Improvements to the Army Management

Super Catanian

This proposal will include a few changes that could be made to the Army Management window, so I don't have to make individual proposals for each one.

Currently in the Army Management, at the bottom, are displayed all of your units. Each one is shown individually, and it can be tedious to scroll down all of them, even with filters.
I am proposing that the units be “stacked”, kind of like a deck of cards. All identical units would be in one stack, with a number in the corner denoting how many of that unit you have in your Army Management. There will be different stacks for attached and unattached troops.
Additionally, if you have 100 units or more, a "+99" will be displayed instead.
If you have 8 Champions of the same age, they would be displayed as 1 single Champion, with an “8” at the corner to let you know how many of them you have.
Any injured units are still displayed normally.
Selecting units in order to place them in your selected Army stays pretty much the same. This is more of a visual change.

For visual aids, go to @Emberguard's post at the bottom of this page, or
https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/improvements-to-the-army-management.26412/#post-261128

It won't be possible to stack units in your Selected Army, nor in the City Defenders.

Am looking forward to your feedback!

Last edited:

Clara Osgood

I've no issue with improving how the total # of each unit is displayed.

But as for your second suggestion... I see no point to such a change. Why on earth does it matter if a selected unit's stats are shown clearly in a popup box or shown clearly in the General's box? Can you seriously not think of some other type of info that would be useful there?

Stephen Longshanks

Forum Moderator
So how do you deal with selecting units? For example, if you click on a troop type that has multiple copies, do you have to still click 8 times to select 8 of them? I don't really see the point of this change, since you can already filter by unit type and age to find the units you want. With this change, you'd either still have to click the unit type however many times for the number you want in your attacking army, or (worse yet) click on the unit type and then enter a number. Doesn't seem to me to be much of an improvement.

And thinking of the mobile interface, you would have to completely change how units are selected. Right now you can either drag a unit into your 8 man army, or tap a unit and then select it. Neither of those would work with this change. You would have to add a step to designate how many of the unit you wish to use.

Sorry, but I'm a no on this one.

ODragon

I don't really see the point of this change, since you can already filter by unit type and age to find the units you want. With this change, you'd either still have to click the unit type however many times for the number you want in your attacking army, or (worse yet) click on the unit type and then enter a number. Doesn't seem to me to be much of an improvement.
I can see some benefit, especially when it comes to even getting to rogues/drummers/flagers on the list. Right now, when I select light units, I have 3 Conscripts, 22 Jaegers, 22 Rangers, some LMA, HMA, IA, BA. If they were all stacked, I could see them all on the same page without having to scroll.

To me, removing the necessity to scroll (or scroll a lot less) alone is enough to get a plus from me.

As for selecting age, I've found that to be more cumbersome than scrolling so I almost never use it, then again, most of the time, I want the newest troops (current age) + rogues which age select doesn't help with.

Super Catanian

or example, if you click on a troop type that has multiple copies, do you have to still click 8 times to select 8 of them?
In a sense, yes. If you are hovering over Champions, for example, clicking on the stack repeatedly will fill up your selected Army with said Champions, similar to the current system on PC. Like repeatedly drawing cards from a deck.

With this change, you'd either still have to click the unit type however many times for the number you want in your attacking army,
Yes, that stays the same. What I am asking for is more of a visual change, and not too much of a mechanical change (at least, the first suggestion).

or (worse yet) click on the unit type and then enter a number.
Don't worry, no number input!

Right now you can either drag a unit into your 8 man army, or tap a unit and then select it.
That will also stay the same. If selecting units by dragging onto the selected Army, the number will go down by one. Again, kind of like drawing cards from a deck (in this case, a deck of identical cards); you take the top card, place it face up in front of you, and now there are less cards left in the deck.
Similarly, if selecting a unit by tapping it and selecting it, the number of units left in the "deck" decrease accordingly.
This proposal is mainly to reduce the space taken up by the units.

Last edited:

Stephen Longshanks

Forum Moderator
To me, removing the necessity to scroll (or scroll a lot less) alone is enough to get a plus from me.
I never scroll. I click the spot on the bar below the units that I know will take me to the beginning of the Rogues and the display goes there directly. No scrolling once you know where that spot is, which is child's play to figure out. I know exactly where to click on all 5 of my worlds that have a multitude of troops. And on the one world where I'm in OF but using FE Hover Tanks, I also know exactly what spot to click to take the display to where the Hover Tanks start. So I see no benefit in this.
As for selecting age, I've found that to be more cumbersome than scrolling so I almost never use it, then again, most of the time, I want the newest troops (current age) + rogues which age select doesn't help with.
The only time I select age is if I'm fighting on mobile (which I try to avoid) and want to get to Rogues. And I don't find it cumbersome at all on mobile. And I rarely select age on PC unless I'm attacking 2 Spear defenses for the few tower points I can get from lower ages.
This proposal is mainly to reduce the space taken up by the units.
You should have left this line out. It's the worst reason to support this proposal because the amount of space taken up is minimal and since it's virtual space it is really irrelevant how much of it is taken up. (And I hope you're not talking about server space because I doubt that would change to any meaningful degree.)

Emberguard

Injured troops are in their own stacks depending on how many HP they have left.
You're right, there is no way to differentiate between attached and unattached. Will edit accordingly!
So basically instead of 20 we'd reduce it to 4. Drag and drop like now just with less to sort through while still retaining all options from before

Current:

Proposed: