• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[I.R.L] What’s everyone’s favorite books and movies

Super Catanian

Books: The Bible, and Chopin's Nocturnes for the piano. Nobody has mentioned sheet music books, so I'll be the first!

Movies: The Day After Tomorrow (the suspense and sappy ending!), and Ice Age: Continental Drift (such epic humour throughout).

Farfle the smelly

Debated about joining this, but since it's skewing young, here goes.

Movies: film noir, especially pre-code 30's movies. After that they produced mainly pap for decades. Anything by Alfred Hitchcock, he was a giant. Later, the original Cape Fear -- Robert Mitchum still scares the bejezus out of me! The Hammer horror flicks were great. I loved the Incredible Dr. Phibes, Vincent Price was wonderful. There was one very dark film, Boris Karloff and Bella Lugosi, wherein Boris manages to capture Bella in his Bauhaus castle and proceeds to flay him alive over extenuated dialog. Pretty ghoulish for something we could see on Saturday night after midnight. You youngsters can look up flaying, and maybe a cinemaphile can give us the name of that movie. And yes, back then we had 3 or at most 4 tv channels to watch, and the horror (or sci-fi) movie on Saturday was basically cheap filler until the test patterns popped up and we were done for the night. A different age.

Books: there are so many, can't do them justice. Just to mess with those of you who have promoted the KJ version of the bible, oh come on, how about a closer translation to the words which were actually put down? Translations are important, don't you think? Anchor Bible has a number of books which didn't make the politico-religious cut at a certain time in history, well worth reading. Now, if you are willing to risk losing your grasp on conventional thinking entirely, try Zechariah Sitchen's The 12th Planet: the Earth Chronicals. You might never return to your old world view. Could quite possibly blow your mind. Of course, a bit of Zen Buddhism could do the same lol.

Oh, I have to mention the movie that scared the crap out of me. Trinity College, free Saturday night horror flick. We were from a boarding school, stoned (not recommending it lol), 1969-70, and the movie was George Romero's original Night of the Living Dead. After it was done, we fled to our vehicle, nothing else to do!
There were two books that really made me think in the last year. One due to a mind pretzel of a magic system and one that was basically philosophy in a fictional setting. I think you might like the last one, but I’m recommending both because you, like me, like to think when you read.

1. Vita Nostra (pretzel)
2. Too Like The Lightning (philosophy)

Definitely pick up #2. It’s amazing. It’s like ‘what would happen if we really did implement all the modern values of our society? How stable would we be?’ It’s fascinating.

Ericness

Books:
Some authors with many works I love include: Hunter S. Thompson, Brandon Sanderson, Haruki Murakami, Kim Stanley Robinson, NK Jemisin, and P. Djeli Clarke.

Also I highly enjoy the original six Dune books and Colleen McCullogh's Masters of Rome series.

Movies:
Not all that into movies. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, the original Star Wars films, Pulp Fiction, and Monty Python's Quest for the Holy Grail are my old standbys. Maybe Star Trek II - IV as well.

Farfle the smelly

L
Books:
Some authors with many works I love include: Hunter S. Thompson, Brandon Sanderson, Haruki Murakami, Kim Stanley Robinson, NK Jemisin, and P. Djeli Clarke.

Also I highly enjoy the original six Dune books and Colleen McCullogh's Masters of Rome series.

Movies:
Not all that into movies. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, the original Star Wars films, Pulp Fiction, and Monty Python's Quest for the Holy Grail are my old standbys. Maybe Star Trek II - IV as well.
Love Jemisin SO much.

Edited to add: I think I like best that she doesn’t stick with one prose style. Every book/series is different from the last in terms of sentence structure and rhythm. She’s a beast, and I would worship her if she let me. Did you know she’s a uni professor in her ‘real’ life? How these folks do both is frankly beyond me.