• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[I.R.L.] Backyard Flora and Fauna

Captain Christian

List of confirmed birds:
  1. 1-3 unidentified species of Hummingbird(s)
  2. Pileated Woodpecker
  3. Northern Flicker
  4. Northern Mockingbird
  5. Canada Goose
  6. Cardinal
  7. Blue Jay
  8. Blue Bird
  9. Robin
  10. Kingfisher
  11. Some kind of waterfowl that looks like a cross between a duck and a heron
  12. Crane
  13. Turkey Vulture
  14. Osprey
  15. Seagull
  16. Bald Eagle
  17. Unidentified species of Vulture
  18. Bat (It has wings, so why not?)
  19. Mourning Dove
  20. Pigeon
  21. Wild Turkey
  22. Domestic Turkey
  23. Domestic Chicken
That is everything I can think of at the moment. I know we have owls, but I have never seen any with my own eyes, so I am not sure about them.

Last edited:

DeletedUser40777

I’m on a very small island - actually a sandbar 28 mi long and at widest part probably 1/4 mi wide. Mostly we’ve got squirrels, raccoons, possums. Some rattlsnakes, cottonmouth. Beach mice and crabs. Alligators on the bay side- some pretty damn big. Had a 10’ but Fish & Wildlife won’t relocate any over 5’. Get the smaller ones living beneath the boardwalks along the bike trails. Every so often we get a bear, bobcat or wild pig swimming over. We have a MASSIVE coyote problem. Have at least 50 on small area. Used to have a huge feral cat problem. Then the coyote population grew. No cats now. Coyotes have jumped fences and killed dogs in yards. 3 of my dogs were attacked it the middle of the day. With people as close as 15’ away. One came out of the bushes beside our driveway, grabbed up my dachshund and started to run away. Dropped the dog when we chased it. My pitbull and lab found a pack 30’ from our house. Pups and adults. Lab ran, pitbull stayed and fought 2 adults. Her vet bill was $2000 -but a lot of the blood on her was coyote. Pitbulls really do fight well.
Can’t go anywhere without seeing an osprey or bald eagle (they used to hunt the cats).
And stingray, just about every type of shark - pulled in daily by beach fishing.And pods of bottlenose dolphin. Sorry for the length.
Middle of nowhere is where the wildlife lives.
If you know anything about coyote management - please share.

DeletedUser40777

List of confirmed birds:
  2. Pileated Woodpecker
  3. Northern Flicker
  4. Northern Mockingbird
  5. Canada Goose
  6. Cardinal
  7. Blue Jay
  8. Blue Bird
  9. Robin
  10. Kingfisher
  12. Crane
  13. Turkey Vulture
  14. Osprey
  15. Seagull
  16. Bald Eagle
  19. Mourning Dove
  20. Pigeon
That is everything I can think of at the moment. I know we have owls, but I have never seen any with my own eyes, so I am not sure about them.
We’ve got a couple kingfisher that always sit in the same place on the bridge for years now. So damn cute. And the only birds at our feeder are mourning doves. Their call is so peaceful. Where do you live? You’re in a birders’ paradise.

DeletedUser40777

I didn’t even think about the birds except for the raptors. We have mostly egrets, barn owls, great blue herons, sandpipers, the ubiquitous seagulls and pelicans and some kind of loon that can’t walk on land. We’re a resting spot on migration path from Mexico/Central America so we get some of the most colorful small birds - bright yellow, neon blue, turquoise, orange - for a week every year.
And monarch butterflies migrate thru. So thick in the air that your windshield gets covered during the 5 miles across the bridge.
And the idiot woodpeckers that drill on the metal roofs.

DeletedUser40777

List of confirmed birds:
  2. Pileated Woodpecker
  3. Northern Flicker
  4. Northern Mockingbird
  5. Canada Goose
  6. Cardinal
  7. Blue Jay
  8. Blue Bird
  9. Robin
  10. Kingfisher
  12. Crane
  13. Turkey Vulture
  14. Osprey
  15. Seagull
  16. Bald Eagle
  19. Mourning Dove
  20. Pigeon
Oooh, we hated Canadian Geese in NJ. Destroying lawns and pooping everywhere. And starlings (or maybe grackles). Thousands sitting in trees making so much noise the city used cannons to scare them away.

DeletedUser40777

Forgot about the lizards until my cat just ran thru the room chasing a green one. Also have much bigger brown ones. And cute tiny tree frogs. And those vile cicadas -so loud you can’t hear a person next to you talking. And those hideous palmetto bugs (a prettier name for giant flying cockroaches).

Super Catanian

Wildlife, eh? There is a family of squirrels living in the roof of my house. My sister tried to scare them away with music. I should also mention that their residence within the roof is pretty close to my room...

I had a blast that night.

The Lady Redneck

Here in South MS.
Some of the birds just pass though others are resident Hummers (Ruby throats and Rufus) Indigo buntings, Painted buntings, Golden Oriols, A couple of variety of warblers. Chickadees, Red Cardinals, Carolina Wrens. Mocking Birds, golden Oriols, Blue Jays, sparrows, cow birds, cat birds, house finches, golden finches. Rose Breasted Grosbeaks, American Robins, Red Thrashers, Blue birds, Martins. Turkeys, Owls, Red Tailed Kites, Swallow Tailed kites. Buzzards, And no doubt more I have forgotten about.
Possums, Skunks, Raccoons, Squirrels, Coyotes, Armadillos, White Tailed Deer, Gopher turtles. Even the occasional black bear.
Green lizards, Skinks, Various species of snakes King snakes I will leave alone as they eat other snakes. Apart from them I do not pay that much attention to what kinds of snake they are, I usually see them when I am mowing and make sure the mower blades deal with them.
More bugs and butterfly's than I can think of.