• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

I know I know

DeletedUser34

that Veteran's day was yesterday. But many are celebrating it today. I saw this, and thought it was awesome.

4gg68n.jpg

DeletedUser

Sweet & Amen. There are many who don't realize it is not just the dead but many who have lost almost as much just to let others keep their right to degrade everything the military fights to protect. It is also a blessing that the country is viewing THEIR military as more than "baby killers". The military doesn't chose their wars, the country does. ;)

DeletedUser

Thank you to all who appreciate my brothers and sisters in Arms!

DeletedUser4844

While I have nothing against veterans, and believe they deserve respect and gratitude, the day used to be called armistice day and celebrated the day we defeated the nazis. Now, at the time, we were still at war with the Japanese, but for many, many people peace broke out at the time. It was an end to fighting for them, and those who had survived knew they would likely continue to do so for awhile. In my opinion, an end to ANY war, particularly a world war like that, deserves a celebration. At the time people thought of World ar 2 (just like an earlier generation had thought of world war 1) as the last war. Obviously this was not to be. However, I feel that at least one holiday to celebrate the end of wars is entirely appropriate. Far more of a joyous event, and so deserving of celebration (as opposed to, say, commemoration), then veterans.

In the US people tend to be very gung ho about starting wars, often feeling they are righteous and necessary for various reasons. The cost of wars, in killed, injured, maimed, and even dollars, is almost never worth the benefit, aside perhaps, for a lucky few at the top who either profit by selling weaponry/vehicles and the like, or who get reelected because the people become distracted from domestic woes. The ending of wars, however, is almost always an unalloyed good for all sides. So I wish we still called the holiday armistice day.

DeletedUser

I still observe Victory day. (also known as VJ-day) Not all states dropped it.

DeletedUser4844

Huh. Didn't know that. Glad to... read it.

Based on wikipedia, assuming you live in the US, you must live in Hawaii or Rhode Island.

DeletedUser4628

A huge thank you to all our veterans for their service - today and every day they deserve our gratitude.

DeletedUser

Minor correction Armistice Day commemorates the end of WWI, not WWII. Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it. - Churchill

DeletedUser

War is hell ~ William Tecumseh Sherman.

i believe that veterans deserve honor and respect. i also believe that janitors, farmers, poets, and all others deserve honor and respect as well. when people finally realize that we cannot GAIN when we HARM ourselves, maybe then we'll stop all the fighting and learn to live in peace.

war is over if you want it ~ John Lennon

DeletedUser

It's my conviction that EVERY AMERICAN owes respect and support to our veterans and troops in service regardless of any opinions or beliefs about current or past conflicts.

the day used to be called armistice day and celebrated the day we defeated the nazis... (deleted)... So I wish we still called the holiday armistice day.

I just wanted to make a friendly correction here. (from wiki) "Armistice Day (which coincides with Remembrance Day and Veterans Day, public holidays) is commemorated every year on 11 November to mark the armistice signed between the Allies of World War I and Germany at Compiègne, France, for the cessation of hostilities on the Western Front of World War I, which took effect at eleven o'clock in the morning—the "eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month" of 1918." German troops in WWI were not Nazis, they were under the command of their MONARCH - Kiser Wilhelm. The surrender of Nazi Germany in WWII is popularly labeled as VE Day. Its notable that MANY of the countries allied in WWI adopted the same date as a day to honor ALL the allied soldiers who fought and died.

EricVonZipper