, that's bad. Not because of radiation, but because it heats up the water that's in your flesh. You can scald yourself from the inside. Remember the human body is made up of 90% water (or whatever the percentage is, I forget). The muscle tissue, the blood, etc. - lots of water in there.

*That's an imprecise, layman's way of describing it.

Last edited:

gianteagle

i rode on a cattle sqeeze while the tractor was moving it a we hit a bump and the front hooks fell and i fell off and nearly broke every bone in my body. it was in the spring and I fell in a puddle

Lady Gato

i rode on a cattle sqeeze while the tractor was moving it a we hit a bump and the front hooks fell and i fell off and nearly broke every bone in my body. it was in the spring and I fell in a puddle
Probably was good that there were puddles around to cushion your fall somewhat. You could've died otherwise. I do feel your pain, though.

DevaCat

Tractor + accident = usually really bad. Glad you survived it! When I was younger I worked with my granddad's '49 Ford red belly, with plow, discs, bush hog and scrape, but we didnt have cattle. So what's a cattle squeeze? Btw, does Sask = Saskatchewan?

emmagirl2

I was running in school I fell over hit my cheek and ended up 1 meter away from where I fell I was 8 at the time
My cheek was purple and blue and had a lump for a long time
My leg and part of my face was bleeding and I had carpet burn
Then I got sent home

Lady Gato

Tractor + accident = usually really bad. Glad you survived it! When I was younger I worked with my granddad's '49 Ford red belly, with plow, discs, bush hog and scrape, but we didnt have cattle. So what's a cattle squeeze? Btw, does Sask = Saskatchewan?
It's a device that you funnel a steer (or cow or bull) into and the sides collapse down on each side to hold the animal. Then you doctor the animal - give shots, look at eyes, etc. It doesn't hurt the animal and it, usually, doesn't hurt the person. The device can be portable and pulled from place to place. Or it could be built into a corral or sometimes in a barn. Once you are done working with the animal, you release the sides which pop out a bit so the animal isn't squeezed anymore then you open the front gate so the animal can run out, then close the gate and run the next animal in. Think of it like wrapping your cat in a bath towel to hold it while you are taking it to the vet.