• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

I vehemently dislike the "Find Friends" feature.

I wish there was a way to opt-out of showing up on people's "Find Friends" interfaces. Since I'm in Iron Age I get a bunch of people from EMA, IA, and BA who don't offer anything useful that I want in a friendship. I guess they see a 40.3M Iron Age player and think "Wow, I would love to be friends with this guy". It's annoying because I ask people to make room on their friends list and then send me a friend invite to help out with some trades, but somebody who found me through the "Find Friends" interface has already sent an invite so my friends list ends up becoming full again (so the trader can't send me a friend invite because my list is full). I have to remove their invite and pray that they don't send another invite. I really don't want to set people on ignore willy-nilly but this "Find Friends" feature is making me do it.

It's kinda sad that I can't suggest to opt out of "Find Friends" because it's on the DNSL to opt out of game features.

wolfhoundtoo

Why don't you just send a friend request to the trader you are trying to friend? there is no limit anymore on the number of friend requests you can send other than the max number of friends (the 80 person limit was done away with).

also drop more than 1 person if you need to keep a spot open and the person you are asking is full up. Tough to believe everyone on your list is worth the spot if you need that trade badly enough.

Why don't you just send a friend request to the trader you are trying to friend? there is no limit anymore on the number of friend requests you can send other than the max number of friends (the 80 person limit was done away with).

also drop more than 1 person if you need to keep a spot open and the person you are asking is full up. Tough to believe everyone on your list is worth the spot if you need that trade badly enough.
Because their friends list has reached the max of 140 friends and they need to find one person to kick out first (if I want to send them the invite). Since I'm not going to be online when they find the one person to cut, it's best for them to send me the friend request so I know when they've cut somebody out. Also even with the new 140 friends max, I've filled it up with more snipe targets and traders. I try to keep 5 spots open at a time but I always seem to get 5 invites from new useless players within a few hours.

Ebeondi Asi

Everyone gets players asking to be Friends. The main way I think of it is my city is attractive. So players want to become friends.
Some just random, some want to get bluepritns of Great Buildings I own, some to try to snipe me.It is part of the game.

wolfhoundtoo

And an offer can't be come to you if there is a pending invitation? Even if that's the case it drop more then if you want the trade that badly. From what I'm reading you basically want to be able to get the best use out of some random souls you find but don't want anyone to benefit from you. Not a lot of sympathy for you. :rolleyes:

Keep 20 open if you are getting 20 random invites a DAY then you might want to ask what you are doing that brings in all of these invites. Staying in iron age where all of the new players might reasonably think that others might need friends like they do? Perhaps all of those snipe resources you have been cultivating might know or be friends with those 'random' invitations you are getting so regularly.

Make some changes to what you are doing if the way it is currently is blocking you from getting the trades you need or you can just keep complaining here (maybe it's good therapy?) but don't expect anyone from Inno to come along and say "gee why didn't we think of changing that". :)

And an offer can't be come to you if there is a pending invitation?
No, because an invitation I get from a random person takes up space on my friends list, so if a trader sends me a friend request, he will see that I cannot have more friends.

From what I'm reading you basically want to be able to get the best use out of some random souls you find but don't want anyone to benefit from you. Not a lot of sympathy for you.
Well who can benefit from me as a friend other than aiding and taverning? Anybody else could aid and tavern, and it's silly for a low-developed player to befriend me because I get my goods from other partners and won't take trades that are less than 100 goods. They should be going to players of their own caliber who are more receptive to taking trades of smaller scales. If they want to get a spot on my GBs, all they could do is ask instead of an unsolicited friend invite.

Perhaps all of those snipe resources you have been cultivating might know or be friends with those 'random' invitations you are getting so regularly.
I doubt some random person in OF with a sweet spot Arc would be friends with an Iron Age player who only has an Oracle and unboosted goods buildings. The only way somebody in IA could get ahold of me with an unsolicited friend invite is with the find friends feature.

I guess I could continue complaining here for therapy. It's amusing.

Pericles the Lion

I try to keep 5 spots open at a time but I always seem to get 5 invites from new useless players within a few hours.
We were all "new useless players" at a point. Some more recently than others. You got your start in June '21 and obviously got a lot of help from friends. I'm pretty sure that the advanced players that gave you a leg up didn't find you. Instead, you found them. Don't you feel a little bit obligated to pay back their generosity by helping other new players get started?

We were all "new useless players" at a point. Some more recently than others. You got your start in June '21 and obviously got a lot of help from friends. I'm pretty sure that the advanced players that gave you a leg up didn't find you. Instead, you found them. Don't you feel a little bit obligated to pay back their generosity by helping other new players get started?
No, because I asked people to help me out. Very different dynamic than somebody sending me a friend request out of the blue. If somebody asked me if they needed help then that’s a different story and I would follow through.

Ebeondi Asi

This is a non-issue. The comments (both the OP and responders) all make it clear the OP just wants what he wants, and forget anyone else. No problem.

This is a non-issue. The comments (both the OP and responders) all make it clear the OP just wants what he wants, and forget anyone else. No problem.
It becomes an issue when you have people spamming invites to you through the Find Friends menu, and that just means more people I have to put on Ignore.

Ebeondi Asi

Have tried simply not accepting the requests sent your way?
The problem with that is it uses up a FR space. It is a possible solution, but it also make it messy when you have wanted Friend request you have to be paying attention to that wanted person vs the eventual three four etc unwanted ones. LOL
I do not enjoy getting too many new FR myself. But I do not see it as Inno's problem. Just my personality.