• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[I.R.L] What’s everyone’s favorite books and movies

AwesomeAadi10

Hi, it seems the tavern’s been a big place for IRL questions so I’m proposing a question just to get to know everyone better. What’s your favorite movie and/or book? For books I’m split between Harry Potter and Percy Jackson. For movies, I really like Harry Potter but I think I might like Marvel’s Black Panther better. What about you guys?

Farfle the smelly

I’m oldish and possibly boring.

Film: Baraka (documentary/cinematographers acid trip)

Book: too many to list but I remember my first favorite was Caravan. I’d say the series that always makes me happy to reread is The Raven Boys (I’m an adult/YA fantasy and sci-fi reader mostly). I’m currently rereading Tigana because I’m in a TBR drought. So stinkin’ good, though, so I don’t mind much.

Edit: while I loved the HP movies, I just could not get into the books. I’ve quit twice now on book one. |-:

Graviton

I'm currently reading The Expanse series, which is the best sci-fi I've read in a long time. I watched the first three seasons of the TV adaptation and decided to read the books. Glad I did.

One of my favorite movies is Mystery Men, a superhero spoof with an all-star cast that came before the Great Superhero Movie Era.

Captain Christian

My top three of each:

Books:
  1. K.J.B.
  2. The Hardy Boys ("Flashlight" editions, not this new stuff they claim do the the Hardy Boys justice.)
  3. Classic Books, e.g.: Sherelock Holmes, Around The World in 80 Days, 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea(s), Treasure Island, etc.
Movies:
  1. Disney's The Love Bug
  2. Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory (Although Charlie's Chocolate Factory is truer to the book, I still have a bias towards older movies.)
  3. DisneyNature documentaries

UBERhelp1

Books:
Red Rising trilogy. (Think hunger games meets enders game)
Enders Shadow (and the resulting shadow saga)
Ready Player One (the movie is not representative of the book at all)

I have such a long list of books to read next... not enough time. Also, audio books ftw.

Movies:
Movies in the MCU.
Star Wars ep. 1-6. (I like to forget about 7-9.)
Get Out

Last edited:

Farfle the smelly

I'm currently reading The Expanse series, which is the best sci-fi I've read in a long time. I watched the first three seasons of the TV adaptation and decided to read the books. Glad I did.

Did the show not do SUCH a great job with the ending of book 1? It looked just how I imagined.

Books:
Red Rising trilogy. (Think hunger games meets enders game)
Enders Shadow (and the resulting shadow saga)
Ready Player One (the movie is not representative of the book at all)

I have turned so many folks onto Rising. Your adrenaline is pretty much at max through the entire read. Sadly, I couldn’t get into RP1. I couldn’t even pinpoint why exactly.

The Lady Redneck

Where to start!!!!

Books.. I am a bookaholic. And like real books better than electronic ones to read. Could not list them all
The Bible comes first (doing a Read The bible in a year thing again)
At the moment am Reading Lee Child's latest Jack Reacher book (I have them all)
Just finished re-reading the first Shannara trilogy by Terry Brooks. (Have all the Shannara books)
Books I have read more than once and will read again include. The Stand by Stephen King. War and Peace, The Hobbit and LOTR. Anything by Dickens (Have the complete works) Agatha Christie, Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series .

Movies
Avatar (Really hoping the new Avatar film gets completed and released)
The Bone Collector
Silence of the Lambs
Hobbit and LOTR
Also love all the really old Hammer house of Horror movies, Like The Curse of Dracula and Frankenstein, The Pit and the Pendulum and Fall of the House of Usher. The Mummy, To the Devil a Daughter ETC. They actually made the first Zombie movie back in 1966.
Star Trek movies.
Alien
One movie I have never watched right through but want to give it another go is a Sci-Fi Movie called Event Horizon. Some real gruesome and mentally scary stuff there.

Farfle the smelly

Where to start!!!!
One movie I have never watched right through but want to give it another go is a Sci-Fi Movie called Event Horizon. Some real gruesome and mentally scary stuff there.

Oooh, I just watched a trailer for this. I love anything related to theoretical physics. And Lawrence fishburne looks so young, wow! I’m feeling old.

Alpha Persei

Where to start!!!!

Books.. I am a bookaholic. And like real books better than electronic ones to read. Could not list them all
The Bible comes first (doing a Read The bible in a year thing again)
At the moment am Reading Lee Child's latest Jack Reacher book (I have them all)
Just finished re-reading the first Shannara trilogy by Terry Brooks. (Have all the Shannara books)
Books I have read more than once and will read again include. The Stand by Stephen King. War and Peace, The Hobbit and LOTR. Anything by Dickens (Have the complete works) Agatha Christie, Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series .

Movies
Avatar (Really hoping the new Avatar film gets completed and released)
The Bone Collector
Silence of the Lambs
Hobbit and LOTR
Also love all the really old Hammer house of Horror movies, Like The Curse of Dracula and Frankenstein, The Pit and the Pendulum and Fall of the House of Usher. The Mummy, To the Devil a Daughter ETC. They actually made the first Zombie movie back in 1966.
Star Trek movies.
Alien

OMG u watched LOTR .that's so cool !!
i rarely find anyone that had watched it XD

Alpha Persei

i don't have much of a favourite movie . like i watch
LOTR, Hobbits, under world ,blade..

but for books , i have a lot !
1) Percy Jackson ( and any other books by rick riordan)
2) court of thorns and roses and the entire series (and any other books by sarah j maas)
3) Maximum ride
4)maze runner( didn't really like the last book)

and there is more,just can't bring up any more at the moment XD

Captain Christian

fun fact of the day: I know one of the authors of The Hardy Boys. (of course under a pen name)

Books: I used to love the Lord of the Rings series. don't have much time to read now...
Movies: Marvel Cinematic Universe movies.
Who? McFarlane? That's the problem with having multiple people using the same pseudonym...

DevaCat

Debated about joining this, but since it's skewing young, here goes.

Movies: film noir, especially pre-code 30's movies. After that they produced mainly pap for decades. Anything by Alfred Hitchcock, he was a giant. Later, the original Cape Fear -- Robert Mitchum still scares the bejezus out of me! The Hammer horror flicks were great. I loved the Incredible Dr. Phibes, Vincent Price was wonderful. There was one very dark film, Boris Karloff and Bella Lugosi, wherein Boris manages to capture Bella in his Bauhaus castle and proceeds to flay him alive over extenuated dialog. Pretty ghoulish for something we could see on Saturday night after midnight. You youngsters can look up flaying, and maybe a cinemaphile can give us the name of that movie. And yes, back then we had 3 or at most 4 tv channels to watch, and the horror (or sci-fi) movie on Saturday was basically cheap filler until the test patterns popped up and we were done for the night. A different age.

Books: there are so many, can't do them justice. Just to mess with those of you who have promoted the KJ version of the bible, oh come on, how about a closer translation to the words which were actually put down? Translations are important, don't you think? Anchor Bible has a number of books which didn't make the politico-religious cut at a certain time in history, well worth reading. Now, if you are willing to risk losing your grasp on conventional thinking entirely, try Zechariah Sitchen's The 12th Planet: the Earth Chronicals. You might never return to your old world view. Could quite possibly blow your mind. Of course, a bit of Zen Buddhism could do the same lol.

Oh, I have to mention the movie that scared the crap out of me. Trinity College, free Saturday night horror flick. We were from a boarding school, stoned (not recommending it lol), 1969-70, and the movie was George Romero's original Night of the Living Dead. After it was done, we fled to our vehicle, nothing else to do!