• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

If you sew, please read this to help

CherryButterfly

I joined a group today on facebook called Million Mask challenge. It gives patterns, directions, links to other patterns, directions, etc to make homemade face masks for those who are in need, and co-ordinates those in need with donations. They look easy, and there are tons of directions. I am going to dust off my sewing machine tomorrow and investigate...maybe get my teen to help! I see in my area Joann's Fabric has taken this on, and gives "Curbside" service for orders and drop-off point for masks. Others may be offering same, this is what I have seen so far...
Also, sort of related, I had a message from Harbor Freight, a tool store in my area, that they are donating all stocks of masks to hospitals or healthcare workers in need, with instructions to get these to you.
We can all pitch in and do our share, and from someone with major medical issues, PLEASE STAY HOME IF YOU CAN SO WE CAN SLOW THIS RAMPAGE!!!!!

If you can help, please do. :)

I tried to post a link with FAQ, it's too large, google Million Mask Challenge for details...

Thanks a million!!!!

CherryButterfly

Also, if this is posted in the wrong place, please direct me!
I was hoping to catch the eye of anyone interested in helping out, I know we're a small niche bunch who sew anymore...

CherryButterfly

Also again, I did see where Joanns is giving people fabric and other needs if you make these and donate them. They will supposedly bring them to you outside. I'm going to try tomorrow, and will let you know.

CherryButterfly

Yes,
I talked to a nice lady at Joann's Fabric today. She said they are giving away supplies to make the masks if you need, they will first give you a pack to make about 5, when you bring them back, they give you more. right now my store was out of elastic you use, but said please take the fabric, make the masks, use whatever else you can, (he websites are filled with patterns and directions, alternative ideas if you don't have exact supplies), or come back later for elastic to sew. she said they also need people to just help cut out pieces for others to sew together, super easy, basically just cutting straight rectangles out of fabric they give you, and whatever length elastic they are using for ear-holds. would be great for bored teens, anyone looking for something small, but big, to do to help.

Don't know if I can post other websites, but it's facebook- Million Mask Challenge, or Joann's Fabric website for instructions. The lady at Joann's said if you call from out front and tell them how to find you, they'll bring orders out to your car, including any online purchases made.

I am a horrible procrastinator, and have a billion little things to do around the house to keep busy, but I am going to get out my sewing machine and see if i remember how to use it!

She said they really are in demand, you can also come in to their stores with the Classroom, if you want to work there, using their machines and supplies, with all possible precautions, it seems. And, at YOUR OWN RISK AND THAT OF OTHERS AROUND YOU:)!!!!! Yeah, so... don't do that! As most places will soon be limited to necessary movement around town I think, that may not be possible, anyway.

So, JUST STAY HOME!!!!!

I did see a news story someplace today that said hospitals in N.Y. are using garbage bags as gowns. It would be so much nicer to have a hand-made gown, even if your butt will still hang way out for all to see!

DeletedUser34893

That's cool, I was talking to my sister today and she took her sewing machine to work to make masks for the city bus drivers. Thanks Cherry and others!

CherryButterfly

I'm going to make some fabric purchases tonite, and nice girl at Joann's will bring them to my car, along with either patterns to cut fabric, or already cut pieces to sew together. You can buy fabric, or they will give to you. A few at a time to start, but, I get that they don't want to give someone fabric and supplies for hundreds, them see them on E-bay, or whatever... Only big shortage is elastic, apparently, with much coming from China, and people have already started hoarding it, go figure.

The sites mentioned have easy clear instructions, links to everything, and lotsa help, even if you can just barely operate a sewing machine, and she seemed to think they also needed help in just cutting large amounts of pieces to be sewn. Essentially, drawing around a pattern on fabric you have folded to enable you to cut many pieces at a time. And cutting them out. But, many Joanns are closed, some are open just for this or online pickup orders, You'll just have to call yours if you want to help that way. but there are other ways on the facebook site.

I feel like I can only do so much, this happens to be right up my alley, thought if anyone else was interested, they can message me, or just look it up, of course! :)
Pat your sister on the back, Snakeiis and tell her Job Well done! I'm sure folks are so happy to have them, and handmade means people care a little bit more, I think...

Runlittleman

Just so people know the studies of these cloth masks have not been good. Posted in the British Medical Journal, a study titled "
A cluster randomised trial of cloth masks compared with medical masks in healthcare workers",
Found that "Penetration of cloth masks by particles was almost 97% and medical masks 44%. ", so cloth masks aren't very effective at all, and in fact "Conclusions This study is the first RCT of cloth masks, and the results caution against the use of cloth masks. This is an important finding to inform occupational health and safety. Moisture retention, reuse of cloth masks and poor filtration may result in increased risk of infection. Further research is needed to inform the widespread use of cloth masks globally. However, as a precautionary measure, cloth masks should not be recommended for HCWs, particularly in high-risk situations, and guidelines need to be updated. "

Those that have suggested using them over proper equipment could be making it worse if it retains moisture. Zero studies have been done about the effectiveness of these cloth masks vs COVID-19, and only people are offering to help, but not that hospitals will actually use them, or that you are actually protecting anyone. There are far better things to be doing with your time to help your communities.

CherryButterfly

And... now.

Some masks are being made with a pocket so they can add their own filtration as needed. Some are using things like furnace filter, vacuum bags, and antibacterial wipes they have dried out. They are making gowns, caps, and other things our system has already run out of, or that are locked up with some sort of red tape. In New York, patients have been given trash bags to wear instead of gowns. I'd be happier in a gown, but that's just me.
There IS a need for these, but, if you don't want to make them, don't.

Okay? Are we happy now?

What would you suggest Littleman? What should I be doing with my time to help? What are you doing with your time to help?

Please, share.

If you have some ideas, we would all love to jump in and help! :) :):)

CherryButterfly

And dreadful, there is a thing on your typing machine called Spellcheck. You could-a google it or something. Also, there's a thing called Punc-tu-a-tion. Google probably has stuff on that, too.

But, thanks for the advice.