• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Idolatry

DeletedUser3

No, there are people who have "claimed" to have experienced miracles, and then many of them ended up getting money to show up on shows, to publish books, to gain a bit of fame here or there...

As long as there's fringe benefits to claiming a miracle, I will maintain my reasoned skepticism. ;)

DeletedUser22

Idolatry is needed to control the masses. Nothing more and nothing less. It is a powerfull instrument to! People are willing to go a long way to uphold the name of thier idol. Most idolatry comes forth from indoctrination (not only religion, but look at the worship of a Kim Yong Un or his father).

It is commonly used to prevent people from making their own choices or gaining knowledge/wellfare. Religion is just an example as HS stated, but a pretty good one. All religions out there are claiming they are the one true religion and only they worship a real guy in the sky which has never been seen or heared but is only mentioned in a book written by men. A book that lays so many rules to uphold it is nearly impossible to follow all of them so a feeling of guilt and fear is introduced which makes the bond with the idol even stonger. And people pay money to feel associated with this group of people or even worse, willing to give their life for it.

Only people who are willing to see the larger picture here (and I am not going to debate over the existance of any God) can see that they are being scammed. Their might be a God, but why should you pay money or your life to serve him? There are only a few who actually benefit from this and I am pretty sure God isn't one of them. The ones wanting you to belief in God are. But who are they to tell you what to believe or worship?

Look at the wider picture before you indulge yourself into something you really don't fully understand.

DeletedUser

Rephrasing that.... I have only seen a few people who follow the doctrine set out by the teaching of Christ and not the bible in its entirety. Yes I know lol it sounds odd to be too that you can follow one but not the other. I did not start Christianity tho so can only go by what they say. Again is is their religion and seems one that conforms to their beliefs/life styles and not the other way around.

The 10 commandments are kind of like the bill of rights tho. You just can not stop at 10. You have to keep adding rules to get the people to do what you want. Well not you, the "gods".

Oh and I looked at the youtube video and saw no miracles. Just an infomercial for a book to buy.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser3

Well, actually, the ten commandments didn't stop at ten. 613 commandments, from Moses, were presented in the Torah. Roman Catholicism alleges that Jesus freed the Jews from all 613 commandments, but they're still obligated to follow the base ten. The other Christian denominations, although rebelling against Roman Catholicism and not agreeing with that assertion, still ended up posing only the ten commandments in their Bible collections. Good fun...

DeletedUser22

I was merely pointing out the strict rules and how they were a great money scam. You could buy them off in the middle ages. . No sins for the rich!

Modern day idolation scams are out there as well. And they have nothing to do with religion.
A nice example is the music industry. So you like a song of a random kid, lets call him Justin. You even like his music so much that when he releases a lunchbox with his photograph on it, you go and buy it. But he has such a perfect skin on that photo and he says that is because of the cream made of elephant dropppings, so you go out and buy that cream as well. But wait there is more. His hair is shining so much you must have the same shampoo containing horse urine. All because you like someone his music you buy all kinds of random stuff because your idol is associated with it. Do you really think this random Justin cares about any of those products? Hell no, all he thinks of is the money the maufacturer of those products is paying him. That same manufacturer that makes even more profit. All because of idolatry.

* All names appearing in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

DeletedUser34

I am on a unplanned vacation and playing with my granddaughter, otherwise I would be all over this :p
But never fear :p I shall be back home Friday!!! I love discussing components such as this.

DeletedUser

I don't see the above image as idolatry or as a craven image as it is not meant to illicit god like worship of said image... It would take me much more time to discuss the topic if you are referring to the idolatry of the cult of personality

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser34

OK, I am home :p
Had a wonderful visit with my kid and grandkid :D

Not specifically discussing the "christian" issue of Idolatry, I think that it can be found discouraged in every religion and every walk of life....except the hear and now. What I mean is, all religions including the more lenient ones discourage a person from focusing on one single aspect. If you make something the root of your life that is physical, it comes at a cost of something else. For example, if a person is solely focused on money (IE: greed) and that is their idol, they lose site of things like Family, health, etc etc. I don't think that the definitions are very different either. Idolatry is something that is the focus of a being above all else. In the religions that focus on a higher being it is defined as anything that is equal value to the deity. In society, it is still very similar, anything that is of equal value to the overall good of the community. I don't know if I am orating this very well, so if not feel free to question me.

The problem that I find now, is the mentality of if it feels good do it. Do not think about the consequences, or the burden it will place on those around you. You want money? Sell drugs to get it, who cares if it destroys lives and neighborhoods. You want a fast car? Who cares if you have to rob and steal to get it, or work 80 hours a week in order to get it, at the cost of friends and family members who will ultimately pay the price for the "idol". I think the whole concept of Idolatry is to discourage anarchy of actions at the expense of the whole.