• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Imbalance between Military Strength

ChimaeraW

Are you saying this is a bad thing? It is a great strategy and suggest that you reciprocate.
It is, sometimes, a bad thing, because they would kill two to three of your soldiers at the end of the battle. If they target different soldiers, the damage then would be diversified. I would rather choose the latter.

Johnny B. Goode

It is, sometimes, a bad thing, because they would kill two to three of your soldiers at the end of the battle. If they target different soldiers, the damage then would be diversified. I would rather choose the latter.
I think that the point @Dominator - X was making is that it's a great strategy for you to use, even though it's bad when it's used against you.
I do not like barbarians, either, because they seem to ignore those battle rules. But I usually use artillery or ranged units against them.
They don't ignore battle rules, they have a special ability that makes their remaining units harder to kill for every one of them you kill.

Pericles the Lion

Are you saying this is a bad thing? It is a great strategy and suggest that you reciprocate.
Perhaps not. If you have a well-levelled AO then it's often advantageous to spread it around and not waste potential critical hits on severely damaged enemies especially if your attack boost plus crit is a single shot kill.

xivarmy

Perhaps not. If you have a well-levelled AO then it's often advantageous to spread it around and not waste potential critical hits on severely damaged enemies especially if your attack boost plus crit is a single shot kill.

100% of killing one unit that won't hit you back is still better than (say) 50% chance of 2 wounded units and 50% chance of 1 dead, 1 wounded in almost any situation that it's worth worrying about which is better. The attack reduction from wounding a unit is no more than half (and probably less), and the expected damage reduction from halfing attack is no more than half (and probably less).

The barbarian exception discussed earlier only holds because their stats *before* you kill any barbarians are so pathetically low that you can take some hits if you have to (before you kill any).

Pericles the Lion

100% of killing one unit that won't hit you back is still better than (say) 50% chance of 2 wounded units and 50% chance of 1 dead, 1 wounded in almost any situation that it's worth worrying about which is better. The attack reduction from wounding a unit is no more than half (and probably less), and the expected damage reduction from halfing attack is no more than half (and probably less).
A lot depends on the players Era (Keen Eye?), their attack/defense boost, and the level of attrition. I'm in SAJM, rocking a 2500/1400 boost, and only manually fight at 100+ attrition where I prefer getting hit by many, highly damaged, defenders to getting hit by fewer, full strength ones. YMMV.

xivarmy

A lot depends on the players Era (Keen Eye?), their attack/defense boost, and the level of attrition. I'm in SAJM, rocking a 2500/1400 boost, and only manually fight at 100+ attrition where I prefer getting hit by many, highly damaged, defenders to getting hit by fewer, full strength ones. YMMV.

If you're talking situations where you're trying to count Keen Eye & AO Crit combined procs to get a kill I could maybe see the point (if you get the proc you want it's better, if you don't get enough procs you want you're resetting the fight - and you can always leave finishing off one last wounded unit for the last attack before you have to let them go - where seeing if you get one more proc is a gamble before you swap sides).

But you're not defending shit with 1400 defense boost against 3k+ boosted defenders, even if they are wounded.

Emberguard

I agree killing a unit outright is usually better. There are outlier situations even before Keen Eye where it’s worth considering shifting around which units you hit first (particularly because your own units get reduced attack when wounded). But usually that’s when you have multiple turns left to play with, and can afford to come back to that wounded unit before it gets its turn again, hitting it with your weakest unit to finish it off.

But those are very specific situations that takes time for a player to figure out, and if we’re giving generic, simple to follow advice then simply saying focus on killing one unit is more often than not the correct advice

Pericles the Lion

If you're talking situations where you're trying to count Keen Eye & AO Crit combined procs to get a kill I could maybe see the point (if you get the proc you want it's better, if you don't get enough procs you want you're resetting the fight - and you can always leave finishing off one last wounded unit for the last attack before you have to let them go - where seeing if you get one more proc is a gamble before you swap sides).

But you're not defending shit with 1400 defense boost against 3k+ boosted defenders, even if they are wounded.
Every battle that I fight is a situation where Keen Eye and a %chance for AO Crit apply. Unless I use lower age units, and I don't, there's no way around it.

Johnny B. Goode

Every battle that I fight is a situation where Keen Eye and a %chance for AO Crit apply. Unless I use lower age units, and I don't, there's no way around it.
So what you're saying (that you left out of your original comment) is that you agree that there is a very narrow set of circumstances where it makes sense to hit multiple enemy units even if you're leaving some of them merely wounded when you could finish them off. Which translates to it being a better strategy in the vast majority of cases to finish off each unit you attack if you can before moving on to another unit.

Pericles the Lion

So what you're saying (that you left out of your original comment) is that you agree that there is a very narrow set of circumstances where it makes sense to hit multiple enemy units even if you're leaving some of them merely wounded when you could finish them off. Which translates to it being a better strategy in the vast majority of cases to finish off each unit you attack if you can before moving on to another unit.
Actually, I'm just saying what works best for me. Is it a "narrow set of circumstances"? Maybe, I don't know. I just find it better to hit every unit that can hit me on their first strike then come back to finish any survivors off on my second strike. I can fight to higher attrition, taking fewer losses.

xivarmy

I meant that you're specifically trying for a particular number of double-procs (that are *both* crit & keen eye and therefore are 1-shots from 4 base damage; where keen eye alone requires 5, and AO alone requires 7.

I have however tested the damage formula adjustment for taking hits - and the way it lines up there's almost no situation where absent other considerations taking 2 hits from wounded units is better than 1 hit from a full health unit. You might get lucky on top for it to seem that way, but there's no mathematical reason for it to be better on average.

ChimaeraW

In most cases, yes; but I do not find it useful when using Paratroopers. The enemy's troopers usually take the first attack and target my Rogues (if there were any); but, occasionally, they would target my Mechanized Artillery and killed it first. Whilst the enemy's attack and defence bonuses are very low and much lower than mine, their paratroopers are still able to deal the same level of damage to my artillery. The fast units target one battle tank until it dies. It again proves that attack (183%) and defence (108%) bonuses are useuless.

This is why Alcatraz is necessary, because no player in the game, no matter how high the attack and defence bonuses are, would be able to sustain without getting units from the Alcatraz.

Pericles the Lion

In most cases, yes; but I do not find it useful when using Paratroopers. The enemy's troopers usually take the first attack and target my Rogues (if there were any); but, occasionally, they would target my Mechanized Artillery and killed it first. Whilst the enemy's attack and defence bonuses are very low and much lower than mine, their paratroopers are still able to deal the same level of damage to my artillery. The fast units target one battle tank until it dies. It again proves that attack (183%) and defence (108%) bonuses are useuless.

This is why Alcatraz is necessary, because no player in the game, no matter how high the attack and defence bonuses are, would be able to sustain without getting units from the Alcatraz.
Your 183%/108% boost in ME is not "useless", it's just too low to be of much benefit.

Dursland

I agree, 183/108 is low for ME. In Dilmun I'm in Colonial and already have 195/117%. I'd hope to have at least 300% attack by ME.